BajaNomad

Baja 1000 in trouble!

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2017 at 01:40 PM

Ejidatarios de Mulegé cerrarán brechas a la Baja Mil; 8 predios impedirán su paso

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/ejidatarios-de-mulege-cerraran-bre...

El dirigente campesino del municipio de Mulegé, Arturo Saldaña mencionó que los comisariados de 8 ejidos del norte del estado acordaron cerrar las brechas por donde cruzan los corredores de la Baja Mil en demanda de una contraprestación de parte de la empresa que organiza esta justa internacional, por la cual a cada corredor se le llega a cobrar hasta 5,000 dólares por participar, sus imágenes y videos se comercializan en más de 20 países y reciben jugosas ganancias de patrocinadores, incluyendo subsidios de la Secretaría de Turismo, mientras que a los dueños de las tierras por donde pasan los costosos vehículos nomás les queda el ‘polvo’, además de los caminos destrozados ganado atropellado.

Los ejidos que impedirán el paso de la Baja Mil son: Guillermo Prieto, Ángel César Mendoza, Francisco J. Mújica, Díaz Ordaz, Zapata 3, San Ignacio, Luis Echeverría y Los Cuarenta; esto, luego de que recibieran de parte de la alcaldesa de Mulegé, Cecilia López, una solicitud para que firmaran su anuencia con los empresarios de Score Internacional, sin recibir nada a cambio.

Por tanto, 8 representaciones ejidales se reunieron para tomar acuerdos y decidieron cerrar las brechas a partir de este miércoles en el tramo Guillermo Prieto-El Arco, aunque en un camino cercano al Díaz Ordaz desde temprana hora de este lunes fue bloqueado el paso, por lo que no podrán cruzar los equipos que hacen el recorrido previo.

Arturo Saldaña aclaró que no es la intención de los campesinos sabotear la Baja Mil, pero sí exigen que tratándose de un negocio particular y no de un evento oficial, en este caso de una empresa extranjera, se les pague una contraprestación a los dueños de la tierra.

La Baja Mil es la más importante de su tipo en el mundo; se llevará a cabo del 14 al 18 de noviembre celebrando con esta edición sus primeros 50 años, con una ruta de más de 1,300 millas desde Ensenada hasta La Paz. Su principal atractivo es la gran biodiversidad y la belleza que ofrece la geografía peninsular.

StuckSucks - 10-18-2017 at 02:34 PM

Every year the ejidos go nose-to-nose with SCORE. I was in a 1000 25 years ago when old lady Meling parked a D9 Cat on the course, effectively saying "racers are not welcome." SCORE "compromised" by scraping a new road around the Meling property. The governments of Baja California and BCS are 100% behind SCORE and the Mil - I predict the race will go off as scheduled.

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2017 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Every year the ejidos go nose-to-nose with SCORE. I was in a 1000 25 years ago when old lady Meling parked a D9 Cat on the course, effectively saying "racers are not welcome." SCORE "compromised" by scraping a new road around the Meling property.

scraping a new road just for a silly race is good example of offroad racing's destruction of the environment. just saying....

David K - 10-18-2017 at 02:49 PM

To provide some clarity for those not readers of Spanish, this is a translation (from https://www.spanishenglish.com/ ):

The peasant leader in the municipality of Mulege, Arturo Saldaña mentioned that the curated of 8 ejidos in the northern part of the State agreed to close the gaps where the Baja Mil runners cross in demand of a consideration on the part of the company that organizes This international fair, in which each runner to get to collect up to 5,000 dollars for participating, your images and videos are sold in more than 20 countries and receive juicy profits from sponsors, including subsidies of the Ministry of tourism, While that the owners of the land where there are costly vehicles just 'dust', in addition to the wrecked roads have run cattle.

The ejidos which shall prevent the passage of the Baja Mil are: Guillermo Prieto, Angel César Mendoza, Francisco J. Mújica, Diaz Ordaz, Zapata 3, San Ignacio, Luis Echeverría and the forty; This, after he received on the part of the Mayor of Mulegé, Cecilia López, a request so sign your agreement with Score international entrepreneurs, without receiving anything in return.

Therefore, 8 ejidal representations met to take agreements and decided to close gaps from this Wednesday in the section William Prieto-El arch, although on a nearby road to Diaz Ordaz from early hour of Monday was blocked the passage, by the that it may not cross the teams that make the previous trip.

Arturo Saldaña clarified that it is not the intention of peasants to sabotage the Baja Mil, but yes they require that regards a particular business and not an official event, in this case a foreign company, is to pay them a compensation to the land owners.

The Baja Mil is the most important of its kind in the world; It will take place from 14 to 18 November celebrating with this edition its first 50 years, with a route of more than 1,300 miles from Ensenada to La Paz. Its main attraction is the great biodiversity and beauty offering the peninsular geography.

ehall - 10-18-2017 at 03:10 PM

So they want to get paid for race crossing their land? Pay them and move forward.

David K - 10-18-2017 at 03:22 PM

SCORE does pay for each kilometer and compensates farmers for any cattle killed and pays a fee to the ejido to repair roads.
The past history has shown that ejidos pocket that money, never fix the roads, and act like SCORE is the bad guy.
I think this is more of extortion to get even more cash from this event, an event that benefits countless Mexicans throughout Baja and one that has been run for 50 years.

motoged - 10-18-2017 at 03:50 PM

I have to jump in here....my thoughts are that the ranchers deserve fair compensation....what they do with the money that might be paid "in compensation" is their money and none of our business how they spend it. If they don't repair roads on their property (regardless of cause), again....none of our business !

If we recreational off-roaders don't like the road conditions.....stay at home to ride/drive on local ranches and see how your local ranchers respond to such "trespassing" :light:

DK...I am almost surprised to hear you sentiments on the story....do you just like old stone relics/ruins more than the locals?

Ya gotta pay if you want to play....

Just another village idiot....

chuckie - 10-18-2017 at 04:20 PM

I agree with motoged...

PaulW - 10-18-2017 at 04:26 PM

The govt also contributes funds to the land owners. I see govt providing funds for diesel to clean up the roads after the race. The ejido does get money and they distribute it to the owner of the land where the race goes. It has always happened. They just want to squeeze for a better deal. Happens every race.

Mexitron - 10-18-2017 at 04:50 PM

Ejidos have been taking lessons from US pharma...

Archie - 10-18-2017 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
SCORE does pay for each kilometer and compensates farmers for any cattle killed and pays a fee to the ejido to repair roads.
The past history has shown that ejidos pocket that money, never fix the roads, and act like SCORE is the bad guy.
I think this is more of extortion to get even more cash from this event, an event that benefits countless Mexicans throughout Baja and one that has been run for 50 years.

You´ll have to re-read the translation you posted before, it says the municipality of Mulegé asked them to sign a permit for the race in exchange of nothing. that doesnt exclude that the organizers may have payed the govt for permits, but its a clear sign that the money never made it to the land owners.

In Baja California, the ejidos organized themselves to ensure that SCORE pays the same amount for kilometer to each ejido they´ll cross and compromised the Ensenada local govt to fix the roads after the race, they forced the authority to write a post dated check to pay for the works, and if the govt fails, they´ll cash it and use the money to fix the mess.

In recent years, SCORE or somebody in its name came to the ejido heads and payed different amounts, depending on how easy was to deal with them. And yep, the money just went to a few pockets.

KurtG - 10-18-2017 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The govt also contributes funds to the land owners. I see govt providing funds for diesel to clean up the roads after the race. The ejido does get money and they distribute it to the owner of the land where the race goes. It has always happened. They just want to squeeze for a better deal. Happens every race.

I really don't know the details about how those funds are distributed but I have over the years talked with back country ranchers about the conditions of the roads after the race. The funds for road repair just don't always get used for that purpose, these aren't roads on private land but public roads like the one east from San Isidro. And yes that road has been in horrible unmaintained condition for some time so a little Score funded improvement would be awfully good PR. It has seemed to me that the enthusiasm for the race shown by people in the towns isn't always shared by those living in more remote places where the roads are their lifeline. I'm a life long motor sports fan and know that most race participants are good folk with good intentions. I do think, however, that the organizers could do a little better.

David K - 10-18-2017 at 05:19 PM

Not sure how I get misunderstood, but I thought I said what I was told plainly... SCORE PAYS the ejidos for using the roads and for any casualties of farm animals. That the ejido presidente pockets the money is not SCORE's fault.

I personally hate the roads after a race, but I also hate the roads after a hurricane. The race pays to fix the roads, the hurricane doesn't. I know how popular the races are and how it floods Baja with millions of dollars to business (small and large).

So Ged and Chickie, they DO pay, from what has been reported. Maybe contact SCORE media center for clarification? Why would you think I said otherwise. Ruins over people? I think not.

[Edited on 10-19-2017 by David K]

willardguy - 10-18-2017 at 05:41 PM

shut up david:rolleyes:

there's just too many people in baja now....B-V, big bear run, cactus derby, river run, get in line baja racing, you're going extinct:(

MMc - 10-18-2017 at 05:42 PM

I have said it before and will say it now," this race will not be around in 10 years". I will miss it and plan to see as many as I can until then.

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2017 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I have said it before and will say it now," this race will not be around in 10 years". I will miss it and plan to see as many as I can until then.

Good riddance!
The race destroys roads, leaves massive amounts of litter, and is unpleasant.
The fans are mostly cretins.
The race support crews are a menace to any traveler on hwy 1.
Good riddance!

TMW - 10-18-2017 at 07:03 PM

I think it will be a long time before the Baja 1000 is gone. Too many people make too much money to let it die and I'm not talking about SCORE. The traditional race to La Paz and Cabo will die before long but not the loop version up north. 1000 KM instead of 1000 miles will survive and it may become more of a multi-loop race, similar to the Baja 500 in 1988.