BajaNomad

building construction

bajapedro - 9-18-2017 at 08:06 AM

Just returned from a trip to Ocean Iles SC, and noticed that all the construction was built upon large pier foundations right on top of the beach sand, so the floor level was about 8 feet off the ground.
Was wondering if anyone has seen or built in this manor in Baja?
I could see an advantage to this in terms of flooding. Suspect finding inexpensive timber in Baja would be a major factor, but still was intrigued with technique.

AKgringo - 9-18-2017 at 09:58 AM

Building above the highest water level that can be expected is good, but I would not want to build with piers on sandy terrain. Pilings down to a solid base would be far less likely to fail.

In Baja, there is not only storm surge to worry about, but there is the possibility of a seismic event as well. It probably wouldn't happen in the remaining life span of the average Nomad, but it could!

Sand near sea level will liquefy during a long tremor, so whatever foundation your casa is on must either float the load over a wide area, or be posted down to something solid.

Or you could roll the dice and be prepared to deal with the damage, or walk away from it! At 70 years old, I could probably accept the risk, but it is something to consider.

BajaTed - 9-18-2017 at 10:33 AM

Everybody that is living near coastal areas are building or rebuilding on piers. Why is another discussion.

Fat people HATE stairs.
Invest in motorized stairs before Buffet does, he was right on buying all the railroads before the U.S. oil boom.

bajapedro - 9-18-2017 at 11:38 AM

Thanx
That makes perfect sense.