BajaNomad

specific building questions

volcano - 9-17-2017 at 11:06 AM

1)what is the best clear coat to seal concrete roof deck from leaking into room beneath it?

2)ideas on most secure but cost effective locks/security bars for securing hand fabricated metal garage door?...photos?

woody with a view - 9-17-2017 at 12:07 PM

Henry's Tropi-cool is a very good product but it's white.

AKgringo - 9-17-2017 at 12:57 PM

When you say roof 'deck', does that mean it needs to hold up to foot traffic and furniture?

ncampion - 9-17-2017 at 01:12 PM

This is about the best "high security" lock for a steel door.

http://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/M736XKAD

That being said, thieves will get into anything you put up. I had these on two outside storage rooms and they used a hand grinder to just cut the whole thing off the door and frame. The game is to make it as difficult as possible to discourage the less than professional thief.

Paco Facullo - 9-17-2017 at 03:31 PM

Yes, locks are to keep honest people honest.

Better to have a space in the garage with a "false" front to hide the most valuable stuff.

Alarms, lights and dogs help....

volcano - 9-17-2017 at 04:23 PM

roof deck having foot traffic and furniture

Sr.vienes - 9-17-2017 at 07:52 PM

A really good product if your concrete isn't poured yet is Xypex C1000. This is an admixture that will self heal cracks up to 1/16" even years after the concrete has set. We have used it in Baja and the states with good results, it is available from Hub and I think Whitecap.

gnukid - 9-17-2017 at 07:58 PM

Have the roof deck carefully chipped and prepped and then add a layer of cement with fiberglass additive and ensure the layer has proper level to allow water drainage, do a final decorative coat or finish with tile.

chumlee57 - 9-17-2017 at 08:45 PM

Great question, due to the fact that 90% of people that pay for a roof deck, roof finish, etc., have issues in Baja, especially at locations such as inside corners, areas that hold and drain water to other locations. #1 be smart and create the deck to have good drainage ( prior suggestion ) #2 design the deck to be counter flashed with sheet metal at the area where water can accumulate ( sorry if this is subjective, but heed my warning ie make sure it runs off the deck / flat area ) #3 dont screw around with this particular phase, pay to have it completed properly and #4 the most important - use a product call " West Coat " sold in San Diego and transport the product to your house, they have specific videos indicating exact installation instructions, even if you are not up to the task of doing the installation, show the video to the locals who will complete the installation. I have extreamly good fourtune with my contractor n Mexico when I have taken the time to do my research, and then take the time to either show a video or explain a step by step process. Granted I am in the construction industry and may have an advantage to describe specific tasks, but for what its worth, the problems in Mexico, borne of bad construction are no more simple of the fact that they are learning what gringos want and request. Kind of long and drawn out here, but, have patience and don't have the " need it done yesterday " mentallity, remember, your in Mexicoooo. By and large, most workers in Mex want and strive to do a good job, unless of coarse you make a bad desicion with who you hire, Bien suerte amigo

Bob and Susan - 9-18-2017 at 05:24 AM

gnukis and chumlee have good ideas

remember on a flat roof you need 1 inch for every 8 feet for drainage
1 inch every 4 feet is even better

never assume your builder will get this right
you NEED to check it before the pour

as for cement roofs...they ALL crack...
the earth moves and the building sways

there is ALWAYS maintenance

if you are not commited to a flat roof I would get a regular roof
mine are cement but are covered with 90 pound felt and Mexican tiles
they don't leak
the felt is the barrier...the tiles protect the felt

don't think you'll use that roof for a patio...that's a dream...you wont

in the summer its too hot
in the winter its windy
and you have to climb stairs to get there

its a dream to think you'll sit up there and have a drink...it wont happen...

build for the storms
hurricanes and thunder storms are not easy on the house
the sun is even worse

remember ALL cement cracks
don't ever assume a product topping will stop that because
it wont

vandenberg - 9-18-2017 at 07:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
gnukis and chumlee have good ideas

don't think you'll use that roof for a patio...that's a dream...you wont

in the summer its too hot
in the winter its windy
and you have to climb stairs to get there

its a dream to think you'll sit up there and have a drink...it wont happen...

build for the storms
hurricanes and thunder storms are not easy on the house
the sun is even worse

remember ALL cement cracks
don't ever assume a product topping will stop that because
it wont

Correct about it seldom getting used. I had ours covered with black tar, the kind used for under showers, and than had the whole area tiled. Did this 26 years ago and never had a problem.

PaulW - 9-18-2017 at 07:30 AM

1)The classical Mexican roof coating works fine and consists of
Tar coating covered by polyester fabric then coated with white roof elastomer. Best white coating is made by Henry and not available in CA, but can be purchased in AZ. It is very resistant to pealing due to small water puddles. Expect to re coat every 5+ years or so.
2) Good luck the Mexican bad guys know how to get inside any garage door. A metal roll-up door is probably the most secure. After that all kinds of DIY methods for any door would be acceptable since your method may be unfamiliar to the bad guys? A metal fabricated foldup would be unique and could be made pretty secure?
======== =====
Quote: Originally posted by volcano  
1)what is the best clear coat to seal concrete roof deck from leaking into room beneath it?

2)ideas on most secure but cost effective locks/security bars for securing hand fabricated metal garage door?...photos?

bowser - 9-18-2017 at 07:36 AM

One way to waterproof it is to put a roof over it. We had a second story concrete deck (but no room under it) for 10 years before Hurricane Odile. Hardly ever used it. Way too hot in the summer and not fun at all in the wind.

We lost that patio and 1/3 of our house to flash flooding from the Hurricane. We rebuilt, but this time the patio has low walls and a roof over it. The plan is to screen it in, but for 2 years now we have used it as is. It is perfect. It gives actual and psychological protection. Not much water makes it to the floor (wooden decking this time). We use it most every day. About 4 o'clock with a deck of cards and a cool drink.

Just a thought...

gnukid - 9-18-2017 at 10:20 AM

Here a photos of the completed roof deck. I agree that Baja is often too hot or too windy and cool, so a partial covering made of metal frame that is strong and secure makes it all come together.

IMG_1438.jpg - 208kB

BajaTed - 9-18-2017 at 10:46 AM

Fireplace chimneys on ocean front homes need to be designed properly.

I have seen houses filled with smoke by renters that try to use the fireplace during winter storms. :o

volcano - 9-26-2017 at 04:16 PM

not in agreement on roofdeck never getting used..right now I have a tiny 4' x 6' deck...am up there 3 to 4 times a day..sunrise, sunset, star gazing....I live for those. thanks for all the ideas

Henry's tropicool

volcano - 1-14-2018 at 08:47 AM

o.k. probably going to use this product on a roof deck that will be constructed soon. Having it sloped 2" per it's 10 ft as suggested, with drainage channels. Thanks to all of your advisements. Others actual experience with longevity of this product? Henry's tropicool, that is. Fir instance, suggest reapplying every how many years?
Best concrete caulk or glue to ship down with the load and keep on hand for roof cracks? Looked at others'torch down system and hated it, and can't afford tiling.

PaulW - 1-14-2018 at 09:14 AM

Polyester white coatings have a variable life. Mine gets redone every 5 years for the roof with less than proper slope The steeper slope roofs are good for much longer.
The thing to note is the poured concrete roofs will have areas with low spots. So the coating you choose must be able to deal with the puddles and not peal up when getting wet. The only Henry product that meets that situation is #587. The Henry web site gives all the specs for each product for you to review. #587 is not available in CA so I get mine in Yuma.
Concrete cracks are not an issue if a tar coating is used per Henry application instructions. Those details are also on the Henry web site.

woody with a view - 1-14-2018 at 10:17 AM

Tropi-cool says it guaranteed for 12 years and withstands ponding. not sure how it holds up to furniture tho. put it on heavy-two coats like directions say.

Cancamo - 1-14-2018 at 11:30 AM

Two or more coats of "empermeabilizante", sold in paint stores and some brands have they're own stores.
14 years, no leaks, (need to re-coat soon).

I walk on it, but not frequently.

Fernweh - 1-14-2018 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by volcano  
not in agreement on roofdeck never getting used..right now I have a tiny 4' x 6' deck...am up there 3 to 4 times a day..sunrise, sunset, star gazing....I live for those. thanks for all the ideas

Have most my flat roofs (1/4" slope per foot) finished with tile, love the view from there, and use it quiet often.
This part of the roof gets hot in the summer:

Then we move to the other side:

and it's getting real cosy at night:

Sometimes planing ahead works out nicely, the first floor rooms under the palapa are nice and cool in the summer, the other rooms not so......