BajaNomad

My Toyota Tacoma finally had a problem in Baja! UPDATE: Repair photos added.

David K - 10-16-2017 at 10:13 PM

With all the trips and miles added, especially this year, my fail card finally came up!

The truck is a 2010 and has 109,000 miles on it with most of the last 20,000 miles doing these Baja Bound research trips for the new guide. This was TRIP #7... unlucky 7!

The good news is my Tacoma did not leave me stranded and I still could drive it 250 miles back home!

I have has flat tires and my battery needed replacing on my trips this year, but nothing else.

Well, my Tacoma had its first mechanical problem in Baja... my card finally came up! LOL

The good thing is I could still drive it, albeit carefully, back home!

It was the rear brake that came apart or ?? (I will find out soon).

The rear brake (a drum brake) blew a seal, it seems, as fluid came streaming out... but that was after they locked up or were binding (left side). I actually thought it was the front disk brake pad that may have got a rock jammed in it.

I was on a road that I was just informed was impassable... or risky even though the Baja 500 recently used it. I needed to see for myself, plus it was my plan to go on from Mike's Sky Rancho to Hwy. 3. We went this way with no problems in 2005. Oh, how 12 years and lots of rain can change things in Baja!

Anyway, climbing a short, rock ledge in low range, the truck didn't want move after I parked to look at tire placement. I gassed it and it made a clunking sound and acted like one brake was frozen. I parked for a while and noticed that driving in reverse was not a problem... but did make sure it wasn't drivetrain related as it made the clunking in 2WD and 4WD.

I sent emails to Larry (bajatrailrider) [as he was going to Rancho el Coyote with motorcycle riding friends that day] and Rancho El Coyote, to contact me as I had a problem. {The Garmin/ DeLorme inReach satellite device is an amazing tool to have when you are traveling in the boonies}

I went ahead and tried driving it back to El Coyote... I was only 3.7 miles away. Thankfully, I made it and all was well until I noticed my back tire was wet... on the inside (so no dog pee) and there was a growing puddle of brake fluid.

When Larry and his gang showed up and heard my description they said to use vice grips to clamp the rubber hose that feeds fluid to the brake drum and that the fluid remaining is devoted to the front brakes and they do 80% of the work. In addition to the vice grip, I wrapped bailing wire and cinch strapped the vice grips so it wouldn't un-lock... plus I made a cinch strap chain to not lose the vice grips if it did come off. Mike (who lives at El Coyote) gave me some rubber to use with the vice grips so the teeth won't damage the brake hose. A great Baja solution.

El Coyote has wifi and I texted my Toyota mechanic and he concurred with the solution and assured me that the front brakes would be doing fine for the drive home and he would try and get me into his shop Tuesday.

It is 35 miles and 3,000 feet down to Highway 1 from El Coyote, and that was the first test. At the Pemex just north of the junction with then observatory road, I bought brake fluid and added it to the very low reservoir. That turned off the brake and traction control warning lights.

Driving home, I used the gears as much as possible to slow down and no heavy braking. Coming to stops in Maneadero and Ensenada, plus the borderline stop and goes was all the worst part as the truck would act like the brake was frozen until I got rolling over a few miles per hour... not always, but mostly.

The main thing is the Toyota, even with a destroyed brake, got me home... Oh, what a feeling! ;)

PS, the rear brakes are the original that came with the truck.

The vice grips were from Larry, as I did not have any in my small tool collection... so bajatrailrider saved the day! The rest of the story will be in TRIP REPORT #7: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87976

Here is the fix:

When I see what the brake drum insides look like, I will share that!

[Edited on 10-18-2017 by David K]

fishbuck - 10-17-2017 at 01:18 AM

Classic and awesome:coolup:

BajaBlanca - 10-17-2017 at 07:24 AM

wow, what a good Baja story!

ehall - 10-17-2017 at 07:45 AM

Why didn't you get it repaired in San Vicente? Toyota brake parts are probably readily available. Probably saved some money too. lol

BajaBlanca - 10-17-2017 at 07:52 AM

I'm guessing insurance covered it at home?

bajatrailrider - 10-17-2017 at 07:53 AM

I learned this trick from a Mexican rancher. I was in his truck co pilot we went up and down steep climbs in 4x4. I noticed every down hill he never used the brake pedal. It was standard shift truck he would turn off key. Put shift lever in first gear at bottom turn key back on. I asked him why he never used brakes. He said look under my truck I have no brakes all brake lines had vise grips. To pinch off fluid so his metal to metal shoes would not destroy drums.:)

ncampion - 10-17-2017 at 07:57 AM

You mean to tell me that Toyota still used drum brakes? Just pulling your chain. :):):)

bajatrailrider - 10-17-2017 at 08:01 AM

Have also to add David puts his Toyota to the test. He does not baby it hard core all the way.

David K - 10-17-2017 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Why didn't you get it repaired in San Vicente? Toyota brake parts are probably readily available. Probably saved some money too. lol

It was Sunday, otherwise that was an idea. However, I am on very limited funds and I will guess that mechanic doesn't take credit cards? I have a great, off road racing mechanic here who is Toyota tech trained and very reasonable.

Blanca: At 7 years of age and 109,000 miles my warranty is no longer available

David K - 10-17-2017 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
You mean to tell me that Toyota still used drum brakes? Just pulling your chain. :):):)

Yes, in back... Perhaps the same reason the big semi rigs use drum brakes? They have not worn down or had a problem until now, 7 years and 109,000 miles of wear.
I will take photo of what we find. I am hoping my mechanic can get to it today... he is very popular with Tacoma owners and desert racers!

TMW - 10-17-2017 at 09:05 AM

Glad you got home safe and sound.

While the front brakes do most of the braking on a vehicle without rear brakes there is a difference in stopping power. Don't try any panic stops. I lost the rear brakes on my 04 GMC a couple of years ago due to rock damage. Driving home was OK as long as I was prepared to stop. It just takes longer.

sd - 10-17-2017 at 09:13 AM

DK - I think you better add a vice grip sticker to your window.

Great story!

ehall - 10-17-2017 at 09:34 AM

It could of been worse. On my jeep my braided stainless line on the front got P-nched by the coil spring and the brake pedal went to the floor. Lucky I was only 1 mile from my house at the time.

[Edited on 10-17-2017 by ehall]

ehall - 10-17-2017 at 09:35 AM

Wow, pi nched is a blocked word

del mar - 10-17-2017 at 09:52 AM

vise grips....got many a desert racer home ;)

David K - 10-17-2017 at 05:57 PM

Just an update... my super mechanic in Vista fixed the cause of the problem and he has never seen this happen before!

A part that holds the brake shoes in place, that is factory rivited to the backing plate, broke free and was wobbly. Other than a new axle swap, he pounded it back in place and welded in. I took photos, and will post later.

He is putting new shoes and cylinders on both sides, too.... as I type this. Anyone needs a great independent mechanic or off road installer, just ask!

bajatrailrider - 10-17-2017 at 07:03 PM

Ever try to ride a dirt bike down a hill climb with only rear brake. It hurts.

Mulege Canuck - 10-17-2017 at 07:14 PM

Got 335000 km on my tacoma. Mostly on logging roads going to work.

The fuel filter went. Methyl hydrate saved my butt and I limped home when it started to go. Unfortunately the filter and fuel pump are a single assembly so I had to replace the pump. Not cheap. $700 can dollars.

Put some methyl hydrate in your truck box. Works not only for water in the gas but cuts grease or varnish in the filter to get you home.

Sr.vienes - 10-17-2017 at 07:17 PM

Brakes??? We don need no stinkin' brakes!!! Not sure if they are still the same but I have used a drywall nail between the wheel cylinder and the flare nut. The cupped head on the drywall nail will make a perfect seal. Used to anyway. I know you can't file your points with a match book anymore.

KurtG - 10-17-2017 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
I know you can't file your points with a match book anymore.

Then use the match book to set the points gap! 1950's farm boy tune up.

ehall - 10-18-2017 at 04:39 AM

Brakes??? We don need no stinkin' brakes!!! Not sure if they are still the same but I have used a drywall nail between the wheel cylinder and the flare nut. The cupped head on the drywall nail will make a perfect seal. Used to anyway. I know you can't file your points with a match book anymore.

What a great trail fix idea with the screw. New one for me. The matchbook idea was still being used in the 80's when I was in high school.

motoged - 10-18-2017 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Yes....and with a front flat.....the fall didn't hurt.....it was the landing:biggrin:

AKgringo - 10-18-2017 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Yes....and with a front flat.....the fall didn't hurt.....it was the landing:biggrin:

That all sounds dangerous! Why don't you guys stay safely in front of a keyboard like the rest of us?

Jason to the rescue!

David K - 10-18-2017 at 10:31 AM

Here are photos (from my phone) taken of the problem and repair, Tuesday from 4 pm to 7:30 pm...

Jason has the first look and sees something looks very wrong!

This part with the two round rivets is crooked and loose! The right side spring attachment point is out and the left is in (as it should be).

Jason's right hand is holding the loose part. It is what holds the brake shoes in place.

This is the right side (illuminated well by the sun) and how it should look and solidly attached to the back plate.

The bad side, notice that part hanging there at a bad angle.

There is a lot of hammering to get the angle back as close to where it was, then out comes the MIG welder!...

New shoes and new cylinders installed to both sides then a lot of adjusting.

I drive home, brakes no longer making noise or grabbing when I leave a stop sign! The emergency brake does not work with this emergency fix because the angle of the part is not perfect for the shoes to make contact using it. The shoes are adjusted out to the max and still get the drum on the wheel. Nothing more could be done last night. The truck brakes fine with the foot brake.

A perfect repair will need a new half axle since the part (welded back on) is factory attached to the back plate with those two rivets. The back plate is attached to the half-axle. Anyone with a Second Generation Tacoma left side half axle they don't need??? ;)

Bajazly - 10-18-2017 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

. Anyone with a Second Generation Tacoma left side half axle they don't need??? ;)

I think have both from an 08 FJ I believe to be the same as the Tacoma axles. Check on that and I'll see if I do have them.

motoged - 10-18-2017 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

That all sounds dangerous! Why don't you guys stay safely in front of a keyboard like the rest of us?

Well, you and Bailey kept up with two dirtbikers riding 3 days from Mulege-San Juanico-Comondu- San Isidro-Mulege while driving your Tracker....who was taking risks then? Huh? :biggrin::cool:

David K - 10-18-2017 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

. Anyone with a Second Generation Tacoma left side half axle they don't need??? ;)

I think have both from an 08 FJ I believe to be the same as the Tacoma axles. Check on that and I'll see if I do have them.

Thank you for that offer... I am in San Diego County so shipping it may be the only issue if it does match? No rush, but nice to know if a local source is not available. Again, thank you!
PS Does not the FJ have disc brakes in back?

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2017 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Thank you for that offer... I am in San Diego County so shipping it may be the only issue if it does match? No rush, but nice to know if a local source is not available. Again, thank you!
PS Does not the FJ have disc brakes in back?

I am sure you could find part at the junk yards in Otay Mesa

Isn't there a junk yard in north county too?

bajatrailrider - 10-18-2017 at 01:51 PM

To drink beer watch football or golf or sit at key broad on a nice Sunday a crime very boring.:)

David K - 10-20-2017 at 05:28 PM

Sadly, the emergency repair failed and I had brake fluid draining out once again. The new brake shoes must have slipped off the damaged, but welded back on mount part. Jason says any irregularity causes the cylinder seal to fail and dump out fluid.

I was referred by a friend to an Oceanside repair shop with a good reputation and 5-star reviews, so Monday, a new Toyota half axle, "good" bearings, and install is scheduled. UGH $$$! Jason is on vacation, otherwise, he would help. The guy at this shop would not let me get an axle from a junkyard, so this work will be all guaranteed.

Sr.vienes - 10-20-2017 at 06:32 PM

That’s the problem with driving a Toyota David, so few of them wind up in the wrecking yard used parts are hard to find. The line plugging thing has to a be a drywall “nail” not a screw. When in Baja it is much safer to drive a Ford like I do since they have a high infant mortality rate and parts are scattered the whole length of the peninsula.

ehall - 10-21-2017 at 05:30 AM

That’s the problem with driving a Toyota David, so few of them wind up in the wrecking yard used parts are hard to find. The line plugging thing has to a be a drywall “nail” not a screw. When in Baja it is much safer to drive a Ford like I do since they have a high infant mortality rate and parts are scattered the whole length of the peninsula.

Haha. That's funny. Parts scattered the length of the peninsula.

David K - 10-21-2017 at 08:37 AM

Good point. Actually, Tacomas are quite popular in Baja and made in Baja. So, due to accidents they may be found in junk yards? I needed to get back to where I live, in this case. Larry said he has a ace mechanic in San Vicente who can fix anything.

bajatrailrider - 10-21-2017 at 05:45 PM

My Ace mechanic helped big time with a Toyota. Friends parked all there rigs in my compound. Took off for four days on 6 side by sides came back 8 at night. Lead .Toyota blocking all 4 rigs driver lost keys. My guy came over second key he had fit off they went.

PaulW - 10-22-2017 at 05:15 AM

Don't be deceived about finding junk yard parts for any Toyota in Baja. The pickings are very slim and the fix would still be temporary.

David,Yes, the first mechanic made a fix that was improper and new/replacement stuff is the way to go. Welding is a temporary fix and definitely not the way to go. Your second mechanic did the correct fix.

A couple of things to do after the last fix.
Drive a few miles and then take the thing to an alignment shop and have the rear axle checked.
Then have the good mechanic take the drum off and make sure all is well. You can do it your self, but I don't know what to tell you to look for?
Please do this before your next adventure down south.

kevin_in_idaho - 10-22-2017 at 05:29 AM

Glad it'll be fixed soon otherwise we'd have to start a new thread "Looking for David" in Baja :-) and since we don't have all the mapping s/w, etc. it might take us a while to find you :-)

PaulW - 10-22-2017 at 05:46 AM

I can find anybody in Baja. Just use your Inreach (SPOT would work as well) to give me the coordinates. All the it takes is driving time to get to where help is needed.

David K - 10-22-2017 at 09:00 AM

Thank you guys!

The Garmin DeLorme inReach is with me and tracking is turned on when I am in Baja, at least when I am beginning a new section of travel. I can email or text to anyone. People who have my inReach link can see where I am and where I have been with the track line... just like you saw in my Trip Report maps from the inReach.
I have about half a dozen Nomads who follow me on my trips, as well as my wife, so it is comforting to know I am not really alone out there in the "never-never".

When the brake first failed and seemed to lock up, preventing me from driving, I thought of my options. I was only 3.7 miles from El Coyote so well within walking distance. I sent an email to Larry 'bajatrailrider' who just happened to be riding towards El Coyote with his friends. He told me they have wifi there and he would check his email. I also emailed Rancho El Coyote about where I was and to ask Michael (who lives there) and Larry to contact me.

As it turned out, after about 30 minutes I tried driving again and the brake was not sticking as bad, so I got back to the ranch.

The road to Mike's Sky Rancho from the south is really trashed from the rains of last winter... deep gullies! I was told I hadn't even seen the 'bad part' yet. Michael Diogo (the solar power expert who lives at El Coyote and is a rider) told me he didn't think I could get through to Mike's in my (near-stock) truck.

Nobody maintains the roads up there anymore. Mike Leon Sr. used to (good for business, after all). Another man began to take his dozer in there and he suffered a massive heart attack and died. Mike's to Meling may only be for experienced bike riders and maybe extreme, short wheelbase 4x4s?

David K - 10-23-2017 at 11:25 AM

Sadly, the emergency repair failed and I had brake fluid draining out once again. The new brake shoes must have slipped off the damaged, but welded back on mount part. Jason says any irregularity causes the cylinder seal to fail and dump out fluid.

I was referred by a friend to an Oceanside repair shop with a good reputation and 5-star reviews, so Monday, a new Toyota half axle, "good" bearings, and install is scheduled. UGH $$$! Jason is on vacation, otherwise, he would help. The guy at this shop would not let me get an axle from a junkyard, so this work will be all guaranteed.

Update: The weld repair by Jason was good! A tube connection came loose is all and why fluid leaked. No new axle needed! Sure nice to have another honest mechanic here in North County San Diego.

ehall - 10-23-2017 at 11:31 AM

Glad you are back on the road.

David K - 10-23-2017 at 11:36 AM

Well, no I am sitting in the waiting room at Victor's shop. I just wanted to update the post.

EDIT: All good, at home now, back to writing! Thanks, Ed!!

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by David K]

mojo_norte - 10-23-2017 at 12:58 PM

The new Tacoma's are nice - maybe some late deals on a 2017

David K - 10-23-2017 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
The new Tacoma's are nice - maybe some late deals on a 2017

Yes, and my wife wants me to trade it in. I am reluctant... at 109,000 miles it is just a youngster and without any early lemon-issues a few of the new 3rd Gen Tacomas have experienced, I want to hang on to my 2010 a bit longer if not for the rest of my life!

To correct some misinformation posted further above: The truck did not break down but did need an emergency brake fix. Because I travel alone, it is simply wise to let friends know the situation. I do monitor others who send me their inReach or Spot alerts. Right now, a Baja Nomad friend is down there now and I am monitoring and conversing with him daily.

The (first) mechanic I took it to is factory trained, well known in the Toyota owners world down here in SoCal, and did a great weld job. That was confirmed today by another mechanic (why did you not read any of this part?). Only a tube was loose. Until it was inspected, we did not know why fluid leaked again, as it did in Baja at El Coyote.

Finally, I post here what goes on with my truck so that others who might have the same happen someday will know better what was the cause or how to fix it. Small vise grips and some rubber strips are a new addition to the few tools I have (I simply have not needed more because this truck is so reliable).

TMW - 10-23-2017 at 02:37 PM

Chuckie just wants to complain because he can't take that whale of a Ford he drives to places you go David. It's his form of politically correctness. If he can't go then nobody should.

AKgringo - 10-23-2017 at 02:44 PM

Well, no I am sitting in the waiting room at Victor's shop.

I can't help but visualize you pacing anxiously in the waiting room, waiting for news about your loved one!

Edit; I have a small fleet of Kia's, and all of them are potential organ donors for one of the others!

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by AKgringo]

chuckie - 10-23-2017 at 03:00 PM

Chuckie drives a Dodge....It is still a whine fest...

David K - 10-23-2017 at 03:09 PM

Well, no I am sitting in the waiting room at Victor's shop.

I can't help but visualize you pacing anxiously in the waiting room, waiting for news about your loved one!

Edit; I have a small fleet of Kia's, and all of them are potential organ donors for one of the others!

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by AKgringo]

LOL... like an expectant father? That does visualize funny!
No, maybe because I have aged, but I was just sitting still and reading or posting on Nomad and Tacoma World or just mentally planning my next Baja trip!

rts551 - 10-23-2017 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
The breakdown of this truck is NOT the second coming of Christ! It is a case of making a rather simple problem, which many of us have had into another big event. A poorly equipped driver, without basic tools or mechanical knowledge has to call for help rather than just getting to a shop. Then he takes it to an inept mechanic who makes it worse. Now we are going to be subjected to a blow by blow report of another overpriced nature. Then I see advice that tells us that welds don't last etc. DUH most of our trucks are mostly welded construction....My land, what a sob story...Stay home DK....and get a job...

Excellent point. many people have had to repair their vehicles (including Toyotas) without any fanfare. I usually skip over the DK posts but thught maybe there was a major issue here. I was disappointed again.

[Edited on 10-24-2017 by rts551]

billklaser - 10-24-2017 at 07:52 AM

Thanks DK, for all of us who drive in Baja, always helps to have information shared. Never no when this info will come in handy!

David K - 10-24-2017 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
Thanks DK, for all of us who drive in Baja, always helps to have information shared. Never no when this info will come in handy!

That's my thinking: info and details are important or interesting to most. I sure appreciate others who share their trip details. Nobody has to read anything here and the attempts to shame Nomads to not post are very sad and somewhat Stalinist, in my opinion. If you are not happy them stop trying to make others unhappy.

rts551 - 10-24-2017 at 08:48 AM

Hahaha...Just because someone finds a post unexciting does not mean they are unhappy. Most seasoned baja travelers, as has been pointed out, know about the use of vice grips.

DOn't worry , David, I have been trying to stay away from your posts...I just thought that maybe every once in a while (especially with a titles like that) there might be a gem out there.

[Edited on 10-24-2017 by rts551]

willardguy - 10-24-2017 at 08:50 AM

im tickled davids car is up and running :coolup: dilly dilly!

chuckie - 10-24-2017 at 02:39 PM

YES! Thanks DK!