satmike - 11-10-2017 at 03:34 PM

Any reports on how much dirt is left?
Thanks Mike

[Edited on 11-24-2017 by satmike]

Dirt...Hwy 3?

AKgringo - 11-10-2017 at 03:38 PM

Did you mean Hwy 5?

rts551 - 11-10-2017 at 03:49 PM

If you mean hwy 5, I was just on it last week. Lots of dirt.

satmike - 11-10-2017 at 08:52 PM

Sorry I meant 5. Just wondering how much more was paved since last year?

mtnpop - 11-10-2017 at 10:15 PM

zero, zip, nada, none,
looks like several miles could get it but no indication it's gonna happen soon...
only one road grader, a survey crew and a skid loader working when we came thru 2 weeks ago...
they were spreading out the roadbase in the chapala lake area toward mex 1

rts551 - 11-11-2017 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
zero, zip, nada, none,
looks like several miles could get it but no indication it's gonna happen soon...
only one road grader, a survey crew and a skid loader working when we came thru 2 weeks ago...
they were spreading out the roadbase in the chapala lake area toward mex 1

A week ago the road base was all spread and compacted...but no paving equipment in sight. Lots of workers and equipment working to complete the section through the pass. Also paved section on the east side was blocked off and crews working to complete that section (blasting through a couple uncompleted areas). If they brought paving equipment in they could complete at least 1/2 the road.

David K - 11-11-2017 at 08:39 AM

Last August, about a mile of new paved road was open south of Gonzaga and the new roadbed across Laguna Chapala was open for a couple miles. Only the bridge was paved. As it is ongoing construction, these detours may change and revert back. See my Trip Report #6 near the end. I think I shared the photos also in another Hwy. 5 thread here.

Sr.vienes - 11-11-2017 at 01:15 PM

They might lose a little road base if they opened all of the areas with base on them but they would get a lot of free compaction where they need it.

mtgoat666 - 11-11-2017 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by satmike  
Any reports on how much dirt is left?
Thanks Mike

Plenty of dirt available in baja. No need to bring any. It appears to be a limitless natural resource!

[Edited on 11-11-2017 by mtgoat666]

thebajarunner - 11-11-2017 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
They might lose a little road base if they opened all of the areas with base on them but they would get a lot of free compaction where they need it.

You need to keep adding water when you are rolling in fresh base to achieve compaction.
Compaction could not be achieved without regular water being added.... all that would happen would be a steady disappearance of the base that had been applied.

David K - 11-11-2017 at 03:44 PM

Last year, they were filling water trucks from tbe old well at Las Arrastras. This year that pumping operation and worker camp were gone, yet the paving isn't there yet.