BajaNomad

REST-IN-PEACE BAJA NOMAD MEMBERS

ELINVESTIG8R - 10-7-2017 at 11:11 AM

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by BajaNomad]

David K - 10-7-2017 at 11:33 AM

So sad, but death catches us all, sooner or later.

Here are just some Nomads off the top of my head who are on the other side...

Mike Humfreville, KASHEYDOG, Mike Supino, Baja Bernie, Taco de Baja (Brooks), fdt (Ferna de Tijuana), bajalera, Curt63, Corky1, and the list goes on.... jimmy smith, Debra ('TravelPearl'), Brandi, Bedman, Carlos Fiesta, Diklang, ...

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by David K]

AKgringo - 10-7-2017 at 01:18 PM

I did not know that Toneart passed away! I just returned to Grass Valley (his hometown) this week, and was going to try to meet up with him.

I never met the man, and in fact never knew his last name since our only contact was on this board, or by U2U. I learned more about him from the recent obituary;

http://www.theunion.com/news/obituaries/obituary-of-tony-har...

ELINVESTIG8R - 10-7-2017 at 02:48 PM

DianaT - 10-7-2017 at 03:08 PM

So sad about Tony! Did not know he had crossed over. While visiting family in Grass Valley a few years ago, we had breakfast with Tony after a long time of personal messages. It ended up being a breakfast that went into lunch time.

He had already outlived his diagnosis and was doing amazingly well. His attitude toward the illness was so positive. We kept in contact off and on and recently John asked if I had heard from him recently. We both really liked Tony and hoped to meet up again.

DEP Tony, you helped so many while fighting your own battle. :(

DianaT - 10-7-2017 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Tony was a good one for sure, news of his passing has been over at you know who's and two pages of filth here on the OT.....it took El8 to bring it to the main board. thank you David

I seldom visit here for many reasons and stay totally away from OT. It is too bad it surfaced there.

When we met, we talked quite a bit about fulano's hateful attack on him and others and the methods fulano uses ---- sick person he is.

On edit, I just read that filth in OT and am sickened by the trashing of Tony. Sick, just sick and filthy garbage.

But Tony can RIP knowing how much good he did for other people and his community.

[Edited on 10-7-2017 by DianaT]

Barry A. - 10-7-2017 at 03:48 PM

I never actually met Tony, but we sparred often being we were at opposite ends of the political spectrum. I had long conversations with him via e-mail about his situation, Baja, politics, and everything in between and he was always a gentleman and I felt we were friends. I never go to OT anymore, and was not aware of his passing. Thanks so much to Elvestor18 for posting this on the main board. I will miss that guy!!!

On edit: I left out that we also talked a lot over the phone, and again he was always the gentleman, intelligent, and so kind, to me anyway.

[Edited on 10-7-2017 by Barry A.]

tiotomasbcs - 10-7-2017 at 05:05 PM

It was discussed that Tonehart was an artist/musician. How interesting a life he lived...SF in the early days, Sausalito, Grass Valley where many hippies re settled. JJJ was/is just a bastard ... Dennis and many others understood their lack of worth/ value! Mulege is crying as we in Todos Santos lament our founders... true explorers and artists & musicians. Dust in The Wind. Feeling a bit withered. Tio ps I would love to read on a new post the life Tony lived here in Bajas earlier days. I know many of you knew him, por favor.

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by tiotomasbcs]

Lee - 10-7-2017 at 07:15 PM

I too communicated with Tony and planned to stop by Grass Valley last year. He said meds weren't working and he was going down. Wrote him recently and didn't hear back so figured it was over. Regret not meeting him. He was a decent guy.

CaboMagic - 10-7-2017 at 07:35 PM

:( ... heart-break to read this ...

Tony and Dennis .. Both gentlemen and so very kind to share on this forum their knowledge and wisdom.

From an email Tony sent me in Feb 2015, he wrote "I am attaching a photo of my navigator".

Rest in peace.

Tony Hardwicks dog.jpg - 35kB

Udo - 10-7-2017 at 07:57 PM

There are a number of Punta Banda neighbors (near the blow hole in Ensenada) who have passed these last 4 weeks.

I think we all have to look at whether we have our affairs in order. Can that significant other, or family member, access your accounts, passwords, investments, etc?

Can that person speak for you. Can that person access or serve and advance directive?

These are all the things we have had to go through the last few weeks.

Think about it.

BajaBlanca - 10-7-2017 at 07:58 PM

Oh my gosh, my good friend Toners is gone.

Tony and I met in the 90's and it is a strange story of how our meeting went. We taught at the same school in downtown San Diego, he had morning classes and I had night classes.

One day in the lunchroom, I overhear some colleagues talking about how Tony was living in a hotel because he had broken up with his girlfriend. His money was short and he was in a bind. I had a big house with an extra room so I suggested they have him call me. We met up, he really was in a bind and he stayed in my spare room until he got back on his feet. I got to go to the Hotel Grand and hear him play with many other amazing musicians. Thus we became friends.

He moved to Mulege and eventually I met Les and moved to Bocana so we went over to see his Oasis casita. I do remember his insisting that I join nomads but I resisted for quite a long time. I can't thank him enough for convincing me!

I will miss Toners - he was a one of a kind guy. I know that he was not doing well since he told me someone was taking care of Paco, his navigator. No one gives up their buddy unless really in a bad way.

RIP Tony....

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Udo - 10-7-2017 at 08:00 PM

Thank you for this tribute!

All of us dreamed of this view as our ideal Baja.

Until we see it on the other side!

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  

bajamedic - 10-7-2017 at 09:42 PM

Udo, I would love to hear of your other side experience. As a Paramedic for much of my career, I and many others have dealt with more death, dying and sickness than humans should ever see. If you ever feel like talking about it, I would love to listen. JH

CaboMagic - 10-7-2017 at 10:32 PM

Just spent a bit more time reading the News board - so sorry Udo to learn of your loss as well. It's been a really challenging couple of years for you it seems from what I glean reading.

ELINVESTIG8R thank you for the post and for that beautiful photo of Tony and Mama Espinoza ..

Diane so nice to see a post from you .. how are you and yours?

Blanca small world gets smaller all the time doesn't it?

DavidK that list of Amigos makes me sad, add Debra Travel Pearl and of course Jimmy Smith too ...

RnR - 10-8-2017 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  

POMPANO -

Any new info ......?

Tony

msawin - 10-8-2017 at 08:06 AM

Sad. Tony, I got to talk with him on the phone once but never face to face. Our store is in down town Grass Valley and Tony came and talked with my wife Shawna one time and they got to talk about our Baja adventures. Drove past his casa many times and of course in a big hurry to get to our destination as quickly as possible with out a stop to say hello. Same as passing Russ's...
When we first bought our place in Tripui almost 20 years ago we were the youngest couple in the place. We have also lost a list that is too long of neighbors that have passed on to the other side.
The time that we have to interact with friends like all of you that use this website to share all of our Baja dreams is to me along with my family is what life is about. Don't waste any chances...

shari - 10-8-2017 at 08:28 AM

The slow rapture is beaming Nomads up one by one. I can just see them all at happy hour on a beautiful Baja beach laughing about the antics of us left behind. While they surely are missed here in the sandbox, it warms my heart to think of them enjoying the other side.

David K - 10-8-2017 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  

DavidK that list of Amigos makes me sad, add Debra Travel Pearl and of course Jimmy Smith too ...

DONE!
Thank you for those additions. I forgot Don Jimmy was here on Nomad, I was thinking he was only on Amigos de Baja. Debra passing is still a shock to me and I guess I dismissed it mentally! Thanks for the reminder.

Adding also another "way too young" Baja Nomad to pass away just recently was 'Brandi' (Gonzaga Lover).
'Diklang' left us years ago, too soon.
'Carlos Fiesta' was one of Baja's greatest promoters and a super human being
'Dave in 29 Palms'
'Bedman'... wow, we lost Steve this year, too. He was so cool!

This is depressing!

Of course, there are a few more that we don't hear from anymore here and I worry they too are gone? Pompano is missed and had health issues, jeans (Mindy) was not well and it has been awhile since I saw any post from her. M (Michelle) vanished, too... and shortly after she made a comeback here.

A sad truth is the older we get, the more friends we lose... that is another unpleasant aspect of aging.

shari - 10-8-2017 at 09:22 AM

let us not forget a local legend Surfdoc!

Lee - 10-8-2017 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

A sad truth is the older we get, the more friends we lose... that is another unpleasant aspect of aging.

Enough already David!

Aging isn't unpleasant and neither is dying, passing on, crossing over or whatever you want to call it. Depressing?

Dennis wasn't happy after the first stroke and his decision to leave (just the way I see it) was his to make.

If ''passing'' is what happens, then we need to celebrate the journey and party on down.

Tony had a good life and he passed happily. I'm betting he had a smile on his face.

There is no sad truth. Aging is neither depressing or unpleasant. Stop thinking of yourself and stop crying in your beer.

Paco Facullo - 10-8-2017 at 09:41 AM

I haveta agree 1000% with what Lee just wrote.....

The most we can hope for is to live a long happy fruitful life..

And what I have seen is that most Nomads fall into the category of living life to it's fullest version...

It is sad when a young'n dies and didn't get to experience all that life has to offer.
Or especially when a child dies before their parents....

chuckie - 10-8-2017 at 09:47 AM

AMEN!

That's Life !

MrBillM - 10-8-2017 at 11:27 AM

The BEST that anyone can hope for is a quick and clean exit at the point when the disabilities and infirmities resulting from the aging process make the proposition of continuing too bothersome.

Having witnessed it far too often, the prospect of a painful bedridden existence in need of constant caretaker assistance with no hope of significant improvement is a fate worse than death.

Unfortunately, that lingering, deteriorating and dismal future is usually the case.

When someone who would otherwise be subject to that dismal existence exits, those who care should celebrate the escape.

Life may (or may not) be a b-tch, but the ending usually is.

Avoiding THAT is good luck.

Paco Facullo - 10-8-2017 at 11:58 AM

Just in case anyone needs an easy "way out "
here is the answer....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag

David K - 10-8-2017 at 01:58 PM

If it wasn't clear, I meant sad for us, not them. The remembering Nomads gone is a good thing to not forget the good times.
Please add names of Nomads who are gone so we won't forget them. That was what this thread was.

BajaTed - 10-9-2017 at 09:40 AM

Its not where you travel in life, but whom you travel with

Life's Traveling Companions

MrBillM - 10-9-2017 at 09:46 AM

Given that I am the BEST person that I've ever met and one is known by the company they keep ......................... Life's COOL !

Skipjack Joe - 10-10-2017 at 01:13 PM

Toneart was one of my favorite nomads. I'm really sad to hear this. We exchanged emails when we were both fighting cancer. He seemed so optimistic and the UCSF doctors gave him reassurance. He had the best medical care. But I guess it wasn't enough.

As many have said. He was a gentleman. His responses were always measured.

[Edited on 10-10-2017 by Skipjack Joe]

mtnpop - 10-10-2017 at 04:16 PM

Tony and Paco were our neighbors in the Orchard in Mulege.. Always stimulating and interesting conversations with him... I seem to remember he brought a bass boat down to fish off of one year. I don't remember how that worked out except he found a buyer for it....
Paco, the big ole goofy dog was always at home where ever he found a door open, didn't matter whose casa it was.... Also remember he had some good meals off folks dining table while they were not looking.
Sad to see Tony go...

JZ - 10-10-2017 at 05:13 PM

What ever happened to FlyFishingPam (think that was it) who was from Loreto? Haven't seen her post for years.

Marc - 10-11-2017 at 07:42 AM

I met Tony years ago. We had dinner and great conversation. After dinner he showed us around his house in The orchard. I stopped by many times on my trips to Mulege but never did reconnect. RIP

Udo - 10-11-2017 at 08:02 AM

It was a highly emotional experience for me. So many things went on and what I saw was highly unexpected.

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
Udo, I would love to hear of your other side experience. As a Paramedic for much of my career, I and many others have dealt with more death, dying and sickness than humans should ever see. If you ever feel like talking about it, I would love to listen. JH

Udo - 10-11-2017 at 08:06 AM

Nicely written Shari!

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
The slow rapture is beaming Nomads up one by one. I can just see them all at happy hour on a beautiful Baja beach laughing about the antics of us left behind. While they surely are missed here in the sandbox, it warms my heart to think of them enjoying the other side.

Maron - 10-12-2017 at 11:48 AM

I also loved your post, Shari! And I would like to report that my husband, Ron Faulkner, passed away a year ago today. So obviously I'm thinking about him a lot, and he loved being a Baja Nomad and was on the site often. We both have submitted posts under the handle 'Maron' (Mary Ann & Ron). I /we have been grateful for all the useful information, and I'll continue to check in frequently.

shari - 10-12-2017 at 12:14 PM

thank you Mary Ann & Udo. Since my "near death" experience, I KNOW that it is not to be feared or dreaded as it is soooooo beautiful and perfect on the other side...so when people pass I somehow feel actually positive about their experience....while feeling so very sorry for those of us left behind to deal with the loss.

elgatoloco - 10-12-2017 at 12:49 PM

Sad to hear about Toneart and Dennis. RIP.

BajaBlanca - 10-12-2017 at 05:45 PM

Sorry about your loss too Maron.

Bubba - 10-13-2017 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
let us not forget a local legend Surfdoc!

374171_4869710859822_545939006_n.jpg - 23kB

tiotomasbcs - 10-13-2017 at 06:34 PM

A Gentle Giant who was just getting his groove on! Live your lives for today, Amigos. Tio