BajaNomad

Latest Valle de Guadalupe Dining Favorites

elgatoloco - 10-25-2017 at 12:49 PM

Heading down soon for a day of wine and food. We know Laja, Malva, Deckmans, Finca, Corazon. We have plans for breakfast at Dona and tasting at Lechuza so far. Any recommendations for something new(er)(ish) on the food and wine. Can't miss?

Food

bajaguy - 10-25-2017 at 01:59 PM

La Esperanza. Just off highway 3 at the entrance to LA Cetto

https://www.facebook.com/laesperanzabajamed/

[Edited on 10-25-2017 by bajaguy]

BajaBlanca - 10-25-2017 at 02:39 PM

Could you please give me the directions to Dona? We tried to find it once and got totally lost! The one and only time I went, I was a passenger and obviously didn't pay enough attention.

Thanks.

David K - 10-25-2017 at 03:16 PM

About a mile north of the Guadalupe (Francisco Zarco) town entrance (Pemex station)... go east of Hwy. 3. (L.A. Cetto winery signed entrance).

willardguy - 10-25-2017 at 03:31 PM

magana's for caguamas ;)

Wine

bajaguy - 10-25-2017 at 03:35 PM

Malagon and Vina de Frannes

Corre Camino for lunch/breakfast

thebajarunner - 10-25-2017 at 03:59 PM

No wine or beer,
and no dinners either, I think they close at 5 p.m

Sure is great for breakfast and lunch.

Across the street, up on the hill is Mustafa
They have wine and beer and good food.
Good looking wait staff too, last time I was there.

And then there is Laja
Bring plenty of money,
expect gourmet food and excellent treatment.

SDClark5 - 10-25-2017 at 04:21 PM

Traslomita - Lovely setting. The chef Sheila Alvarado is a rising star.
Fauna - Bruma's restaurant is new and has ambitions to be in the class of Corazon de Tierra and Laja (I have not eaten there yet, but have heard good reports.
El Pinar de Tres Mujeres - Nice outdoor campestre, and Ismene Venegas is one of my favorite chefs.
Animalón - I believe Javier Plascencia is still doing his pop-up

SDClark5 - 10-25-2017 at 04:26 PM

This site might be useful: thevalledeguadalupe.blogspot.com

villafontana - 10-25-2017 at 07:20 PM

If you guys need a private driver to Valle, check out this FB page:
www.facebook.com/tjtouristguide
Very reliable driver.

Bajaboy - 10-25-2017 at 10:18 PM

Seeing a few more cervezerias in the valle...might have to slow down next time through.

Santiago - 10-26-2017 at 04:40 AM

'Permanent' food truck at Guadalupe Hotel, perfect lunch spot.

Santiago - 10-26-2017 at 04:43 AM

BG: does Lechuza allow walk up tasting or is it still call-ahead?

bajaguy - 10-26-2017 at 06:26 AM

As far as I know it's still call ahead. We have been spending more time (and $$) at Vina de Frannes and Malagon

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
BG: does Lechuza allow walk up tasting or is it still call-ahead?

[Edited on 10-26-2017 by bajaguy]

Udo - 10-26-2017 at 08:08 AM

One of the newest restaurants and has superb food.

Follow the BAUMA signs near the entrance to L A CETO. Drive to the restaurant called FAUNA.

A little pricey, but just ate there and the food was fabulous!

Sr.vienes - 10-26-2017 at 05:07 PM

The hot dog cart at the intersection of hwy3 and principal under the big tree, best bacon Baja dogs in the world. Quick service and a friendly staff of one.

David K - 10-26-2017 at 06:08 PM

What's the latest from Mustafa's?
I love lamb!

bajaguy - 10-26-2017 at 06:12 PM

Try La Esperanza.........

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I love lamb!

elgatoloco - 10-27-2017 at 12:15 AM

Thanks for all the ideas!

Bajaguy - La Esperanza sounds good. We will see if we can get in. We had a great time at Frannes last time down. Good eats and wine. Malagon is on list this time - Miña de Penelope is run by a Malagon family member.

Blanca - we followed the signs last time to get there but did not want to wait 2 hours to eat. Heading there early this time. I will try to take notes. Here it is on a map https://tinyurl.com/La-Cocina-Do-a :dudette:

Willard - maganas has it all, don't they :D

Runner - Corre - had great breakfast there - no fireworks included. :lol:
We have enjoyed the food and hospitailty at Laja many times. Last time thru still worthy but not the same without Jair and Laura around

SD5 - Traslomita - this is now also on the short list for dinner. We tasted wine at 3 Mujeres and saw the 'dining room' in action. Looked and smelled tasty. We will make it there someday. I did send a note to Javier P asking if we could dine under his 100 year old oak tree. We shall see. Shade will be nice. Its supposed to be mid-90's during the day.

Bajaboy - so much beer so little time. need to find some gluten free varietals for the wifey. :o you and I should do an 'exploratory' trip soon. :cool:

Santago - that is not your fathers lunch truck. Its practically on the way to Frannes so that could happen.

Udo - Fauna must be good. Can't get in. Will head back later in the fall. On a Friday maybe :yes:

Sr.v - Just southeast of that cart on the north side of 3 is the quail lady who now also serves rabbit. We usually end up at her roadside table for a bite between tastings but I will plan ahead and save room for a dog wrapped in pork too. ;D

Some folks just never forget!!!

thebajarunner - 10-27-2017 at 02:47 PM

Runner - Corre - had great breakfast there - no fireworks included. :lol:
We have enjoyed the food and hospitailty at Laja many times. Last time thru still worthy but not the same without Jair and Laura around

Years ago, I launched one rather large rocket in the direction of the "Gato Campo" at La Gringa and he still has not forgiven me.
Hey, if we were serious we would have dropped it right into your beer cooler:lol::lol:

Udo - 10-27-2017 at 03:05 PM

My personal favorite (as well as many others) is the lamb at Deckman's, which is next door to Mogor Badan. But beware of the prices...they are at the high end, $$$$.

BTW, the best lamb in Baja is still at our house in Punta Banda (i use New Zealand lamb), or Drew Deckman's freshly slaughtered lamb. I have to give them a week's notice when I order it.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I love lamb!

David K - 10-27-2017 at 03:59 PM

Thanks Udo.
I am surprised others have not commented on this place that once was a big hit.

Udo - 10-28-2017 at 08:24 AM

It still is a big hit with newcomers. By US standards, their prices are on par with some nice restaurants.

$180.00 USD is OK for a nice restaurant in the USA. Deckman's does have some very outstanding food, but most of us in the Ensenada area, would not be able to eat there regularly.

The atmosphere is old barn-like decor. The kitchen is 100% outdoors and all food is cooked over open coals. Wines are superb. Great place to take a date to impress.

The restaurant is only a very short drive on a dirt road, off the main paved Tecate-Ensenada road.

BTW...the Tecate-Ensenada road (Mex3) is now a dream drive. Very wide pavement, no pot holes, scenic drive. The rest of Baja needs a road like this one.

David K - 10-28-2017 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

BTW...the Tecate-Ensenada road (Mex3) is now a dream drive. Very wide pavement, no pot holes, scenic drive. The rest of Baja needs a road like this one.

The entire Mexicali-San Felipe highway is now this standard of road, with paved shoulders as well as the Puertecitos south paved highway. Maneadero south to just past Santo Tomás is the wider, new style... then the old for the mountain climb... then back on the new to San Vicente and on towards Colonet. There are sections of the new, wider style around El Rosario and again south of Nuevo Rosarito for about 20 kilometers towards Guerrero Negro. Slowly but surely, the new roads are being built... lives will be saved... and bike riders can stay out of traffic lanes with the paved shoulders!