BajaNomad

Agua Verde

Skipjack Joe - 9-3-2017 at 03:54 PM

IMG_2923_psd8_nomads.jpg - 246kB

Meany - 9-3-2017 at 04:00 PM

COOL Picture.:bounce:

bajabuddha - 9-3-2017 at 04:05 PM

Ain't that on the north end where the warm spring is.... drive in at low tide on the rock shelf?

Skipjack Joe - 9-3-2017 at 04:14 PM

I'm not aware of a spring there. The beach is just past the point and to the right. The shot was made from the east looking west.

David K - 9-3-2017 at 06:39 PM

The hot spring in the tidal zone is reached from San Cosme, at the bottom of the grade, then north along the sea, at low tide.

JZ - 9-3-2017 at 07:15 PM

Nice pic. Took my boat there from the mainland last year. Have some drone shots somewhere.

[Edited on 9-4-2017 by JZ]

BajaBlanca - 9-3-2017 at 08:14 PM

I don't think we shall ever go and I have always been curious as to what it looked like! Thanks for sharing.

Skipjack Joe - 9-3-2017 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I don't think we shall ever go and I have always been curious as to what it looked like! Thanks for sharing.

Better go soon. They're paving the road there. It won't be the same after that.

David K - 9-4-2017 at 11:16 AM

The paving only goes a few miles, not even to the drop-off, and ends. No indication of any additional work planned ( no government bragging signs, no equipment, no materials staged).

Skipjack Joe - 9-4-2017 at 12:04 PM

I can't remember where the pavement ends but I know that it goes at least to Ultima Agua and I think it goes to the rim of the canyon. I photographed the canyon and above extensively for 2 days. Once you drop to the Cortez there are white signs everywhere about the development of the road. You can't miss them. The pavement last spring looked pretty new in some places. There were mounds of gravel by the graded road marked for development. There was a crew working the road at the canyon but I think they were mostly reinforcing the most dangerous section of the road (which is paved).

BajaBlanca - 9-4-2017 at 12:10 PM

Hard to admit it but I am just getting too old to be toodling around scary roads anymore LOL

David K - 9-4-2017 at 01:35 PM

I was there about 2 weeks ago, and the details and photos are in my trip report. In breif, the paving ends at Km.10 (6.2 miles from Hwy 1). The top of the grade is just past Km. 17, or 4 1/2 miles past the pavement.
I did not go down the grade, I was uneasy about the new battery I just got that day in Constitucion.

TMW - 9-4-2017 at 01:51 PM

If you want to do a great trail run take the trail up the mountain to Constitucion. Hard to get lost, just follow the most used tracks. If in doubt ask any ranch hand.

GE Image with GPS turn off points.

Skipjack Joe - 9-4-2017 at 02:18 PM

The camp spot in TMW's map is a nice place for a short stay. When the tide is out you can walk to the nearest island. A large blue crab that had buried itself bit my big toe on that beach. And held on.

Tomas Tierra had told me about that road leading out of Agua Verde.

Skipjack Joe - 9-4-2017 at 02:32 PM

Too bad you didn't drive down. That's where all the beauty is.

IMG_2847_psd3_nomads.jpg - 246kB

TMW - 9-4-2017 at 02:33 PM

The trail was just opened this past year after heavy rains had wiped it out in 2014. Beautiful country. That camp spot is a really good one with clear water. I didn't try fishing there so I can't say if it's any good. To the right where it says Bahia Agua Verde is where sail boats anchor and a really nice sandy beach.

David K - 9-4-2017 at 02:34 PM

Yes, great place! I camped there in 2001. An old cemetery is on the hillside nearby.

Bahia Agua Verde

Skipjack Joe - 9-4-2017 at 03:23 PM

... from the point looking towards the bay and the main beach.

IMG_2818_psd2_nomads.jpg - 246kB

David K - 9-4-2017 at 04:03 PM

Beautiful photo Igor.

Skipjack Joe - 9-4-2017 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Beautiful photo Igor.

Thanks. I think I oversaturated that one a bit, especially the blues.

TMW's nice sandy beach

Skipjack Joe - 9-4-2017 at 04:24 PM

... at the far end.

IMG_2783_psd1-nomads.jpg - 249kB

TMW - 9-4-2017 at 04:48 PM

That is a beautiful picture.

BajaBlanca - 9-5-2017 at 08:59 AM

Is that a house at the end of the beach? Someone chose a magic spot!

AKgringo - 9-5-2017 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Hard to admit it but I am just getting too old to be toodling around scary roads anymore LOL

Blanca, you should make the drive down to Agua Verde when you have a couple of extra hours on your way through Loreto. The road is narrow in places, and fairly steep, but you won't need off road skills to drive it.

Sections of highway one are far more scary with wide loads, speeding buses and cars on a road with no shoulders!

Skipjack Joe - 9-5-2017 at 03:01 PM

A lot of boats like to anchor here overnight

IMG_2816_psd1_nomads.jpg - 250kB

JZ - 9-5-2017 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you want to do a great trail run take the trail up the mountain to Constitucion. Hard to get lost, just follow the most used tracks. If in doubt ask any ranch hand.

[/URL]

Gonna either ride up it or down it in November.

Tomas Tierra - 9-5-2017 at 06:23 PM

GE Image with GPS turn off points.

We did that trip up to San Jose de la Noria last April. It was fantastic!! They had just graded the hill thankfully.. "the most beautiful driveable canyon in Baja" somebody on here said.. Best I've seen

Tomas Tierra - 9-5-2017 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

[/URL]

Gonna either ride up it or down it in November.

Would be super fun on a bike. Take the cut off to the ice plant by insurgentes, unless your heading back south

JZ - 9-6-2017 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  

Would be super fun on a bike. Take the cut off to the ice plant by insurgentes, unless your heading back south

Where's that?

Tomas Tierra - 9-7-2017 at 05:22 PM

If you are going to go down in to AV on that trail you can access it by the ice plant heading east out of insurjentes.. Instead of going to constitution and then east

JZ - 9-7-2017 at 05:52 PM

If you are going to go down in to AV on that trail you can access it by the ice plant heading east out of insurjentes.. Instead of going to constitution and then east

Ok, I'll look for it. Just mapped out on GE what I think is the route.

TMW - 9-8-2017 at 02:08 PM

What are the GPS coordinates for the ice plant. Maybe it's a better route.

It's pretty easy in Constitucion. Go east at the first street just past (south) of the Ley's mkt on the south end of town.

Tomas Tierra - 9-9-2017 at 12:47 PM

I missed the turn for the ice plant when I did it. Saw it , but didn't take it..

You have the route out nailed. Whether or not you find the ice plant road, you have already done the good stuff. If you are going back towards loreto the cut off will save some time.. Don't have the gps cords but it is in the almanac.. First major road to the right after leaving insurgentes.. Have fun! Would love to hear about the condition of the road after the storm.. Also the effects of the storm in AV.. Say hello to Tio Jaun in AV for me please!

TT

Tomas Tierra - 9-9-2017 at 12:50 PM

What are the GPS coordinates for the ice plant. Maybe it's a better route.

It's pretty easy in Constitucion. Go east at the first street just past (south) of the Ley's mkt on the south end of town.

Turn right just before the big jog to the left

JZ - 11-8-2017 at 02:16 PM

I missed the turn for the ice plant when I did it. Saw it , but didn't take it..

You have the route out nailed. Whether or not you find the ice plant road, you have already done the good stuff. If you are going back towards loreto the cut off will save some time.. Don't have the gps cords but it is in the almanac.. First major road to the right after leaving insurgentes.. Have fun! Would love to hear about the condition of the road after the storm.. Also the effects of the storm in AV.. Say hello to Tio Jaun in AV for me please!

TT

Just mapped it out. Look right? Seems like it will save 30 miles when heading back into Loreto.

[Edited on 11-8-2017 by JZ]

gueribo - 11-8-2017 at 09:19 PM

Love the photos, Skipjack Joe. Thanks.

baitcast - 11-16-2017 at 10:13 AM

I love the blues Igor.....what a beautiful spot...how I miss all of that!
Rob

Tomas Tierra - 11-25-2017 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

TT

Just mapped it out. Look right? Seems like it will save 30 miles when heading back into Loreto.

[Edited on 11-8-2017 by JZ]

You got it Amigo, that's the route

Sorry for the late response. Have you done the ride yet?? Please report back on Tio and the road down the hill from San Jose de la Noria...

TT