BajaNomad

route to Mulege? 5 or 1?

caj13 - 11-18-2017 at 10:04 AM

Ok guys, taking a scouting trip. headed for Mulege area. pretty much 6es if I go through san diego / tijuana. or el centro mexicali.

how are the roads - ie is 5 a good road. or am i better going all the way down on 1?
i would like to go through san felipe and continue south from there, but not sure if I put myself in a bad road situation if I keep headed south on 5?

and crossing wise, i suspect tijuana is a bigger headache than Mexicali? but i have no idea. So i figured ; why not ask the experts!

Howard - 11-18-2017 at 10:12 AM

Where are you starting out from?

bajaguy - 11-18-2017 at 10:13 AM

South on 1, return on 5.......best of both

David K - 11-18-2017 at 10:26 AM

What is 'good' to you?

I use the 5 because I hate cities and traffic. There are 22-23 unpaved miles on the 5, but they are just bumpy miles and all vehicles and trucks use it... like a long detour when they pave other highways in Mexico. Motorhomes and 5th wheels may want to avoid dirt roads, but all others should have no issues on 5.

Hwy. 1 requires you to drive through the city of Ensenada, a 30-minute ordeal, at best. Then there are all the farming areas of the San Quintin Valley. You also have winding mountain sections on Hwy. 1 south of Ensenada and south of El Rosario that you don't have on Hwy. 5.

From the border south, Hwy. 5 is over 100 miles shorter, less traffic, more ocean views. If you begin in San Diego, you have to get over to Mexicali which balances the distance saved.

Lot's of photos in the Nomad Trip Reports forum of either choice.

Here is a view along Hwy. 5:

JZ - 11-18-2017 at 10:51 AM

5 w/o question. Much better.

bajaguy - 11-18-2017 at 10:59 AM

Which is "best"??? What or who defines "best"

5 or 1, like comparing oranges and mashed potatoes

Everyone has their preferences, you are getting personal biases here

caj13, drive both and decide for yourself.

Paco Facullo - 11-18-2017 at 11:01 AM

Also along the 5 you can stop for fish tacos in San Felipe

A beer at CowPaddy's

and a beer at Coco's.....

Howard - 11-18-2017 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

A beer at CowPaddy's

-----------------------------------
And shock absorbers when you complete the 23 miles :biggrin:

As mentioned above, go down 1 an up 5 and cross northbound at Tecate

Paco Facullo - 11-18-2017 at 11:14 AM

If'n ya do end up taking the 5 be sure to air down your tires.

Going South there is a tire shop when you hit the 1 that will refill up your tires.

Cool guy too , has 15 dogs. I always carry a Costco box of dog biscuits with my in Baja so of course the dogs were happy to.

bajaguy - 11-18-2017 at 11:19 AM

Cow Patty's

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

A beer at CowPaddy's

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2017 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
South on 1, return on 5.......best of both

I often do south on 1, North on 5, for variety.
But also depends on weather. The 5 side is awfully hot, like 100+ hot, so really quite nasty.

caj13 - 11-18-2017 at 02:00 PM

Thanks guys,

based on what you say, i figure the 5 is my best option, I'm coming from the central valley - Fresno area, so i can cut through tehachapi etc get to mexicali, avoid LA and SD traffic,. Plus a few places i want to check out on the 5. I'll decide for coming back up wether I take the 1 or the 5, based on my trip down!

BTW, when you say air down tires - how much? from 32 to 20? more? less?

[Edited on 11-18-2017 by caj13]

Paco Facullo - 11-18-2017 at 02:08 PM

Well heck,

Depending on the time ya have, both ways have there charms.

Personally I REALLY like Tijuana, Ensenada , San Quintin , etc..
... for a bunch of reasons.

If you haven't been, you should do both.

David K - 11-18-2017 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Thanks guys,

based on what you say, i figure the 5 is my best option, I'm coming from the central valley - Fresno area, so i can cut through tehachapi etc get to mexicali, avoid LA and SD traffic,. Plus a few places i want to check out on the 5. I'll decide for coming back up wether I take the 1 or the 5, based on my trip down!

BTW, when you say air down tires - how much? from 32 to 20? more? less?

[Edited on 11-18-2017 by caj13]

Really need to know what you are driving and what kind of tires... If you don't have good suspension then about drop about 1/4 to 1/3. It is really optional now, for such a short distance, I think. I used to drop from normal 34 to 25 psi on it. I didn't even bother the past few times as the rough parts are only a few miles long now.

bajabuddha - 11-18-2017 at 02:48 PM

caj13, if you do drive Hwy 5 up or down be advised in the stretch between San Felipe and Puertecitos there are a series of vados that cross the road that makes short, steep and deep dips that'll bong your head on the roof of your vehicle if you hit 'em fast, so be aware of them. The pavement gives a false sense of security along that part of the drive. You'll see the dig-marks in the asphalt where some unwary drivers didn't.

AKgringo - 11-18-2017 at 03:27 PM

I start my trips from north of you, and either travel south on the east side of the Sierra Nevada range, or take the route you plan on using.

I air down for a few back roads in Baja, but the new construction on 5 is not one of them. The road hazards are not that great, and you will be encountering them at much lower speeds than the potholes, vados, and topes on the paved sections.

StuckSucks - 11-18-2017 at 09:50 PM

Highway 5 for me, Laguna Chapala norte. Unless I am forced to go to Ensenada, I will never use 1 again. As everyone has said, 5 has much less traffic, better scenery and MUCH faster. And the mileage is a push (from Tecate) to Chapala. AND I get 23 miles of bonus dirt. What's not to like?

If you're at peace with the dirt section, go that way. Otherwise endure Highway 1 madness.

MMc - 11-18-2017 at 10:05 PM

I prefer 1. I find it a just a more enjoyable, cooler and a more colorful drive. I love the desert and 5 has plenty, the best part is the dirt road.
Drive time and distance to the junction is within 10 of driving time from my house and I chose 1.
Going down one and back on the other is always fun, better when you don't know both roads. It's your trip don't let us decide for you.

bajabuddha - 11-18-2017 at 10:21 PM

Do it all.

See Baja.

Then tell your stories.

Yahoodee, and yippie-ay-aye, muh-fuh.

btw, keep the black side down. :cool:

8knots - 11-19-2017 at 03:57 AM

I've done 1 maybe 12 times. So tired of the Ensenada and small farm town grind but like the cool temps and hotels/restaurants.

Where to stay with dogs on 5 that is nice and has food nearby?

Marc - 11-19-2017 at 07:47 AM

Just returned Wednesday this week on Mex5. A guy in a new Beetle convertible made it from Gonzaga to Mex1. A race mechanic stopped to help him and was zip tying his front bumper back in place near the tire shop. The guy was German and was determined to get to La Paz that day.
Also; I honestly don't know how those big rigs make it through.

David K - 11-19-2017 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
I've done 1 maybe 12 times. So tired of the Ensenada and small farm town grind but like the cool temps and hotels/restaurants.

Where to stay with dogs on 5 that is nice and has food nearby?

San Felipe. Many motels and restaurants... it is a vacation city.
The entire Highway 5 from Mexicali to Laguna Chapala (Hwy. 1 jcn.) is only 240 miles (5 hours). Gonzaga Bay area also has rooms with meals nearby (Punta Bufeo, Alfonsina's, El Sacrificio).

David K - 11-19-2017 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Just returned Wednesday this week on Mex5. A guy in a new Beetle convertible made it from Gonzaga to Mex1. A race mechanic stopped to help him and was zip tying his front bumper back in place near the tire shop. The guy was German and was determined to get to La Paz that day.
Also; I honestly don't know how those big rigs make it through.

They just drive really slow!

[Edited on 11-19-2017 by David K]

David K - 11-19-2017 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Ok guys, taking a scouting trip. headed for Mulege area. pretty much 6es if I go through san diego / tijuana. or el centro mexicali.

how are the roads - ie is 5 a good road. or am i better going all the way down on 1?
i would like to go through san felipe and continue south from there, but not sure if I put myself in a bad road situation if I keep headed south on 5?

and crossing wise, i suspect tijuana is a bigger headache than Mexicali? but i have no idea. So i figured ; why not ask the experts!

There are at least three recent threads about Hwy. 5. Unless you search out the others the same questions get asked.

Time goes by quickly, but they are working so slowly on this my photos from 3 months ago are probably the same as you would see today:

AUG. 13, 2017 NEWS
NEW ROADBED OPEN!

In the 2 weeks since I was last on this route, barriers blocking the new highway elevated roadbed (south of the original road) were removed and other cars were on it. During construction, these detours could very well change back.

Mile 0.0 Hwy. 1 & Hwy. 5 Junction, 1:58 pm.
Mile 0.9 Fork right onto new roadbed.
Mile 3.5 original and new roads rejoin.
Mile 5.2 off of new roadbed.
Mile 8.0 Construction camp, leave new road alignment and head for Coco's Corner.
Mile 12.9 Coco's Corner 2:36 pm
Mile 16.8 Las Arrastras 2:45 pm Rejoin new road route.
Mile 22.3 On pavement and new bridges.
Mile 23.2 Km. 167 (just north of previous pavement start.
Mile 35.5 Km. 147 Gonzaga Bay Pemex, 3:12 pm

Paved bridge, new section, Chapala Valley.

New section, Chapala Valley.

Can you imagine how Arturo Grosso made the first road through here, in 1955? Picks and dynamite!

Here is where the highway leaves the original route (northbound) and shoots straight to Las Arrastras, bypassing Coco's Corner.

Nearing Coco's Corner.

Here at Las Arrastras, is where the new highway returns to the original route, on the north end of the Coco's Bypass.

Old and new routes criss-cross a few times.

Gonzaga Bay, dead ahead!

Tomas Tierra - 11-25-2017 at 05:26 PM

Never saw a vehicle description on this thread?

So happy to not drive the 1 from chapala anymore..makes the day one drive south so much easier

TT

woody with a view - 11-25-2017 at 06:24 PM

Grab an exceptionally large handful of talcum powder and splash it on you naughty bits. You’ll survive, I promise!

caj13 - 11-25-2017 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
Never saw a vehicle description on this thread?

So happy to not drive the 1 from chapala anymore..makes the day one drive south so much easier

TT

depends on how adventurous i am feeling. If I want the complete adventure, it will be in a rangerover defender 110 tithonis, outfitted with bed and camping set-ups. Trouble there, a whopping 86 HP 4 cylinder diesel (on the good side - all mechanical). Top speed, about 104 KM / Hr 62 mph)

other option is to do it tourista style - AWD Honda CRV

woody with a view - 11-25-2017 at 07:07 PM

Bigger is better