BajaNomad

Please sign this petition

fishbuck - 10-17-2017 at 07:46 PM

Click to view this email in a browser

Hi Michael (Fishbuck)

Terra Peninsular has achieved great things in favor of the conservation and protection of the ecosystems in Baja California. When we were told it wasn’t possible, we persisted and kept going.

Please allow me to congratulate you for this, because you too are Terra Peninsular. Your continuous support has made us stronger and has made possible the protection of over 54,300 acres of magnificent landscapes and unique ecosystems in the world. Thank you!

Currently, our conservation project is threatened, but I want you to know that we are fighting and we will not stop until we succeed.
On October 9, 2017 a news story was published in the program Despierta con Carlos Loret de Mola about the legal situation of Terra Peninsular, concerning the issuance of 10 illegal property titles over the land where two nature reserves are located. These areas are protected and managed by Terra Peninsular in San Quintín, Baja California.

As a response, that same day we sent out a press release to clarify the following:

• The Secretariat of Agrarian, Territorial and Urban Development (Sedatu in Spanish) illegally issued 10 property titles to 9 people, these titles were signed by the Secretary of Sedatu, Rosario Robles Berlanga, in November 2015.
• In May 2016 we found out that these illegal titles existed and since then we have been involved in a legal process.
• As part of our strategy, we submitted an amparo (a legal proceeding for the protection of constitutional rights in Mexico), a civil lawsuit and a criminal complaint against Rosario Robles Berlanga, the director of Sedatu, and against the individuals responsible.

The Punta Mazo and Monte Ceniza nature reserves were purchased by Terra Peninsular in 2011 and 2015 respectively. Subsequently, both were certified as Areas Voluntarily Destined for Conservation by the National Commission of Natural Protected Areas.

We have all the necessary evidence to prove that the land where the two nature reserves are located was purchased by Terra Peninsular according to the legal processes and with the only intention of fulfilling our mission to conserve and protect the ecosystems that represent a natural and cultural heritage for Mexico and the world.

As a result and concerned for what could happen to the conservation project in San Quintín, we request your support to sign a petition, as individuals or organization. We will send this petition to the President of Mexico, Enrique Peña Nieto; the Secretary of Agrarian, Territorial and Urban Development, Rosario Robles Berlanga; and the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources, Rafael Pacchiano Alamán.

We intend the authorities to revoke the illegal property titles and to recognize Terra Peninsular as the legit and only owner of the lands. Our number one priority is to restore the conservation project in the nature reserves, so that they continue as a natural heritage of Baja California, Mexico, and the world.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

To be part of this petition, please send us an email to info@terrapeninsular.org and in the subject of the email add “I JOIN THE PETITION”, and include in the body of the email the name (s) of the individuals or organization. We will add the names on the petition, and we will also send a press release.

The deadline to sign the petition is Friday, October 20.

We deeply appreciate if you could share this information with the organizations and people you consider to join this petition and speed up the process.

Thank you all for your support!

Sincerely,

César Guerrero

Executive Director of Terra Peninsular

Nobody can change the world without friends.

Follow us on:

FacebookInstagramTwitterYouTube

About us | What we do? | Protected areas | Give | Photos

Any questions or comments?
Please contact us at info@terrapeninsular.org
Be part of our fundraising campaign!

Terra Peninsular A.C.
Calle Tercera 1282, Zona Centro
Ensenada, Baja California 22800
México

fishbuck - 10-17-2017 at 09:53 PM

info@terrapeninsular.org
Subject line
"I JOIN THE PETITION"

[Edited on 10-18-2017 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 10-17-2017 at 11:07 PM

The TV show that drove the petition

http://noticieros.televisa.com/videos/gobierno-federal-vende...

fishbuck - 10-18-2017 at 01:08 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/terrapeninsular/23788441128/in...

fishbuck - 10-18-2017 at 01:11 PM

A total of 45 volunteers participated and 3858 pounds of trash were collected after 5 hours within a distance of 9 miles.

http://terrapeninsular.org/en/first-beach-cleanup-san-quinti...

[Edited on 10-18-2017 by fishbuck]

MMc - 10-18-2017 at 05:45 PM

Have you seen Ron Hoffs post on Facebook? the story from the other side has some merit too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/189134000...

fishbuck - 10-18-2017 at 06:00 PM

Thanks Ron. Best solution for this is "light of day". Ron and I are litterally in different "camps" on this. He had the most info on it so I appreciate whatever I can get.
I am in the Fidiecomiso process now and waiting for my titles... so pins and needles...

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2017 at 07:45 PM

Fishy,
Ron is in business with the opposition, so he sees their side, by necessity. He is biased - as he has to be - he invested his money, so is just protecting his investment/investors.

He paints a supposedly unbiased story, but he is biased like the protagonists.

People fighting for right to pave paradise vs. environmental protection. I support the environmental protection.

I am biased too.

Some biases are morally superior.

Archie - 10-18-2017 at 08:57 PM

Except Terra its nothing about conservation, thats a mere façade.

They harvest a lot of private donations, then buy land and asks for federal funds for conservation, but 99% of the money goes to administration, all the work is done almost for free from locals, and in the end they own the land and keep the cash.

Thats the same method used by WildCoast, Pronatura and others.

They have an investigation pending from UNPD (united nations development programme) for malpractice.

fishbuck - 10-18-2017 at 10:14 PM

You forgot the carbon credits from the Paris accord. Terra sent an email about it. Cap and trade. They are a trade for somebody. They get paid for it.
But when was the last time people volunteered and picked up nearly 2 TONS of trash anywhere in Baja.
So they do good work wherever they get their funding. And they get people to take "ownership" of the Preserves.
Would you rather see another Newport Beach their instead? I know I wouldn't
Even the oyester farming isn't environmentally friendly.
It kills off the ell grass that the Black Brants love.
So Terra is the best bet to preserve and restore the bay and surrounding areas.
Terra has fenced it and has a Ranger so they have spent some money on the place to protect it.
Otherwise it was getting trashed and the rocks and gravel stolen.

[Edited on 10-19-2017 by fishbuck]

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2017 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Archie  

Except Terra its nothing about conservation, thats a mere façade.

They harvest a lot of private donations, then buy land and asks for federal funds for conservation, but 99% of the money goes to administration, all the work is done almost for free from locals, and in the end they own the land and keep the cash.

Thats the same method used by WildCoast, Pronatura and others.

They have an investigation pending from UNPD (united nations development programme) for malpractice.

Of course, organizations spend money on admin, salaries and fund raising, and rely on occasional volunteer labor. that’s the way the world works. Nothing wrong with that.
Your complaint is silly, and unoriginal

[Edited on 10-19-2017 by mtgoat666]

Archie - 10-19-2017 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

But when was the last time people volunteered and picked up nearly 2 TONS of trash anywhere in Baja.

The ayuntamiento of ensenada have done that in the beach and the arroyos, some political candidates have done that too, the national forestry commission in baja sur:

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/conafor-y-ayuntamiento-de-los-cabo...

the API:

http://www.tribunadeloscabos.com.mx/limpian-playa-el-medano-...

local universities:

http://www.elvigia.net/general/2017/6/6/ayudan-alumnos-limpi...

Even the dreadful maquiladoras had their own campaigns:

http://www.elvigia.net/general/2017/8/20/acuden-limpiar-play...

And they get people to take "ownership" of the Preserves.

Yah, putting a fence, blocking roads and denying entry says exactly that.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Your complaint is silly, and unoriginal

Of course it is, i have to come down to you level to make a point.

and that is that Terra are not good or bad guys, just mercenaries, and in this particular case, a very stupid ones, that bought land without checking all the background.

bajaguy - 10-19-2017 at 08:08 AM

Maybe you should come to Punta Banda and help out when the locals pick up trash along the highway and the beach on a regular basis, or maybe you could help when those same locals, using their own money buy material to patch the numerous potholes on the road to La Bufadora........Shouldn't paint everybody with such a broad brush

fishbuck - 10-19-2017 at 12:57 PM

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It was phrased as a question.
I am always happy to hear it when the people of Baja take the efforts to help keep Baja clean. I would love to help.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Maybe you should come to Punta Banda and help out when the locals pick up trash along the highway and the beach on a regular basis, or maybe you could help when those same locals, using their own money buy material to patch the numerous potholes on the road to La Bufadora........Shouldn't paint everybody with such a broad brush

fishbuck - 10-19-2017 at 01:28 PM

The fences and gates are there to protect the delicate ecosystem. The gates are open not locked.
There are many unnecessary trails and roads so the intent is to keep the place from being trampled and torn up which is what happenes when there is no order.
So alot of the unnecesarry rodes and trails are closed now.
No ones access is blocked.
Just to prevent everyone from making their own road and destroying the place.

Please sign the Petition:)

[Edited on 10-19-2017 by fishbuck]

JoeJustJoe - 10-19-2017 at 01:48 PM

I was waiting to hear the other side of the story, and I was very suspicions that one side of this debate, the so-called environmentalists wants people to sign a petition to help with their legal cause.

The merits of this case should be held in the courtroom, or the equivalent, and not from some petition drive, for supposedly a good environmental cause.

I know nothing about this case, nor do I care to listen from one-sided views, unless both sides are presented here.

These Mexican real estate, title battles, are often very complicated and take years to resolve, and should be left to the individuals with a vested interests in a fight.

I once invested many hours of my free time, trying to understand, a Rosarito, epic real estate battle, where one party, was trying to steal private property from another individual, for supposedly the public good.

But it turns out, the person who wanted to take( steal) the property, was working from pure greed motives, and luckily the person, who owned the property, won that epic real estate battle.

So take everything you read read with a grain of salt, because each side has their own motives.

fishbuck - 10-19-2017 at 02:00 PM

You are very correct. It's complicated.

My belief here is that Terra sees a real theat and is very concerned .
The intent is to bring intense scrutiny to the court case. Terra got surprised by a back room deal between the 9 indivduals and the government official.
Terra had the titles. They went in to pay taxes last May and the titles had been changed. That's how they found out.
So now the entire country of Mexico knows there is a corrupt government official making fake titles and stealing land.
And stealing land from an established natural reserve.
That's good PR for the cause. All in.

fishbuck - 10-19-2017 at 07:11 PM

info@terrapeninsular.org
Subject line
"I JOIN THE PETITION"

earth_postcard_1494192030.jpeg - 246kB

BajaGringo - 10-20-2017 at 10:37 AM

I was alerted yesterday to this thread and while I consider Mike a friend, I have to call him out on several points where he is simply sharing baseless allegations and outright fabrications. There are lots of people sharing opinions on this case when they actually know or understand very little about any of the facts or history, much less Mexican law.

I am acutely aware of the facts and history as I have lived here among these fishermen whose families have carried on this fight for half a century. And no, I DO NOT benefit in any way from this personally other than personal satisfaction of seeing justice done.

I have spent the last 15 years learning about the actual facts and details of this case and instead of just throwing out allegations, I will give you the a step by step history of what transpired through the decades with this area. I have in my possession nearly a foot high of files containing some of the most relevant issues in this dispute that help document everything that I will share here. The actual files in this case add up to a room full of file cabinets.

It's a long story so read this when you have the opportunity to do so without any interruptions. I would suggest you turn off your TV and your cell phone ringer, make a pot of coffee and sit somewhere comfortable. The story is long but it is important that you take it all in before making a decision one way or another. The upside is that you will learn a lot about Mexican property law and maybe spur you to take another look at your own property title, for those of you who have purchased homes down here in Mexico.

Conflict in San Quintin Bay with Terra Peninsular

I have received several messages in my inbox asking about the escalating conflict between the fishermen / oyster farms in San Quintin Bay with Terra Peninsula, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to land preservation causes and who in 2012 purchased some bayside / coastal property from Rafael Orendain and his company - Crola, SA, a Mexican land developer. The sole mission of this business (Crola) was to create a mega-development in the San Quintin Bay, using property controlled (under legal dispute) by Rafael Orendain, one of the partners in Crola and whose family had been involved in a long running legal dispute involving the same property going back several decades to the late 1940’s.

In 2015, the Secretary of Agrarian, Territorial and and Urban Development (SEDATU), who had replaced the old Secretary of Agrarian Land Reform agency (SALR) in 2013, with the authorizing signature of a Supreme Court justice ordered the Baja California state recorded land titles held by Terra Peninsular for the San Quintin Bay and coastal properties they had purchased from Rafael Orendain and Crola back in 2012, to be revoked. The federal order then also instructed for the 10 properties to be recorded in the names of 9 local fishermen who were granted national land titles for the properties; the same fishermen who had maintained an historic claim on these properties for decades, some going back to the 1960's.

Terra immediately cried foul and filed a request seeking a court injunction against the title transfer action. The new property titles remain in the hands of the fishermen and the injunction request is still pending. Terra no longer holds any of the property titles but they are still attempting to enforce some ecological protection orders over the lands they had managed to obtain to be able to help fortify their claim to regain the titles.

In doing so, they have erected a series of fences and gates controlling access to the coastal properties south of us here in La Chorera and it has caused a lot of hard feelings in general with the local community that was accustomed to enjoy free access without any restrictions to those coastal areas.

Terra has ratcheted their fight up a notch, seeking out a very friendly television report that gave a very one sided view of the story, sharing several false and unsubstantiated allegations made by Terra while only showing 2 very short and highly edited clips of the fishermen's side of the story, completely omitting their strongest legal arguments from the story.

I guess they have fake news in Mexico too.

Terra and Orendain have been successful in controlling the storyline up until now. Both benefit from strong financial resources with well staffed organizations, good media and political contacts and both are fluent in English, helping them to get their message out to a broad base of support.

Now they and some of their supporters have begun circulating a petition, asking for help to "fight the corruption over the illegal taking of their titles". It rings true with many who have witnessed repeated cases of corruption down here in Mexico and without a strong voice in opposition presenting the other side of the story, it is easy to accept as factual.

The other side of the story is a group of families who have been fighting the Orendain family for half a century for control of the land around the San Quintin Bay, with many of them still working the local bay oyster farms.

The Orendain family, represented today by Rafael Orendain and whose grandfather was originally involved in this land dispute, claims control of the properties in question via their acquisition after a series of questionable land sale contracts that originated from the concession they were granted from 1947 to 1957.

The fishermen counter that those sales contracts of the bay properties were fraudulent based on several key points:

1. The disputed properties are clearly outside of the boundaries of the authorized concession map that Rafael Orendain agreed to and signed in the concession of 1947.
2. The concession required the Orendain family to subdivide the large land mass and sell the properties third parties, not themselves.
3. The concession ordered the Orendain family to register all land sales with SALR who would document that they were indeed “terrenos nacionales” included in the concession and then record the new titles. They did not record any of these sales with SALR.
4. Their concession was only for 10 years and clearly stated that any unrecorded land sales at the end of the 10 year period would revert back to the nation and remain “terrenos nacionales”. SALR made 3 separate findings over the decades since the Orendain concession expired, each time published in the Diario Oficial (Federal Register) and documenting the bayside/coastal properties in question to be “terrenos nacionales”.

The strongest legal argument by far for the fishermen is the first point than in fact the properties were never even included in the Orendain concession to begin with. The Orendain family over the years would produce another, different concession map that was never authorized by SALR or included as part of the concession. This new map just happened to include the bayside properties in question.

To try to get around the second point, the Orendain family created sales contracts for most of the high value bayside properties using a prestanombre and years later that same prestanombre would then sell the properties back to the Orendain family. That prestanombre who was holding millions of dollars in fraudulent land contracts was the Orendain family chauffeur. Rafael Orendain would then use these illegal sales contracts, taking them with a copy their new map – not the approved concession map – and then register the land sales with the registrar to obtain land titles. These were always fraudulent, illegal titles from the beginning.

The fact that Orendain family recorded the land sales directly instead of the concession order to register them first with SALR was most certainly because they knew that SALR would see the land parcels as outside of their concession and immediately reject them. The fact that the SALR would make repeated, identical findings over the years all agreeing that these parcels were indeed “terrenos nacionales” proves that exact point.

The Orendain and Terra side of the dispute have been well represented on both corporate media as well as social media, including many loyal supporters who share everything posted by Terra and most people supporting them actually have little to no knowledge of the real facts involved in ths dispute.

These fishermen Terra is now defaming with cries of fraud and corruption are my friends. I have invested many years living down here among them in their community, breaking bread together and becoming a member of their families in a way that you get to know them personally, their character and their values. But none of these fishermen speak English and today I would like to be their voice in this dispute. I want for you to hear their side of this long story and explain why they feel completely justified with the recent action of SEDATU over the 10 land titles, still waiting for the remaining 18 to be issued soon.

The video on Youtube is just a bit over 30 minutes long but completely documents the real facts in the case instead of just making allegations and will give you a much better idea of the COMPLETE story, not just bits and pieces that favor one side or the other. I will put all of this out there and let you be the judge of which side is in the right, but I think once more of the history comes to light it may just change some of the preconceived notions you may have had prior. All I ask is to follow the video to the end before making up your mind.

These fishermen have invested generations of hard work and effort to hold, preserve and protect these properties, using sustainable fishing techniques, eco-friendly fishing processes and were the very first defenders of the bay's eco-systems, successfully fighting to squash Orendain's large development that would have certainly ruined the bay forever. Where was Terra Peninsular back then?

001.jpg - 72kB 002.jpg - 67kB 003.jpg - 46kB 004.jpg - 65kB 005.jpg - 91kB 006.jpg - 105kB

[Edited on 7-30-2019 by BajaGringo]

shari - 10-20-2017 at 10:52 AM

thank you for the in depth history of this issue which is so very common...it explains alot about other land disputes and how they came about. Sorting it all out is a monumental task....akin to native land disputes in some areas in Canada.

One thinks one is safe with a title but how that title was obtained can be questionable as in this case. I have personally seen how property lines are mysteriously and new properties mysteriously created where there were none etc.

Fishbuck....is the lot you just bought in this disputed land?

Archie - 10-20-2017 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

I knew that there was something else, other than concern about those poor guys from TP.

Actually, if he would have said that his investment was in danger too, i would have signed this as an honest request of help, but trying to divert from the truth just to benefit himself its a d!ck move.

BajaGringo - 10-20-2017 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
thank you for the in depth history of this issue which is so very common...it explains alot about other land disputes and how they came about. Sorting it all out is a monumental task....akin to native land disputes in some areas in Canada.

One thinks one is safe with a title but how that title was obtained can be questionable as in this case. I have personally seen how property lines are mysteriously and new properties mysteriously created where there were none etc.

It is complicated, something the Orendains were quite successful for a time in using to their advantage, waving state court decisions around as proof of their ownership when in fact the state has zero jurisdiction to decide whether the properties were even included in the original concession to begin with.

And yes, Mike's property at Pedregal is within one of the recent new national land titles emitted I believe, with the section north of the airstrip affected and the property south of there to be included in the coming round of new national titles emitted by SEDATU.

Regarding Pedregal, I would also like to add that I have spoken with the fishermen and there is zero interest or intention of evicting anybody from their homes, such as what happened at Punta Banda a few decades back. They see the folks owning homes in Pedregal as innocent victims in this as well.

Rafael Orendain and Terra Peninsular have not been so generous in their dealings with people in this regard.

Terra tore down a simple home belonging to some fishermen south of us here at La Chorera and Rafael Orendain chose to ride aboard the bulldozer himself when he paid to mow down the personal home and bayside facilities of my business partener years ago, the oldest holder of a federal oyster permit on the bay and legally occupying bayside land he was granted under a 20 year federal land concession. Orendain even preceded into the federal zone where my partner owned the federal zone concession and tore those facilities down as well.

That was an incredibly ugly day here on the bay and none of these fishermen, including my business partner are interested in seeing that story repeated.

After the the recent titles were issued to the fishermen in 2015, their attorney offered to the Orendains to meet with the residents at Pedregal to assure them that nobody would be evicted or run off.

I am told that he never received a reply back.

If any residents at Pedregal are interested in meeting with the attorney, please contact me and I will try to help make that happen...

shari - 10-20-2017 at 12:10 PM

kinda sounds like a Mano Negro scenario eh.

jureal - 10-20-2017 at 12:31 PM

I am boycotting Orendain Tequilla!

fishbuck - 10-20-2017 at 12:53 PM

When I stumbled on this issue myself back around May. I made a trip to San Quintin and later Ensenada. No one had heard about it yet.
I met with the agent there and he was able to get current copies of the titles.
Even after Terra's was changed mine in Del Morro were still in Orendains name which is good because I'm in the Fedi process with an attorney in Ensenada. He also verified the titles were correct.
I heard from Orendain yesterday and our area is not affected.
So all my due diligents indicates my property is not in dispute.
But the map sent out by Terra does seem to indicate I'm in the disputed area.
So I really don't know.
But my side in this battle was decided almost 15 years ago. When I decided to buy my lots from Rafael Orendain.Terra didn't exit yet and I don't think Ron had gotten to La Choera yet.
The Orendains have a reputation in the area as being honest and ethical business people.

fishbuck - 10-20-2017 at 01:05 PM

Please keep in mind that there is a current court case. This petition simply tries to expidite the case and try to keep it in the public spotlight to prevent corruption.
The truth will come out this way and is fair to all involved.
And thank you to my friend and neighbor Ron for sharing his info.

BajaGringo - 10-20-2017 at 01:10 PM

The Orendains have a reputation in the area as being honest and ethical business people.

I guess you missed the part about one of the state civil cases Orendain fought over this land battle using a power of attorney given to him by Miguel Nava Casarrubias, one of the Orendain "prestanombres"?

The very same Miguel Nava Casarrubias who was later discovered to have signed the POA nearly a year after he took up his final residence in a Tijuana cemetery?

There is a reason why Orendain and his collaborators were brought up on charges of using fraudulent documents and perjury.

Honest and ethical?

fishbuck - 10-20-2017 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

I guess you missed the part about one of the state civil cases Orendain fought over this land battle using a power of attorney given to him by Miguel Nava Casarrubias, one of the Orendain "prestanombres"?

The very same Miguel Nava Casarrubias who was later discovered to have signed the POA nearly a year after he took up his final residence in a Tijuana cemetery?

There is a reason why Orendain and his collaborators were brought up on charges of using fraudulent documents and perjury.

Honest and ethical?

I do find that somewhat peculiar. I didn't miss it I'm just not sure I believe it.
But that court case is over and Orendain won that battle. Turns out that death certificate was fake.
My observation is that the commercial fisherman's case is largely based on one typo after another. They find a typo and try to use it to win their case. Orendain defeats it so they scrutinize these old documents until they find another typo and file again.
This goes on over and over again. So these commercial fishermam just keep trying to chisle away property from the Orendains
What do they have to lose?
I also find it strange that the titles didn't get changed until after Orendain sold the property to Terra.
Orendain is probably the only live witness to all this. The commercial fisherman's case is based on heresay and dead people and typos.
So without Rafael to show up in court and refute the claims the titles miraculously get changed in a sneaky backroom deal.

BajaGringo - 10-20-2017 at 01:41 PM

Fishy,

Ron is in business with the opposition, so he sees their side, by necessity. He is biased - as he has to be - he invested his money, so is just protecting his investment/investors.

Sorry Goat but you are doing no better than the rest of the peanut gallery shooting out opinions with no real knowledge of the history or facts of this case.

I have ZERO to gain financially from any of this. In fact, the fishermen involved didn't even ask for me to do this. I did this on my own based on what I see as a very unfair and highly one-sided story going on right now in social media of the events up until now. I felt the need to set the record straight.

My property interests here were already protected - I did my homework before even considering building here over ten years ago.

My business interests here are with an individual who fought his own, parallel battle with the Orendain family and won years prior. His success in the courts proved fundamental to eventually help the other fishermen win their case later on.

I have no business or financial connections to these fishermen who were successful in recently obtaining their national land titles in 2015. However, knowing and living among them in this community over the years has given me great insight into the merits of their struggle, the strength of their character. They have earned my admiration and respect in the way they have continued to work and struggle under all of this abuse they have endured.

You want to know something interesting?

The fishermen were all offered an injunction (amparo) at one point that would have protected them from Orendain evicting them from these bayside properties. The offer came from a judge here in Baja California who knew the fishermen had no money but only asked to be paid with a plot of oceanfront land in return.

That would have been an easy way out but they refused, citing the reason that "the only people who get injunctions are those who know they are not on the right side of the law".

These are the very same people who dropped everything that day back in 2011 to save Cristina and I the day we were attacked, fearlessly following and helping the police to catch the perps who had tried to kill us, not knowing if they were armed and then stood by and watched over our home and animals in the months following as we slowly recuperated up north with family members, refusing to accept a single dime in payment when we returned.

Some biases are morally superior.

You are absolutely correct and how anybody could possibly believe that anyone besides the fishermen have the higher moral ground on this are simply not being honest...

BajaGringo - 10-20-2017 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

Honest and ethical?

I do find that somewhat peculiar. I didn't miss it I'm just not sure I believe it.
But that court case is over and Orendain won that battle. Turns out that death certificate was fake.
My observation is that the commercial fisherman's case is largely based on one typo after another. They find a typo and try to use it to win their case. Orendain defeats it so they scrutinize these old documents until they find another typo and file again.
This goes on over and over again. So these commercial fishermam just keep trying to chisle away property from the Orendains
What do they have to lose?
I also find it strange that the titles didn't get changed until after Orendain sold the property to Terra.
Orendain is probably the only live witness to all this. The commercial fisherman's case is based on heresay and dead people and typos.
So without Rafael to show up in court and refute the claims the titles miraculously get changed in a sneaky backroom deal.

MIke - Orendain lost that case on appeal when evidence of the fake POA came to light. You didn't see this?

Arrest Warrant.jpg - 116kB

BajaGringo - 10-20-2017 at 01:59 PM

This concession map of the bay area, surveyed by Orendain's own topographers and drawn up by Orendain's own civil engineer clearly leaving out the San Quintin Bay property was no typo Mike.

There is a reason why countless federal officials at the Secretary of Agrarian Land Reform and at the office of the Secretary of Agriculture and Development, the federal agency charged with determining national land status in Mexico - probably the closest thing down here we could compare to an official "title office", have REPEATEDLY determined for over half a century that those bay area properties were NEVER part of the original concession map and remained national lands.

That's a LOT of federal government officials working in different federal government agencies over the decades that ALL came to the EXACT SAME CONCLUSION.

So for there to have been corruption as you continue to allege, these same fishermen would have had to pay off countless hundreds of federal government officials over the decades, including the Mexican Supreme Court which refused to uphold the Orendain amparo and finally the supreme court justice who signed the final order.

That kind of corruption would have taken a lot more money than these properties are even worth Mike.

Open your eyes and use some common sense...

005.jpg - 91kB

[Edited on 10-20-2017 by BajaGringo]

fishbuck - 10-20-2017 at 05:21 PM

Thank you again Ron.
Anything that helps get this out in the open is a good thing.
I'm guessing that Terra paid in the millions for the 4000 acres they bought from the Orendain family.
Common sense would suggest that Terra would go after Rafael if they thought they had been swindled.
But instead they went after the "gang of nine" commercial fishermen. So that should tell you something.
Terra has money and lawyers and one would assume that they did " due dillgence" prior to spending millions of dollars. I'm sure the donors required it.
But again this will all come to light one way or another.
That is what this petition is all about.
So please sign if you haven't
Thanks

[Edited on 10-21-2017 by fishbuck]

BajaGringo - 10-20-2017 at 06:45 PM

Mike, common sense went out the window with this whole affair. It's quite obvious Terra DID NOT do their due diligence; if they had they would never have bought the property. I have heard from other private buyers who looked at buying in Pedregal but backed off when their attorney discovered the legal battle, contacted the attorney for the fishermen to look at their case and decided to pull out when they discovered the property has no national land title origin.

Neither Terra or their attorneys ever contacted the attorney for the fishermen and it's becoming quite obvious that they don't even understand what a national land title is, its significance and why the legitimacy of its origin cannot be litigated in a state court which has zero jurisdiction.

The petition your circulating is not asking for the injunction review process to be speeded up, it's propaganda - asking people to sign onto terra's version of the events.

But the fishermen do share your wish for expediency and they are looking forward to the scheduled hearing next week...

[Edited on 10-21-2017 by BajaGringo]

fishbuck - 10-20-2017 at 09:44 PM

Thank you again brother Ron. You have the most info and background on this.
I don't know any of the fishermen involved. I'm sure they are all fine and honerable men. At least I know Ron believes that so I will go with it.
I know Mr. Orendain a little. What I know is that he has been very good to me. And anyone I met who knows him and his family speak highly of them.
He is who I know so he is who I believe.

Who can predict the future?
But now this issue is out in front of the whole world to see. So I guess we will all find out together.
Enjoy the show folks!