BajaNomad

New guy here with a recommendation

tmtuttle - 10-23-2017 at 11:21 AM

First off, thanks for all the great information and advice. This site is great and the breadth of knowledge is amazing. However! The use of acronyms and jargon trips some of us up. Stuff like: FMM, TIP, GN, TMC, SAT Office, MH, etc.

I'll be reading a very informative thread and then an acronym will pop up with no explanation of what it stands for. And I know it trips others up because they have to respond asking, "TIP?".

I guess I'd advise, if the question is a very basic or the OP (original poster) seems to be a Baja novice, maybe take a few extra seconds and type out the word for the first time, maybe even with a little explanation. Then the OP will have an idea of what you're talking about.

Not complaining, just trying to make things better.

tyvm,

BC

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by tmtuttle]

ehall - 10-23-2017 at 11:33 AM

Maybe we need a page with all the acronyms and abbreviations commonly used. Make it a sticky and pin it to the top.

David K - 10-23-2017 at 11:34 AM

Great point... Pilots who post here often talk in code, as well!
FMM is a Mexican form similar to a visa, and the words are Spanish. TIP is Temp. Import Permit... not needed for most in Baja or NW (northwest) Sonora.
If you see the (terrible) acronym BOLA it is short for Bay of Los Angeles or L.A. Bay.
Welcome to Nomad.

John Harper - 10-23-2017 at 01:35 PM

WTF?

ITEOTWAWKI!

JH

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by John Harper]

sancho - 10-23-2017 at 01:49 PM

There are some references here that some novices would not
pick up on, but surely would not take too much reading to master, it may take brief research, or reading between the
lines. Before the internet, like '80's, there was less than scant
info on Baja, literally 3 items of note, AAA Baja map, AAA travel
guide, perhaps Baja Book 3 by T. Miller. So it is more than
easy now getting info, even if one has to guess at BOLA

David K - 10-23-2017 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
There are some references here that some novices would not
pick up on, but surely would not take too much reading to master, it may take brief research or reading between the
lines. Before the internet, like '80's, there was less than scant
info on Baja, literally 3 items of note, AAA Baja map, AAA travel
guide, perhaps Baja Book 3 by T. Miller. So it is more than
easy now getting info, even if one has to guess at BOLA

Yes, and other books of the 90s and early 2000s. You could include: 'The Magnificent Peninsula' by Jack Williams and 'The Baja Adventure Guide' by Walt Peterson.

If anyone would like a copy of The Baja Book III by Tom Miller, there are still some uncirculated/ new copies available at www.oldmissions.com (scroll to the bottom to find).

DavidT - 10-23-2017 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tmtuttle  

tyvm,

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by tmtuttle]

Thank you very much,

FTFY

:biggrin:

BajaNomad - 10-23-2017 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Maybe we need a page with all the acronyms and abbreviations commonly used. Make it a sticky and pin it to the top.

There's a better solution to address this, and I've been delayed in implementing it. I will be working on doing so along with the necessary platform change that is forthcoming (but not imminent).

fyi

JZ - 10-23-2017 at 06:01 PM

Tldr

BajaBlanca - 10-23-2017 at 06:49 PM

Great point! I had to always ask when I didn't understand LOL Makes it interesting IMO

surabi - 10-23-2017 at 08:56 PM

Yes, I agree with OP, altho I am a long time resident and understand most of the abbreviations.

There is also the problem of posters who THINK they know what they are talking about using terms like "Fedi", when they are referring to a bank trust for their property, which in Spanish is a fideicomiso, so "Fedi" is not even a shortening of the word, just gringo ignorance.

JZ - 10-23-2017 at 11:31 PM

Op, learn how to internet.

I'm on a huge college football board much more than here. Every week or so a term will come up that I haven't heard of.

Guess what I do? Google it. There are a ton of sites dedicated to "what does "xyz" mean.

Now you know how to fish and don't need to be handed a fish...

Hook - 10-24-2017 at 06:19 AM

Four little, efficient letters are "terrible"?

Who knew!

billklaser - 10-24-2017 at 02:21 PM

Don't confuse BOLA with BOLO. Puts on a whole new meaning.

AKgringo - 10-24-2017 at 08:08 PM

Be On Look Out; police jargon.

Barry A. - 10-24-2017 at 08:31 PM

-------and then there are folks like me that can never remember what they mean---------

AKgringo - 10-24-2017 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
-------and then there are folks like me that can never remember what they mean---------

The acronym for that is CRS (Can't Remember Sh@t)

I have it too!