BajaNomad

Family RV camping in Baja - destinations please!

Mariposa279 - 11-12-2017 at 12:49 PM

We have a burly Dodge Sprinter camper van, and two boys ages 7 and 9yo. Though my husband is a "let's just get in the van and drive" kind of a guy, I am a committed planner! So I'd love to know wonderful destinations, as well as stops along the way. We want to play on the beach, surf, kayak, and watch whales and dolphins. And we want to be super safe. I'd be grateful for recommendations! We live in Los Angeles, and are planning a vacation for Dec 16-Jan 1. Thank you!

TMW - 11-12-2017 at 01:16 PM

There are so many places to see and things to do. You may want to look thru the trip reports, especially the the 7 trips David K did this year since they are recent.

A good camping guide is "Camping Mexico's Baja" by Mike and Terri Church. Lots of good info. Surfing is best on the pacific side and the water is warmer on the Sea of Cortez side. Whale watching is primarily on the pacific side too.

surfhat - 11-12-2017 at 01:41 PM

Although your dates are a tad early, Checking in with Shari's Whale Magic Tours near Guerrero Negro, should not be missed, going down or on the way back north.

The Cuevas Raton 7500 year old cave paintings, east of Guerrero Negro, on the way to the Sea of Cortez heading south, is another offering. There are several other cave painting sites available in different areas along the way to choose from. Some of the human-like images on the cave walls look almost extraterrestrial when you consider that the local tribes at the time were all fairly short and squat.

Shari and Juans La Bufadora Inn in Bahia Asuncion, with their own blowholes right in front, is well worth a couple of days to chill out at.

The possibilities are endless, and many here will chime in with their favorites.

For surfing, Pescadero, Baja Sur, at that time of year has the warmest water temps.

The Sisters area in north central Baja has the best surf that time of year, and is a wide open stretch of coastline where you can find, or used to be able to find, some seclusion all of your own.

Whoops, that might pee some off, but the secret is not a secret,and has not been for decades. You can still find your own, and don't have to put up with crowds with a little extra effort.

If you happen to time it with an out of season south swell, the East Cape can turn on with a minimum of crowds, although the seasonal winds can be problematical. The warmest temps that time of year make it worth the while, even without any surf.

There are few secrets left, but they are out there. Go find your own and treasure the times. Thanks to all here.

Welcome to the forum!

AKgringo - 11-12-2017 at 02:11 PM

Have you driven in Baja before, and do you intend to see as much as possible, or find a couple of nice spots?

I first took my family to Baja in 1986, and we really liked Mulege and Sanispac beach a little south of there. Those spots have changed the least over the years, and I think are a must see for a young family.

The southern end of the beach gets highway noise, but that is where I recommend camping. There are showers available at one of the restaurants on the north end.

All good info from Surfhat, and there is more...lots more! I suggest that you read a few more posts about some of the areas others have written, then come on back with more questions.

You guys are gonna love it!

[Edited on 11-12-2017 by AKgringo]

pacificobob - 11-12-2017 at 02:45 PM

what year is the sprinter? the availability of ULSdiesel might be a consideration for you. have a great time.

David K - 11-12-2017 at 04:06 PM

Is the Sprinter made for any rough dirt roads or has four wheel drive? I am not familiar with it.

MMc - 11-12-2017 at 08:51 PM

Mariposa279, what are your/families interest? Where are you from? You ocean or lake kinda of people? Fishing, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Surfing/Boogie board, SUP, Windsurf/Kiteboard?
What do want to do or achieve on you 2 week trip? If you live in CA. there are missions before the CA missions to see. Plenty of diving and surfing to be had. Fishing is world class or very, very good. We need a bit more info to help you out.
Or you can drive, camp and have the trip of a lifetime!!!
I am going south tomorrow for 2 days and might be a bit slow getting back to you, but there are plenty that will.

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by MMc]

dmiller72 - 11-13-2017 at 06:27 AM

Hello Mariposa279,

We too are an RV family and just happen to be planning our visit for almost the same dates! This is our tenth trip to Baja, our kids will be ages 5, 10, 12, and 13. Maybe we can connect. If you send me a private message, I can put you in touch with my wife who could give you some mom perspective. We tend to base camp on the Concepcion beaches, but each year we get on the back roads along the pacific and to various parts of the interior. We mix a lot of outdoor fun with serving a couple of orphanages, as well a delivering supplies and Christmas gifts to a dozen or more remote fishing / ranching villages. So much to do with kids! Hope to hear from you.

BajaBlanca - 11-13-2017 at 08:57 AM

dmiller How absolutely beautiful that you remember the little towns with supplies and gifts....very, very cool. I bet your kids love handing out happiness.

For a first trip, I would head straight for Bahia Concepcion and take it from there! Kids love beaches and when boredom sets in (if it does) then you can work your way slowly back and definitely stop by Bahia Asuncion where there are gringoes and kids and surfing and fishing - all good things for both you and the kids.

Have fun and tell us about it when you get back home!

Cliffy - 11-15-2017 at 12:05 AM

Lots to see and do. BajaBlanca says it well.
Be safe and drive slowly. Baja 1 is not a So Cal freeway!
In many places there are no shoulders to pull off on. Watch out for the other guy and I and many others don't drive at night. Cows love to lay in the road at night. You'll see all the big trucks that do drive at night all have big heavy cow catchers on them!! :-)
Don't try to do too much in 2 weeks. Its easy to plan too much driving and then find that it takes more time than you planned.
Make sure you have Mexican written insurance, we do all the time. Some don't but we do. Peace of mind.
Again, don't try to see all of Baja the first time in 2 weeks. There's just too much to see and do to do it in 2 weeks the first time.
A side trip into Bay of LA for a couple days. I used Dagget's the last time to camp.
Read lots of the posting here to find restaurants on the way down. As noted, Church's book is a reference.

Tres Rios - 11-15-2017 at 08:21 PM

Me and my family with two boys 11 and 4 are driving down from Three Rivers, Ca Dec 16th - Jan 13th mostly on the East Coast. We have plans to meet friends who are flying into SJDC and spend 9 days in Cabo Pulmo with a loose itinerary for down and back. Maybe we'll see the family in the Dodge Sprinter. Cheers and Have a good trip....

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by Tres Rios]

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by Tres Rios]