How bout them Dodgers

thebajarunner - 10-30-2017 at 05:37 PM

Any Dodger fans left in Baja???

My two favorite teams are

1. The Giants
2. Whoever is playing against LA

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

DanO - 10-30-2017 at 05:54 PM

Giants? Nice record this year. Anyway, count me and many other Doyer fans as still standing. Go Blue.

elgatoloco - 10-30-2017 at 06:08 PM

What a roller coaster. It's not over yet! It certainly has been an entertaining series.

I took the wife to game 2. Her first world series (my first since 1988) and her first trip to Chavez Ravine.

No matter how it ends one thing we all know for sure. Giants SUCK! :lol:

thebajarunner - 10-30-2017 at 06:23 PM

Giants= 3 World Series in 5 years

Dodgers= Zip/zero/zilch in 25 years.

Do the math....

Careful catman, the rockets are incoming!!

Bajaboy - 10-30-2017 at 06:34 PM

Dodgers have won the division last five years in a row. Giants get lucky in post season...put an asterisk next to that WS trophy.

Have the Dodgers ever lost 98 games in a season? How do you lose 98 games? Ouch!

thebajarunner - 10-30-2017 at 06:41 PM

Guess you Bum fans can't do math

Second place (division champ) is first loser.

Asterisks?????
Are you kidding?

3 World Series banners since 2010- not an asterisk in sight.

Check the flags on the walls at the SF ballpark.

Hook - 10-30-2017 at 06:51 PM

Go 'stros!!!

Luv the little man, Altuve. Gurriel is a monster at the plate.

elgatoloco - 10-30-2017 at 06:58 PM

Its 2017. Giants have been on vacation for a month and Dodgers still playing. :lol:

Go Blue. :saint:

BornFisher - 10-30-2017 at 07:18 PM

"Just when I thought I could describe Game 2 as my favorite game of all time, I think Game 5 exceeded that and more," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said.

LA is my home town. Became a Dodger fan in 1959. Been rooting against them since 1969, because I`m living in San Diego now.
Last night the tension started around pitch number 6 or so. Then lasted over 5 hours. 2 classic games that everyone who has ever picked up a bat or slept with a glove will remember. This game wasn`t David against Goliath. This was Godzilla vs King Kong! These are amazing teams who battle for every out and are never done.
Now, let`s start singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" haha!!

Mula - 10-30-2017 at 07:24 PM

Way back when . . . I sold "novelties, souvenirs and other necessities of Life" on the Reserve level first base location of Dodger Stadium at for the Fernando Valenzuela days (3 seasons) and through the series with the Metros way back when.

I had just spent 10 years living in Mazatlán.
Love Baseball.

Quit watching football over the protests.

What a hoot!

This is great game playing!

shari - 10-31-2017 at 09:20 AM

All of Bahia Asuncion are Dodger fans as a couple of our local baseball players have been drafted by them. Baseball is HUGE in our area and very competitive....our stadium even has AstroTurf and lights!!!
GO DODGERS!

Go Blue!

Howard - 10-31-2017 at 10:12 AM

Being a Dodger fan from youth, I remember going to the Coliseum and watching Wally Moon hit his moon shots over the "Chinese Screen" (Now politically incorrect) in left field. My father even took me to the Yankee-Dodger benefit game to honor Roy Campenella where I and over 90,000 fans went crazy.

With Vinny, Sandy, Duke and the boys, how can you go wrong?

Being a true fan of baseball I hope they don't show Kate Upton (Justin Verlander, the Houston pitchers girlfriend) more than say, 20 times. :biggrin:

willardguy - 10-31-2017 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Being a Dodger fan from youth, I remember going to the Coliseum and watching Wally Moon hit his moon shots over the "Chinese Screen" (Now politically incorrect) in left field. My father even took me to the Yankee-Dodger benefit game to honor Roy Campenella where I and over 90,000 fans went crazy.

Being a true fan of baseball I hope they don't show Kate Upton (Justin Verlander, the Houston pitchers girlfriend) more than say, 20 times. :biggrin:

:lol: I agree....I could give a ratzazz about baseball but im a huge Kate Upton fan!:O

TMW - 10-31-2017 at 09:16 PM

Dodgers won tonight 3-1 game 7 is next.

bajabuddha - 10-31-2017 at 10:48 PM

Now as a Nuevo Mexicano and a neighbor of Texas, all I can say is.....

GO BLUE ! ! ! ! :spingrin:

ehall - 11-1-2017 at 06:42 AM

great game.

vandenberg - 11-1-2017 at 08:29 AM

Watched games 5 and 6 in their entirety. A first in a long time for me, normally I'm bored to tears after a few innings.
Both teams deserve to win

ncampion - 11-1-2017 at 09:41 AM

Also a long time Dodger fan. I was just a kid when they moved here from Brooklyn and my dad kept me and my brother out of school so we could be there for the first game played in the Coliseum. In my family you didn't miss school unless you were near to death(and my father was a doctor so no faking it). I remember the "Wally Wall" well.

Skipjack Joe - 11-1-2017 at 03:18 PM

How bout em Dodgers

How about them Dodgers??

thebajarunner - 11-1-2017 at 08:59 PM

NOT!!

bajabuddha - 11-1-2017 at 09:10 PM

In spite of former statements, and for once a thankful divergence of recent headlines, CONGRADULATIONS HOUSTON! Not being a bezbol fan muchly, this has been one helluva series. Shows to not take the World Serious... this has been glorious entertainment without distractions. Finally. All well-earned, all well-played, other than one faux pas from one faux-hero... until next year.

DanO - 11-1-2017 at 09:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
NOT!!

The Stros played a great game. Your hate is funny, like a true story I can tell. My family went up to SF in the early summer to meet my son who's in college up there (BTW, I have family all over the state, including in the City). We got tickets to a Dodgers/Giants game. My wife and one of my sons wore their Dodger caps. We were hoping to have fun, and we loved the park, which is beautiful, and the food is amazing. But it sucked because we were heckled and abused the entire game. Which the Dodgers won. Stay classy, burrohat.

woody with a view - 11-2-2017 at 06:11 AM

LAme!

Hook - 11-2-2017 at 07:09 AM

Altogether an entertaining Series.

I am more of a baseball fan, than a fan of any organization. This was great baseball.

Dodgers hit in some tough luck last night. They had their chances to come back. Just didnt happen.

Baseball now has a few organizations that have developed several good young players from within their organizations (as opposed to signing expensive free agents); augmented by a good trade or two. This means they will be good for the next few years. I would count the Dodgers, the Astros, the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cubs and Cleveland in this camp.

Atlanta is probably poised to enter this group, with a trade or two. They have drafted well and have traded for a lot of good, young players.

More baseball than anyone on Nomads wants to know, I suppose........

ncampion - 11-2-2017 at 08:31 AM

Dodgers just didn't bring their "A" game last night. Oh well, good for Huston. Very entertaining series, good to be a baseball fan as opposed to the other spoiled brat professional sports teams.

BajaTed - 11-2-2017 at 09:56 AM

105 days till report for spring training.

bajagrouper - 11-2-2017 at 10:09 AM

Yea, How bout them Dodgers.......LOL, jajajajajajajajajaj

Congrats to Houston

Howard - 11-2-2017 at 10:12 AM

Two teams that were the cream of the crop and very even in talent and heart.

To me the HUGE difference was in the managing and coaching, with the big advantage to Houston.

Am I one of the few who thinks Roberts almost single handedly could of lost the series? Very poor management of his players. IMO.

"Wait till next year!"

Bubba - 11-2-2017 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
NOT!!

The Stros played a great game. Your hate is funny, like a true story I can tell. My family went up to SF in the early summer to meet my son who's in college up there (BTW, I have family all over the state, including in the City). We got tickets to a Dodgers/Giants game. My wife and one of my sons wore their Dodger caps. We were hoping to have fun, and we loved the park, which is beautiful, and the food is amazing. But it sucked because we were heckled and abused the entire game. Which the Dodgers won. Stay classy, burrohat.

I've had the same experience and not only Giants fans but Raider fans as well.

Great series, congratulations Houston, you earned it.

talent

willardguy - 11-2-2017 at 10:25 AM

Two teams that were the cream of the crop and very even in talent and heart.

To me the HUGE difference was in the managing and coaching, with the big advantage to Houston.

Am I one of the few who thinks Roberts almost single handedly could of lost the series? Very poor management of his players. IMO.

"Wait till next year!"

Kate looked great!:spingrin:

mtgoat666 - 11-2-2017 at 11:40 AM

Now the beardos can go on vacation and shave those nasty beards!

bajagrouper - 11-2-2017 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
NOT!!

I remember when a Giants fan a few years ago was nearly beaten to death in the Dodgers parking lot after a game, the word fan is derived from the word fanatics ........

Howard - 11-2-2017 at 02:58 PM

Willard, Kate was looking delicious, wish there was an 8th game for my viewing pleasure. :biggrin:

Now back to baseball......

Bubba - 11-2-2017 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
NOT!!

I remember when a Giants fan a few years ago was nearly beaten to death in the Dodgers parking lot after a game, the word fan is derived from the word fanatics ........

I remember that... Fanatics, makes sense.

Difficult to Watch TV

MrBillM - 11-2-2017 at 04:19 PM

Having broken my usual abstinence from watching baseball (or ANY sport) LIVE due to the over-abundance of irritating commercials, I found that despite paying DISH $168.35 per month there wasn't a decent movie to set the remote recall to for the commercial breaks.

SO ................. I stuck a DVD in the player (first The Cruel Sea - later L.A. Confidential) and switched back and forth from TV to DVD.

Still, frustrated that I would consistently underestimate the LONG commercial interval.

Even more frustrating was that the hapless Dodgers were not blown out MORE so that time wouldn't be wasted hanging around through the 7th waiting for a possible comeback.

It's hard to believe that viewers sit through ALL of those commercials. THAT takes a real fanatic.

Hook - 11-2-2017 at 04:47 PM

Fox introduced a new type of commercial that I have never seen, during a baseball game. They would squeeze the game into a small box on the screen, display the text and logo of a business and had a voice-over plug it. It was all of five seconds........but there were more than a few of them.

willardguy - 11-2-2017 at 04:56 PM

I did notice both Modelo and Pacifico had spots....DILLY DILLY!

Sign of the times

Howard - 11-2-2017 at 05:02 PM

I was at the Dodger-Cub game when Justin Turner hit the home run in the bottom of the ninth and noticed the following.

After every 1/2 of an inning, a countdown clock started in center field and behind home plate and the game could not start until the clock got to zero. The time varied but I think the average was 3-5 minutes. It wasn't a matter if the pitcher was ready, he had to wait until the clock got to zero.
Guess someone has to pay for those salaries.

For Howard

John M - 11-2-2017 at 07:34 PM

Hey Howard - my dad and I were in the coliseum Roy Campanella night as well - I have a program and some other doodad from that night here somewhere!

Before that it was the Los Angeles Angels at the ivy covered walls of Wrigley Field with Steve Bilko and Gene Mauch and, and....

John M

thebajarunner - 11-2-2017 at 09:02 PM

The Giants fan that was assaulted after a game at Dodger Stadium was Brian Stowe. He was not killed, but close. They bring him to an occasional Giants game in his wheelchair.
I have not seen such bad behavior at Giants games as described but quit going to Niner games because it got so ugly.
And, my son is an Alameda County deputy sheriff and he sometimes drives "The Bus" that they park under the Coliseum to haul off the drunks from Raider games. 55 to the bus and sometimes there are half dozen buses.
Vegas, you are welcome to these hoodlums disguised as fans.
My 65 year old cousin with two knee replacements got knocked on his burro at California Speedway last year by a young dude after the dude had grabbed my cousin's daughter by the bottom and my cousin protested.
Makes going to any event an adventure, and not a fun one at that.

Getting Worse, BUT ..................

MrBillM - 11-3-2017 at 11:24 AM

It's been going on for a LONG while.

Back in '95 at Jack Murphy for a Padres game, my wife asked WHY (early in the game) that the players for both sides were simply standing around and waiting.

"TV Commercial".

Another upside to giving up on attending MLB games in favor of Class A.

No TV.

Paco Facullo - 11-3-2017 at 11:56 AM

Answer to the vary annoying commercials is a DVR....

I skip through them like they were water.. LOVE IT !!!!

elgatoloco - 11-3-2017 at 12:07 PM

GO RAMS! :saint:

Skipjack Joe - 11-3-2017 at 12:15 PM

I didn't watch the whole series but there will be a lot of second guessing about using that starting pitcher for the 7th game. He essentially lost the game for them. The reason given for the start was that he was the most rested. That is really bad coaching. The ONLY reason the Giants won there last world series is because Bumgarner pitched and won 3 games. Bochy is a great coach. A good coach will win at least one game in a series just with his decisions.

Bruce Bochy is the manager

thebajarunner - 11-3-2017 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I didn't watch the whole series but there will be a lot of second guessing about using that starting pitcher for the 7th game. He essentially lost the game for them. The reason given for the start was that he was the most rested. That is really bad coaching. The ONLY reason the Giants won there last world series is because Bumgarner pitched and won 3 games. Bochy is a great coach. A good coach will win at least one game in a series just with his decisions.

Bochy is the manager,
Dave Righetti was the pitching coach.
I can assure you that it was Righetti's idea, implemented by a great manager.
The word around is that Darvish was so well scouted and known by these guys that they could read his pitches by the way he made his grip.
So, they knew when it was released whether it was fast ball or breaking pitch
Some pretty interesting video on line if you are interested.

sancho - 11-3-2017 at 02:35 PM

Not to get too mushy, but the New Orleans Saints won after
Katrina, Houston won after Harvey

willardguy - 11-3-2017 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Weinstein?

bajabuddha - 11-3-2017 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

6 foot invisible rabbit? :rolleyes:

Skipjack Joe - 11-4-2017 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Bochy is the manager,
Dave Righetti was the pitching coach.
I can assure you that it was Righetti's idea, implemented by a great manager.
The word around is that Darvish was so well scouted and known by these guys that they could read his pitches by the way he made his grip.
So, they knew when it was released whether it was fast ball or breaking pitch
Some pretty interesting video on line if you are interested.

Darvish should've been yanked after the first inning. It's the 7th game of the world series. There is no tomorrow. How can anyone allow a 5-0 lead in 2 innings. Darvish was bad but the manager let him do the damage. A lot of those pitches were fat ones over the plate.

Hook - 11-4-2017 at 06:33 PM

Well, the Bellinger error in the first inning was HUGE! If he throws out Bregman, the Astros have a runner on third with one out, instead of a run in and a runner on second with no outs. They probably only get one run that inning. You cand blame Darvish for that.

I dont think Darvish was telegraphing pitches as much as, for the second straight start, he had no slider and no good splitter. Just not much movement on his pitches.

Roberts' strategy was probably always to bring in Kershaw with the game close (hopefully, with a lead), after Darvish got them through at least four innings. It didnt happen. The Astros scored quickly in both innings; so quickly that it wasnt possible to bring in Kershaw that quickly. The rest of the bullpen was overtaxed, if you remember. He was forced to use Kershaw just to keep the game close. Probably, the plan was to have Kershaw get them through innings 5-7 or 8, and turn the game over to Jansen. It didnt happen.

And when you think about how terrible the Astros bullpen had been for the entire series, a 5-0 lead after 1.5 innings, with a lineup like the Dodgers, is still not out of hand (usually). I fully expected the Dodgers to make it close, as McCullars didnt look very good, either.

Then, the tough-luck line outs happened to the Dodgers..............

Congratulations to the Astros.

I love how organizations that have not won the World Series in a long time ( or NEVER won it ) have gotten that WS win in the last 10-15 years. The Red Sox, the White Sox, the Cubs, the Astros, the Phillies, etc. Heck, if you go back to 2001, there have been three organizations that have won it for the first time (Astros, Angels, Diamondbacks) and several that have won it for the first time in many years (including the Giants of 2010, and the others mentioned above).

It has now been 17 years since an organization has won back-to-back World Series. Parity is great, for the whole league.

[Edited on 11-5-2017 by Hook]

BornFisher - 11-4-2017 at 08:57 PM

Hook, well said. What was killing me early was McCullers hitting every other Dodger who came to the plate!! And Belinger, that was just bad fundamentals to sling side arm!
Now IMO, this Dodger team is the best Dodger team I`ve ever seen (since 1959). And this WS was even better that last year!!!

Skipjack Joe - 11-5-2017 at 11:53 AM

That's right. This was a good Dodger team. It was a better team than the Astros. It lost because of inferior managements. In fact the Dodgers have been underperforming in the post season for several years now. Every year they're predicted to do better than they end up doing. The Giants have done more with less and the Dodgers have done less with more. Therefore one team has been called lucky and the other unlucky.

You can have all the plans you want with Kershaw before the game but after the first pitch is thrown you react to the situation.