BajaNomad

Stolen boat in Bahia de Los Angeles Pics Added

24baja - 11-8-2017 at 05:15 PM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1021444784421459...

From fb post
As many of you know, Don Holden sold "Bella Gato" to Bill Vessels last week. Bill and his wife took the boat to L.A. Bay. Last night, after they had anchored the boat near the launch ramp in L.A. Bay, someone stole the boat and trailer in the night. The boat is registered in So Dakota and the trailer has So Dakota plates. The police will be notifying all authorities to be on the lookout for "Bella Gato". Please, please be on the lookout for this boat as well and feel free to share this post? We are heartsick over this theft.

FB_IMG_1510243371071-512x384.jpg - 53kB FB_IMG_1510243211015-512x500.jpg - 66kB

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by 24baja]

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by 24baja]

Paco Facullo - 11-8-2017 at 07:31 PM

As you probably already know a generous reward for the Police or whoever, works best....

24baja - 11-8-2017 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
As you probably already know a generous reward for the Police or whoever, works best....

Not our boat posted for a friend. They know.

Hook - 11-8-2017 at 07:53 PM

How about a C & P? Some of us just dont use Facebook.

bajafish42 - 11-21-2017 at 09:05 AM

wow a few years a friend of mine had a 22' glacier bay with twin honda 90's stolen off his anchor in the east cape (los barriles)

watizname - 11-21-2017 at 10:50 AM

Did they actually have to load the boat on the trailer before they drove away with it? If so, they have some pretty big juevos.
I guess anytime you take your trailer off your rig, a hitch lock is a must. :(

pacificobob - 11-21-2017 at 05:19 PM

that boat is not a super common design. it will be conspicuous, and easily IDed if the word gets out. i'll be on the lookout.

basautter - 11-23-2017 at 05:43 AM

Sorry for the loss. As a lesson for the rest of us with boats, was there any security devices on the boat? I have often left mine anchored overnight with the keys in the ignition. Ugh....not doing that anymore!

24baja - 11-23-2017 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Sorry for the loss. As a lesson for the rest of us with boats, was there any security devices on the boat? I have often left mine anchored overnight with the keys in the ignition. Ugh....not doing that anymore!

I wish I could answer all your questions but I really do not know anymore than I posted. The owner of the boat went back to California the day I posted this for him and I have not spoken to him since. If I hear more I will post an update. Sorry for my incomplete info!

David K - 11-23-2017 at 07:43 AM

That was very kind of you to do 'Two For Baja', Happy Thanksgiving!

24baja - 11-23-2017 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That was very kind of you to do 'Two For Baja', Happy Thanksgiving!

It is what all of us should be kind enough to do for Anyone.

Happy Thanksgiving to you also!

fishbuck - 11-23-2017 at 02:16 PM

Nothing feels worse than losing your boat...

24baja - 11-24-2017 at 08:33 PM

The owner has now advised me that the boat was parked on its trailer next to his rented cabana at Casa Diaz in Bahia de Los Angeles when the boat, motors and trailer were stolen.

Santiago - 11-25-2017 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
The owner has now advised me that the boat was parked on its trailer next to his rented cabana at Casa Diaz in Bahia de Los Angeles when the boat, motors and trailer were stolen.

whoa...this is different. Stolen from Casa Diaz? What in the world is going on down there?

Pfish - 11-26-2017 at 07:48 AM

That is a piece of good news as the insurance will kick in--if it was insured. When I get insurance, they do not cover the trailer or the boat when it is on the water.

Hook - 11-26-2017 at 09:08 AM

Well, the policies I have gotten in Mexico always stipulate that the boat and trailer MUST BE ATTACHED TO A TOW VEHICLE, for the insurance to be in effect.

Also, many policies dont actually cover theft, only damages from accidents.

woody with a view - 11-26-2017 at 12:46 PM

Just like Mexico. The details rise to the top of the murky sludge!

basautter - 11-26-2017 at 01:11 PM

Nothing new, read the insurance policies. Not everything is covered.

LancairDriver - 11-26-2017 at 09:26 PM

Por favor robeme

It’s beyond frustrating to get ripped off on a large item like a boat, trailer, motor combination as a package. Thieves probably couldn’t resist this one. Sorry to see such a significant loss.

[Edited on 11-27-2017 by LancairDriver]

marv sherrill - 12-5-2017 at 03:52 PM

My friends and I were offroading up a canyon and found your boat! It was stripped - no engines or steering mechanisms, but hull seemed to be in good conditions - it is sitting just off of the dirt road covered in branches in a feeble attempt to hide the boat. The bait tank and a seat we found about a mile from that. Life preservers still in the boat! We have a few pictures, but as we were on quads we couldn't carry anything back . We reported it to the police- 24 Baja - anything else you want me to do?

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by marv sherrill]

woody with a view - 12-5-2017 at 04:09 PM

They are on the road home so not sure if they’ll see this for a bit.

David K - 12-5-2017 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by marv sherrill  
My friends and I were offroading up a canyon and found your boat! It was stripped - no engines or steering mechanisms, but hull seemed to be in good conditions - it is sitting just off of the dirt road covered in branches in a feeble attempt to hide the boat. The bait tank and a seat we found about a mile from that. Life preservers still in the boat! We have a few pictures, but as we were on quads we couldn't carry anything back . We reported it to the police- 24 Baja - anything else you want me to do?

Hi Marv, I sent a message to the boat owner (Bill Vessels) about your discovery and post here.

marv sherrill - 12-5-2017 at 05:48 PM

thanks, david.

David K - 12-5-2017 at 06:26 PM

I am just happy it was you who found it. Bill got the message and he sent you a u2u just now.

rts551 - 12-5-2017 at 06:38 PM

Bad roads....bad boat stealers. Glad it was found.

Cliffy - 12-5-2017 at 06:56 PM

How far from BOLA was it found?

weebray - 12-6-2017 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Nothing new, read the insurance policies. Not everything is covered.

This must have been posted by an insurance salesman. Read the policy??? I don't have little boy eyes anymore. Everything is covered - until you have a claim. Insurance? My brother had some once.

larryC - 12-10-2017 at 08:16 AM

Bad news to report. Evidently the thieves went back out to where the boat was left in the desert and torched it. Maybe to destroy evidence? Too bad.

David K - 12-10-2017 at 08:21 AM

So sad and borders on evil to take something from someone and do that. I hope some of the good people of Bahía hear who is responsible so this may not happen again to someone else.

There sure is a dark side to "The Amigo Country"

chuckie - 12-10-2017 at 09:29 AM

What a damn shame!

rts551 - 12-10-2017 at 10:42 AM

It was reported to the police...and then torched?...hmmmm

chuckie - 12-10-2017 at 11:37 AM

SOSDD

woody with a view - 12-10-2017 at 11:48 AM

wasn't the owner on his way to get it? i read that 5 days ago. and why would the thieves go back to the scene to torch it? too much chance to be found out. i'm thinking this is different people but then again, only the scorpions and lizards really know what happened.

Cliffy - 12-10-2017 at 05:25 PM

Still trying to find out how far it traveled before being stripped

larryC - 12-10-2017 at 07:40 PM

The boat was found about 14-15 kilometers out of town on the dirt road that goes up Manila canyon as I understand what Marv posted.

[Edited on 12-11-2017 by larryC]

Hook - 12-10-2017 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Bad news to report. Evidently the thieves went back out to where the boat was left in the desert and torched it. Maybe to destroy evidence? Too bad.

I wonder if they might have done it to diminish the potential for a reward to work. The owner is less likely to post a reward for the motors if the boat is destroyed.

Very odd that it was torched shortly after a report on Nomads that the hull had been found. Coincidence? Most everyone in BOLA has access to the internet now, dont they? Nomads is a pretty well-known website.

Cliffy - 12-10-2017 at 09:46 PM

Somebody in BOLA knows who!

tobias - 12-10-2017 at 09:50 PM

Thieves are generally pretty dim. I doubt that they put much thought into it.
Could have even been kids , I grew up in a very remote area long ago in a lawless place and sorry to say kids my age set more than a few things ablaze

rts551 - 12-11-2017 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by larryC  

I wonder if they might have done it to diminish the potential for a reward to work. The owner is less likely to post a reward for the motors if the boat is destroyed.

Very odd that it was torched shortly after a report on Nomads that the hull had been found. Coincidence? Most everyone in BOLA has access to the internet now, dont they? Nomads is a pretty well-known website.

I would bet on the report to the police prompted the torching much more so than postings on the internet.

chuckie - 12-11-2017 at 09:19 AM

I doubt there is any conspiracy here, BUT I would bet the POLEECES know who dun it....Gringo or Mexican....Usual results are expected....Interesting activity over in GN...Locals are finding these thieves and beating the chit out of em.....Maybe that will help...

Hook - 12-11-2017 at 09:22 AM

Yeah, the police being tipped is probably more likely than the internet being the source. Agree with Chuckie; the police probably know who did it.

chuckie - 12-11-2017 at 09:25 AM

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/de-nuevo-en-guerrero-negro-toman-j...

Hook - 12-11-2017 at 09:56 AM

Pitchforks and torches have gotten the job done since the Dark Ages.

When will Mexico exit the Dark Ages?

willardguy - 12-11-2017 at 10:00 AM

they caught ol' "el masturbin" red handed!

woody with a view - 12-11-2017 at 01:37 PM

:lol::lol:

24baja - 12-11-2017 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by marv sherrill  

Hi Marv, I sent a message to the boat owner (Bill Vessels) about your discovery and post here.

Hi Marv and David
Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately I just read this today as we have been travelling and catching up with family.
David thanks for letting Bill know.

So sad about the outcome.

BajaBreak - 12-12-2017 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
they caught ol' "el masturbin" red handed!

I'm sure once those four citizens got their hands on "El Masturbin" there wasn't much chance he was gonna get off this time.

marv sherrill - 12-12-2017 at 05:55 PM

That's way too bad - The boat was in great shape before that - I doubt that the thieves read Baja Nomad, but I did not post exact location at all - only to Bill and Baja 24. But it does get around quicky -BOLA is a small town and news travels fast. I will check up on the other items we found near the boat soon.