BajaNomad

Some ways nomads secure documents while traveling and camping needed....

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 09:00 AM

Looking for suggestions on how to secure your documents and such while on the road and camping???!

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 09:08 AM

I guess it wouldn't be a good stash spot anymore if you gave away your secrets right???! :lol:

gnukid - 11-16-2017 at 09:45 AM

I use zippered plastic bags of the type that sheets of comforters come in to be sure they are waterproof and put them somewhere that is hidden but accessible. On occasion I take them in the plastic bag with me wherever I go in a backpack as opposed to leaving them behind. Other options include leaving them somewhere very secure for example in a secure office locked cabinet where people remain and only taking copies with you on adventure trips.

Paco Facullo - 11-16-2017 at 09:48 AM

Also I take a photo of all important doc. and have them on my phone along with emailing them to myself.
Just in case you loose everything.
This includes my passport.

mtgoat666 - 11-16-2017 at 09:49 AM

Sounds like you are bringing file boxes of documents camping.

I suppose you could get a locking file cabinet and bolt it to floor of your vehicle :light:

bkbend - 11-16-2017 at 09:52 AM

http://www.consolevault.com/

motoged - 11-16-2017 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Also I take a photo of all important doc. and have them on my phone along with emailing them to myself.
Just in case you loose everything.
This includes my passport.

And when you lose your phone ??????

Paco Facullo - 11-16-2017 at 10:40 AM

"And when you lose your phone ??????"

As said,

You STILL have everything in your email account ...

AKgringo - 11-16-2017 at 11:06 AM

Even when I have the top on my little Kia Sportage, it is so easy to get into that nothing is 'secure'. What I use to protect small items and documents from damage by water, dust, and my large dog, is a military style ammo can.

It has a convenient spot on the floor behind the driver's seat, and is easy to take with me if I need to.

What surprises me is that despite the restrictions on guns and ammo in Mexico, no check points have ever asked me to open it up for inspection!

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

maybe a fortknox safe bolted to the top of my vehicle so everyone knows I'm carrying important sensitive chit huh???!

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 03:21 PM

Maybe I'll just revert back to my 7 month backpacking stent in Mexico and go with instinct right???!

bajabuddha - 11-16-2017 at 04:33 PM

If you're in a trailer or 5th wheel the kitchen and bedroom drawers usually have a plastic stop-mechanism that keeps the drawers from coming all the way out, and must be pushed up from below to remove the drawer completely. I would pull out the bottom one and put my stash/docs etc under there. They will check the drawers, but never remove them.

aguachico - 11-16-2017 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tres Rios  
Looking for suggestions on how to secure your documents and such while on the road and camping???!

Secure your docs from what?

mtgoat666 - 11-16-2017 at 06:49 PM

Put your files on a microchip on insert under your skin.
For cash and passport, insert in anus.
You are now secure!

Paco Facullo - 11-16-2017 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
You are now secure!

Also write your name in marks-a-lot on the back of your hand,
just in case you forget.....

[Edited on 11-17-2017 by Paco Facullo]

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 08:23 PM

mtgoat666 maybe you can help me insert the cash and 4 passports in my ANUS.... That would be greatly appreciated from such a Noble all knowing Nomad....:coolup:

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 08:25 PM

from opportunists aguachico....

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 08:27 PM

you A-holes aren't concerned about credit/debit cards, cash and passports???!

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 08:32 PM

Maybe I can tattoo the county I'm from and my last name on my belly in case I forget who the F&%k I am and from what wasteland I'm from too....

Tres Rios - 11-16-2017 at 08:34 PM

No need to worry about theft aguachico???!

Paco Facullo - 11-16-2017 at 08:34 PM

We MOST certainly are. !!!!

That is why we gave you such GREAT advice .

And thank you for the A-hole reference...

We all know where we stand...........

Paco Facullo - 11-16-2017 at 08:37 PM

Maybe I can tattoo the county I'm from and my last name on my belly in case I forget who the F&%k I am and from what wasteland I'm from too....

Now your talkin.......

Paco Facullo - 11-16-2017 at 08:39 PM

Look,
I'm only F*ckin with ya.

You were given good advice. What else were you looking for

aguachico - 11-18-2017 at 03:43 AM

from opportunists aguachico....

I camp a lot in baja. I do not think my documents are the most important things to secure.

Depending on your vehicle, there are many places to hide documents. Under the floor matts is one of the most overlooked places.
Even US and Mexican border patrol fail to search under the floor matts.

The real question is how do you secure your vehicle from theft?

I personally do not secure documents. I lightly hide my passport, if I carry it to Mexico - which I do not often. I only carry the enough pesos for a few days.

chuckie - 11-18-2017 at 07:36 AM

Getting to be too much peril to even go...

bajaguy - 11-18-2017 at 07:43 AM

Make color copies of everything

Keep one set of copies with you, put one set on a USB stick, e-mail one set to you

Put originals in this bolted to your vehicle (someplace):

https://m.costco.com/Sports-Afield-SA-RVS-Lightning-Handgun-...

David K - 11-18-2017 at 07:43 AM

No, where I go in Baja there are either no other people there (I have four-wheel-drive) or there are only good people there (most of Baja). If you want to go to a city on a vacation and have this fear of Mexican crime, there are plenty of U.S. cities to go to, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington D.C. come to mind! :no::no::no:

I have been camping in Baja since 1965 and have yet to be a victim of anything more than a memorable time with a desire to go back.

Paco Facullo - 11-18-2017 at 08:45 AM

As for the cash thingy, I use a belt with a hidden zippered compartment
in it.
https://www.amazon.com/Hiker-Money-Thomas-Bates-Black/dp/B00...

It saved me from losing ALL my cash when I got drugged with “Devil's Breath” aka Scopolamine: by a woman from Venezuela ..

Funny thing was I wasn't with her for sex, just hanging out together.

bajaguy - 11-18-2017 at 08:51 AM

That is what Billy Clinton said.......

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Funny thing was I wasn't with her for sex, just hanging out together.

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2017 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

No, where I go in Baja there are either no other people there (I have four-wheel-drive) or there are only good people there (most of Baja). If you want to go to a city on a vacation and have this fear of Mexican crime, there are plenty of U.S. cities to go to, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington D.C. come to mind! :no::no::no:

I have been camping in Baja since 1965 and have yet to be a victim of anything more than a memorable time with a desire to go back.

Dk, your comparison is silly. Let’s correct it.
For boondocks travel, let’s compare USA boondocks to Mexico boondocks.
For city travel, let’s compare USA cities to mexico cities.
For city travel, let’s compare DF to DC. DC is safer. In DC you don’t have to worry about criminal,cab drivers kidnapping you!
Let’s compare TJ to San Diego. San Diego is safer.
Now, the boondocks of Baja, some of boondock baja is safe,... some ain’t. Pity, there just isn’t much public land in Baja for boondocking, it’s rapidly disappearing as fences go up. And those fences are going up for a reason, because land owners are having problems with crime, vandalism, destruction by off-roaders, etc.

David K - 11-18-2017 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Dk, your comparison is silly. Let’s correct it.
For boondocks travel, let’s compare USA boondocks to Mexico boondocks.
For city travel, let’s compare USA cities to mexico cities.
For city travel, let’s compare DF to DC. DC is safer. In DC you don’t have to worry about criminal,cab drivers kidnapping you!
Let’s compare TJ to San Diego. San Diego is safer.
Now, the boondocks of Baja, some of boondock baja is safe,... some ain’t. Pity, there just isn’t much public land in Baja for boondocking, it’s rapidly disappearing as fences go up. And those fences are going up for a reason, because land owners are having problems with crime, vandalism, destruction by off-roaders, etc.

Oh, mine was silly but yours:

You are now secure!

Was so serious!!!!???? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gscott - 11-18-2017 at 11:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

maybe a fortknox safe bolted to the top of my vehicle so everyone knows I'm carrying important sensitive chit huh???!

Seems like a reasonable solution, why are you mocking it? I will have a hidden safe or lockable compartment for money, valuables, documents and where legal; Firearms and ammo. Probably built into the floor / frame of my van under cabinets or the bed. Should work fine. Also having documents stored in the cloud could work, if you trust such things.

Chupacabra - 11-19-2017 at 07:43 AM

Google "car safe" or search the same words on Amazon and you will see numerous options. I use one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Homewares-Portable-Car-Safe/...

I keep most of my money and my passport safely locked away. There are also laptop-sized versions, search "laptop car safe".

Marc - 11-19-2017 at 08:10 AM

Don't ask me...I just lost my Passport. Best to have a color copy in another location.

tiotomasbcs - 11-19-2017 at 09:39 AM

Problem with hiding your $$money is finding it after a few rounds the night before. I just found $2000 p in my folded t-shirts in my house....still laughing about that! :bounce::bounce: Tio

Marc - 11-19-2017 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Problem with hiding your $$money is finding it after a few rounds the night before. I just found $2000 p in my folded t-shirts in my house....still laughing about that! :bounce::bounce: Tio

I have a secret hiding place in my Tundra. I would tell...but it's a secret.;D

Tres Rios - 11-19-2017 at 02:54 PM

Cheers All!!!! Not too worried about it at all just have never traveled to Mx by auto. Have always bussed it and backpacked it through Mx without a family.... Thanks for the humor and jabs.... Enjoy it to the fullest

Doug/Vamonos - 11-29-2017 at 09:41 AM

Hah! You need to ask a pothead. They have very creative ways of hiding things!