BajaNomad

temporary or permanent resident visa

nelson - 9-7-2017 at 07:47 PM

Do I require a temporary or a permanent resident visa to own a house in the Baja? We are not planning on spending more than 180 days a year in Mexico so wanting to know if a visitor visa is fine?

mtnpop - 9-7-2017 at 08:38 PM

We have been told this is so if you are doing fideicomiso property.
Don't know if you buy a house on leased ground.. that usually does not get processed thru a Notario..

The Notario in Santa Rosalia will not process a transaction on a fideicomiso property unless the seller and buyer have residence status. I believe that even applies to corporation set-up
This info is coming from the attorney that several of our friends are using in Mulege...
We have a non-profit corp for our community and to be a member with voting status you have to have temp or prem resident...

This will probably draw all kinds of chatter from different areas..

This is what we have been informed of for over a year now..
Not supposed to own property with tourist status...

will be interesting to see the general consensus on this one..

bajaguy - 9-7-2017 at 09:16 PM

If you "own" a place, you are not a tourist. Look into Residente Temporal status

gnukid - 9-7-2017 at 09:17 PM

It's not required - up to interpretation. Do what is right for you.

karenintx - 9-8-2017 at 09:12 AM

Here is an article I read this morning...

http://www.banderasnews.com/1709/nr-mexico-cracking-down-on-...

I personally do not have an opinion just pasting along info.

shari - 9-8-2017 at 09:44 AM

My brother has a Mexican corporation and rents his house out...he only has a tourist visa and visits occasionally.

BajaBlanca - 9-8-2017 at 09:45 AM

Les bought a house and put a fide on it many years before he became a permanent resident and now as citizens, we removed the fide and put it into our names.