BajaNomad

maps - best road map? best topo map?

caj13 - 11-13-2017 at 11:52 AM

Looking for a good map of Baja, need one that shows roads cities etc. also would like something that shows topo features, so that may be another map or set of maps, something like the gazeteers series would be great.

any ideas? sources?

David K - 11-13-2017 at 12:03 PM

The Baja California Almanac (topographic road and trail map book).
All out-of-print. A Nomad recently made copies of the '98 ones.
Find new or used ones online:
*2009 (new, large size)
*2003 (single volume, all color)
*& ca 1998 (two volume ,norte & sur)

Earlier were the two large Baja Topographic Atlas books (1986, 1991)...

Sample from 2009:

Sample from 2003:

The 2003 and 2009 editions:

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by David K]

thanks

caj13 - 11-13-2017 at 12:08 PM

thats what I am looking for, I'll start looking on line -
thanks
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Baja California Almanac (topographic road and trail map book).
All out-of-print. A Nomad recently made copies of the '98 ones.
Find new or used ones online:
*2009 (new, large size)
*2003 (single volume, all color)
*& ca 1998 (two volume ,norte & sur)

Earlier were the two large Baja Topographic Atlas books (1986, 1991)...

Sample from 2009:

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 11-13-2017 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Looking for a good map of Baja, need one that shows roads cities etc. also would like something that shows topo features, so that may be another map or set of maps, something like the gazeteers series would be great.

any ideas? sources?

the national geographic maps are good. they make a pair of maps covering baja. 1:450,000 scale. you can buy from variety of online vendors

caj13 - 11-13-2017 at 12:09 PM

looks like they are 400 bucks - a bit to steep for a book of maps IMHO - until of course i get lost!

David K - 11-13-2017 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

any ideas? sources?

the national geographic maps are good. they make a pair of maps covering baja. 1:450,000 scale. you can buy from variety of online vendors

Sample from the 2008 Nat Geo folding maps:

bajaguy - 11-13-2017 at 12:15 PM

Don't know where you live and if you (or a family member/friend) are a member of the Auto Club (AAA).

Their Baja maps are out of print, but I have had success in finding them is smaller/rural offices

any ideas? sources?

David K - 11-13-2017 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Don't know where you live and if you (or a family member/friend) are a member of the Auto Club (AAA).

Their Baja maps are out of print, but I have had success in finding them is smaller/rural offices

any ideas? sources?

Sample 2010 AAA Baja Map:

dmiller72 - 11-13-2017 at 05:25 PM

+1 votes for the AAA map for general highway driving and the Baja Almanac for the dirt roads.

This year I'm also bringing my phone with GaiaGPS app, it's only $10 and you can download highly detailed maps for offline use, including various topos and high resolution satellite imagery (nice for 'exploring' dirt tracks that don't show up on regular maps.) The app is very full featured and can of course 'follow' you as you drive, display all manner of statistics & trip data. There's an online companion site where you can geek out on things such as synchronizing tracks & waypoints, export / import with Google Earth, etc. Since it's offline, you don't need cell service.

advrider - 11-13-2017 at 05:30 PM

Several good free app's out there for your phone. I use Osmand on my android, you can also buy E32 for your phone or tablet. I haven't tried them but a lot of people like them. One of those and a AAA map and your pretty well covered.

PaulW - 11-13-2017 at 06:17 PM

Yes, many of us use the above maps but the best topos maps come from INEGI the Mexican equivalent of the USGS maps in the states. Free download with instructions on this site.
Most used would be the Almanc. Watch Ebay and wait for a 2009 version for $100-200. Look every day until you find. $400 for new unused would be a good price.

AAA maps are available

Gscott - 11-13-2017 at 07:43 PM

In spite of being told the AAA maps were out of print and hard to find, I was able to get them from the main AAA website. Just requested them and received!

I first found them at my local office a couple years ago. And then went back and they still had them. Got another off the website just a few months ago when I was requesting other maps. Still available.

I've come to the conclusion they are not out of print at all, but were maybe between printings?

Gscott - 11-13-2017 at 07:45 PM

looks like they are 400 bucks - a bit to steep for a book of maps IMHO - until of course i get lost!

They show up on occasion for $40, here and there. You just have to be first. And persistent.

I'm hopeful someone will print a new Baja Almanac. Soon! But who knows..

AKgringo - 11-13-2017 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  
In spite of being told the AAA maps were out of print and hard to find, I was able to get them from the main AAA website.
I've come to the conclusion they are not out of print at all, but were maybe between printings?

I was able to get them at the AAA in Grass Valley CA last year, but I went back recently and they are gone, and will not be back in stock again!

caj13 - 11-14-2017 at 11:03 AM

Ill try my local AAA. I did order up the nat geo north and south maps on Amazon, but they are backordered, no idea if and when they might show up

Gscott - 11-28-2017 at 05:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I was able to get them at the AAA in Grass Valley CA last year, but I went back recently and they are gone, and will not be back in stock again!

I just ordered another from the AAA website. Seems to be available.

PaulW - 11-28-2017 at 07:56 AM

Not about paper maps.
However I now have a nice Android tablet and I am amazed of the quality of the maps that are available. For sure they are as good as my AAA map. Screen size is always an issue an for sure bigger is better.
Start a new thread if you want to pursue this option.

David K - 11-28-2017 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Not about paper maps.
However I now have a nice Android tablet and I am amazed of the quality of the maps that are available. For sure they are as good as my AAA map. Screen size is always an issue an for sure bigger is better.
Start a new thread if you want to pursue this option.

What is the app Paul?

PaulW - 11-28-2017 at 12:06 PM

1)Currently I am playing with Orux. It is Mx based, but any Garmin maps can be downloaded. Heavy learning curve and not mastered. Baja map is good. Shows road names in San Felipe, Partial road names in ElDorado Ranch. Shows good enough detail between SanFelipe and San Ignacio. App cost a few bucks.
2) Map.me Just got it and it looks easier that Orux. Map quality is good. Have not traveled in the back country with it yet. Free app.
3) Google maps. A free app. Looks close to Maps.me. I have not used it yet. It came with my Tablet. So far the only map I chose was Mexico.
I am highly suspicious that all the above are using the same maps.
Comment apply to Andriod only with an internal GPS
4) Earthmate work just fine without Inreach with comparable maps. App is free without Inreach
5 Another app I want to try is backcountrynavigator.com. Android $9.99. Highly recommended by others

David K - 11-28-2017 at 03:21 PM

Keep us up to date on what works, how much, and links to the app. Thanks.

Gaia GPS maps

Gscott - 11-28-2017 at 10:48 PM

Anyone used this map app? Check out the level of detail at the link below (zoom all the way in to 500 feet or so) What do you think? I might give it a try if you all think it looks decent. Looks to be about $20 on the Google Play store.

https://www.gaiagps.com/map/

AKgringo - 11-29-2017 at 10:02 AM

When I used the link provided by Gscott, the map centered on where I am now in Nevada County, CA. Coincidence, or am I really being followed? :wow:

Anyway, I zoomed in on property that my family has owned since the 40s, and found errors right away. Fire breaks that my dad established between our property and adjoining BLB land years ago, show up as roads.

They are only drivable on the ridges, and not continuous but someone (or an algorithm) connected the sections and even labeled them as an extension of an actual existing road.

I have seen the errors before on some other source (not Google or Bing), so they are using old data.

David K - 11-29-2017 at 10:05 AM

Gaia looks good until you zoom in... In some areas, it shows all the roads (along the coast, for example), but nothing much inland is shown when I looked south of San Felipe.

bkbend - 11-29-2017 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
When I used the link provided by Gscott, the map centered on where I am now in Nevada County, CA. Coincidence, or am I really being followed? :wow:

You're being followed, or your IP address is. I opened earlier this morning and it centered on Vancouver, BC. I thought it was where Gscott was at when he posted the link. Now I assume it's because I'm using a VPN service which happens to be based in Canada and Vancouver is where I'm actually jumping onto the internet.

Back to the topic -- I peeked at some favorite forest roads to my secret spots locally and the roads did not show up, a good thing. Switching to the USGS layer brought them back, but for some reason that layer does nothing in Baja.

caj13 - 12-3-2017 at 07:58 PM

judt got the National Geo North and south maps. look like they wioll do the trick. I often use GPS or phone for navigation, but when I'm planning - or scheming, I like to have maps in front of me, I get alot better feel for distances, come across hidden gems etc!

kk6mbh - 12-4-2017 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  
Anyone used this map app? Check out the level of detail at the link below (zoom all the way in to 500 feet or so) What do you think? I might give it a try if you all think it looks decent. Looks to be about $20 on the Google Play store.

https://www.gaiagps.com/map/

I've used this one over the last five years or so from Yellowstone to San Juanico. The app gets better with with every update. To get the most out of it I'd recommend upgrading to the Premium service. I use the website to plot courses and enter way points, which I save and then download to my iPhone or iPad. In addition, you can access other users routes, trails and way points. It's not cheap but I've found it to be the best available for my needs.

SteveWil - 12-4-2017 at 10:23 AM

Another one that I use (on Android ) is AlpineQuest GPS Hiking. Don't let the Hiking fool you, it has road maps also.
It kind of like Gaia but allow you to download google and bing Sat map so you can use off line.
You can spend a lot of time downloading maps at the different zoom levels before a trip.

StuckSucks - 12-4-2017 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Gaia looks good until you zoom in... In some areas, it shows all the roads (along the coast, for example), but nothing much inland is shown when I looked south of San Felipe.

I use Gaia as a redundant map while racing in Baja. I can download HIGH resolution sat maps, as well as road maps, topo, etc. to use offline. I can then overlay the race course, chase access roads and other information.

I am a lover of maps. I have detailed topo maps of the entire southwest US and Baja as well as many other flavors of maps. I discovered the wonders of e-mapping (GPS, GIS, sat images) 20 years ago and have never touched a dead tree since. In my world, the e-version provides a greater degree of detail and accuracy.

Road Runner - 12-6-2017 at 02:32 AM

Depending on where you are (Rural, urban), google maps (For directions) can work really well. You can download the directions for offline use or use it where mobile data is available. I've used this all around La Paz, Cabo, Todos Santos and los Barrilles areas and it worked great. Not sure how well the Google maps will work for more remote areas and obviously they probably won't work well for offroad.

Metro PCS offers Unlimited Mexico data/call etc for $5 add on feature, so when ever I head down to Mex I activate this. It is very convenient to be able to enter an address and have Google maps give directions instantaneously.

basautter - 12-6-2017 at 05:12 AM

I recommend both the Baja California Almanac and the AAA map. Neither is perfect, but between the two you will get to your desired location.

Gscott - 12-8-2017 at 12:01 PM

Thank you for those that took the time to evaluate GAIA. I could see it has some primitive roads but have no first hand knowledge of roads to know how good it is.
Since I posted this I picked up a copy of the "Baja Topographic Atlas Directory" for a decent price. I'm pretty happy about that.

David K - 12-8-2017 at 12:34 PM

The BIG spiral bound map book? Great find!

Jinete Viejo - 12-8-2017 at 06:24 PM

The GAIA map shows an area called "Zona Nucleo" due east of Guererro Negro on the opposite coast. It appears to be just south of La Trinidad where the No Wimps trail turns west towards El Gato. What is this?