BajaNomad

Setting up Cdn. 5th wheel in Baja

mrioux - 9-10-2017 at 08:55 AM

Did searches and can't find info on what is involved with Mexican authorities in bringing a 5th wheel from Canada and setting it up on a rental lot somehere in Baja for a few years in order to spend warmer winters than Northern BC. Info would be appreciated.

SFandH - 9-10-2017 at 09:05 AM

I don't know of any problems with gov officials, especially if you're keeping it on private property. On the road you'll need valid registration paperwork. What are your concerns?

[Edited on 9-10-2017 by SFandH]

David K - 9-10-2017 at 09:47 AM

This was the deal... and those Nomads who are following the rules in Mexico can confirm (please):

You are supposed to have the correct visa because tourists (FMM, tourist card holders) cannot leave any property in Mexico when their vacation is over and they are north of the border.

You can buy or rent or lease with the FMM, but then should obtain the correct visa to become a 'part-time resident'.

Once you go back to the same place, over and over, where you have property, you are no longer a 'tourist'. This is as much to give you legal protection as it is to follow immigration law.[/]

shari - 9-10-2017 at 10:36 AM

Welcome paisano to the Nomad sandbox! Just come down on a tourist visa and find your paradise to try on to see if it fits! Then later you can deal with immigration decisions.

We have a few canucks living the winters here in Bahia Asuncion in their 5th wheels and love it! There are lots of lots for rent and sale under $5 grand.

Lee - 9-10-2017 at 11:10 AM

Take shari's advice. Drive down, set up, leave it, repeat.

Not sure about how to address this with MX insurance. When I renew my insurance for my RV, there's the question: how long is your vehicle in Baja? More or less than 180 days.

I have annual covering theft, fire, flood, etc.

IMO, jury is out on whether you'll need more than tourist status involving insurance.

I.e., tourists renew every 6 months. Annual coverage might imply more than tourist status?

AKgringo - 9-10-2017 at 11:47 AM

This year, I plan on making at least two tips SOB, for three or four weeks each. Annual coverage is cheaper than two short term policies.