BajaNomad

Does vehicle on trailer need tags?

No55brando - 11-13-2017 at 11:14 AM

I will be crossing at tecate and heading to cabo. I have an old volkswagen bus that does not run, that is my camper on a flatbed trailer. The trailer is tagged. Does the bus need tags as well?

rts551 - 11-13-2017 at 11:28 AM

If the vehicle is not permanently mounted to the trailer it needs tags and it needs to run. Sometimes the Mexican customs officials will ask you to start it.

No55brando - 11-13-2017 at 05:20 PM

ok, thanks. it will start, its just not driveable. It's just used as my camper on a flat bed trailer.. Since it won't drive it can't be inspected to get tags. Is there a place to get south dakota tags in Tecate???

advrider - 11-13-2017 at 05:26 PM

We need a picture of said bus, what year is it? Sounds interesting....

No55brando - 11-13-2017 at 05:48 PM

it's a 59 panel. i am 46 and have had it since college. i will try and get a pic to this thread...

JZ - 11-13-2017 at 05:55 PM

Will need current registration.

No55brando - 11-13-2017 at 05:58 PM

No55brando - 11-13-2017 at 06:01 PM

bus.jpg - 134kB

PaulW - 11-13-2017 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by No55brando  
I will be crossing at tecate and heading to cabo. I have an old volkswagen bus that does not run, that is my camper on a flatbed trailer. The trailer is tagged. Does the bus need tags as well?

=== ==
Absolutely - tags and current registration are required and demonstration that the vehicle will run. I have to do that every time I cross. Been like that way for quite a while.
If you want to import it then you need an official title and money for the fee. Consult a broker for doing an importation.
Race trucks/cars/motos that do not have tags or registration at least have a bill of sale.
Exception are made just before any race. Good luck doing that.

gnukid - 11-13-2017 at 09:46 PM

CA DMV has a ~$15 round trip pink window sticker permit for vehicles in progress of being worked on but not yet totally ready for registration often used for old classics on the way to recovery which are legal in USA and should be legal in Mexico but may not be commonly acknowledged. Could be time to register it for real to bring it to baja. There is no CA DMV inspection to update the registration for pre 1975 vehicles just back fees and liability insurance required at DMV CA.

To be clear I'm not recommending this temp moving permit instead I suggest you register it correctly and fix but here is a reference to temp moving permits
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast...

[Edited on 11-14-2017 by gnukid]

bajaguy - 11-13-2017 at 10:24 PM

Nope, but you can do it by mail.

Clay County....... http://www.claycountysd.org/treasurersoffice.cfm

ok, thanks. it will start, its just not driveable. It's just used as my camper on a flat bed trailer.. Since it won't drive it can't be inspected to get tags. Is there a place to get south dakota tags in Tecate???

AKgringo - 11-14-2017 at 07:44 AM

Man...that's like it's right out of a Cheech and Chong movie! All that is missing is a cloud of smoke drifting out the windows, shouldn't be any problem with secondary inspection!

Other than nostalgia, I can't see why you would drag your old bus/camper on a flatbed, instead of an actual camp trailer. But good luck with your odyssey, and let us know how it works out!

shari - 11-14-2017 at 08:08 AM

Friggin awesome thread today...finally something new and different and best of all RETRO!!! that baby is stylin and I look forward to tuning in and turning on with your adventure every step of the way....I hope you like to write and you already posted a pic so that's a bonus!

I hope you figure out how to get her down dude. I totally want to hear the story behind this.

bajaguy - 11-14-2017 at 11:22 AM

Not a bad idea....maybe they offer franchises.

Is there a place to get south dakota tags in Tecate???

bajatrailrider - 11-15-2017 at 09:11 AM

The moving permit from CA not acceptable in Baja. S. Dakota plate the way to go.

No55brando - 11-15-2017 at 04:06 PM

I did a few adjustments and it fired right up. runs like a top. Got it inspected and registration is good to go. I am moving to my place at Cerritos beach that i have had for over 10 years. Km 65 down towards the beach. 1 km from the beach. Between tienda Brody and tienda Kimberly. Stop by and we will have a cold one.

advrider - 11-16-2017 at 07:00 PM

Very cool van, is that going to be your new Baja cruiser? I'll be down that way in March with a group of moto's, maybe I will swing in and say hi.