BajaNomad

Border Wall Area Video

sancho - 9-21-2017 at 02:27 PM

Plucked off fb, excuse if posted before, may be of interest to some

http://www.azcentral.com/videos/news/politics/border-issues/...

StuckSucks - 9-21-2017 at 02:38 PM

VERY cool. Will watch on the big screen at home tonight. Also available on YouTube.

David K - 9-21-2017 at 03:13 PM

Nice video, interesting.
However, the comments about not seeing any illegal cross-border activity during the filming was a little odd.
I thought it was common knowledge that that activity is mostly in the dark and all the filming was during the daytime. That the "journalists" in the car just abandoned the filming project when they were told they could not trespass private land (near Otay?) and didn't go on to the ocean, to see the end, was odd, too?
Anyway, thanks for the link... it was fun to see how much of America is unprotected and open, and not just harsh terrain areas where a wall is not needed but the flatlands of Texas, along the river.

sancho - 9-21-2017 at 04:15 PM

Sure, it has a no wall lean to it, a bias. Difficult, if not impossible
to keep that out of it. Some of the terrain, miles of no border,
seeing it from the air is interesting. We will see if something
is ever built

motoged - 9-21-2017 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

..a little odd. ...
I thought it was common knowledge that that activity is mostly in the dark and all the filming was during the daytime. That the "journalists" in the car just abandoned the filming project when they were told they could not trespass private land (near Otay?) and didn't go on to the ocean, to see the end, was odd, too?
Anyway, thanks for the link... it was fun to see how much of America is unprotected and open, and not just harsh terrain areas where a wall is not needed but the flatlands of Texas, along the river.

David,
What is odd about those things?

The journalists (no need to put their profession in quotes....unless you discredit their profession,which is what it seems you are doing....odd as you consider yourself a "writer" and "published author" :?: ) turned back as they were told to leave "private property" (who owned that property:?:?).

"America is unprotected and open"......uh, ya.....ever looked at the coastline? Wanna put a wall around that, too?

Sounds like you are a wall guy.....you think it's a good investment for your country?

David K - 9-21-2017 at 05:01 PM

We already have a "wall" and it is a fence actually here in California for much of the border.

They were two girls making a movie, what was their journalism credentials? Why didn't they drive to Imperial Beach and include the Tijuana Estuary we locally know as the cesspool.

I am critical that they just quit when they couldn't drive that dirt road anymore... the border still went for miles west of where they were.

I am a published author, many times... What does that have to do with anything?

Our coastline is pretty well populated so it would be hard to sneak in to invade us that way. Thanks to the wall we already have, it forces many invaders to go to Arizona instead of California. An invader is someone who comes in uninvited and without permission. Do you lock your home or your car or is it okay for anyone to use what is yours, without your permission? I know you have some feelings about this.

I am for national sovereignty and the rule of law, but I wouldn't dream of telling Canada or Mexico how to protect its border. Do you fault Mexico for having a border wall with Guatemala?

SFandH - 9-21-2017 at 05:26 PM

I am a published author, many times...

An invader is someone who comes in uninvited and without permission.

You would think an author published many times would know the word "invade" connotes the use of violence to conquer, subjugate, seize.

Hardly applicable to the tiny percentage of people in the US (less than 2%) who crossed the border illegally.

[Edited on 9-22-2017 by SFandH]

sancho - 9-21-2017 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Hardly applicable to the tiny percentage of people in the US (less than 2%) who crossed the border illegally.

It is perplexing to me, that a FEW frequent visitors to Mex
lack empathy for Mexican Nationals who come north. I've
come in contact with a small number of Gringos who hold an attitude that
Mexicans should be fortunate to have them visit. I doubt
they have any meaningful interaction with Baja residents.
Every person deserves respect and be treated as an equal.
I would like to see a personality test given to ferret out these
at the border going south

freediverbrian - 9-21-2017 at 08:26 PM

California is sueing the federal government over building the wall when California already has a wall????

mtgoat666 - 9-21-2017 at 09:20 PM

I am a published author, many times...

An invader is someone who comes in uninvited and without permission.

You would think an author published many times would know the word "invade" connotes the use of violence to conquer, subjugate, seize.

A$$hats!

bajadogs - 9-21-2017 at 10:39 PM

Do you fault Mexico for having a border wall with Guatemala?

David, there is no wall between Mexico and Guatemala. I ask you again, where the heck do you get your information? Wherever it is, you are being lied to and you are perpetuating the same lies. Please stop. Please. :(

chippy - 9-22-2017 at 04:38 AM

Do you fault Mexico for having a border wall with Guatemala? [/rquote]

:rolleyes: klueless in kalifornia.:lol:

[Edited on 9-22-2017 by chippy]

measomsan - 9-22-2017 at 05:34 AM

So let the name calling begin. It is sad when someone disagrees then falls back on simple name calling. Having owned two houses on the East Cape for just under ten years kinda makes me part of the discussion.
The opening of the video told you where it was headed. Living in Texas with family in LE I see what has been coming north. Not the Best and Brightest for sure. The Mexicans I know in Mx do not want to come here. They want to raise their families in Mx. And my take. We need boarders, we need laws, and those two need to be enforced.
So if ya want to get to the name calling I'm ready. Hey just for fun let me drop a BLM and Hands up don't shoot. That should get this party started :cool:

mtgoat666 - 9-22-2017 at 06:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by measomsan  
We need boarders,

Why? Are you running a hotel or boarding house? :?:

David K - 9-22-2017 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

Do you fault Mexico for having a border wall with Guatemala?

David, there is no wall between Mexico and Guatemala. I ask you again, where the heck do you get your information? Wherever it is, you are being lied to and you are perpetuating the same lies. Please stop. Please. :(

IT'S OLD NEWS, why haven't you heard this? I even quoted CNN for you, lol!:

In 2010: https://www.infowars.com/mexico-builds-wall-on-guatemala-bor...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2010: Mexico Building Fence… on Its Southern Border
Published September 23, 2010

Reporting from Guatemala City, Danilo Valladares of the Inter-Press Service (IPS) notes that there will be one more barrier for Guatemalan immigrants in their trek to the United States. In addition to dodging dangerous drug traffickers and immigration officials, the latest obstacle is emerging: a wall between Guatemala and Mexico.

According to the head of customs for Mexico’s tax administration, Raul Diaz, the Mexican border state of Chiapas is constructing a wall along the country’s southern border with Guatemala, along the river Suchiate which divides the countries. Diaz says the purpose of the wall is to prevent the passage of contraband, but admits, “It could also prevent the free passage of illegal immigrants.”

According to Mexico’s National Commission on Human Rights (CNDH), 500,000 people from Central America cross into Mexico illegally every year — the vast majority of them attempting to reach the United States. In addition, smugglers reportedly use the Suchiate River to move goods across the international border without paying duty taxes.

Just as Mexican authorities have opposed more strict border enforcement and the construction of a border fence along the U.S. border with their country, Mexico is now receiving a great deal of criticism from Guatemalan officials.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2011: “CNN is reporting that 142 illegal immigrants crossing the border from Guatemala into Mexico were arrested and are now being held in jail. Under the Mexican Constitution and statutes, intentionally crossing into Mexico without proper documentation is a felony subjecting the violator to immediate imprisonment. In addition, imprisonment follows even in circumstances where the illegal immigrant has paid a bribe which is often “required” to cross the border…”

“Just last month, 513 people were apprehended in two trailers in Chiapas, bordering Guatemala. They represented a cargo worth at least $3.5 million. Another trailer filled with 219 people was discovered in January.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2010: Wed, OCT 6th 2010 @ 1:50 pm EDT
Mexico, which often criticizes the American government for putting up barriers which restrict the flow of illegal immigrants across the U.S. - Mexico border is building a fence of its own along its southern border with Guatemala.

SFandH - 9-22-2017 at 07:39 AM

Not that it makes any difference to the issue at hand, but there is no wall along Mexico's southern border. Just fences in populated areas.

"there is no wall along the Mexico-Guatemala border"
http://www.snopes.com/mexico-guatemala-border/

"There is no continuous wall on the border"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala%E2%80%93Mexico_borde...

"No, it is an internet hoax."
https://www.quora.com/Does-Mexico-have-a-wall-on-its-souther...

motoged - 9-22-2017 at 10:32 AM

Who thinks the wall concept Trumpers support is affordable/good use of tax dollars considering the FACTS of proposed costs?

Of course managing legal and illegal entries into any country on Earth is a crucial issue....being sensible/practical/effective about how to manage the demands is the challenge.

AKgringo - 9-22-2017 at 11:01 AM

I retired from the construction industry, and I have personally been on projects where a sub contractor would show up with a large crew that except for the foreman, spoke little or no English. On one job, the entire drywall crew decided to go take a break somewhere off site when a municipal building inspector showed up to approve the service hook up!

I am in Anchorage, I don't think a wall would make a damn bit of difference! The workers will go where they can network with other migrants, legal, or otherwise.

I am not anti immigrant, but an open border policy would be harmful to the US standard of living. I agree with Ged, that borders should be managed, but you cannot manage illegal entries if cheaters are rewarded.

Lee - 9-22-2017 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by measomsan  

The opening of the video told you where it was headed. Living in Texas with family in LE I see what has been coming north. Not the Best and Brightest for sure.

Wow same old shlt Prez Rump spews about the immigrants. They're rapists too, right?

Your politics suck. DK's too. Let's talk about fish tacos.

political forum?

akshadow - 9-22-2017 at 12:29 PM

had to check to see what forum I was reading.

SFandH - 9-22-2017 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Who thinks the wall concept Trumpers support is affordable/good use of tax dollars considering the FACTS of proposed costs?

A distinct minority of Americans:

"Americans continue to oppose (62%) than favor (35%) building a wall along the entire U.S. border with Mexico."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/24/most-america...

Interesting data. The polling further characterizes opinion holders by age, race, political party affiliation, and education.

motoged - 9-22-2017 at 02:49 PM

Thanks for answering the question. Those who complain about gov't spending and support the wall are walking contradictions....or something like that...

There have to be better mechanisms than concrete....but Trump doesn't seem capable of conceptual reasoning....and is a concrete thinker....so that follows.... :rolleyes:

Gary....rewarding offenders is not a good idea, but a moratorium for some seems sensible.....remember when draft dodgers were offered such an opportunity....some good folks returned to the USA under that compassionate ruling....

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

A distinct minority of Americans:

"Americans continue to oppose (62%) than favor (35%) building a wall along the entire U.S. border with Mexico."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/24/most-america...

measomsan - 9-22-2017 at 03:17 PM

As a former Marine Lee one would think you would respect the office? Hmm you might be a POG , but will never know for sure. So i listen to your choice for eight years, never really liked anything he did, but I lived with it. So before this gets any more fun I will say have a great day.

motoged - 9-22-2017 at 03:59 PM

Are marines expected to respect a position regardless of the qualities of the person who holds it?

Blind obedience or thoughtful evaluation with a pinch of critical thinking?

chippy - 9-22-2017 at 04:04 PM

As a grunt you forfeit all gray matter.

bajabuddha - 9-22-2017 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
As a grunt you forfeit all gray matter.

Careful how you use the term 'Grunt'. I was one, but Army Airborne Infantry. We were taught our 'rules of engagement', i.e. the President is our CIC and we are at his disposal, but also taught how and when to refuse a direct order if we felt it was an affront to Military Justice rules. The Marine Corps, not so much. I applaud Lee in standing up to such an embarrassment. Show me something worth respecting, and I will. Show me someone worth following and I will. I haven't felt this 'Anti' since Tricky Richard, who almost cost me my life... and tRump, well..... sign up your kids and grandkids for the next major fiasco. And yes, Nixon WAS in on the ground floor for my experience when he was a VP that got us into that mess. The next (soonest and WORST) one will be short coming. Don't like my attitude? Well, do something about it. ENLIST YOUR FAMILY; good for jobs eh? Tired of winning yet?

mtgoat666 - 9-22-2017 at 04:54 PM

Speaking of grunts, this week Ken Burn's Vietnam has been playing on PBS. It should be required watching for all teenagers tempted to sign up as pawns and canon fodder for usa military and egotistical politicians.

basautter - 9-22-2017 at 07:06 PM

The Wall at the Empire Dunes is ugly...Tear down the Wall!

chumlee57 - 9-22-2017 at 07:30 PM

WoW, You guys need a life, that was embarasin, as Joe Pesci would say

bajabuddha - 9-22-2017 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Speaking of grunts, this week Ken Burn's Vietnam has been playing on PBS. It should be required watching for all teenagers tempted to sign up as pawns and canon fodder for usa military and egotistical politicians.

So should "Tail Gunner Joe" starring Peter Boyle. Funny, I can't find a single source to buy this movie on ANY format. Go figger. Should be required high school and collegiate level of any curriculum.

motoged - 9-23-2017 at 09:24 AM

Watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYm02O-Ycs

Download it with Clipgrab and store file....

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by motoged]

Mexitron - 9-23-2017 at 11:02 AM

1. Net immigration has been falling anyway--the last recession put a damper on it too.
2. Simply enforcing existing labor laws would have a further deterrent. For example, in Palacios, TX, a shrimping industry town, has been hit hard by labor shortages since Trump enforced immigration visa laws in that town. BTW, hardly any American citizens are showing up to replace the workers on the shrimp boats, even as wages have been raised higher to attract people.
3. It costs at least $7,500 to get a coyote to run you from TJ to past the San Clemente checkpoint--that is a huge deterrent to keeping people from returning back to Mexico, in that regard better borders make folks want to stay up here a lot longer.
4. A majority of Texas landowners, mainly ranchers and ag, and likely conservative, are against the border wall there. They've had a mutually beneficial and friendly relationship with their southern neighbors and feel its a slap in the face to them to put up a wall.
5. It will likely double in price when done--isn't that money better spent fixing infrastrucure that we all use and makes for a more efficient economy?

elgatoloco - 9-23-2017 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
1. Net immigration has been falling anyway--the last recession put a damper on it too.
2. Simply enforcing existing labor laws would have a further deterrent. For example, in Palacios, TX, a shrimping industry town, has been hit hard by labor shortages since Trump enforced immigration visa laws in that town. BTW, hardly any American citizens are showing up to replace the workers on the shrimp boats, even as wages have been raised higher to attract people.
3. It costs at least $7,500 to get a coyote to run you from TJ to past the San Clemente checkpoint--that is a huge deterrent to keeping people from returning back to Mexico, in that regard better borders make folks want to stay up here a lot longer.
4. A majority of Texas landowners, mainly ranchers and ag, and likely conservative, are against the border wall there. They've had a mutually beneficial and friendly relationship with their southern neighbors and feel its a slap in the face to them to put up a wall.
5. It will likely double in price when done--isn't that money better spent fixing infrastrucure that we all use and makes for a more efficient economy?

Dude! There you go again be all sensible and what not. :D
The wall is a waste of money. IMEO. :smug:

Cliffy - 9-23-2017 at 03:50 PM

Would someone kindly define what attributes constitute a sovereign nation ?

SFandH - 9-23-2017 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

It's a nation ruled by a monarch or some kind of supreme ruler. Sovereignty doesn't apply to the United States.

I love these new browsers where all you have to do is double click the word and the definition pops up. :D

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by SFandH]

DENNIS - 9-23-2017 at 04:18 PM

sov·er·eign·ty

/ˈsäv(ə)rən(t)ē/

noun

noun: sovereignty

supreme power or authority.

synonyms: jurisdiction, rule, supremacy, dominion, power, ascendancy, suzerainty, hegemony, domination, authority, control, influence
"their sovereignty over the islands"

•the authority of a state to govern itself or another state.
"national sovereignty"

synonyms: autonomy, independence, self-government, self-rule, home rule, self-determination, freedom
"the colony demanded full sovereignty"

•a self-governing state.
plural noun: sovereignties

DENNIS - 9-23-2017 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

It's a nation ruled by a monarch or some kind of supreme ruler. Sovereignty doesn't apply to the United States.

Really? Doesn't apply to the US? "I'm embarrassed for you that you made that comment.

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by DENNIS]

SFandH - 9-23-2017 at 04:33 PM

Not really, a sovereign is a monarch or supreme leader. The United States is not ruled by a sovereign.

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by SFandH]

TMW - 9-24-2017 at 10:19 AM

One thing for sure he knows how to shake things us and stir the pot.

We live in exciting times, rioting in the streets, nuclear war maybe, NFL players on the POTUS firing list, will we build or not build the wall. One wonders what will be next.

gsbotanico - 9-24-2017 at 02:45 PM

I've been to Guatemalan border with Mexico several times. It's either very mountainous terrain like in the Chiapas highlands where I just ambled across the border in the Lagunas de Monte Bello national park or lowland jungle along the Río Usumacinta or Río Suchiate. It's only where the Pan-American Highway crosses the border at Tapachula that provides any kind of less than very difficult crossing There's a bridge at Tapachula, but illegals cross the river in boats.

Building a wall is totally out of the question because of dense jungle and lack of roads. Problems are increasing in the Tapachula area, and Mexico is trying to restrict the flow of illegal immigrants, not just from Guatemala, but also from Central and South American, Cuba, Haiti, and even Africa and the Middle East. Most of it is headed toward the US. With the US border more difficult to cross the illegal population becomes Mexico's problem. Cubans and Haitian no longer get automatic entry into the US.