BajaNomad

Family Coming For Fresh Loster Meal, Any Recommendations?

GypsyJan - 10-29-2017 at 06:40 PM

In Rosarito, preferably.

David K - 10-29-2017 at 06:47 PM

Lobster?
Puerto Nuevo. Many places.
However, they should have them in Rosarito. There used to be an Ortega's Restaurant in Rosarito...?

BajaBlanca - 10-29-2017 at 07:06 PM

Come down to La Bocana

:biggrin:

Wish I could help more.

gsbotanico - 10-30-2017 at 06:47 PM

Probably best to go to Puerto Nuevo and a restaurant like La Casa de la Langosta if you're looking for a more upscale place.

There is Restaurant de Langosta la Guerita in Rosarito. Google this to see what it looks like.

I haven't had lobster in the Rosarito area recently, except in Popotla, which is more downscale.

willardguy - 10-30-2017 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
Probably best to go to Puerto Nuevo and a restaurant like La Casa de la Langosta if you're looking for a more upscale place.

There is Restaurant de Langosta la Guerita in Rosarito. Google this to see what it looks like.

I haven't had lobster in the Rosarito area recently, except in Popotla, which is more downscale.

I would choose Vince's over Blondies

Thank You for Your Input

GypsyJan - 10-30-2017 at 07:11 PM

Someone was strongly recommending Sandra's in Puerto Nuevo.

I have never been there, any comments?

http://www.sandraspuertonuevo.com.mx/

Udo - 10-31-2017 at 08:26 AM

I am fairly sure that this information is common knowledge. But there are only two families that own all the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo.

That is the reason lobsters and trimmings seem to taste the same no matter where you go. :bounce:

My personal favorite is Villa Ortega's because I like to sit on the outside deck and watch the waves break about 20' below me. (Villa Ortega's is the restaurant with the large prop and a shark at the entrance, and is the only one that actually owns a parking lot for their guests).

gsbotanico - 10-31-2017 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I am fairly sure that this information is common knowledge. But there are only two families that own all the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo.

I didn't know this and never heard it. I was aware that there were connected family running different restaurants. I remember the old days when Puerto Nuevo didn't formally exist and a few humble places were selling cheap lobster tacos.

It's certainly true that the Puerto Nuevo style of cooking has produced a sameness in the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo. It's been phenomenally successful and been imitated everywhere, even in the US. There's a street hustle for customers that rivals what Avenida Revolución used to be like before the drug violence in Tijuana.

I've eaten at a number of different restaurants there over the years. I'm hard pressed to recommend any one over another for the first time visitor. Pick one out by the atmosphere. And if it passes the smell test, give it a try.

BajaGeoff - 10-31-2017 at 10:56 AM

I have eaten at Sandra's a couple times. The food is very good and I would definitely recommend it!

mtgoat666 - 10-31-2017 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

It's certainly true that the Puerto Nuevo style of cooking has produced a sameness in the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo.

Lobster often tastes the same no matter who cooks it. In the typical fashion, can only vary the taste with sauces. And really can't complain about butter, garlic -- goes great with most any crustacean.
It's super easy to cook at home, so enjoy it at home and skip the crowds and over-priced same-old-same-old.

After vistiting puerto nuevo, I assumed that "Ortega" was local word for "lobster" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

El Rosario is kind of a tourist trap, I avoid it.

woody with a view - 10-31-2017 at 11:07 AM

I dont see what others like about burnt greasy lobster. Boiled and finished in the broiler for me!

tiotomasbcs - 10-31-2017 at 01:33 PM

Halatosis in Ensenada...lot's of excelent platillos..

BajaTed - 11-1-2017 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  

A restaurant named after Bad Breath, only in Baja:lol::lol::lol:

BajaTed - 11-1-2017 at 08:04 PM

Ensenada fish market, stall is on on the east side, sold from a bucket on the ground you point at. (Shhhh)

Puerto Nuevo - 1956 is a dual kitchen restaurant, the southern one is more formal, their smoked marlin is GOOD. Same waiters there for over twenty years, they treat you like a Patron, Try the Mexican coffee for desert, they prepare it old school style

KurtG - 11-1-2017 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

Haliotis. Means Abalone.

GypsyJan - 11-3-2017 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
I dont see what others like about burnt greasy lobster. Boiled and finished in the broiler for me!

I agree, I always order "al vapor", or in English, "steamed".

GypsyJan - 11-3-2017 at 07:42 PM

Ensenada fish market, stall is on on the east side, sold from a bucket on the ground you point at. (Shhhh)

Puerto Nuevo - 1956 is a dual kitchen restaurant, the southern one is more formal, their smoked marlin is GOOD. Same waiters there for over twenty years, they treat you like a Patron, Try the Mexican coffee for desert, they prepare it old school style

Just to be clear, are you recommending Puerto Nuevo I or Puerto Nuevo II restaurant?

Bubba - 11-4-2017 at 07:10 AM

With plenty of drawn butter.

mtgoat666 - 11-4-2017 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

With plenty of drawn butter.

Butter. Because they really aren’t very good on their own!

There are better shellfish that don’t require sauces, condiments to taste good. For example, Dungeness crab, blue crab,...
The baja lobster are just so-so.
There are better foods out there, so don’t settle for dry baja lobster that requires butter to choke it down!

willardguy - 11-4-2017 at 09:11 AM

the pioneers of puerto nuevo have always eaten their lobster with mayonnaise rather than butter, not surprising, to me anyway mexican butter is plain awful!

woody with a view - 11-4-2017 at 11:33 AM

That same mayo that sits out on the table for 3 months until it’s empty?
No thanks!

Hook - 11-4-2017 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
the pioneers of puerto nuevo have always eaten their lobster with mayonnaise rather than butter, not surprising, to me anyway mexican butter is plain awful!

I was watching a Rick Bayless episode recently (whose cooking I do admire) and he raved about Mexican butter being so earthy or some such term. I was shocked. Mexican butter is awful. So much of it is mixed with oil, but even those that claim they aren't, leave a very strange film in the mouth.

Maybe the most "smuggled" item by gringos, to our town, is butter from the US or Canada. Lots of smuggled Costco butter.

The closest Costco to San CArlos Sonora does carry Costco butter...............but ONLY unsalted. Very strange, in a country that loves salty items.

AKgringo - 11-4-2017 at 12:59 PM

A couple of lines from a song I learned as a kid;
.....where the sopa is not soap,
the ropa is not rope,
and the butter is 'meant ta kill ya'!

blackwolfmt - 11-4-2017 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

I was watching a Rick Bayless episode recently (whose cooking I do admire) and he raved about Mexican butter being so earthy or some such term. I was shocked. Mexican butter is awful. So much of it is mixed with oil, but even those that claim they aren't, leave a very strange film in the mouth.

Maybe the most "smuggled" item by gringos, to our town, is butter from the US or Canada. Lots of smuggled Costco butter.

The closest Costco to San CArlos Sonora does carry Costco butter...............but ONLY unsalted. Very strange, in a country that loves salty items.

is this GOAT milk butter you speak of, if so I agree totally nasty

willardguy - 11-4-2017 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

is this GOAT milk butter you speak of, if so I agree totally nasty

no this is the chit that comes from cows.....Jersey for instance tastes nothing like butter....Calimax must have got the memo and now stocks challenge and darigold!:yes:

Don't Want to Get Into a Somethig Match

GypsyJan - 11-5-2017 at 07:37 PM

Yes, Baja dairy butters have a high level of moisture that makes them hard to use in baking. Lala, etc.

But both Walmart and Soriana in Rosarito also have high quality imported European butters in the refrigerated cases, it you are willing to pay a little bit more. Low moisture, good taste.

Udo - 11-6-2017 at 10:11 AM

They also sell some great locally made tequila with the SANDRA'S label on it. You have to ask for it from the bartender.:bounce:

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
I have eaten at Sandra's a couple times. The food is very good and I would definitely recommend it!

Udo - 11-6-2017 at 10:15 AM

I could not find "HALIOTIS" in the Mexican dictionary. So what does "ABULON" mean then?

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

Haliotis. Means Abalone.

BornFisher - 11-6-2017 at 10:53 AM

Try scientific name.