BajaNomad

2017 Baja 1000 Overall Finishing Order

TMW - 11-19-2017 at 02:18 PM

http://score-international.com/raceinfo/wp-content/uploads/2...

Udo - 11-21-2017 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for the report!:bounce:

basautter - 11-23-2017 at 05:39 AM

Thanks for posting. Looks like the UTVs are doing a bit better each year, and Trophy Trucks are dominating the pro bikes (ugh). :light:

BajaTed - 11-23-2017 at 09:01 PM

Class 10 were impressive also

TMW - 11-24-2017 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Trophy Trucks are dominating the pro bikes (ugh). :light:

I think there are a couple of reasons why. If the course is tight and technical the bikes have the advantage. If it is long and fast like the run to La Paz the TT have the advantage. Most of the really fast bike racers have not raced the Baja races in the last several years since the factories have quit racing SCORE. Since 1996 only Honda and to a lesser part KTM have been the only true factory race teams. There was a Kawasaki team for a couple of years. Another factor has been the race bikes. Since around 2004 or 2005 the SCORE races have been dominated by the 450cc 4 stroke bikes. A 450 is not even close to the Kawasaki KX500 2 stroke. Back in the day when Kawasaki was winning the Baja 1000 a run to La Paz would average 60+ mph and would beat the Trophy Trucks, ie 1995 for example. During all this time the Trophy Trucks have gotten better.

In their prime Larry Roeseler, Paul Kruse, Ted Honeycutt, Danny Hamel, and Ty Davis were winning overall all the races.

Just my opinion.

PaulW - 11-24-2017 at 03:13 PM

Tom, You and others should understand the history of winning bikes.

All most all the wins by the factory bike teams were a direct result of the wide spread cheating. It was so outrageous that no truck could ever beat them. Trucks drove many more miles than the lead bikes. Everybody involved in SCORE racing knew what was going on and it created a lot of animosity. The bikers had so many lines that we never could locate them. All we could see was the helicopter way off the proper track. They were so bold the they even took direct shortest track thru San Felipe and the result was a many miles gained on the next place bike that was an independent. Many people standing on the course never saw the factory teams come by. These incidents were the straw the broke the so called camels back.

So what was done with a huge amount of help from some every smart volunteer software guys to create the system of tracking for infractions using satellites and on board trackers for each racer. More volunteers sat at our laptops and followed each entrant and created the penalties. This was done at the first place we could find on the way back from LaPaz that had Internet. We all sat down and went to work. The first time it took weeks to get it all sorted out.
Now days we have instant results with computer calculated penalties and we have fair play. And for a bike to be so highly placed on a long race is quite an achievement.

willardguy - 11-24-2017 at 05:21 PM

still waiting to hear the end of this 1x debacle :?:

TMW - 11-24-2017 at 05:22 PM

I don't disagree about the cheating that went on but it was done by 4 wheelers too. I know of many places where lines were cut. The tracking systems used today do for the most part eliminate cheating as it once was.

willardguy - 11-24-2017 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I don't disagree about the cheating that went on but it was done by 4 wheelers too. I know of many places where lines were cut. The tracking systems used today do for the most part eliminate cheating as it once was.

:lol: yeah right! the red line is the course, the gold line is the track that the 1x allegedly took.....

TMW - 11-24-2017 at 07:54 PM

I don't think 1x rode over the water. Besides the hwy has a 60 mph limit.

StuckSucks - 11-25-2017 at 03:53 PM

Our team has experienced problems with the tracker that SCORE uses -- it usually works, but also does some wonky things. While they are treated as the gospel, in the real world they are not.

Ateo - 11-26-2017 at 11:07 AM

Interesting thread..........

GPS errors

AKgringo - 11-26-2017 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Our team has experienced problems with the tracker that SCORE uses -- it usually works, but also does some wonky things. While they are treated as the gospel, in the real world they are not.

Three years ago a ways south of Punta Conejo, my Garmin showed me trolling along a quarter mile or so offshore, when I was just about that far in from the beach!

The same thing happened this week on a trip to Elko, but it showed my location only about a block or so south of the road I was actually on. There was no road there!

[Edited on 11-26-2017 by AKgringo]

basautter - 11-26-2017 at 12:31 PM

I have heard of unaddressed course cutting in the past, but was that issue not solved with the new tracking devices? In a fair field, I always want to see the best person/machine win!

willardguy - 11-26-2017 at 12:33 PM

well we all remember the tracking BS that cost Kurt Caselli the SF250 win back in 2013:(...now in 2017 it was originally reported the Ox motorsport team was slapped with the 30 minute penalty due to a tracking error that now ended up being the unfortunate finish line accident penalty???
I hope SCORE can put a more reliable system in place but in the meantime....40 DAYS TILL DAKAR!:bounce:

Udo - 11-26-2017 at 03:44 PM

Ah, yes, DAKKAR!

BajaBreak - 11-27-2017 at 01:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

:lol: yeah right! the red line is the course, the gold line is the track that the 1x allegedly took.....

The 1x bike won fair and square, it was flying. I saw it hanging under the chopper offshore...