BajaNomad

Travel

kahenthorn - 9-13-2017 at 11:23 AM

My husband is a gringo and his safety along the highway is an important part of our decision to visit BCS for the month of December. He'd be having to travel to Los Cabos and back to either Todos Santos, Pescadero or wherever else we can find a place to stay, if we can, on a weekly basis or at least twice during the month of December. Advice....

StuckSucks - 9-13-2017 at 11:26 AM

So, your questions are ... ?

David K - 9-13-2017 at 11:30 AM

See my Trip Report #6, August 2017.
Safety was never a concern of mine.
More crime against 'gringos' occurs daily in L.A. (or many American cities) than in Baja in a year, or more!

woody with a view - 9-13-2017 at 11:34 AM

Don't go is you're worried about your husbands safety. You'll be okay but he won't?

Bajaboy - 9-13-2017 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kahenthorn  
My husband is a gringo and his safety along the highway is an important part of our decision to visit BCS for the month of December. He'd be having to travel to Los Cabos and back to either Todos Santos, Pescadero or wherever else we can find a place to stay, if we can, on a weekly basis or at least twice during the month of December. Advice....

Plenty of husbands travel that section of Baja Sur. He should be okay:?:

mtgoat666 - 9-13-2017 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

pretty clear from reading her post that she did not ask a question.

woody with a view - 9-13-2017 at 11:55 AM

👍👀

[Edited on 9-13-2017 by woody with a view]

tiotomasbcs - 9-13-2017 at 12:18 PM

One of the nicest/safest sections of road until you get to CSL.... along the coast!
Only danger is ditching the job for an empty beach?

norte - 9-13-2017 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
See my Trip Report #6, August 2017.
Safety was never a concern of mine.
More crime against 'gringos' occurs daily in L.A. (or many American cities) than in Baja in a year, or more!

Could that be because there are more gringos in the USA...

That being said there has been crime along the corridor of TS and CSL. Keep your eyes open, be aware and read the Mexican News for the area. US news and travel websites hide crime from the average tourist.

David K - 9-13-2017 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

pretty clear from reading her post that she did not ask a question.

The last word was "Advice"
A request for information.
We Nomads are very comfortable driving in Baja so I think we are letting her know that. If she has specific questions (StuckSucks...), it would be great to know them.

A final point... this is posted in the Baja Travel Articles forum, so Doug will likely move it to the Baja Q & A or General Discussion forum?

kahenthorn - 9-13-2017 at 12:26 PM

I didn't really ask a question, was looking for input about traveling along the highway for gringos. I didn't make that very clear, my apologies. I'm not worried about my safety or the safety of my children, only his because he might have to travel at night and so frequently along the highway. Road conditions, that travel permit thing, animals, etc.... Just trying to get as many ducks in a row as we can before, should we actually find a place to stay.
Thanks for the information

norte - 9-13-2017 at 12:30 PM

Traveling at night is a lot more dangerous than traveling during the day.

mtgoat666 - 9-13-2017 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kahenthorn  
I didn't really ask a question, was looking for input about traveling along the highway for gringos. I didn't make that very clear, my apologies. I'm not worried about my safety or the safety of my children, only his because he might have to travel at night and so frequently along the highway. Road conditions, that travel permit thing, animals, etc.... Just trying to get as many ducks in a row as we can before, should we actually find a place to stay.
Thanks for the information

if you got a choice, don't do long highway drives at night.
it's not thieves to worry about, but unmarked road hazards, livestock, cars without lights on, etc.

shari - 9-13-2017 at 01:36 PM

welcome to the Nomad sandbox! I suggested she join Nomads as she wants to bring her family(2 homeschooled kids) down for a month or two and her husband has some gig in CAbos he has to go back and forth from once a week. She was going to rent a casita here but I thought it was just too far for her husband to drive every week and suggested the Todos Santos area.

I mentioned that Nomad had some nice folks on here from that area who may know of a cozy rental for them....they are experienced travelers and not super fussy so a cabin would be fine. Seem like real nice folks....so maybe Lee or TioTomas or someone can help them find something.

tiotomasbcs - 9-13-2017 at 05:02 PM

Just posted on her other thread. You might need to advise her re U2U and private messg. Her price range is really low unless we find her a Cabin w/no running water like Tofino, ja, ja, ja! Smiles Tomas

motoged - 9-13-2017 at 06:54 PM

Original poster might check out this rental in Todos Santos...I liked it a couple of years ago....5 minutes north of town...

http://www.casarancho.net/