BajaNomad

Cocina Dona Estrella

Santiago - 11-11-2017 at 07:48 PM

Having raved about Cocina Dona Estrella’s desayunos for a few years, I finally had the chance to take SWMBO there a few days ago. Very disappointing, I’m sad to say. It was on Friday, about 10:00am.
The coffee was served in a rustic mug which the ear was so small a finger could not fit thru. No big deal, except the coffee had a very off odor and almost earthy taste. The mug did not seem to be glazed, maybe from that? Ordered a bottle of water and soldiered on.
She orders Huevos Mexicana and I order Chiliquilles Especial which means it comes with eggs (milgas in the southwest). Each came with refried beans, standard with these dishes.
Our plates came out within five minutes, way fast considering the place was 2/3 full, at least 100 people. Hmmmmm
Mine was the worst I’ve ever been served and they forgot the eggs, the bill did have it correct so a kitchen error.
The beans were a very light brown runny gruel, about the size of a small hot cake and could not be eaten with a fork. Tasteless. No lard within sight.
Her dish was good and she felt sorry for me and gave me half. Why we are still married.
Tortillas, thank god, still freshly made.
We called for the check, paid and left.

At least an afternoon of wine tasting was ahead of us.

Paco Facullo - 11-11-2017 at 08:47 PM

Love your good informative honest reviews.
Thanks

Udo - 11-12-2017 at 01:20 PM

Love the afternoon of wine tasting.

For a superb steak, wine and down-to-earth prices (for the Valle), try Cieli winery/restaurant, on the south hill, and one dirt driveway past Deckman's restaurant.

woody with a view - 11-12-2017 at 04:07 PM

I stick to the National dish, Huevos Rancheros. For mid day grub, taco and rice and beans. Hard to flock that up.

Mateo-Feo - 2-9-2018 at 11:21 PM

Wow this is the first bad review I've heard of this place. It's been getting busier over the years but the cafe de olla... omg so good. Yes the cups are probably non fired with led in them. I love it. The borrego tatemada is the best I've ever had. I hope you just had a bad day there. I would give them a second chance. Corn pancakes and some chorizo too please! Hope they are not falling off. Cocina de doña esthela I'm assuming we're talking about the same place because your in the valle

BajaBlanca - 2-10-2018 at 08:35 AM

that is the coffee !! I loved it!! earthy flavor ... bring it on!

when we went, the food was outstanding and I am sorry you had a bad meal. If you give it a second go, be sure and let us know how it goes.

If you have patience, could you please give the directions on how you got there? I tried to get us there once and got us properly lost.

TMW - 2-10-2018 at 11:31 AM

Blanca this should help. I got it off Trip Adviser. Hotel Fatima on hwy 3 is at KM92. Any of the 3 roads with the GPS coordinates lead to the place but the top one leads directly to it.

La Cocina de Dona Estrella

[Edited on 2-10-2018 by TMW]

HeyMulegeScott - 11-11-2019 at 09:41 AM

We are going to try and eat here this week. We made the mistake of going on a Sunday last spring and it was so crowded we couldn't even find a place to park.

DanO - 11-11-2019 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Her dish was good and she felt sorry for me and gave me half. Why we are still married.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Santiago - 11-12-2019 at 06:41 AM

I hope everyone sees that this was from 2 years ago; I have heard nada on any recent reviews. Maybe "It Takes" will let us know.

BajaBlanca - 11-13-2019 at 05:22 AM

Tom! I never saw your map and never thought of trip advisor (duhhhh)

Thanks (only late by over one year)

HeyMulegeScott - 11-19-2019 at 02:43 PM

Added to my trip report. The food was great. Friendly service. Don't go on a busy weekend.