BajaNomad

Question for Fisher(wo)men

GypsyJan - 11-12-2017 at 05:26 PM

I've been rereading my Julia Child cookbooks for inspiration and remembered that years ago I had some spectacular Dover Sole in England.

Is there a similar firm-fleshed whitefish available from a Rosarito fishmonger that I could use for the butter sauté recipe?

TIA

freediverbrian - 11-12-2017 at 06:13 PM

Halibut is great but expensive, sand bass or white fish is good, winter fish to use is rock fish ,red Rock is the best but any rock is good . Stay away from sheephead or barracuda, perch, mackerel. Tuna or yellow tail is good but not for what you want.

shari - 11-12-2017 at 06:43 PM

ask for Blanco which is a whitefish that is very very popular here ....the cooperativa fishes for them and it is a wonderful fish and they should have it there.

AKgringo - 11-12-2017 at 06:46 PM

Do ling cod occur that far south? I would trade two pounds of halibut for a pound of ling cod any day!

freediverbrian - 11-12-2017 at 06:54 PM

Yes ling cod is available you can catch them with rock fish and a good choice. The blue meat is a little off putting but cooks up white and sweet.

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by freediverbrian]

aguachico - 11-12-2017 at 10:27 PM

Jan;
Depends on how the meat is cooked. Halibut is dense and has less water than rock fish or ling cod. I though sole, being a deep water fish was dense also like black cod.

I think Shari's rec would be a good start. Buy the whole fish so you are sure what you are getting. Popotla is the best place for fresh fish.

post the recipe.