BajaNomad

how early for reservations?

rancho guillermo - 9-18-2017 at 02:48 PM

Planning a trip the week between Christmas and New Years to Mulege area. Need to stay in Catavina the first night to break up the drive. How early is too early to make a reservation at the hotel in Catavina? Is it a busy time of year? How about reservations in Mulege? Thanks for any suggestions.

shari - 9-18-2017 at 03:38 PM

All hotels are very busy over the holidays so you should reserve well in advance in Catavina...Mulege has more options for hotels so not as important but to get the choice spots, reserve in advance.

rancho guillermo - 9-18-2017 at 04:07 PM

thank you Shari..I will start working on them now.

bajabuddha - 9-18-2017 at 04:37 PM

RG, just on general principles if you make them this early I'd confirm them again 3-4 weeks out from your trip, just to be sure they're still standing. Just sayin'.... never done it, but that's what I'd do. Happy holidays a tad early.

Bajaboy - 9-18-2017 at 07:28 PM

Reservations in Baja don't always mean much. Be prepared...just in case. I've rolled into a few hotels with reservations which were non existent. If you get into town before dark, you should be okay. It often seems it's first come, first served unless you've confirmed with a credit card.

Lee - 9-18-2017 at 08:39 PM

I make reservations in advance and confirm it a couple days out. Always for Baja Cactus or Jardines. Coco's in Loreto too. Don't see Catavina being booked but holidays are jammed. Make the Res. It's not too early.

mtgoat666 - 9-19-2017 at 06:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rancho guillermo  
Planning a trip the week between Christmas and New Years to Mulege area. Need to stay in Catavina the first night to break up the drive. How early is too early to make a reservation at the hotel in Catavina? Is it a busy time of year? How about reservations in Mulege? Thanks for any suggestions.

Winter is high season for Catavina. The tour groups (off-roaders, whale watchers), holidays, etc., often sell out the joint.
Never too early to reserve.
And never too early to arrive (late shows often find their res given away if don't call to say late arrival)

BajaMama - 9-19-2017 at 07:10 AM

Maybe stay in El Rosario instead?

rancho guillermo - 9-19-2017 at 07:52 AM

Thanks everyone....great advise...In Mulege looking to stay at Hacienda.
Will start making them now and follow up as we get closer.

David K - 9-19-2017 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Maybe stay in El Rosario instead?

El Rosario is 76 miles or 1.5 hours from CataviƱa, so it is a good option. On the other side, Bahia de los Angeles (100 miles/ 2 hrs. from CataviƱa) has many places but is 40 paved miles off Hwy. 1, but a worthy side trip that all Baja travelers should see.

SFandH - 9-19-2017 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Reservations in Baja don't always mean much. Be prepared...just in case. I've rolled into a few hotels with reservations which were non existent. If you get into town before dark, you should be okay. It often seems it's first come, first served unless you've confirmed with a credit card.

I agree with Bajaboy. I certainly wouldn't expect the room to be there if I arrived after sundown during the holidays. Plan to check in no later than 4 PM. At least that's what I would do.

Catavina is a great place to be at sunset with a couple of brewskis and at sunrise with a cup of coffee. Picturesque. El Rosario, meh.

[Edited on 9-19-2017 by SFandH]