BajaNomad

Safety question CIELITO LINDO & PLAYA SANTA MARIA near rancho Los Pinos ?

Isignay - 10-2-2017 at 08:14 AM

Is it safe to camp on this stretch of beach?

TMW - 10-2-2017 at 08:20 AM

There have been no reports of any problems that I know of. Cielito Lindo has great margaritas and a pretty good Veracruz style fish dinner.

SFandH - 10-2-2017 at 08:45 AM

I have occasionally spent the night in my camper at Cielito Lindo near the road that goes out to the beach over the years (decades). Now, this is just my opinion, others may disagree, but I wouldn't camp on the beach in that area.

The beach seems to be popular at night with young local guys that are, well, having a good time. I see them drive out and back at night using the entrance road to Cielito Lindo. Plus, when I walk to the beach in the morning, I seldom see people camping, so safety in numbers probably isn't there.

Stay within the confines of Cielito Lindo in either your RV or in one of their rooms. It's an interesting area and the restaurant/bar can be fun.

[Edited on 10-2-2017 by SFandH]

tiotomasbcs - 10-2-2017 at 08:46 AM

Camping in the whole area is dangerous in my opinion. Ask this question on fb Talk Baja...lots of Gringos living in this area for local opinions. Pabellon and Cielito have areas to camp near the beach w/facilities but not expensive.

del mar - 10-2-2017 at 08:59 AM

im gonna cop out and say "maybe".....bigger group the better and lock up all your stuff ;)

wilderone - 10-2-2017 at 09:23 AM

Years ago, it was not considered safe. I wouldn't risk it these days. Cielito Lindo has a small tent campground adjacent to the grounds close to the restaurant, and RV parking as well. They have a shower for campers, and the restaurant is right there for meals, plus TV, sometimes music, a nice patio.

Desertbull - 10-2-2017 at 09:52 AM

it's dangerous ... camping alone anywhere in the San Quintin Valley both north to Ensenada and south to the end of SQV is dangerous...these ruthless criminals prey on tourists...either stay in a regular campo but don't camp alone remote ...

David K - 10-2-2017 at 09:56 AM

There are two RV parks (campgrounds) nearby, on the beach:
Km. 16: El Pabellon (1.2 miles from the highway).
Km. 16.5 Fidel's El Pabellon (1.3 miles from the highway).

PHOTOS (in 2017):
Cielito Lindo (Km. 11 + 3 miles in) and the beach:

The former Wet Buzard Cantina at the former Gypsy's RV Park:

El Pabellon (sign at Km. 16):

Fidel's El Pabellon:

Isignay - 10-2-2017 at 10:48 AM

What about the point near the volcanoes , same safety concerns or is it safer since it's tucked away from the towns?

[Edited on 10-2-2017 by Isignay]

SFandH - 10-2-2017 at 12:41 PM

I don't think many people camp around San Quintin outside of established campgrounds that have some security. Ask the moderator (Ron) of this Facebook page. He lives on the coast west of San Quintin.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

Lee - 10-2-2017 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Isignay  
Is it safe to camp on this stretch of beach?

I'd stay at Olivos if I were in the area. And walk to Jardine's next door.

http://www.losolivosrvpark.com

honda tom - 10-3-2017 at 09:32 PM

san quintin area is dangerous.... simple answer. i avoid it mostly. But... the hotel at the old mill is really cool and 8 of us will be staying there on the next trip down. we are making a big loop with 4 pre-run vehicles and i feel comfortable out there. Don't think i would be camping alone anywhere in the area, the town is full of drugs and crime ... and an isolated campsite could be an easy target. when traveling the pacific side down i have always seemed to relax when we get passed san quintin. add a day and continue south!

fishbuck - 10-4-2017 at 01:47 AM

Punta Mazo might be safe now.
http://terrapeninsular.org/en/punta-mazo-natural-reserve/
http://terrapeninsular.org/en/visit-nature-reservas/

I want to get out there soon and check it for camping.

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by fishbuck]