BajaNomad

Temporary Importation Permits?

roadtrip - 10-20-2017 at 06:59 PM

I have applied for and have en route to my mail box the temporary importation permit for my motorhome and tow dolly which we will be using for our trip from Canada into BCS.

My question is do I need a temporary import permit for my car that I am towing down with us as well?

Thanks for the help...

David K - 10-21-2017 at 08:50 AM

Cars don't need TIPs in Baja, but being towed with these new changes, maybe ask the Mexican consulate, Discover Baja Travel Club or Baja Bound Insurance as they stay current on travel requirements. It wouldn't shock me if the consulate didn't know that the Baja California peninsula has a unique deal for travelers.

sancho - 10-21-2017 at 11:47 AM

Per one of the US Mex travel clubs, Mex Ins brokers, they
had info that a MH getting the newer tip for Baja, cannot
tow a vehicle behind it over the border. So it was suggested to unhook
before crossing, driving the tow vehicle over separately, I ASSUME, that being a key word, that this would not affect one's Mex Ins policy,
the new requirement seems like a lot of things, that it
may be enforced or not.
To me, the only true answer to that ?, can only be found
definitively at the border crossing you plan to use, by Mex
Customs on duty at that time. There is contradictory info
floating around

[Edited on 10-21-2017 by sancho]

bajagrouper - 10-21-2017 at 03:50 PM

"" It wouldn't shock me if the consulate didn't know that the Baja California peninsula has a unique deal for travelers.""

Not quite unique, the state of Quintana Roo is like Baja where no TIP necessary.

satmike - 10-24-2017 at 08:38 PM

Every body keeps saying Motorhomes, That about trailers?

Hook - 10-25-2017 at 05:40 AM

I cant speak for Baja, but in the free zone of Sonora, UTILITY-TYPE trailers are currently NOT required to get a TIP. However, there was a period of about 18 months, a couple years ago, when they WERE requiring them for utility trailers. Then, they stopped.

Travel trailers have needed TIPS for a few years in the free zone of Sonora. This started a few years ago.

And there have been reports of RVs, travel trailers recently being required to get a TIP at certain border crossings into Baja.

All of which contradicts what I just published earlier.............

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88038