BajaNomad

Bilstein shocks

chuckie - 11-8-2017 at 02:28 PM

If your truck sits for a day or two with the new Bilsteins in freezing weather, you better have your woopee cushion and Preparation H along before you head down any washboard...

[Edited on 1-4-2018 by chuckie]

Tioloco - 11-8-2017 at 03:30 PM

Sure it is the truck and not the driver? Just kidding....

surfhat - 11-8-2017 at 04:18 PM

Who knew shocks needed a heater? That is a new one that I have never heard of before. You are too far north. That is what I have been saying for decades, every time it gets cold, wherever I am. Maybe two small versions of those plug-in engine block heaters could help. Brrrrr. Time to head south.

chuckie - 11-8-2017 at 04:21 PM

Leaving for AZ as soon as I get enough Pheasants shot and all the corn picked..

mikeymarlin - 11-8-2017 at 07:24 PM

well I always fell this way when its cold---- I was afraid it was old age---thanks to Chuckie I now know its my shocks-- maybe new knees will help

chuckie - 11-8-2017 at 09:01 PM

Glad I could help...

chuckie - 1-4-2018 at 04:51 AM

More on Bilsteins...Coming back from Denver on I 70 at about 75 MPH I hit a pothole with the left front wheel...INSTANTLY the truck started to POGO went sideways and I was just along for the ride....All 4 wheels doing it and airborne.....After I collected myself I started down the road and it did it again!!!....I got home but havnt driven over about 55 since....I have contacted the seller and Bilstien but havnt heard anything substantive back yet.....NOT HAPPY....

John Harper - 1-4-2018 at 07:51 AM

Never heard of this behavior, please let us know what your supplier has to say. Sounds like a serious safety issue.

John

chuckie - 1-4-2018 at 08:23 AM

It certainly is....I am reluctant to drive it at all.....

PeregrineA1 - 1-4-2018 at 08:23 AM

Unusual for sure. About 700K on Bilsteins and never had an issue. Including time in places where it gets cold as in near zero F. They do wear out after about 100K....

chuckie - 1-4-2018 at 09:06 AM

These have few miles on them and the truck had been driven over 100 miles, so they should have been warmed up...

ehall - 1-4-2018 at 09:54 AM

Sounds like maybe a tread separating on the tire

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2018 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
It certainly is....I am reluctant to drive it at all.....

Did you modify the truck suspension?
Convert it back to stock/spec suspension. Maybe you got non-spec parts causing your problem.

chuckie - 1-4-2018 at 10:07 AM

No on the tires and No on the suspension mods....

TMW - 1-4-2018 at 10:19 AM

It's a Dodge, what did you expect. They all do it.

Barry A. - 1-4-2018 at 10:20 AM

What's a "POGO"?

David K - 1-4-2018 at 11:47 AM

A toy for hopping! I presume chuckie's shocks didn't control the springs and allowed the truck to bounce?

chuckie - 1-4-2018 at 12:44 PM

DK kinda got it...TMW and Barry A=D-

Barry A. - 1-4-2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
A toy for hopping! I presume chuckie's shocks didn't control the springs and allowed the truck to bounce?

Ah Ha!!! What I know as a "pogo stick"---------i get it now. Thanks, David.

Assume this action is coming from "new" Bilstein's, not the traditional ones like I have had on my rigs for many years with nary a problem. Very strange.

BigBearRider - 1-4-2018 at 05:06 PM

I put Bilsteins on my old ML320. What a difference. They just eat up the Baja dirt roads. I love them. I haven't tried them in the cold, though.

chuckie - 1-14-2018 at 03:11 PM

Just finished the drive from Kansas to my place in AZ....Interstate ride was harsh....No more Bilsteins forChuckie...

blackwolfmt - 1-14-2018 at 05:09 PM

Thanks for the update on the BILSTINKINSTEIN i will stay away far away:coolup:

pacificobob - 1-15-2018 at 05:52 PM

i have 'em of several rigs. seem to be just fine.

chuckie - 1-16-2018 at 02:35 PM

I am still looking for a problem....Lots ofpeople really like them...

surfhat - 1-16-2018 at 02:59 PM

It sounds like there needs to be a temperature rating for whatever fluid they are using. Read the small print. Maybe.

They have a good reputation, but that probably is in milder climes than you have in Kansas. Bilstein might have an answer for you and a recommended alternative fluid for cold, cold country shocks.

I don't recall hearing about any other comparable shocks that have this condition. You are too far north. Whenever I am somewhere in the cold, that is my sentiment. I am too far north. Snowbirds know this. That is why they go to Arizona every winter, or places further south. Thanks to all here.

bajatrailrider - 1-16-2018 at 07:02 PM

When I got my first set Bilstein shocks they looked weak and not made well. I will have to admit the Nissan Diesel never worked better but no cold weather here.

chuckie - 1-17-2018 at 08:26 AM

Harsh ride has persisted in ARIZONA 80 degrees here, that why I am looking for anither issue

mtgoat666 - 1-17-2018 at 08:54 AM

Harsh ride has persisted in ARIZONA 80 degrees here, that why I am looking for anither issue

I doubt it is your shocks, if they are spec for that truck.

Here are some potential causes:

You bought a heavy duty pickup and finally realized they most all Have a harsh ride

You got e-load tires and / or too high air pressure, so are riding on rock hard tires

You are getting old and your back and kidneys can no longer take the abuse, you need the gentle plush ride of a Honda Accord

You got shingles on your tush and even a Honda Accord would cause you pain

You just like to complain

chuckie - 1-17-2018 at 11:07 AM

None and all of the above. WE removed the airbags this morning and problem seems to have gone away...My apologies to Bilstein...if it recurs I shall advise.....Goatley causes a pain in my ass...

JZ - 1-17-2018 at 11:29 AM

Should have done it right and gotten King Shocks. Better luck next time.

John Harper - 1-17-2018 at 02:23 PM

None and all of the above. WE removed the airbags this morning and problem seems to have gone away...My apologies to Bilstein...if it recurs I shall advise.....Goatley causes a pain in my ass...

If you have airbag lifts, not surprised they are harsh. I had airshocks once and they were really harsh.

John

David K - 1-17-2018 at 04:00 PM

Airbags are adjustable (at least all the ones I know of are). I have them on my last two Tacomas because the 3-leaf factory rear springs were too soft. Normal driving, 15 psi. If I load it up, then 20-35 psi. If I drove with the air bags at 20-35 psi and no cargo, I would indeed be bouncing all around, too!

The Ride-Rite Air Springs (bags) have been perfect for solving the bottoming-out or sagging when I had a big Baja camping load in the back of my truck. Just fill or deflate as needed. You can even have them connected to an on-board air pump and adjust from the cab.

Here are some photos when I had them installed on my truck in 2015. These were the same ones I had on my '05 Tacoma and removed them when I traded in that truck. The '10 Tacoma had much better springs, but after 6 years I felt they could use some help.

I also replaced the stock TRD Off Road Bilsteins with 5100 Bilsteins... twice the shock!

msteve1014 - 1-17-2018 at 11:44 PM

I take the valve cores out when I run unloaded. You might try that.

bajatrailrider - 1-18-2018 at 01:12 AM

The air bags I had in the Dodge sucked very harsh ride even with only 10 psi unloaded. I did same trick removed the valve cores then OK. Still the mounting brackets would bottom out before the truck susp. bottomed out.

chuckie - 1-18-2018 at 03:52 PM

I just took em off....problem solved...

whistler - 1-22-2018 at 06:40 PM

All shocks will react the same way in cold weather.
They have oil in them, although the viscosity is very light. Even race shocks need to warmed up before driven hard.
I have Bilstein 7100 on my Dodge. No problem in 14 years.
Changing them because they are old and ugly besides I get a discount for Kings.

bajarider1 - 2-2-2018 at 12:55 PM

I blew the seals out of both Bilsteins on my stock F-350 on the road from Hwy 5 to the fossil beds (about 30 miles). Bilstein (in San Diego) said the "lifetime" warranty does not apply to off-road use. I told them it was a road, but Bilstein defines road as paved. , no more bilsteins! Cheap Monroes and OEM Ford shocks have served me well on the same roads.

TMW - 2-2-2018 at 06:49 PM

Were they 5100 Bilstein shocks. I run the 5100s on both my 04 Tacoma and my 04 GMC Z71. I did replace the rears on the Tacoma last year, one was leaking and was 6 years old.

willardguy - 2-2-2018 at 07:10 PM

T4R 5100's up front Tokico's in the rear, muy bueno:yes:

David K - 2-2-2018 at 07:28 PM

5100s front and rear on my 2010 Tacoma. I also had the rear 5100s on my 2005 Tacoma. Baja proven for me!

woody with a view - 2-3-2018 at 06:12 PM

5100 on middle notch up front to level out the stink bug look. Differential drop to save the CV joints from the new angle as well. Billy HDs on rear. No more front end diving into vados and bottoming out. 7 years no problems.

David K - 2-3-2018 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
5100 on middle notch up front to level out the stink bug look. Differential drop to save the CV joints from the new angle as well. Billy HDs on rear. No more front end diving into vados and bottoming out. 7 years no problems.

The three lift settings over stock are listed as:
1) 0.85"
2) 1.75"
3) 2.50"
Make sure to have an alignment done if you raise the front of your truck.
Mine are at the first lift setting. The rear lift or "stink bug" angle is controlled by the air in my Ride-Rites (airbags).

Hook - 2-3-2018 at 07:43 PM

Chuckie, do you have leafs in front/back or both?

Not surprised it was the air bags. What are you towing these days that you still need the air bags? Do you have a truck camper on the rig?

[Edited on 2-4-2018 by Hook]