BajaNomad

DENNIS

Udo - 9-30-2017 at 07:32 PM

Early this morning, at 7:30, my good friend (and neighbor) DENNIS was taken by air evacuation ambulance from his home, unconscious.

We all pray that he is OK.

12 hours later I have yet to hear from anyone regarding his condition.

Seems to be going around...I took my sister to Sharp emergency last week, and 19 hours later she was deceased of a brain tumor. Now my life has been turned upside down because I thought she would outlive me by 50 years (taking into consideration how well she took care of herself by eating the right foods, juicing, exercising, taking a whole slew of vitamins, not smoking, and not drinking).

BajaBlanca - 9-30-2017 at 08:01 PM

So sorry to hear about your sister and about Dennis.

Get back soon Dennis - we need you here on nomads!

You will be in my prayers.

mtgoat666 - 9-30-2017 at 08:24 PM

get well soon, dennis!

Udo, Please Accept My Regrets

GypsyJan - 9-30-2017 at 08:35 PM

For the loss of your sister.

You are doing such great things, coping with your family and taking the time to let us know about Dennis.

I hope that he gets better soon.

DanO - 9-30-2017 at 09:17 PM

Udo, my condolences about your sister. Please post updates about Dennis if you can. This getting old sh*t sucks. We need all of our voices on this board and Dennis has long been one of them.

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by DanO]

BajaNomad - 9-30-2017 at 09:56 PM

If someone knows which facility Dennis is at, will you contact me privately please.

Any updates are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

David K - 9-30-2017 at 10:49 PM

My prayers for Dennis and condolences to Udo.

TMW - 9-30-2017 at 11:19 PM

One just never knows when. My condolences to Udo and I hope Dennis is back among us soon.

woody with a view - 10-1-2017 at 06:28 AM

Damn.......

rts551 - 10-1-2017 at 07:14 AM

oh no.

tiotomasbcs - 10-1-2017 at 07:23 AM

Hang tough Dennis. Hoping you get thru this and back upright. Good to have friends close by, Udo. Thanks. Tomas

BornFisher - 10-1-2017 at 07:47 AM

Udo--So sorry
Dennis--give em hell! Here`s to a quick recovery!

Barry A. - 10-1-2017 at 08:18 AM

Damn---------our thoughts and prayers are with you, Dennis.

-----and Udo, so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.

DawnPatrol - 10-1-2017 at 09:03 AM

Is this the Dennis of "The Aluminator"?
Alan from SD

chippy - 10-1-2017 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
Is this the Dennis of "The Aluminator"?
Alan from SD

No not the same person.

Udo - 10-1-2017 at 11:09 AM

I just spoke with his girlfriend who is now back at home here in Ensenada:

DENNIS had another stroke, and this time it was on his opposite side. He will now be traumatized on the right side as well. Fortunate for DENNIS that his stroke happened during his sleep and therefore minimized damage.

He is being kept sedated as of 10 October, 2017, at 10:00 a.m.

BajaNomad - 10-1-2017 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

DENNIS had another stroke, and this time it was on his opposite side. He will now be traumatized on the right side as well. Fortunate for DENNIS that his stroke happened during his sleep and therefore minimized damage.

Thank you Udo.

Any further updates - as available - will be greatly appreciated.

This strange, virtual community!

AKgringo - 10-1-2017 at 01:51 PM

I have never met Dennis or Udo and his sister, but even as a fairly new addition to the Nomad community, I find myself saddened by their recent tragic events.

My thoughts and hopes are for a better tomorrow for both of you!

sancho - 10-1-2017 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I find myself saddened by their recent tragic events.
My thoughts and hopes are for a better tomorrow for both of you!

Same here, after yrs. of familiar name posts, one does
develop some kind acquaintanceship, without meeting
the face behind the name, but one feels like you know
them. D has been here
forever, wish him success with recovery. Udo, I'm sorry for
the loss of your sister

Kgryfon - 10-1-2017 at 04:22 PM

I hope Dennis has a quick recovery, and I'm sorry about your sister.

Udo - 10-1-2017 at 04:43 PM

DENNIS may not recover too well from his second stroke. I'll let you know.

As far as myself and my wife Jana are concerned, we thank you for your condolences. We have been through a lot since my sister moved here near me (actually in a house between DENNIS and us). Many trips to Los Angeles to get things settled and tomorrow we have an appointment to go through her safety deposit box.

I have not seen this kind of stress since I quit working 5 years ago!

thebajarunner - 10-1-2017 at 05:53 PM

Total bum news, all around
I have been off the site for awhile
This morning I looked in the mirror and said, "Wonder how my friend Dennis is doing?"
Sorry I asked
Dennis, when you read this your old pal Dick is pulling for you!!
Hang in there my man....

Cliffy - 10-1-2017 at 06:18 PM

After reading and posting for some time but never meeting the names contained herein, one still develops a kinship of sorts, to those of us here "as ships passing in the night".
Saddened to hear of the loss and troubles of those who have contributed so much to this board.
Prayers.

Udo - 10-1-2017 at 06:50 PM

I don't think I could have said this any better.:tumble::O:tumble::O

DENNIS was my sister's first friend here in Baja, a few years ago when she was still dreaming of moving here.
Another person on her goal of meeting Nomads was Shari.

Sadly, I do not recall her NOMAD handle.

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
After reading and posting for some time but never meeting the names contained herein, one still develops a kinship of sorts, to those of us here "as ships passing in the night".
Saddened to hear of the loss and troubles of those who have contributed so much to this board.
Prayers.

Udo - 10-1-2017 at 06:52 PM

I'll try for daily updates as I can. However, tomorrow I have an emergency meeting with people from my sister's estate. Leave Ensenada really early to be in Los Angeles by 11:00 a.m.
(I'm glad I have a great pair of compression socks!)

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

Thank you Udo.

Any further updates - as available - will be greatly appreciated.

Skipjack Joe - 10-1-2017 at 08:40 PM

I hope Dennis pulls through. He is such a big part of Nomads.

BajaBlanca - 10-2-2017 at 09:12 AM

Praying for you Dennis!

shari - 10-2-2017 at 09:57 AM

Oh big D...I am pulling for you buddy...hang in there...I love you man.
Thank you Udo. ..hang in there too. The world is a cloudy place today

Natalie Ann - 10-2-2017 at 12:24 PM

I hold you in my prayers, DENNIS.
Lotsa prayers, hopeful prayers, ginormous prayers.
May you recover to the greatest extent possible.

Nena

Mexitron - 10-3-2017 at 04:28 AM

Hope Dennis gets better and soon.

Paco Facullo - 10-3-2017 at 09:56 AM

Udo,
My deepest condolences to you for your sister.

One never knows what the future holds.
So enjoy what you have today.

My thoughts and prayers are with Dennis......

Udo - 10-3-2017 at 07:52 PM

I really appreciate everyone's sentiments...be it for me, my sister Rhea (whose Nomad name was Rhea), or for DENNIS!

I got the wise words about 45 minutes ago...

DENNIS is holding his own.

He is sort of paralyzed on his right side from his latest stroke, but he is moving his left arm.
He still can not open his eyes and most of the time he is heavily sedated. Although he is on ventilators, he is not on life support I.E. he is breathing on his own.

We are not sure when or if he is coming out of ICU.

He is not non-responsive when asked questions, so he sort of understands what is going on around him...just as it was with my sister.

I'll let you know the latest news as I get them.

Udo - 10-3-2017 at 07:54 PM

Shari...I know you have a great insight. You know what I am going through right now.
This is the kind of life I left back in the US 5 years ago!

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Hoping for Big D's Recovery

GypsyJan - 10-3-2017 at 08:14 PM

Thank you Udo. for your care. concern and updates.

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by GypsyJan]

fishbuck - 10-4-2017 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kgryfon  
I hope Dennis has a quick recovery, and I'm sorry about your sister.

rts551 - 10-4-2017 at 03:46 PM

Shari...I know you have a great insight. You know what I am going through right now.

I understand that life support was pulled this morning... Is that true UDO?

woody with a view - 10-4-2017 at 03:55 PM

Damn....:saint:

Udo - 10-4-2017 at 08:58 PM

Yes, it is true.

DENNIS was more at peace without the respirators. (just as it was with my sister).
Unless you have been involved with either using one (as I did a couple of years ago), or are the person staying with the ill individual, there is a huge difference in the demeanor of the ill person because the doctors have to keep them on morphine or something else to calm them down from having all the tubes inserted in them. The tubes are a huge invasiveness on one's body.

Once the tubes are taken out, there is this huge peace that overcomes the ill person.

DENNIS is currently almost totally immobile. The only part of his body that is still moving some is his left arm. And when he was totally lucid before his last stroke, that was a part of the body that moved very little from his previous stroke.

According to the doctors, this last stroke affected the brain stem just above the spine. I don't remember the medical term.

But if he lives past the next 2 days, he will be a vegetable and will need 100% hospice care.

All we can do is to pray for DENNIS' peace. (I know what the other side looks like because I died twice from my illness, and, obviously, the doctors brought me back). It is highly emotional for me to talk about that part. Therefore I know where DENNIS is going, and he will be at peace, just as my sister is also.

I'll keep you updated.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

I understand that life support was pulled this morning... Is that true UDO?

BajaBlanca - 10-4-2017 at 09:16 PM

Thanks for all you have done, Udo. How precious are our moments in this Life. May God always keep you in his care, Dennis.

MMc - 10-4-2017 at 09:17 PM

Damn, My heart goes to Dennis and his family. I will miss his posting and take on the world.
Udo, thank you for keeping us informed during your time of loss also.

[Edited on 10-5-2017 by MMc]

David K - 10-5-2017 at 01:22 AM

Wishing Dennis peace on his trip to that place we are all going to sooner or later.

I may not have been able to meet you on this side, amigo... So, I will wait and meet you on the other side! It was a fun ride on this side, thanks to Baja Nomad for bringing us under this one roof, for a time.

wilderone - 10-5-2017 at 07:52 AM

Dearest Dennis - Mega-Prayers for you, and angels sent your way. Peace, Love
Udo - so sorry for the loss of your sister. Hugs to you.

shari - 10-5-2017 at 08:38 AM

Hey Big D....love you man wherever you are.

tiotomasbcs - 10-5-2017 at 08:43 AM

It was a pleasure to share some space with you, Amigo. Vaya con Dios. Many will miss you! Tomas

Dennis

desertcpl - 10-5-2017 at 09:34 AM

RIP, well miss him

Sweetwater - 10-5-2017 at 09:51 AM

RIP Dennis
Knowing when to let go and letting go of life is the biggest challenge any of us will have.

Udo - 10-5-2017 at 10:01 AM

As of 10:a.m. on Thursday morning, I have not heard from his girlfriend via text yet.

I.E. I don't know his condition yet. The doctors were only giving him 2-3 days at most since yesterday afternoon.

BajaTed - 10-5-2017 at 10:02 AM

My parents ashes were immersed in the ocean by our home in Baja, early in the morning when you can see the thermocline variations on the sea surface and the sparkling water, I wonder....

RIP DENNIS

SFandH - 10-5-2017 at 10:03 AM

Nobody has said he has died.

Natalie Ann - 10-5-2017 at 12:23 PM

When at night I go to sleep
Fourteen angels watch do keep.
Two my head are guarding;
Two my feet are guiding;
Two are on my right hand;
Two are on my left hand;
Two who warmly cover;
Two who o'er me hover;
Two to whom is given
To guide my steps to heaven.

Peaceful dreams, amigo.

Nena

Skipjack Joe - 10-5-2017 at 01:50 PM

Dennis is a fighter. If anyone can pull through it's him.

woody with a view - 10-5-2017 at 05:42 PM

Dennis the bongo player! We were lucky to run into him (and Bob Durrell?) once at Vonny’s after a day of fishing. He gave me a propane smoker kit to use on the “cat food” as he called Yellowtail that we caught that day. It was brand new! Such a good human who knew how to live! Rest well, Amigo. You’ve earned it!

277CBFBA-70EB-480E-B800-9EBF24C44672.jpeg - 26kB

Dennis

bajajudy - 10-6-2017 at 05:13 PM

So sorry to hear this!

bajaguy - 10-6-2017 at 06:22 PM

Baja Nomads lost a good friend today.......Received this information earlier today:

DENNIS passed away at 11:30 this morning. There will not be a memorial service for him in Mexico.

baja Guy, So Sorry to Hear This Sad News

GypsyJan - 10-6-2017 at 06:35 PM

I will miss his voice and perspective on all the issues he was passionate about and commented on Baja Nomad.

Godspeed and may God Bless his journey.

[Edited on 10-7-2017 by GypsyJan]

David K - 10-6-2017 at 06:55 PM

Adios Dennis, vaya con Dios!

DianaT - 10-6-2017 at 07:12 PM

Dennis, you will be missed by many. I know I will mostly miss our private banter --- when we agreed and when we didn't. You were a good man and I hope you are finding the peace you deserve.

And I hope they don't have yellowtail were you are --- on that we agreed,=== cat food.

DEP :(

Paco Facullo - 10-6-2017 at 07:24 PM

Dennis, you will never be forgotten.....

Done with life's pain

resting at last..............................................................

mjs - 10-6-2017 at 07:36 PM

So sorry to hear this. RIP Dennis

TMW - 10-6-2017 at 07:58 PM

Dennis was an interesting man that I respected. We never met but his comments on Nomad showed a wisdom that I appreciated.

I think the following from an unknown author says it best.

"I expect to pass thru this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature , let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

GOD speed Dennis.

BajaBlanca - 10-6-2017 at 09:01 PM

RIP

You were one of the people I so wanted to meet in person, now it will have to wait til we meet in the hereafter.

Wishing you peace.

BornFisher - 10-6-2017 at 09:11 PM

Condolences to Dennis`s family.
RIP Dennis, you will be always remembered here on Nomads.

BajaNomad - 10-6-2017 at 09:27 PM

:no:

Cliffy - 10-6-2017 at 09:35 PM

As we here are all ships passing in the night, it seems one of the ships has gone over the horizon and its lights lost, never to be seen again.
RIP

EnsenadaDr - 10-6-2017 at 10:32 PM

DENNIS was a good man. I knew him personally. I felt very bad about his last days and passing as I found out about it only from Nomads a few days ago. More importantly it's how we live that matters and not how we die. He lived his life exactly how he wanted to and that is the best thing any of us can do. He was intelligent and controversial at times which is what I liked about him most. It's those people that make you think and challenge you that make a difference. Enjoy your journey to the other side, DENNIS.

Barry A. - 10-7-2017 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
DENNIS was a good man. I knew him personally. I felt very bad about his last days and passing as I found out about it only from Nomads a few days ago. More importantly it's how we live that matters and not how we die. He lived his life exactly how he wanted to and that is the best thing any of us can do. He was intelligent and controversial at times which is what I liked about him most. It's those people that make you think and challenge you that make a difference. Enjoy your journey to the other side, DENNIS.

Very well said, Doctor. Vaya con Dios, Dennis.

[Edited on 10-7-2017 by Barry A.]

One for the road!

woody with a view - 10-7-2017 at 08:46 AM

DENNIS always love this foto. Fare thee well, Amigo!

rsz_1rsz_100_1822.jpg - 243kB

DanO - 10-7-2017 at 08:48 AM

DEP, amigo. You will be missed.

BajaRob - 10-7-2017 at 09:32 AM

Fly with the angels amigo

Skipjack Joe - 10-7-2017 at 10:45 AM

Vaya con Dios, Dennis. This place will never be the same without you.

fishbuck - 10-7-2017 at 04:37 PM

I'm crushed.
Dennis and I were bros for sure. Wished I could have spent more time hanging with him.
We were kindred souls to be sure.

Regards to Udo. Very sorry for the loss of your sister. I have a sister too and it will be a difficult day for me if she passes before I.

Ken Cooke - 10-8-2017 at 09:56 AM

Descanse en paz DENNIS. Lo siento mucho por su hermana UDO.

wessongroup - 10-8-2017 at 01:49 PM

Good guy ... will remember him for his thoughts

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Sooo..after all that, what we have established is that breast feeding in public is accepted....as long as the players are out of sight.
What a totally marooonic conclusion.

Perhaps our next challenge should be to establish at what age one becomes too old to breast feed.

Paco Facullo - 10-8-2017 at 01:52 PM

" Perhaps our next challenge should be to establish at what age one becomes too old to breast feed."?

Hey, I'm 65 and breast feed every chance I get...............

Loretana - 10-8-2017 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  

Thank you, Janene. So well said. I will miss his rapier wit, his point of view and his knowledge and understanding of Baja and all that living in Mexico entails. Andele pues, Dennis!

gnukid - 10-8-2017 at 11:33 PM

Dennis is a big influence to me to do what you want and say what you feel and don't back down to threats no matter what. Wherever I am in Baja when things got weird I think what would Dennis do, he wouldn't be scared and he wouldn't back down. And with that attitude there is only one ting to do and that is be yourself!

Lee - 10-9-2017 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Dennis is a big influence to me to do what you want and say what you feel and don't back down to threats no matter what.

This looks like the description of an Ugly American in Baja.

You're opening a can of worms here, Paul. Best let sleeping dogs alone.

shari - 10-9-2017 at 08:42 AM

the most important lesson Big D taught me was that you certainly cannot judge a book by reading it here on Nomads!
...things are not always as they seem

drive your amigos crazy up there mon D with your bongo playing!

NEVER BACK DOWN ?

MrBillM - 10-9-2017 at 09:51 AM

My last Ex-Wife was like that.

Believing in NEVER losing an argument even when she knew that she was wrong.

Her final conflict was with a windshield, though.

She lost that one.

pauldavidmena - 10-9-2017 at 07:03 PM

Like many on this forum, I never met Dennis in person. And like many other Nomad Wannabees, I posted my questions on this forum hoping for informative answers, receiving a combination of helpful tips, overt hostility and conspicuous indifference. Dennis, while never effusive with words, was never dismissive in his attitude toward newbies, and for that I am extremely grateful. Descansa en paz...

DENNIS

bajajohn - 10-9-2017 at 07:15 PM

bajajohn - 10-9-2017 at 07:18 PM

Unfortunately 2 days ago our friend and neighbor Dennis Card## di pass away from a massive stroke . He has been an icon of the Punta Banda Community for many years and his wit in his postings and just as our friend and neighbor will greatly be missed.
Bajajohn

Mexitron - 10-10-2017 at 10:09 AM

So sorry to hear of Dennis' passing, he seemed like a cool guy, RIP.

UnoMas - 10-12-2017 at 07:43 PM

So sad to hear that Dennis passed. Will miss his input here on BN.
Condolences to family and friends.
RIP Dennis.

ehall - 10-13-2017 at 06:45 AM

Sad news. RIP

bent-rim - 11-2-2017 at 09:08 AM

Just saw this. Bummer.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"