BajaNomad

Best Place to Buy Alcohol in Rosarito/TJ/Ensenada

bryanmichaelmeyer - 10-4-2017 at 07:52 AM

Any suggestions on buying a large amount of alcohol in the area? I went up on Costco Mexico's website and the prices seemed similar to the states. Any recommendations on where we should get cases of beer, alcohol, and wine?

thanks-Bryan

Udo - 10-4-2017 at 08:00 AM

The best place to buy Alcohol in all of Baja is Licores Don Pisto. They have three locations in Rosarito and one in Puerto Nuevo.

One of the Rosarito locations is across the street from the Rosarito Beach hotel. The other one across the street from the Burger King in North Rosarito, and the third location is on the East end of the boulevard south of Rosarito and in the middle of all the shops that sell all the tiles, pots, furniture, iron works, etc.

You may google it if you wish to get a map for the locations.

willardguy - 10-4-2017 at 08:13 AM

the Don Pisto warehouse store across the street from the carls jr,autozone,calimax on benny juarez in rosarito for your hard liquor. for a huge selection of tequila's and mezcal's del mar market just south of town on the free road

bryanmichaelmeyer - 10-4-2017 at 08:13 AM

Awesome. So this would be the best place to buy large quantities of beer and liquor for a 100+ people party? how is costco not cheaper?

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by bryanmichaelmeyer]

willardguy - 10-4-2017 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bryanmichaelmeyer  
Awesome. So this would be the best place to buy large quantities of beer and liquor for a 100+ people party? how is costco not cheaper?

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by bryanmichaelmeyer]

yup the warehouse store is easy. another great choice is the huge La Playas liquor store in tijuana on paseo los heroes

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by willardguy]

del mar - 10-4-2017 at 08:57 AM

if you're not opposed to navigating tijuana I know some bars buy from La Playa, don't quote me but I believe they offer 10% discounts on monday. and they often have senorita's offering free tequila samples!

BajaTed - 10-4-2017 at 09:16 AM

It's time to show Las Vegas some love,
Go to a Lee's Liquor stores in Las Vegas, most awesome selection of stuff I've ever seen.

Getting duped with bad booze is real in Mexico

Gypsy62 - 10-4-2017 at 02:03 PM

Re Tequila, My 2centavos:
Both soriana and calimax have occasional sales w/ screaming deals.
Maybe 3x a year soriana has a week-long "buy 2-get 1free" (aka 1/3rd off) on almost all tequilas. A great time to get your stash of the good stuff to supplement the daily-dip.
They may still be running their "spend 1,000 pesos on booze, get 250 booze credit (20% off)", which was active last week.

In Ensenada, there's an excellent Tequila-only shop in the soriana complex located at the corner of reforma and calle damante*. It is owned by a very friendly and VERY knowledgeable gal (I speak basic EspaƱol; in inglese no se). I suspect that she might "work with you" on discounting a large order (however, avoid her younger sales chicos as they are more hustle than knowledge).

Obviously, tequila preference is entirely a matter of personal taste, and you may already know what you like, but here's my nearly two years of limited experimentation, keeping under 600p/bottle for the good stuff, 300 for daily-dip:

"Smooths":
BEST: 1800 CRISTALINO. 550ish for 750ml, gorgeous heat, smooth draw and great finish.
Patrons.
Smooth daily-dips: Don Ramon (in spite of its pretentious pita bottles, quite excellent!), Azul, etc.

"Edged" (= 'nasty' cuervo-esque sabor)
Uppity: Los Arango...
Edged daily-dips: Cazadores (MX sabor seems superior to caza in US), El Jimador, etc

Damn the partisanship and full Tequila debates ahead!

* located three blocks further inland on the right-hand (south) side of Calle Damante, there's a purified water plant called "Agua Real". Multi-filtered and imho Best damn water in baja; bring your garrafones!

soylent_green - 10-4-2017 at 02:19 PM

x 2 for La Playa in Tijuana. They are a Mexican version of a BevMo. I think Wednesdays they have pretty decent specials.

Smart and Final has great deals on beers and wine. At least the one heading south in Ensenada. Really great wine selection. 6pack Carta Blanca in cans for like 55 pesos ftw

And for tequila, hands down Mercado del Mar a couple miles south of Rosarito is the Agave Vatican of Baja, and Don Blas the proprietor is the Holy Father of Tequila. Don Blas is also a great resource for baja wines.

Honorable mention (mentioned above post) is their sister liquor store in Ensenada "La Catrina" Tequileria y mezcaleria (Soriana Hiper shopping complex - southeast corner - on The Transpenensular heading south).

-
or break out the cash and see if you can get kegs from one of the microbreweries like Transpenensular, Aguamala, Wendlandt in Ensenada, plus a bunch in TJ. Pretty sure they all sell kegs

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by soylent_green]

Road Runner - 10-4-2017 at 08:56 PM

Walmart.

Udo - 10-4-2017 at 09:09 PM

Just for you who are actually still tasting tequilas just to see what you would like:

Next Thursday through Sunday (Oct. 12-15) there is a tequila expo in Tijuana right in front of the Jai-Alai palace. It costs about $6.00 for an all-day pass of tequila tasting. They will also offer food as well as folclorico dancing. The entire block will be closed for about 30 booths offering different tequilas to taste. Additionally, tequila will be sold at discounted prices. They are open from 2 p.m. to 1 a.m.

http://www.expo-tequila.com

bajabound2005 - 10-5-2017 at 05:36 PM

i am not a walmart shopper, but they have great prices on chilean and argentine wines --- ensenada

LancairDriver - 10-5-2017 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabound2005  
i am not a walmart shopper, but they have great prices on chilean and argentine wines --- ensenada

Being a wine connoisseur and only shopping for wine at Walmart disqualifys one from being a full fledged "Wall Martian" shopper. :lol:

Gypsy62 - 10-9-2017 at 09:01 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Udo.
Def making the TJ trip to the agave-fest!
Any suggestions re which day is best to attend?
It appears to be four days, thurs-sun. I generally try to avoid weekend amateur hour, but if more "makers" will be sporting their sips sat-sun then weekend it is...

Yes, indeed; some of us do still "taste", even savor, a quality tequila!
Many thanks!