BajaNomad

Punta Cabras THEFT

Larry Young - 9-15-2017 at 05:39 PM

Hola,

I want to alert people to a theft problem happening out at Punta Cabras. We have been camping there for about 20 years and have traveled all over Baja camping, etc. So, I am bummed to to say the least.

I had a bunch of camping end surfing gear stolen during the night while we were sleeping 9/02/17. I shrugged it off and moved on, could happen anywhere, even home in San Diego, right?

I was back, just surfing, on another trip passing through 9/08. And, more stuff was stolen out of the back of my truck. We're at about $1,200 now and what a massive pain in the middle of a trip!

I brought it up with some Erendira locals and apparently they are having problems there too. My buddies house in Erendira where we were staying had the door kicked in and all of his liquor stolen. I wetn to the Police Station to file a report. They told me that the DJ at a big Punta Cabras rave event had his equipment stolen. They recovered it and said they'd try to do the same for me.

So, I'd stay away from that area. I certainly am.

I'd be very interested in other related stories. Especially if the problem gets cleared up.

Larry

David K - 9-15-2017 at 06:01 PM

Major bummer Larry.
So sorry for the criminal activity that just ruins everything for locals and tourists.

Udo - 9-15-2017 at 06:19 PM

Not a good omen when a first time poster posts about the crime in his favorite area.

Welcome anyway, Larry

mtgoat666 - 9-15-2017 at 07:07 PM

Generally, pacific beach camping outside of campgrounds anywere north of san quintin has been crime problem for a decade or more. People really shouldn't be beach camping in this area, unless you are REALLY far off the roads. Sorry the OP learned the hard way.

SFandH - 9-15-2017 at 07:08 PM

Seems I've read similar Cabras stories lately. Theft at night while folks are asleep. Pretty bold thieves, they must drive in.

I have a little yapper dog that sleeps with one very sensitive ear open. Makes a lot of noise at the slightest disturbance. Better than my last best bud, 50 pounds that would sleep through blaring Mexican karaoke.

Mexico is thick with thieves.

elgatoloco - 9-15-2017 at 08:13 PM

Larry, sad to hear and thanks for the alert. It is much appreciated. I wish I could say its a surprise but lots more folks means lots more bad stuff could happen. Everyone stay safe and be vigilant out there.

BooJumMan - 9-15-2017 at 08:18 PM

Yes, same here. We had guys going through the campsite at night, nothing was taken because I locked everything up.

bajatrailrider - 9-16-2017 at 07:41 AM

There is a band of thieves in Erendria that the local police know very well. A small reward to police will more then likely get things back. Always lock your things up while camping and camp in groups.

Udo - 9-16-2017 at 07:54 AM

In some places, the thieves are so bold that they unzip your tent while you are sleeping, and reach for anything they can get.

David K - 9-16-2017 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
In some places, the thieves are so bold that they unzip your tent while you are sleeping, and reach for anything they can get.

That is just creepy and why I camp at the end of a 4WD only road (when I can)! Thieves go for the easy mark and never go off-roading to commit a crime. So, the advice here is to stay in a secure campground or with other campers (power in numbers).

Does Coyote Cal's have a camping area next to their hostel?
I will be going into that area soon and take photos. Last time I camped at Punta Cabras, it was with several other Nomads/ Amigos de Baja, in 2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/cabras/

Update: Coyote Cals does indeed offer camping and I highly recommend the place! www.coyotecals.com

[Edited on 10-20-2017 by David K]

bajatrailrider - 9-16-2017 at 08:59 AM

Yes on camp Coyote even there lock your things . When I camp my dogs are there. They will meet the no goods at night.

Larry Young - 9-16-2017 at 09:48 AM

Yeah, we typically only camp in very remote areas and went on to an awesome area 30 miles south of Punta Baja. Local fisherman came out and welcomed us. So, I am undeterred, just a little wiser (and jaded). Punta Cabras used to be somewhat that way but a lot more people have moved in and the road is too good now.

I talked to a crusty Gringo in Ensenada who has camped all over including mainland. Of course, dogs help (ours was home with my wife) and he had a great suggestion. Solar powered landscape lights! Or, you can get the motion sensor spots. Also, tie anything you can't lock up with fishing line.

Thanks for the welcome and feedback. I have been lurking on here for years. Time to get involved and contribute!

Mil Gracias for all of the years of information Baja Nomads!

Larry

JoeJustJoe - 9-16-2017 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Generally, pacific beach camping outside of campgrounds anywere north of san quintin has been crime problem for a decade or more. People really shouldn't be beach camping in this area, unless you are REALLY far off the roads. Sorry the OP learned the hard way.

C'mon, Goat, you don't actually believe this story from supposedly a first time poster, that just happens to come to "Baja Nomad' to warn everybody to stay away from a certain area of Mexico?

This part of the post gives it away, because the Mexico haters, just hate it ex-pats, and others say, " it could anywhere." They go absolutely nuts, when they hear anybody say, " crime, death, it could happen anywhere."

There is one more hint about this post Goat, but I won't mention it, because I don't want to promote certain sites.

One thing I'm certain of, this first time OP, has been around, and he seems to be bothered that some say,' could happen anywhere."

OP wrote: ""I shrugged it off and moved on, could happen anywhere, even home in San Diego, right?"

willardguy - 9-16-2017 at 09:54 AM

and it was going so well.....:rolleyes:

Mexitron - 9-16-2017 at 09:57 AM

Motion sensor lights:light:

My buddy woke up one night to find a thief in his tent going through things, brazen to say the least. This was down the coast a bit in the Quatras Casas area. I think they figure gringos get drunk and sleep so soundly they can get away with it.

SFandH - 9-16-2017 at 10:07 AM

This is exactly why I got spooked and decided not to stay in Santa Inez at Catavina when I pulled in and nobody else was there. Even with my alert dog and the fact the camper locks from the inside.

Damn!

Boulder bob222 - 9-16-2017 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

C'mon, Goat, you don't actually believe this story from supposedly a first time poster, that just happens to come to "Baja Nomad' to warn everybody to stay away from a certain area of Mexico?

This part of the post gives it away, because the Mexico haters, just hate it ex-pats, and others say, " it could anywhere." They go absolutely nuts, when they hear anybody say, " crime, death, it could happen anywhere."

There is one more hint about this post Goat, but I won't mention it, because I don't want to promote certain sites.

One thing I'm certain of, this first time OP, has been around, and he seems to be bothered that some say,' could happen anywhere."

OP wrote: ""I shrugged it off and moved on, could happen anywhere, even home in San Diego, right?"

Tell us about your camping experiences in Baja Sr. Joto.:lol:

JoeJustJoe - 9-16-2017 at 11:15 AM

I usually don't answer newbies with less than 100 posts, especially when they troll.

But Boulder bob222, is a perfect example of a second handle troll. Over 1/2 his posts are involved in bashing other, long time members of "Baja Nomad" and he seems to know, or think he knows the history of members of this site, although he is supposedly a newbie, and things he talked about happened years before. So unless, he pulled up old posts years old, he is a second handle.

My camping expensive is limited to when my kids were young, and now they are all young adults, and I don't go camping. I have other better hobbies.

But if I could criticize one thing about Baja, it's camping, and loud noise which is mostly loud music. It's the same thing as sleeping in a hotel under a bar, in some camp grounds in Baja.

BajaBlanca - 9-16-2017 at 08:18 PM

I am sorry you got your stuff stolen! No matter what the circumstances, it is awful.

:fire:

carlosg - 9-16-2017 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Larry Young  
Hola,

I want to alert people to a theft problem happening out at Punta Cabras. We have been camping there for about 20 years...

I had a bunch of camping end surfing gear stolen during the night while we were sleeping 9/02/17....

... on another trip passing through 9/08...

Larry

There's something wrong here: the OP gets robbed and then after SIX days he returns to the same area and gets robbed again?... what is he trying to prove? Come on... be REAL... what is your intention with this troll... if you go back you're looking for it...!!!

Hook - 9-16-2017 at 08:55 PM

I usually don't answer newbies with less than 100 posts, especially when they troll.

Your excessive count is as good a proof as any that quantity is immaterial to reality.

Exactly what was he trolling for here? He's warning us about a situation that occurs in many parts of Mexico. He even mitigated the accusations with an acknowledgement that it could happen in San Diego.

If he was trolling, the "fish" that thrashed the water with the biggest strike and swallowed it hook, line and sinker was...............YOU!!

Maybe he was trolling for your usual illogical argument ?????? :lol: That's a sure bite.

Your arguments never have any basis in fact. All supposition, all un-founded accusation, all the time.

Do you really think you have any credibility on Nomads, at this point? I can't see how. :?:

[Edited on 9-17-2017 by Hook]

DaliDali - 9-17-2017 at 05:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Your excessive count is as good a proof as any that quantity is immaterial to reality.

Exactly what was he trolling for here? He's warning us about a situation that occurs in many parts of Mexico. He even mitigated the accusations with an acknowledgement that it could happen in San Diego.

If he was trolling, the "fish" that thrashed the water with the biggest strike and swallowed it hook, line and sinker was...............YOU!!

Maybe he was trolling for your usual illogical argument ?????? :lol: That's a sure bite.

Your arguments never have any basis in fact. All supposition, all un-founded accusation, all the time.

Do you really think you have any credibility on Nomads, at this point? I can't see how. :?:

[Edited on 9-17-2017 by Hook]

Bingo.....another nail hit square on the head.

bajatrailrider - 10-20-2017 at 08:58 AM

Just to add to this story I just happened to talk to Erendira police chief. I asked him about the Gang that lives there. Stealing motos , breaking in homes. He showed me on his cel phone 4 pictures of the gang members. So I asked why is this a on going problem you know where they live. He had no answer.

Enrique2012 - 10-20-2017 at 09:15 AM

I understand there are no certainties in life, but... I believe I have a fail-proof way not to be robbed while camping in Baja. I have camped on the Pacific shores of Baja at least 200+ times without having a single item stolen. My strategy is simple, but it does depend on another persons schedule.

How I do it: Before every trip I make sure that JoeJustJoe is available. Shortly after setting up my campsite I post JoeJustJoe about 50 to 100 feet inland on my campsite (he needs to be far enough away that you can't hear him). His repellent effect is amazing, he even keeps snakes and insects away. One caveat, it's important to have a pickup truck so Joe can ride in the bed. Trust me, you don't want him in the passenger compartment.

willardguy - 10-20-2017 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  
I understand there are no certainties in life, but... I believe I have a fail-proof way not to be robbed while camping in Baja. I have camped on the Pacific shores of Baja at least 200+ times without having a single item stolen. My strategy is simple, but it does depend on another persons schedule.

How I do it: Before every trip I make sure that JoeJustJoe is available. Shortly after setting up my campsite I post JoeJustJoe about 50 to 100 feet inland on my campsite (he needs to be far enough away that you can't hear him). His repellent effect is amazing, he even keeps snakes and insects away. One caveat, it's important to have a pickup truck so Joe can ride in the bed. Trust me, you don't want him in the passenger compartment.

:lol:....but keep in mind, he rarely repels newbies with less than a hundred robberies!

bajatrailrider - 10-20-2017 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  

:lol:....but keep in mind, he rarely repels newbies with less than a hundred robberies!
JAAAAAA a good one:)

rts551 - 10-20-2017 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Just to add to this story I just happened to talk to Erendira police chief. I asked him about the Gang that lives there. Stealing motos , breaking in homes. He showed me on his cel phone 4 pictures of the gang members. So I asked why is this a on going problem you know where they live. He had no answer.

Maybe he is protecting them.

bajatrailrider - 10-20-2017 at 07:45 PM

I think there is truth to that from what locals tell me.

ehall - 10-21-2017 at 05:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Maybe he is protecting them.

Maybe protecting himself and his family by leaving them alone. Might be some muy malo hombres.

[Edited on 10-22-2017 by ehall]

hombre66 - 10-22-2017 at 04:32 PM

Meanwhile, back at the beach.......
Theft issues anywhere north of El Rosario are a fact of life and always have been. My first issue with stuff of mine growing legs and walking away happened over 30 years ago at Punta San Jacinto/Quatro casas area. I left it out and I paid the price.
Troll or not, the poster reminds us of some of the constant facts of life camping without locked doors.