BajaNomad

Loreto- Internet, long-term housing rental

Suchislife - 11-14-2017 at 03:59 PM

Hello, I am wanting to live in Loreto from December to May and I work from my computer. I am wondering what type of internet service I could get in Loreto? It doesn't need to be super fast, just reliable. 5mbps+ would work. Also, is going through a realtor for a rental the way to go or is there another way? I am looking for a budget rental studio or one bedroom. Thanks in advance.

woody with a view - 11-14-2017 at 05:08 PM

If it was me i would start here:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78659

Suchislife - 11-14-2017 at 05:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, that was posted a while back and it's in La Paz. I am specifically looking in Loreto. Thanks again!

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by Suchislife]

Suchislife - 11-14-2017 at 05:31 PM

Anyone have any ideas, particularly somebody living in Loreto or having recently stayed there for some time?

AKgringo - 11-14-2017 at 05:36 PM

Suchislife, welcome to the forum, I hope you find what you are looking for, but I don't think that link will be it.

The add is two and a half years old, and is for a summer rental rate. Winter is snowbird season around there, and the area is a full half day drive south of Loreto!

If you check it out, and it happens to be a place you could work out of, I could give you a few insights about the area (but not the rental unit)

Suchislife - 11-14-2017 at 05:39 PM

Thanks, and you are right, it is an old ad and not what I am looking for. I may have an apartment in Loreto available, just waiting on the realtor to get back to me on Friday and thought I would check around just in case it doesn't work out. I am also wondering about internet. Haven't been able to find much online so far. If I come that way, I'll take those insights. thanks again

gallesram - 11-14-2017 at 05:53 PM

Just an FYI, I have rented several houses in Loreto Bay (the development south of town) and the internet was always pretty bad (i.e., really slow). When I have stayed in town at various hotels (Santa Fe, La Mision & Posada del las Flores, all in the centro) I found that the internet was much faster.

Suchislife - 11-14-2017 at 05:56 PM

Thanks Gallesram. I am planning on staying in town so that is good to know. If you were going to rent an apartment or house in town, would you go through a realtor or is there another way to find a place there?

woody with a view - 11-14-2017 at 06:29 PM

Whoopsie!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 11-14-2017 at 07:13 PM

Hola,

check out hotel angra. a very nice boutique hotel off the main drag so it's quiet that does have internet, sorry but i don't understand speeds and such but was very adequate for my minimal needs but no amenities such as a pool or spa but, great secured parking that is gated at night, fantastically large super clean rooms and wonderful english speaking family, hands on management that serves coffee and minor breakfasts.

perhaps, negotiate a long time rental.

walking distance to restaurants, bank, malecon and other tourista things.

please just google hotel angra and tell them of your needs.

you won't be disappointed ! great location to all within walking distance.

just talk to ana.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Suchislife - 11-14-2017 at 07:15 PM

thank you da rat. I will do.

willyAirstream - 11-15-2017 at 06:51 AM

Internet in Loreto is DSL and will be 5mbps - 7mbps. Ditto about Hotel Angra above. Best way to find a rental is ask everyone from people at taco stands to store owners.

billklaser - 11-15-2017 at 07:00 AM

Internet is widely available in Loreto. Through Telemex there are various packages available. Will handle all your needs easily. Go on the Telemex website to review the details.

Suchislife - 11-15-2017 at 11:59 AM

Thanks Billklaser. I will do that. That is the information I need. I do need to download heavy data files which is why I need to make sure of the internet. Thanks again.

bill erhardt - 11-15-2017 at 12:56 PM

Randy Hammon has his finger on the pulse of real estate in Loreto as much as anybody in town. He is primarily involved in sales, but if there are rentals available he will know about them. (In fact, he has a couple of his own.)
http://www.propertiesofloreto.com/aboutus.html

Actual real time information

Howard - 11-15-2017 at 01:04 PM

I am posting this from Loreto using my DSL which runs through the phone lines.

Using speedtest.net a moment ago the speed was 4.67 download and 0.50 upload speed. Service is mostly good, not great and occasionally goes out but overall I am satisfied with the speed and service.

The cost is around 400 pesos (around $21 a month) a month for the phone line and the DSL. I don't use the phone but I guess I need it for the Internet to come through. I think they offer a faster speed for more $ but not sure.

At one time there was a back log to get the phone line but do nit know if there is a delay now. Possibly 500 pesos to the tech could speed things along.

What price range do you want to spend for a place and your requirement and I can look around. You can U2U me the info if you would like.

Howard

Suchislife - 11-15-2017 at 01:12 PM

Wow, thanks Howard. I sent you a U2U.

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by Suchislife]

Suchislife - 11-15-2017 at 01:15 PM

Thanks everyone who replied. Thanks Willy Airstream. That is a great idea.

rhintransit - 11-15-2017 at 01:23 PM

Reliable internet? Well, when Telmex is working, it's reliable. Telmex is reliably unreliable. Heavy data, who knows? Depends on who else is downloading at the same time. When I lived in town you could count on sluggish service at opening time for businesses and when school let out. It does also vary depending on where you live, so check out speeds various times of days wherever you consider renting.
Budget digs high season, December to May, are also hard to find, depends on what you require. The basic on the economy types are not going to be advertised on line, nor are many realtors going to have them. And internet may or may not be available in those. Ask around, taco stands, taxi drivers, etc. no central posts for rentals. It's a small town, and seasonal gringo priced rentals are the norm. Buena suerte.

DaliDali - 11-15-2017 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Suchislife  
If I had a lower speed and wanted to upgrade to a higher speed, do you know how long that would take

Telmex "offers" 3 different speed options.
But they don't tell you.....there is ONLY one in Loreto right now.
That is the "hasta 10 Mbs" plan.

Anything higher and your wasting your money......it does not exist.
There is no fiber optic cabling from the TelMex server in Constitution that can handle a higher speed.
Confirmed by a TelMex tecnico here in Loreto.

Howard gets 4.7 and I am a stone's throw from his casa and I get 10 mgs day in and day out....

Mr Wahoo KIng, Bill Earhardt, is spot on.....get ahold of Randy Hamman for all things real estate.

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by DaliDali]

Suchislife - 11-15-2017 at 01:26 PM

Yes, thank you DaliDali for the great info. 10 mbps would work for me. I will take all the advice and am contacting Randy right now.

Suchislife - 11-15-2017 at 02:46 PM

Thanks for the great info Rhintransit. If all goes well I hope to be down there soon.

Suchislife - 11-16-2017 at 09:30 PM

Mendodoc, thanks for the info. I don't have a cell phone. It's a good idea though. Have you heard of any long term rentals? Thanks again..

Mendodoc - 11-16-2017 at 09:32 PM

Couldn't figure out HOW to re-post after editing so here it is again w(with corrections..)I just rolled in Loreto last week, connected my desktop computer to the big ass TV hanging on the wall at the place I'm staying ,and turned on my T Mobile cell phone to "hot spot mode". Now can watch Netflix,Amazon videos, etc. no problemo.
It's probably not as fast as the wired connections, but I'm down here for pleasure, not business.
Cocos Cabanas has 3-6 month rentals...

rhintransit - 11-17-2017 at 08:30 AM

Mendodoc, thanks for the info. I don't have a cell phone. It's a good idea though. Have you heard of any long term rentals? Thanks again..

If you don't require in town life, there are three options in Nopoló (viejo, not Loreto Bay). Olive Tree Villas, which may be on line, the other two, I can drive by on my way to town today and send phone numbers

[Edited on 11-17-2017 by rhintransit]

Suchislife - 11-17-2017 at 08:43 AM

Rhintransit, yes thank you. I would appreciate that very much.

rhintransit - 11-17-2017 at 09:34 AM

Rhintransit, yes thank you. I would appreciate that very much. [/quote
please note edit of pat. It Olive tree villas. Will u2u phone numbers of others this evening

rhintransit - 11-17-2017 at 10:19 PM

Suchislife see u2u