BajaNomad

Punta Chivato Road report

Russ - 9-3-2017 at 03:26 PM

I wish I had some good news or a complete road report. This morning we rode out to see just how far we could go. The road on the Chivato side of the estuary is in excellent condition. Only a couple wet spots but smooth in most places. The puddle just before the estuary is again a mud bog but it is easy to go around on the trail they blazed last year. At the estuary you find a mud flat - water channel and more mud up and over to last years wash outs. Sorry I didn't even try to cross the 1st mud flat. Just a couple feet into the mud it's ankle deep. We have plans to head out the old road, maybe fish Deadmans and try to get over to San Marcos Tierra to fish or maybe try to get to PV the old road.
Here Rich and Bob check out the estuary from just above the 1st mud flat, the the water hazard and the white spot is the road and more mud.

Looking back towards Chivato is the big mud puddle we went around.

Well, Bob and I did I think Rich got thru it and we met him on the other side. There's a truck parked up behind the bush. And another truck on the other side of the estuary that didn't move. The bugs while riding were really bad. We had to drive thru swarms of them and always were hit by them enough to wear a towel over our faces for protection. Got a bandana for tomorrows ride. More tomorrow.

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by Russ]

David K - 9-3-2017 at 03:34 PM

Hope you don't need any tomatoes tonight!

Russ - 9-3-2017 at 03:40 PM

Me too

Meany - 9-3-2017 at 03:56 PM

Thanks for the report Russ. It looks like it always dos after a big rain. Have fun to tomorrow Hope the fish are willing?? Will be interesting to see what the Estuary looks like.

bajabuddha - 9-3-2017 at 04:02 PM

With that much standing water could mean a Degue outbreak again in your area... hope you have lots of OFF. Any word from Dos Amigos and San Lucas/Sta. R. yet? Also, eat lots of banana, so when the lil' drillers come down to bite they slip and break their lil' noses! Hope the fish are biting.

Russ - 9-3-2017 at 04:22 PM

I don't normally have contacts with the outside world so have no reports on towns from Mulege to Santa Rosalia. Pescador has friends out there and may provide some info. Damn mosquitos! Not bad here on the water front....yet.

Russ - 9-4-2017 at 07:43 AM

Just informed that some workers came in and one truck was a 2x4. I'm going the other direction this morning but will report as soon as I get out our road to PV.

BajaMama - 9-4-2017 at 07:50 AM

Thanks for the updates Russ. We are heading down first week of October, am sure road will be open by then and hopefully no more storms!

Russ - 9-6-2017 at 11:50 AM

Got out this morning for another tour and ended up checking out the estuary crossing. Lots of workers are crossing and a few residence have returned as well. So the road is passable. It is rough around the estuary and the water crossing is about 18" deep depending on the tide.
1st shot heading to PV before the estuary where we made a detour Monday.

From the top of the hill before crossing towards PV

returning from PV towards PC

[Edited on 9-6-2017 by Russ]

BigBearRider - 9-6-2017 at 04:00 PM

Looks fun, Russ!

Meany - 9-7-2017 at 08:02 AM

Thanks for the update Russ.:o