BajaNomad

I am Baja pilot(again).

fishbuck - 11-8-2017 at 03:03 PM

So if my deal goes as planned I shall be airborne over Baja soon. I finally have access to some aircraft the have the range and speed to make Baja travel practical.
I won't be able to make longer trips until I retire. But quick weekend trips from the border to San Quintin are now within my grasp.
Let the trip planning begin!

Tioloco - 11-8-2017 at 03:29 PM

That is great! Opens up a lot more territory for a short weekend. Congrats!

David K - 11-8-2017 at 05:22 PM

That is great Mike. Can you drop into Palomar Airport and pick me up? :light::bounce:

Where will you land, Campo Lorenzo or Cielito Lindo?

AKgringo - 11-8-2017 at 07:12 PM

Will that make you 'AirBuck'?

fishbuck - 11-8-2017 at 10:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That is great Mike. Can you drop into Palomar Airport and pick me up? :light::bounce:

Where will you land, Campo Lorenzo or Cielito Lindo?

Yes and yes. No I will go to Pedregal but I will land across the bay if you want and hop over.

fishbuck - 11-8-2017 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Will that make you 'AirBuck'?

That is good. But I am already having new bizcards printed...

Are you ready... "CAPTAIN BAJA"

bonanza bucko - 11-9-2017 at 09:07 AM

Fishbuck:

You are a lucky devil! I'd give my left XXXs to do that again.

We did it about 75% of our weekends for 35 years from San Diego to Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay and then from Sacramento to there.

We started in a 1957 C-182 which hauled a lot of the supplies, beer and friends needed to build our first house there in 1979. Then the trip was in our beloved Bonanza to build the second house.

Here's a video (turn up the sound and go full screen) that I made of the trip. The opening shot shows both our Bonanza and our old C-182 which was taxiing by at Borego. https://vimeo.com/68383565

Baja Bucko .....AKA Bonanza Bucko. :-)

David K - 11-9-2017 at 10:05 AM

Great flying stories!
Flying to Baja is a quick way to begin enjoying the peninsula!
I have had a couple of fun flying trips over Baja:

*I got to fly with Doug Bowles from Alfonsina's to Oceanside, via Calexico back in 1999.
*I flew with Captain Mike over Mulegé and Punta Chivato in 2001.
*In 2014, I flew in Jim McCoy's helicopter from El Cajon to San Vicente then again from Mission San Fernando back to El Cajon, in 2014.

BajaBlanca - 11-9-2017 at 10:13 AM

When we first moved here to La Bocana my wish was for a helicopter! It would have been great to be able to hop over and visit my mom and my sisters in San Diego.

I understand that back in the day La Bocana used to fly co-op members and their families up to Ensenada with the cargo (abalone or lobster) on board.

Congratulations on your plane and being able to take those much needed Baja trips.

BigBearRider - 11-9-2017 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
So if my deal goes as planned I shall be airborne over Baja soon. I finally have access to some aircraft the have the range and speed to make Baja travel practical.
I won't be able to make longer trips until I retire. But quick weekend trips from the border to San Quintin are now within my grasp.

It sounds like you joined a flying club? If so, which one? Plus One?

fishbuck - 11-9-2017 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

I don't want to jinx it but details will trickle out as appropriate.

BigBearRider - 11-9-2017 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

I don't want to jinx it but details will trickle out as appropriate.

Good luck. I assume that you joined the Baja Bush Pilots, if you are not already a member.

fishbuck - 11-9-2017 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bonanza bucko  
Fishbuck:

You are a lucky devil! I'd give my left XXXs to do that again.

We did it about 75% of our weekends for 35 years from San Diego to Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay and then from Sacramento to there.

We started in a 1957 C-182 which hauled a lot of the supplies, beer and friends needed to build our first house there in 1979. Then the trip was in our beloved Bonanza to build the second house.

Here's a video (turn up the sound and go full screen) that I made of the trip. The opening shot shows both our Bonanza and our old C-182 which was taxiing by at Borego. https://vimeo.com/68383565

Baja Bucko .....AKA Bonanza Bucko. :-)

Very nice thanks

gueribo - 11-9-2017 at 03:49 PM

220px-Facebook_like_thumb_2.png - 3kB

LancairDriver - 11-9-2017 at 04:01 PM

I used to fly my Lancair 4p from Oregon to Mulege in five hours. Leave in the morning and have lunch and a margarita at the Serenidad by noon. I still have that option but For the last couple of years We have been taking our RV and bringing our dogs and all kinds of gear and towing a Jeep Wrangler for off road exploring and taking three days for the trip. I’m in no hurry so the extra comfort and convenience is worth the extra time and camping comfortably on the beautiful Conception beaches. An airplane takes you from a to b quickly, but you need to have ground transport and everything you need in place when you get there. It all depends on your mission.

John Harper - 11-9-2017 at 04:31 PM

My dad and I flew from Burbank to LA Bay back in 1973 in a Cessna 182, some kind of charter flight with just a few other fishermen. Stayed at Casa Diaz. They had to "buzz" the landing strip to get all the people and vehicles out of the way and then came in to land. Quite an adventure. My mom back home must have been frantic the whole time.

John

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by John Harper]

shari - 11-9-2017 at 05:00 PM

woo hoo...if you want to come and fish here I will pitch in for fuel for a quick visit to Sirena in Ensenada or at least as far as San quintin!

David K - 11-9-2017 at 06:05 PM

L.A. Bay in the 60s and early 70s (before pavement):

When Cruz (Mama) Diaz was cooking turtle steaks for dinner, the planes arrived from all points! She was famous for her turtle.

That was the prime industry developed there in the old days, after gold mining ended. Then American fly-in sports fishermen. Turtle trucks would drive the old dirt road for days delivering turtles to Ensenada for processing.

One story from the old days was that the Sea of Cortez had so many turtles you could walk across it on their backs!

Hook - 11-9-2017 at 07:11 PM

Hey, whatever happened to Mike and the whole Screaming Airlines thing?

John Harper - 11-9-2017 at 07:24 PM

L.A. Bay in the 60s and early 70s (before pavement):

When Cruz (Mama) Diaz was cooking turtle steaks for dinner, the planes arrived from all points! She was famous for her turtle.

That was the prime industry developed there in the old days, after gold mining ended. Then American fly-in sports fishermen. Turtle trucks would drive the old dirt road for days delivering turtles to Ensenada for processing.

One story from the old days was that the Sea of Cortez had so many turtles you could walk across it on their backs!

I remember having turtle steaks for dinner at the Diaz place. We also drove with some people south and around to the other side of the bay and gathered some conch snails and oysters. I'm sure it's all gone now.

John

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by John Harper]

fishbuck - 11-9-2017 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Yeah, Captain Mike you still out there?

David K - 11-9-2017 at 09:37 PM

Sold his plane. He's on Facebook.

Hook - 11-10-2017 at 07:42 AM

I remember having turtle steaks at the Diaz compound. It was probably the early 80s.

Toughest piece of meat I ever attempted to subdue.........

Sr.vienes - 11-10-2017 at 08:10 AM

Hey “still to be determined buck” don’t forget about BajaBush pilots when you go back to flying. They do a lot for the baja pilots and provide lots of resources.

fishbuck - 11-10-2017 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
Hey “still to be determined buck” don’t forget about BajaBush pilots when you go back to flying. They do a lot for the baja pilots and provide lots of resources.

Good suggestion. Thanks. I definately need to hook up with those guys.

Bob H - 11-10-2017 at 09:38 PM

Great flying stories!
Flying to Baja is a quick way to begin enjoying the peninsula!
I have had a couple of fun flying trips over Baja:

*I got to fly with Doug Bowles from Alfonsina's to Oceanside, via Calexico back in 1999.
*I flew with Captain Mike over Mulegé and Punta Chivato in 2001.
*In 2014, I flew in Jim McCoy's helicopter from El Cajon to San Vicente then again from Mission San Fernando back to El Cajon, in 2014.

Good stuff David. I never had the chance to fly with private pilots over Baja. Your 2001 Capt. Mike flight would be my favorite....

[Edited on 11-11-2017 by Bob H]

elgatoloco - 11-10-2017 at 10:35 PM

My wife and I had the good fortune of travelling on Screaming Airlines down to La Paz during the Baja 1000 some years ago. It was a gas. Capt. Mike was a solid pilot. Brown Field - San Felipe - Mulege - La Paz - Mulege - Guaymas - - Douglass ? - Scottsdale.

Another time I flew in a plane with some buddies to Isla Natividad for surf. While there we hopped down to Abreojos one morning for a session. Good times. :dudette:

fishbuck - 11-11-2017 at 01:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

My wife and I had the good fortune of travelling on Screaming Airlines down to La Paz during the Baja 1000 some years ago. It was a gas. Capt. Mike was a solid pilot. Brown Field - San Felipe - Mulege - La Paz - Mulege - Guaymas - - Douglass ? - Scottsdale.

Another time I flew in a plane with some buddies to Isla Natividad for surf. While there we hopped down to Abreojos one morning for a session. Good times. :dudette:

That is what an airplane can do for you alright.
The only thing in this world you can't buy more of is time... unless you're a pilot.:cool:

[Edited on 11-11-2017 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 11-11-2017 at 01:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
I used to fly my Lancair 4p from Oregon to Mulege in five hours. Leave in the morning and have lunch and a margarita at the Serenidad by noon. I still have that option but For the last couple of years We have been taking our RV and bringing our dogs and all kinds of gear and towing a Jeep Wrangler for off road exploring and taking three days for the trip. I’m in no hurry so the extra comfort and convenience is worth the extra time and camping comfortably on the beautiful Conception beaches. An airplane takes you from a to b quickly, but you need to have ground transport and everything you need in place when you get there. It all depends on your mission.

I love the 4p. Amazing.
Since your not flying it can I borrow?

LancairDriver - 11-11-2017 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

I love the 4p. Amazing.
Since your not flying it can I borrow?

Maybe consider borrow with a nice deposit. Maybe consider selling.
I still fly it a lot around the states, just got back from a run to Florida. Not Baja so much anymore. I have been flying Lancair’s for the past fifteen years with no problems. If you have an interest in flying one I would recommend you google Lancair 4p, there is a lot of discussion on various posts on the airplane.
Here are a couple of links on the discussions and comments.

https://www.skytamer.com/Lancair_IV.html

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/is-a-lanca...

[Edited on 11-11-2017 by LancairDriver]

fishbuck - 11-11-2017 at 05:33 PM

Wow... just wow!

Cruising speed at 75% power at 7,315 m (24,000 ft): 291 kt (539 km/h; 335 mph)

Range, no reserves: 1,260 nm (2,334 km; 1,450 miles)