BajaNomad

Getting a TIP for a boat at the border

Aerodriver - 10-30-2017 at 06:49 AM

I am taking a boat down to Baja by water from San Diego this week. I want to skip Ensenada and clear by water down in Cabo instead, and do the FMM Visa paperwork online and get a TIP in person. My question is, can anyone tell me where to go exactly to find the people that can do this at the Otay Mesa crossing? I have tried to look this up but I can’t find a reliable address or instruction on where to go and who to talk to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank tou

BajaTed - 11-1-2017 at 07:45 PM

Check the Lattitude 38 website

TIP at border

3464james - 11-2-2017 at 09:28 AM

In July I was confronted by the same question. I go through Mexicali and queried this board about the TIP process, to no avail. Therefore upon crossing, at Mexicali, I asked the nice agent at the border about obtaining a TIP for my boat and he referred me to another young man standing beside him. He asked me how long I was staying and I told him 5 days. He said I didn't need one but if I wanted one he would issue me one. He examined my boat registration and VIN, referred me inside to the same place that the FMM was issued. The agent inside stated that I didn't need a TIP but he would issue if I just wanted one. I really didn't want one but did want to be legal in his country. He laughed.

Therefore, at Mexicali, you can obtain the TIP at the same time you receive your FMM, same office different people.

Aerodriver - 11-2-2017 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info guys. So I went to Otay Mesa and walked across the border to the Vehicle Import office that is about a 20 minute walk from the border. I was able to get it. For anyone else with the same question, just remember to bring ALL ownership documents, registration info, and copies of all. I forgot copies but I was able to make copies next door of everything I had for 5 pesos. Took about 20-30 minutes at the office.

John Harper - 11-2-2017 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Aerodriver  
Thanks for the info guys. So I went to Otay Mesa and walked across the border to the Vehicle Import office that is about a 20 minute walk from the border. I was able to get it. For anyone else with the same question, just remember to bring ALL ownership documents, registration info, and copies of all. I forgot copies but I was able to make copies next door of everything I had for 5 pesos. Took about 20-30 minutes at the office.

They did not need to look at your boat to check the numbers? You gotta love Mexico.

John

MulegeAL - 12-6-2017 at 02:27 PM

Looking to do similar one-stop for FMM and boat TIP at San Ysidro crossing with a trailered sailboat. Seems doable. Large area to park and turn the trailer at the west end, before turning south into the gates.

Thinking we will then have to go to the eastern most entry gate to get lined up for the X-Ray machine, does that sound right?

woody with a view - 12-6-2017 at 02:48 PM

Yeah but when i tried that at 430am in a truck they came running over from the secondary area all bug eyed. I told them i wanted a visa and they made me drive thru and be inspected first then go over to get the visa. Xray was in-op that day. Good luck!

BajaParrothead - 1-25-2019 at 11:27 AM

Is it possible to get the TIP in Tecate when I get the FMMs?

Pacifico - 1-25-2019 at 05:28 PM

If I remember right, I did my TIP online and paid online as well. A lot like a mex fishing license. It's been awhile so I forget the details...

BajaParrothead - 1-26-2019 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
If I remember right, I did my TIP online and paid online as well. A lot like a mex fishing license. It's been awhile so I forget the details...

Thank you Pacifico,I'll look into it.

55steve - 1-26-2019 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Yeah, I did the same and also like you I don't remember the details...

Bob and Susan - 1-27-2019 at 08:00 AM

apply and pay here
takes about 2 weeks
good for 10 years

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/