BajaNomad

Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-20-2017 at 10:24 PM

My name is Victor from:
facebook.com/GearIntoAdventure

I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada. My vacation will start 17th and I was planning on making jump to Baja in 2 days.

I'm looking for possibility of going Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.
My idea was to do Baja 2017 1000 race route with detours to secluded beaches and mainly focus on exploring
offroad Baja.

I'm traveling solo unfortunately and this is where I get mixed signals by different people with Baja knowledge.

Some people say that if I go alone then I will be just fine. Where is some less common opinions are not
to do this alone and without knowledge of spanish and and personal safety or in a shiny rig.

I'm not sure how "REALLY" safe baja is for solo traveler in a shiny rig and is why I think i should get a taste of
overlanding in a foreign country not doing solo. (USA doesn't count as it is same as Canada)

Let me know if you are interesting in a little caravan or if you have particular Baja caravan resources I could look into.

thank you,

Vic

David K - 11-21-2017 at 07:29 AM

Hi Vic,
In the Baja Trip Reports Forum here on Nomad, you will get a lot of ideas of what sideroads to take and what might interest you. Look for my TRIP #1 to TRIP #7 reports as they were all this year (2017) researching roads to interesting sites and beach camps and can give you some ideas. What kind of vehicle are you in, a sturdy 4WD truck or SUV, I hope! 2WD will be fine for 90% of the driving, but the really cool, glorious camping locations and points of interest may be securely reached with only a 4X4 and lowered tire air pressure.
Feel free to throw questions out there, most of us on Nomad are happy to help you become addicted to this most-fascinating peninsula... the land that was California first!

GearIntoAdventure - 11-21-2017 at 01:23 PM

My rig can go anywhere for the most part and there is fun at looking at gps for a beach spot and just picking some road and try to get there.
this is the rig
https://youtu.be/66q3L41OwBk

My only concern is that I'm solo and was looking for maybe possibly join some caravan?

TMW - 11-21-2017 at 01:46 PM

I travel Baja solo a lot of times and have no problems. Just be aware of your surroundings and use good judgement. I don't drive at night for a couple of reasons unless absolutely necessary. My night vision is not what it use to be. As for Spanish I suggest you get a Spanish to English/English to Spanish dictionary and learn at least a few common words. You'll find that except in remote places most hotel, restaurant and gas stations speak enough English to get by.

Take pesos for gas and supplies you may need. Credit cards can be used in most places in the bigger towns. US dollars can be used but the exchange rate changes place to place and always double check the conversion.

Have fun and be friendly.

TMW - 11-21-2017 at 01:48 PM

I think you will get a lot of people looking at your rig. Pretty cool.

AKgringo - 11-21-2017 at 02:36 PM

Except for a couple of days following two motorcycles last Thanksgiving, I have always explored alone (with dog). I feel comfortable doing so, but I have at least a low level of conversational skills in Spanish.

Every plan I have tried to make this season went bust, but I have not given up on a mid winter trip this season. Keep us posted on your progress, and perhaps I will be able to tag along with you for a while (no cliff climbing though)!

Helpful hint, I have found more remote sweet spots following arroyos down to the sea, or up to the hills, than I have on roads! I try not to leave tracks in vegetated areas, but flood planes are self correcting.

Nice rig, your wheels and tires are probably equal in value to my whole car!

BooJumMan - 11-21-2017 at 07:17 PM

Baja is better solo...
But it is also better to do without making videos to entice the world to "go explore" Baja.... the reason why it is a special place is because it hasn't (quite) yet been destroyed by the masses.

I'm assuming though...that is your reason for going..? To blog and make videos so everyone can see how cool you are?

David K - 11-21-2017 at 07:20 PM

Books, videos, photos do not ruin Baja... otherwise, Baja would have been ruined 50 years ago (well to some of us paving the road did that, lol)!
Baja has a magic and one of its charms is we can go back to the same place and see different things, each time.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-21-2017 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I think you will get a lot of people looking at your rig. Pretty cool.

Thats good in usa/canada. certainly not good in mexico :)

GearIntoAdventure - 11-21-2017 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Except for a couple of days following two motorcycles last Thanksgiving, I have always explored alone (with dog). I feel comfortable doing so, but I have at least a low level of conversational skills in Spanish.

Every plan I have tried to make this season went bust, but I have not given up on a mid winter trip this season. Keep us posted on your progress, and perhaps I will be able to tag along with you for a while (no cliff climbing though)!

Helpful hint, I have found more remote sweet spots following arroyos down to the sea, or up to the hills, than I have on roads! I try not to leave tracks in vegetated areas, but flood planes are self correcting.

Nice rig, your wheels and tires are probably equal in value to my whole car!

That's what makes this tricky in developing countries. Most people travel in cars that don't stand out much where I'm a target probably a mile away for some one thinking that i didn't put sweat and tears and all my money into this. Well my dates are set on 19th-5th as i mentioned. I'm really about beach hopping through some mild offroading. Nothing too crazy, just scenic offroad chilling with some beaches reward. I'm a bit scared to do this solo because of people so this week i guess is my threshold point if i break and chicken out or push forward with this trip. If I do then i need to get car insurance done this weekend as time is running out. If i do care insurance through like DiscoverBaja... how long does it take for the process?

So if you feel like joining me please do let me know and ideally we go in together across the border :)

GearIntoAdventure - 11-21-2017 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  

I'm assuming though...that is your reason for going..? To blog and make videos so everyone can see how cool you are?

Your assumptions are wrong in the core.
Firstly I just want adventure and go to cool places and there is nothing secret about Baja, people go there left and right, they just do it not solo usually. Its like heaven for all the snowbirds from canada and usa.

Making videos takes effort, time from vacation, time from daylight. It is a job that eats up a lot of energy. If I had the money for all my future traveling ambitions then I wouldn't be shooting any videos at all as I rather just relax and do some scenic driving. However it does kind of feel good when after all that you produce a video episode. A sense of achievment.
So making videos is indeed sharing with people cool places where potentually they are thinking of going and at the same time potentually some kind of future revenue for me to cover my future expenses. Well so far video production only takes money.

Showing how cool you are is like what teenagers do. This is about trying to pay my expenses for doing more trips in the future if any of this takes off at all. And I'm glad it provides entertainment value to some people. Also through making social media stuff I have met already several people that we become friends. You meet more like minded people...

mtgoat666 - 11-21-2017 at 10:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GearIntoAdventure  

If I do then i need to get car insurance done this weekend as time is running out. If i do care insurance through like DiscoverBaja... how long does it take for the process?

Buying online takes about 5 minutes

Re your blingy truck, it will fit right in in Baja. Lots of blingy 4x4s in baja, lots of southern Californians in baja driving their tricked out suburban mall crawlers.
Do you have a day glow green energy drink logo trucker cap and t-shirt? If yes, wear ‘em, you’ll fit right in!

mtgoat666 - 11-21-2017 at 10:38 PM

If your vacation isn’t documented on Facebook and YouTube drone and GoPro videos, then it didn’t happen!
And if you don’t get lots of “likes” and some viral video contagion, then you are a loser!

GearIntoAdventure - 11-21-2017 at 11:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If your vacation isn’t documented on Facebook and YouTube drone and GoPro videos, then it didn’t happen!
And if you don’t get lots of “likes” and some viral video contagion, then you are a loser!

Gosh why did I even come here for some answers or to tag along. Lots of some sort of jealousy and butt hurtfulness. Haven't seen this much negativity in one tiny internet space in a tiny fraction of time in a while.

I've traveled plenty before any of this truck stuff or videos and or these overlanding attempts. Could care less if no one knew about it. In fact I rather people not know what I do in ideal world and just do my own thing. Most people work for "likes" not to be cool to you and in fact probably could care less if you think they are cool or not cool but do it to support their further endeavours by either your support or a nicer guy next to you. It is arguable that one can put a bucket on wheels and travel the world or another needing half a million to do the same. Everyone tries to do their thing in the way they know or can or have means for.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2017 at 11:40 PM

I say have a good time and don't stress out with worries about losing your possessions.

A real smart modification I payed for is the RAVELCO anti theft system.

A real good idea is to gas up in San Diego (minus your Gerry cans) and breeze past Tijuana, and Rosarito. Titos Tacos has a new location in Ensenada on the main drag that serves some great Mariscos. You can take food to go. If you run the trails from Ojos Negros to the summit, take your time as you descend to the Laguna Salada.

Loose ATVs and sand toys get stolen in San Felipe - particularly during Semana Santa (go figure). During las Navidades, more Americanos will be crowding the available motels and restaurants. But, for beaches, you'll probably see other campers scattered about, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I drove with friends in 2000 to Cabo and back and I saw that most of the crowds went straight to the small population centers and towns along both coasts. This sounds like a fun adventure. I would go forward with the trip, but carefully hide all electronics away from your windows. Don't drive through cities at night, and watch for corrupt cops asking for you to pay fines on the side of the street. Make black and white identification photocopies and HIDE your original documents. Carry a stash of cash in case you lose your wallet or, as what happened to some friends on the Copper Canyon Jeep run - leave your money belt with $2k on top of the toilet in the restroom at a Pemex station.

Have a great time, but be aware of your surroundings and watch for people in breakdown scenarios who may be trying to pull a jack move. I visit all over northern Baja California, Tijuana, Ensenada and while monitor Facebook groups like Carros Robados en Tijuana, just to follow the evolving nature of auto thefts. I could go on, but no be paranoid, just be educated and aware.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 12:48 AM

Thanks Ken.
Me and my truck on trips are inseparable. The only reason I would even be around towns is to fill up on gas and may be a little bit of produce and always keeping an eye on the car. Will make sure to cover my equipment.

All I really wanted from the upcoming 3 weeks trip is sense of freedom, away from towns, long trails, secluded beaches, remoteness and of course the warm weather.

This time of the year in usa and canada its pretty much impossible to have nice weather in some remote places. Well maybe florida and very south of california and arizona. However the problem with california is that its got very limited free access to water without some official camp grounds or civilization all around and interior is colder. Having just crossed Mojave desert and El Camino del diablo i rather not return there same year.

This is why I got fixated on Baja - warm weather and a lot of space for free roaming but at the price of insecurity of the environment. I have finally convinced my father to join on the trip but then a week later last week he bailed, so this is where i am now. Scared to go alone in a very sore in the eyes car but at the same time wanting it so much.

I was thinking as a backup if i chicken out to drive to florida and maybe offroad there a bit. But researching offroading in that location it seems it is all very commercialized there and mostly mud bogs. Baja seems like the only option for this time of the year for that "freedom".

Well, if anyone could tag me alone it would be awesome as a first taste of Baja. At least maybe for even just a few days.

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2017 at 08:24 AM

I would go to Baja regardless of what I was driving. My 14 year old Jeep Rubicon also attracts people's attention, but it's what I have, so it's what I drive.
You see lots of blinged out overland trucks along the Sea of Cortez coast. I have seen fully restored Pinzgauers (camped at BoLA) and a nice Earthroamer stuck in the sand at Gonzaga Bay near Alfonsinas.

So, I would skip the Florida mud bogs and frigid 4 corners region. You won't have anything to worry about as you reach warmer sections of Baja - just don't linger at midnight outside of an OXXO in the Tijuana area or fill your ice chest at a Pemex station (with panhandlers and people hanging out on the cell phone) with your wallet on the passenger seat with the doors unlocked and your keys inside the ignition.

In populated areas (especially at night) be aware and keep your personal things out of sight . Don't pick up hitchhikers, and have a fun time.

MMc - 11-22-2017 at 08:52 AM

GearIntoAdventure GO! Welcome to the sandbox.You'll have a great time, I travel solo all the time. There are plenty of places to go and see. I you decide to use the 1000 route plan to go very slow. The road is beat up, it passable but off camber woops will keep you honest.

When we see a facebook sticker on the side of your truck tend to make us jump to conclusions. Your wrap isn't that unique for Baja riggs. I don't post reports on trips mostly because the trip and what I do aren't important. Your truck will get you just about anywhere in Baja, don't be surprised when a old rolling rust bucket shows up asking for a parking fee.:bounce:

Paco Facullo - 11-22-2017 at 09:02 AM

Hey there Gear,

My vote is just go for it .
90% of the time I travel alone not just in Baja but all over the world.
I've been going alone to Colombia since early 2000's . People would always tell me your nuts your going to get killed or kidnapped ! Guess what ?
I had some of the BEST times in my life ..
I've found that you're only alone IF you want to be alone, as there are many like minded people traveling that are easy to hook up with. If you choose to.

I'm leaving on another Baja adventure this Sunday.
I most always stop in Tijuana and Ensenada and love them both. But IF I had your rig I probably wouldn't.(Unless staying in a vary secured parking lot at night.)
Although the rest of Baja ( except San Quintin ) you really don't have much to worry about.

There's a story about a couple that bought a VW van and drove it to Argentina. While in the USA everyone warned them about HOW dangerous Mexico is. Trans-versing Mexico they had a GREAT time. Then when going into Belize everyone said how dangerous Belize is.
They had a great time in Belize. This happened time and time again while crossing boarders into another. They made it to Argentina safe and sound having the time of their life's

Baja is such a vary special place it is SO worth the risk. Although the risk isn't near what most people think.
>

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by Paco Facullo]

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I would go to Baja regardless of what I was driving. My 14 year old Jeep Rubicon also attracts people's attention, but it's what I have, so it's what I drive.
You see lots of blinged out overland trucks along the Sea of Cortez coast. I have seen fully restored Pinzgauers (camped at BoLA) and a nice Earthroamer stuck in the sand at Gonzaga Bay near Alfonsinas.

So, I would skip the Florida mud bogs and frigid 4 corners region. You won't have anything to worry about as you reach warmer sections of Baja - just don't linger at midnight outside of an OXXO in the Tijuana area or fill your ice chest at a Pemex station (with panhandlers and people hanging out on the cell phone) with your wallet on the passenger seat with the doors unlocked and your keys inside the ignition.

In populated areas (especially at night) be aware and keep your personal things out of sight . Don't pick up hitchhikers, and have a fun time.

hehe earthroamer stuck in the send! :) Yah my truck is pennies compare to the likes of those :)

My plan was to enter Tecate in the morning. Drive to Ensenada, maybe stop to eat quickly keeping eye on truck having it in line of sight and then zip to La Bufadora camp grounds for the first night. Then on day 2 from there either descend down to some first secluded beach somewhere or hop on baja 1000 route and keep going untill i fill like jumping out to some secluded beach.
I wasn't planning on driving in the darkness in any cities. However some night driving in the countryside sometimes is needed to cover distances and start next day with some big scenic surprise.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
GearIntoAdventure GO! Welcome to the sandbox.You'll have a great time, I travel solo all the time. There are plenty of places to go and see. I you decide to use the 1000 route plan to go very slow. The road is beat up, it passable but off camber woops will keep you honest.

When we see a facebook sticker on the side of your truck tend to make us jump to conclusions. Your wrap isn't that unique for Baja riggs. I don't post reports on trips mostly because the trip and what I do aren't important. Your truck will get you just about anywhere in Baja, don't be surprised when a old rolling rust bucket shows up asking for a parking fee.:bounce:

Oh for sure I was going to drive baja1000 slow. My suspension is not built for that kind of racing. I would ruin my truck probably in the first 5-10min if i attempted speeds :)

I can't possibly see how a bucket would show up asking for a parking fee if I'm never in a position to get one, or otherwise not in towns other than gas and short stop for re-supply at a store but probably resupply at gas station is sufficent enough since I have month of food supply of cans and and that kind of stuff anyway from canada. Stopping for resupply is only when i feel like veriety in my diet. In worst case I dont need to stop in towns for food for a month.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Hey there Gear,

My vote is just go for it .
90% of the time I travel alone not just in Baja but all over the world.
I've been going alone to Colombia since early 2000's . People would always tell me your nuts your going to get killed or kidnapped ! Guess what ?
I had some of the BEST times in my life ..
I've found that you're only alone IF you want to be alone, as there are many like minded people traveling that are easy to hook up with. If you choose to.

I'm leaving on another Baja adventure this Sunday.
I most always stop in Tijuana and Ensenada and love them both. But IF I had your rig I probably wouldn't.(Unless staying in a vary secured parking lot at night.)
Although the rest of Baja ( except San Quintin ) you really don't have much to worry about.

There's a story about a couple that bought a VW van and drove it to Argentina. While in the USA everyone warned them about HOW dangerous Mexico is. Trans-versing Mexico they had a GREAT time. Then when going into Belize everyone said how dangerous Belize is.
They had a great time in Belize. This happened time and time again while crossing boarders into another. They made it to Argentina safe and sound having the time of their life's

Baja is such a vary special place it is SO worth the risk. Although the risk isn't near what most people think.
>

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by Paco Facullo]

Border of tecate straight to ensenada and then off to remoteness is the plan and stay mostly offroad is the plan and hopefully bumping offroad somewhere on on beaches into some other overlanding guys from who knows where. The whole idea for me of traveling by car in my rig is that I dont stop in towns to sleep or in motels or even official campgrounds. Well partially you save money this way too if you dont pay for even a campground. I do a designated campground only If i absolutely have to and have no choice in the area for an off beaten path place to sleep. So there is no chance at all I would end up at night in some motel with the car parked outside in some parking lot. That scenario would defeat the purpose of my travels in this rig. I only sleep in my car :)

As far as people traveling to argentina or other places in the world and sometimes even in way more expensive rigs than mine.... Oh i've seen plenty already on youtube and followed some people's travels. Its just usually it is at least a couple. 2-3-4 people, a couple or a family. I've never seen solo people yet doing cross continental stuff. Those people and those videos is what inspired me and got me all started to crave these kind of travels and dumping all my savings in my rig and all that. Its all I got now :)

I was thinking if I can do Baja this xmass season. Then I could maybe drive to Belize next xmass as a baby steps towards future cross continental travel in my either current rig or what comes after it. Well next august is reserved for Alaska and Arctic circle for a month. But xmass time thats what I was thinking, a little push past mexico. I just haven't realized how hard it would be to make a decision about Baja. I made that decision 2 months ago, just on a spot and it all sounded great and colorful until i started reading, hearing stories, getting all freaked out and all that as time approaches for making that decision.

MMc - 11-22-2017 at 02:01 PM

Be aware that Baja is owned by somebody, including the beaches. I have been very remote and had a guy ask for a camping fee. Please don't expect to be alone a lot of the time, most of the roads go someplace. That's why the rust bucket is there.

Don't be overly paranoid about you rig. I have had 1 breakin in hundreds of trips south, it was about 15 years ago. I will park by the heads in Ensenada and leave it alone for hours, night and day not a problem. I know what you are doing is a bit out of the box for you, some of us do it all the time.
Go, Explore, Roll around Baja and Enjoy yourself.

David K - 11-22-2017 at 03:11 PM

What MMc says.
Public beaches do have fee collectors but it may be just 100 pesos or $6.
In my trip reports are beaches and places where nobody is, primarily because only 4x4s can go there, so no fee collectors.
Here are some such places I camped like that in 2017:
Gulf side:
Shell Island
Gonzaga Bay (near Pta. Final)
Las Animas
Bahia San Rafael (2 places)
La Perla (sometimes no fee collected)

Pacific side:
Bahia Corbin
Dunes near Punta Lobos
Dunes of Salina El Datil

Plus countless desert locations.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 03:17 PM

Be aware that Baja is owned by somebody, including the beaches. I have been very remote and had a guy ask for a camping fee. Please don't expect to be alone a lot of the time, most of the roads go someplace. That's why the rust bucket is there.

Don't be overly paranoid about you rig. I have had 1 breakin in hundreds of trips south, it was about 15 years ago. I will park by the heads in Ensenada and leave it alone for hours, night and day not a problem. I know what you are doing is a bit out of the box for you, some of us do it all the time.
Go, Explore, Roll around Baja and Enjoy yourself.

Right on. All the extra encouragement helps. On expedition portal a girl responded today that they will be in Baja around same dates as me, just a bit earlier they will enter and offered to join them. And funny thing is that I've been to mexico 9 times in my life, just by plane and hotels and in safe zones...the lazy way... So yah if we can cooperate maybe I could tag to them right away after entering mexico the same day and just kinda hang out with them for a few days to get a sense of things.

Thats the thing, to some more veteran people I may sound like a scared kid. But then when i talk to people at home and offer them to come on some trips with me, everyone is scared to go into the woods or in this case dare to drive in a car to a developing country, or even just usa. Compare to them I'm just like the bravest guy! Compare to you I'm just a paranoid noob :)

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What MMc says.
Public beaches do have fee collectors but it may be just 100 pesos or $6.
In my trip reports are beaches and places where nobody is, primarily because only 4x4s can go there, so no fee collectors.
Here are some such places I camped like that in 2017:
Gulf side:
Shell Island
Gonzaga Bay (near Pta. Final)
Las Animas
Bahia San Rafael (2 places)
La Perla (sometimes no fee collected)

Pacific side:
Bahia Corbin
Dunes near Punta Lobos
Dunes of Salina El Datil

Plus countless desert locations.

Thanks. I've marked some locations and some I already had from Ioverlander

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 04:27 PM

How does it work there for making fires where you camp? are you allowed fully?
Are there generally enough fire making material on the beaches or you have to bring your own bundles of wood generally if you plan camp fires on beaches?
Can you buy bundles of wood at gas stations?

David K - 11-22-2017 at 04:30 PM

I just looked at ioverlander.com, see some edits needed... It is Bahía Santa María, not 'Santa Rosalia', lol!

I funny about accuracy in place names! :biggrin:

Edit: I just saw you asked about camp fires...

Yes, having a campfire is one of those special treats that make being outdoors special!
Having wood available is not always a sure thing... In towns, look for the word 'leña' which is firewood for sale.
I bring those artificial logs (a case from Costco is a good deal) and that is enough or (if I have any) I add real wood to it.
Taking wood into Mexico is not something the border guards will like seeing. You can stow-away clean wood inside your camper, perhaps.
In the boonies (not near any inhabited places), in arroyos (dry washes), you can find plenty of dead desert wood. Be sure to watch out for scorpions (and rattlesnakes) when collecting.
Enjoy...
Oh, if you happen to go to any of the many copper mines in Baja, grab some of the (green) rocks (ore) and toss into the fire after it has gotten really hot. In a few minutes, these "Magic" rocks (so named by Paulina) give off beautiful colors!

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by David K]

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 04:57 PM

Cool. Thats a good idea. Ill stock up on artificial logs just in case. Forgot they even exist :)

Some sources say that you should never give a bribe to a cop in mexico or like when you are stopped for nothing and being asked for money by a cop as you can go to jail.

Yet other sources say you can get beat up by a cop if you dont share some pesos even if you had no fault for being stopped.

What is more true for dealing with authorities?

David K - 11-22-2017 at 05:19 PM

Cool. Thats a good idea. Ill stock up on artificial logs just in case. Forgot they even exist :)

Some sources say that you should never give a bribe to a cop in mexico or like when you are stopped for nothing and being asked for money by a cop as you can go to jail.

Yet other sources say you can get beat up by a cop if you dont share some pesos even if you had no fault for being stopped.

What is more true for dealing with authorities?

More BS than reality!
MOST cops are nice, honest, and you will never need to worry about them.

While I have been pulled over, both because I did something wrong and when I know I didn't, the thing to do is NOT be in a hurry. Smile, act innocent, apologetic, etc. SMILE!

NEVER PAY a COP, bribe or otherwise. That just enforces their bad behavior... It was okay in the old days when $10-20 made life go by easily if you know you were wrong ("Can you pay the fine for me?", being the line).

1) If you didn't do anything wrong, for sure (and always come to a full stop, count to three, then move on, especially true in Tecate and Ciudad Constitucion, but not true in La Paz where stopping at stop signs might get you rear-ended!):
Insist on going to the station and see the 'judge'! Cops looking for easy money will try and wear you down with fear, saying the fine is hundreds of dollars and jail time... FALSE. Traffic fines are low in Mexico. Usually, a bad cop will tell you to follow him to the station but will stop along the way and return your license and you can go.

2) If you did do something wrong just be apologetic, explain this is your first trip to Mexico and you were confused, etc. All good cops I have met are compassionate and knowing the complications for tourist, may give you a warning.

Relax, drive carefully, and you may never have a police encounter. The highways often have ridiculously slow speed limits, such as 80 kph on straight, desert roads... but the Federal Highway Patrol has RADAR! I got tagged north of El Rosario on my last trip coming over a rise, cruising along not thinking I was faster than 60 (in a 50 zone). I was 66 (107 kph) per the radar gun... the cop was so nice, he let me see it work, I love Mexico!

GearIntoAdventure - 11-22-2017 at 05:47 PM

thanks!

There was a recommendation somewhere to photocopy all of your documentation and credit cards and your insurance and your car ownership and all that and to carry copies in the car while another set of copies on you and hide away your real stuff somewhere deep in the car.

Or better carry real stuff on you and hide away copies of everything in 2 places?

If you present some documentation to a cop that stops you, I would assume he would obviously need to see your real stuff not some photocopies, right?

Also I assume going 10km/h over a speed limit is also unofficially ok just like in usa or canada?

Oh and I guess last question before new ones arise :)
To get insurance where is better? discoverbaja or bajabound?
Is there a way I can insure online my total car value of all the mods? All i can tell is that if something happens all they would cover is just the cost of the car.

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]

David K - 11-22-2017 at 05:58 PM

thanks!

There was a recommendation somewhere to photocopy all of your documentation and credit cards and your insurance and your car ownership and all that and to carry copies in the car while another set of copies on you and hide away your real stuff somewhere deep in the car.

Or better carry real stuff on you and hide away copies of everything in 2 places?

If you present some documentation to a cop that stops you, I would assume he would obviously need to see your real stuff not some photocopies, right?

Also I assume going 10km/h over a speed limit is also unofficially ok just like in usa or canada?

You are overthinking it all, but that's okay. I keep a copy of by Baja Bound insurance in a secret spot in my camping gear, and I have my expired drivers license in my truck, as well. I have driven in Baja for 44 years (since I turned 16) and never had to surrender my license or have it taken from me. Of course, I don't hang out in cities, drink and drive, act too stupid. I primarily camp and use repeatedly two motels that are outstanding and inexpensive when I need a break from the tent or it is too late to set up camp: Baja Cactus Motel (El Rosario) and Hotel La Huerta (San Ignacio).

Paco Facullo - 11-22-2017 at 06:09 PM

David,

"I got tagged north of El Rosario on my last trip coming over a rise, cruising along not thinking I was faster than 60 (in a 50 zone). I was 66 (107 kph) per the radar gun... the cop was so nice, he let me see it work, I love Mexico! "

You left out an important part , How and where did you pay your ticket ?
Or did the Cop just give you a warning?

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2017 at 07:00 PM

David, If you have a problem driving the posted speed limits, I have a Jeep that I can loan to you!

MMc - 11-22-2017 at 07:08 PM

Gear, DK and I do Baja differently, He tends to drive and scout. I post up and stay in place for a week or more, both have there place. I don't know what your goals are, overland driving tends to be drive and post for a day or two than drive. I have friends that are in central America doing that now. I reason I see the landowners is I am there longer than a night.

I keep copies of my all my docs on the cloud, copies in the truck, with my personal stuff. If you need it and it's lost????

I prefer to see Baja from a micro level and less at a macro. I surf, fish, kayak while I am there, with walks and diving in the meantime. Most of Baja has roads going to fish camps or mines that are pretty good. If you go off road you will most likely be on your own, you will do just fine. There is usually firewood that you can find, but think about the environment. Most of us don't need a fire. If you are very remote and see light coming in from the ocean,put out your fire, you don't need the attention.

Baja is a safe place with some very bad guys playing around at times. If you put a target on yourself, somebody could pay attention to you.

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by MMc]

David K - 11-22-2017 at 07:19 PM

David,

"I got tagged north of El Rosario on my last trip coming over a rise, cruising along not thinking I was faster than 60 (in a 50 zone). I was 66 (107 kph) per the radar gun... the cop was so nice, he let me see it work, I love Mexico! "

You left out an important part , How and where did you pay your ticket ?
Or did the Cop just give you a warning?

It is all in my last trip report. I just wanted to reassure our new Nomad it is not a scary ordeal.

Paco Facullo - 11-22-2017 at 07:23 PM

One thing I want to emphasize is the roads.

Narrow two lanes and NO shoulders along with wicked pot holes.

Add BIG trucks & buses and it equals a serious reason to be vary cautious.

Do not speed TOO fast. Be careful and get there in one piece.
Enjoy the ride. It is beautiful.....

mtgoat666 - 11-22-2017 at 08:47 PM

Are there generally enough fire making material on the beaches or you have to bring your own bundles of wood generally if you plan camp fires on beaches?

Stop asking questions, and just go!

Crikey, you snowflakes ask too many questions!. My first road trip to Mexico was done with no guide book, no Internet forums (it was before al gore invented the web), no cell phones, no Siri, no Google, we just drove with a map and figured it out! :P

FYI,...
it often blows like snot, so don’t count on fires being relaxing... :lol:
December days are short, nights are long, so bring books... :O
In North, cold rains start in December, and come every couple weeks, more or less, so bring rain gear... :(
Bring warm clothes, December is cold... you might find it warmer to go overlanding in the Mojave, Death Valley, etc... :light:

Paco Facullo - 11-22-2017 at 09:01 PM

The Goat makes a vary valid point.

The spirit of adventure has been downsized to a point of Ad nauseam .

With TOO MUCH information people tend to overthink any situation.

This looks to be one of them...

mtgoat666 - 11-22-2017 at 09:46 PM

Well, he may just want to cover all the bases. He has been fed so much anti-Mexico travel BS by fake news and friends who knew freinds who had a nephew that knew someone that was hassled by a cop in Cabo.

Fake news?
Cabo, La Paz and TJ are war zones.
Just this week there were 2 murders in GN.
Sounds pretty real to me.

Paco Facullo - 11-22-2017 at 09:51 PM

From an article from another thread,

"The first 20 days of November 2017:

72 people have been assassinated , 60 men and 12 women, all presumed to be tied to organized crime. These murders have primarily taken place in La Paz and San Jose del Cabo."

And NO tourists were harmed in the process.......

BUT back in the O'l USA the stats will scare the heck out of most..

DON'T go the Mexico, you'll get killed !!!!

David K - 11-22-2017 at 10:11 PM

We were talking about cops shaking down tourists for false traffic violations. What were you two reading???

mtgoat666 - 11-22-2017 at 10:47 PM

What were you two reading???

The news.

mtgoat666 - 11-22-2017 at 11:40 PM

What were you two reading???

The news.

This place is called Baja Nomad.

Are you telling me that nomads should not read or mention the news? :?:

mtgoat666 - 11-23-2017 at 08:17 AM

You brought up narco crime murders which had 0 to do with the question being discussed; about bad cops asking for bribes (which he may have heard on TV).

The OP mentioned several times his fears, worries about traveling in Mexico. I think his fears, worries are based on more than just stories of cops asking for bribes

David K - 11-23-2017 at 08:54 AM

You should read his (Vic's) post that asked the question and not just my replies, I am trying to relax him, not stress him more with narco-gang violence news you are bringing up.

wilderone - 11-23-2017 at 10:12 AM

I camp in Baja California by myself and I'm a girl.
Most people who you want to caravan with will not be able to do so because they do not have a rig like yours that will be able to go where you want to go.
Do not camp anywhere between San Quintin and El Rosario (I'm talking about the coastline there). You do have a high profile vehicle and this is a drug running corridor.
The only wrinkle I see in your plan going solo and not having a lot of background on some of the routes to the coast, is that you might get stuck in deep sand, a flat or something of that nature, and you alone will need to get yourself unstuck. (One of those "what will I do if ...." scenarios).
Also, you say you have food for a month and no need to go into small towns, but you also need water.
Don't be paranoid or it will affect your trip. I do worry about my car whenever I go on a hike and it's out of sight, but 100% of the time nothing negative has occurred.
If you have the gizmos, you can always check in on this forum to ask questions along the way.
Don't be too hasty about finding only secluded, remote places - a lot of Baja charm is found on ranchos, villages, interacting with locals. Take a break from canned goods and enjoy the food.
The military checkpoints are for drugs and arms - most of the time they will not be asking to see immigration or vehicle documents.
If you're really worried, get a SPOT and check in daily with a couple people. Also, if you really need help, people on this forum will react.

TMW - 11-23-2017 at 11:29 AM

I strongly recommend getting a Spot or InReach or even a satellite phone. Send out a signal at regular intervals to those that know where you are going. At least one or two people on your list should be familiar with Baja.

Ken Cooke - 11-23-2017 at 09:44 PM

I am in touch with several Mexican 4x4 clubs and it's members. If you have a vehicular breakdown of some kind, let me know and I can direct you to my contacts that I have established over the years. I also agree that a Spot or a Satellite Phone is a great idea.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 01:39 AM

Gear, DK and I do Baja differently, He tends to drive and scout. I post up and stay in place for a week or more, both have there place. I don't know what your goals are, overland driving tends to be drive and post for a day or two than drive. I have friends that are in central America doing that now. I reason I see the landowners is I am there longer than a night.

I keep copies of my all my docs on the cloud, copies in the truck, with my personal stuff. If you need it and it's lost????

I prefer to see Baja from a micro level and less at a macro. I surf, fish, kayak while I am there, with walks and diving in the meantime. Most of Baja has roads going to fish camps or mines that are pretty good. If you go off road you will most likely be on your own, you will do just fine. There is usually firewood that you can find, but think about the environment. Most of us don't need a fire. If you are very remote and see light coming in from the ocean,put out your fire, you don't need the attention.

Baja is a safe place with some very bad guys playing around at times. If you put a target on yourself, somebody could pay attention to you.

thanks, noted about fires.
They way I overland is usually I just sleep a ta place, wake up, enjoy for few hours and keep on driving, offroading, shooting vids and flying drone when i'm not pressed with time to get somewhere in particular and just kind of triverse.....all day long somewhere. I like it. on my last 36 day overland trip (well first real overland trip) I only had 1 time stayed at a place for more than half a day on purpose. Other 2 days i was just camping because I was waiting for spare tire to arrive in shop in Moab before i could head out again coz i reaped one of the tires badly.

But for baja trip I didn't intended it to be very intense like my 30 offroad trails in 36 days across 3 states including crossing Mojave desert and crossing El Camino Del Diablo and doing Toroweap to Witmore to half done Kelly point in grand canyon.

So this time I do actually want to stick around on beaches and do some fishing.

Considering How i traveled those 36 days, I didn't have time for fire. It was more of arrive late, deploy, cook something up and watch a movie and sleep.
Also I didn't want to stink with fire considering I was taking showers only once a week as situation allowed when i had no people around for sure and could just shower out in the open.

So for camping trips I absolutely need campfires and no camping is camping without one but for overland journeys I can easily be without fire. In fact now that you made a point about light at night with fire or being also possibly seen from road a far... Maybe i shouldn't have have a fire when its dark.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 01:48 AM

Stop asking questions, and just go!

Crikey, you snowflakes ask too many questions!. My first road trip to Mexico was done with no guide book, no Internet forums (it was before al gore invented the web), no cell phones, no Siri, no Google, we just drove with a map and figured it out! :P

FYI,...
it often blows like snot, so don’t count on fires being relaxing... :lol:
December days are short, nights are long, so bring books... :O
In North, cold rains start in December, and come every couple weeks, more or less, so bring rain gear... :(
Bring warm clothes, December is cold... you might find it warmer to go overlanding in the Mojave, Death Valley, etc... :light:

eheh well my trip is still weeks away so i can ask questions :)
Thanks for tips on clothing but I kind of figured nights would be cold like any desert but at least days will be nice if no rain.
I tend to download lots of movies and tv series to catch up to in the evenings. Hard to focus on reading while beer sipping :)

Also I've been to mexico 9 times before. Just by plane and hotels.... Different kind of travel. It was always safe and I always loved mexican people and hospitality. But also those were hotel towns ina way, bubbles, cacoons of safety. I think 12 years ago on either my 2nd or 3rd trip I even went to mexican jail over night for a fight at a hotel that i didn't provoke. I'm peaceful guy and it takes effort to break my patience but when it does it does. But yah they let me go in the morning and i was back in the hotel. Mexican cells are cold and stinky :)

I'm just warred about the truck and attracting attention with it thats all. Before on my travels I didn't have a nice target on myself, I was just another dude walking around towns in peace and harmony.

Seems like on expedition portal I may have a tag along or tag to hookup with a couple on first couple of days. Will see if that solidifies. And on my facebook page a motorcycle guy seems to be interested to meet up in first days so will see if that turns out too.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 01:54 AM

You brought up narco crime murders which had 0 to do with the question being discussed; about bad cops asking for bribes (which he may have heard on TV).

The OP mentioned several times his fears, worries about traveling in Mexico. I think his fears, worries are based on more than just stories of cops asking for bribes

haha true. Cops asking for bribes is nothing REALLY to worry about in perspective.

Like i said in previous post. I've been to mexico 9 times before. I've been to other countries. I've driven a rental in costa rica.

I just never had my shiny damned rig in another country other than usa and that rig is all my savings now. It is my life and I'm worried for it and possibly some harm that may come because of it :) But well i'm starting to be at ease already.... reading you guys and other sources and also made up my mind and possibly going to hookup with couple of people. It will work out.

My own vehicle travel in developing country is just new thing for me and makes this type of travel very different from any travels from before.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 01:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I strongly recommend getting a Spot or InReach or even a satellite phone. Send out a signal at regular intervals to those that know where you are going. At least one or two people on your list should be familiar with Baja.

I got one. In fact i used it in Lockhart canyon being stuck in muddy sand in UTAH just end of this september on my last 36 day offroady trip across 3 states.

However just 10 min before local deputies arrived on ATV, i managed to finally winch myself out onto a dry patch of land and turn around. Felt stupid after :)
Still about 14 hours pasted since i got stuck and i didn't think I would manage to get myself out after trying and trying before sun went out so i called in the SOS. at least i know this stuff works now :)

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 02:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I camp in Baja California by myself and I'm a girl.
Most people who you want to caravan with will not be able to do so because they do not have a rig like yours that will be able to go where you want to go.
Do not camp anywhere between San Quintin and El Rosario (I'm talking about the coastline there). You do have a high profile vehicle and this is a drug running corridor.
The only wrinkle I see in your plan going solo and not having a lot of background on some of the routes to the coast, is that you might get stuck in deep sand, a flat or something of that nature, and you alone will need to get yourself unstuck. (One of those "what will I do if ...." scenarios).
Also, you say you have food for a month and no need to go into small towns, but you also need water.
Don't be paranoid or it will affect your trip. I do worry about my car whenever I go on a hike and it's out of sight, but 100% of the time nothing negative has occurred.
If you have the gizmos, you can always check in on this forum to ask questions along the way.
Don't be too hasty about finding only secluded, remote places - a lot of Baja charm is found on ranchos, villages, interacting with locals. Take a break from canned goods and enjoy the food.
The military checkpoints are for drugs and arms - most of the time they will not be asking to see immigration or vehicle documents.
If you're really worried, get a SPOT and check in daily with a couple people. Also, if you really need help, people on this forum will react.

Thanks for headsup on not camping between quintin and rosario. I've marked that stretch as no camp zone.

Yah i realize not all rigs may be wanting to go where i want to. Thats ok. Can hang out with people on a beach and stuff. Its all situational. Well Hopefully couple of potential tag along hookups will turn out and crystallize by the time of the trip.

There is always "what if" I've already been through some scary moments on my last 36 day trip and that kind of built up my guts a bit. Plus for this trip I'm waiting on shipment of land anchor just in case. Learned my mistakes already, will tread slowlier in future.

I got garmin inreach for remoteness but thats only good for text to phone or to facebook but I can't read what people write back on facebook. They need to upgrade that feature.

Well passing through towns for gas and water of course i wouldn't resist taking a snack in some restaruant or something to go :)

If you know any more locations on baja coast where I shouldn't camp let me know.

thanks

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 02:11 AM

I am in touch with several Mexican 4x4 clubs and it's members. If you have a vehicular breakdown of some kind, let me know and I can direct you to my contacts that I have established over the years. I also agree that a Spot or a Satellite Phone is a great idea.

Oh sweet. Its likely in most times i will only have connection through my inreach so can only send text msgs to civilization. My canadian roaming probably going to suck.
Maybe I could get your phone number for my inReach for just in case that breakdown happens?

Bob and Susan - 11-24-2017 at 12:17 PM

just so YOU know...

every Mexican has a cell phone

there is actually tv in just about every house

there is internet everywhere in baja

gas stations are ALL OVER the place

there are grocery stores everywhere

water is sold in bottles

fast food places

oxxo stores...like a 7-11

tire shops and mechanics

its not as deserted as you seem to believe

mtgoat666 - 11-24-2017 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
just so YOU know...

every Mexican has a cell phone

there is actually tv in just about every house

there is internet everywhere in baja

gas stations are ALL OVER the place

there are grocery stores everywhere

water is sold in bottles

fast food places

oxxo stores...like a 7-11

tire shops and mechanics

its not as deserted as you seem to believe

I have yet to find any GOOD Thai or Indian food.

While very Mexican may have a mobile phone, not every Mexican has reception on their phone :light: :!:

While you are seemingly impressed with their being lots of Oxxos, the truth is that the food in oxxos is mostly junk food sugar and fat, and their coffee stinks.

bajatrailrider - 11-24-2017 at 04:00 PM

Oh sweet. Its likely in most times i will only have connection through my inreach so can only send text msgs to civilization. My canadian roaming probably going to suck.
Maybe I could get your phone number for my inReach for just in case that breakdown happens?
PM me I'm local able to help stranded off road people also know every trail for a hundred miles or more out of Ensenada.:)

Bob and Susan - 11-24-2017 at 04:51 PM

While very Mexican may have a mobile phone, not every Mexican has reception on their phone...

the truth is that the food in oxxos is mostly junk food sugar and fat, and their coffee stinks.

phones work after payday...

oxxo has pretty good coffee...its brewed and they have milk for the coffee
coffee is good for roadtrips

Bob and Susan - 11-24-2017 at 04:54 PM

this guy is worried about his truck...

he should have seen the "chase trucks" last week
way more expensive and way better

if he gets the truck stolen it'll be in southern California not baja

he needs a travel companion like DavidK for his first trip

TMW - 11-24-2017 at 05:02 PM

I had my truck stolen in Baja, Jakes restaurant in Rosarito. Stock chevy 4x4.

Bob and Susan - 11-24-2017 at 05:05 PM

I hope you had insurance

that's what its for

did you have a tracker...like ...on star

I wonder how many cars per hour are taken in the Los Angeles
area ...answer 60

you are the exception

TMW - 11-24-2017 at 05:25 PM

I had insurance. I also got the truck back a week later.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 10:56 PM

That insurance unfortunately would only cover me the truck both in canada or in baja. It wouldn't cover my second truck thats the prices of the first truck thats built on top of my truck :)

Nah I'm not worried about my truck being stolen if i leave it parked unless those guys are real pros. I'm worried about the truck being taken from me while present :)

I'm sure everything will be just fine.
Only second time like this is when I'm worried about a trip. First one was this august before 36 days of potentuals of being stuck in remoteness alone but I got through that and built some balls for that.
2nd I just some of that sketchiness about mexico while in my truck.
In all my other travels by plane in different countries I've never even bothered to worry about going to those places since I had nothing to loos really and blended in with crowds walking about.

I know for sure my cell will suck since even in USA in some locations it wasn't great. But again there is always garmin for communication so its fine.

This reminds me of me and my buddy worrying initially before me and him were putting up our steel bumpers and both were thinking what if those bumpers get stolen. Untill both of us went through the process and weight of those things and came to conclusion that there is no need for melting bolts and do other nonsense because the amount of effort it would take someone to take that bumper - they would rather just spend it to take the whole car :)

GearIntoAdventure - 11-24-2017 at 11:10 PM

Could someone help me remember the name of some famous baja1000 restaurant/rancho somewhere out there in the middle of nowhere that serves as a good pitstop for drinks and has all the baja1000 swag and famous baja guy lives there and owns it. It's Mike's something I think.

EDIT:
Ah already found it. I knew I had it marked already. I was looking at google map on desktop and somehow half of my points of interest are always missing by on my phones i have eeverything. Its Mike's Sky Rancho

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]

mtgoat666 - 11-24-2017 at 11:34 PM

Could someone help me remember the name of some famous baja1000 restaurant/rancho somewhere out there in the middle of nowhere that serves as a good pitstop for drinks and has all the baja1000 swag and famous baja guy lives there and owns it. It's Mike's something I think.

EDIT:
Ah already found it. I knew I had it marked already. I was looking at google map on desktop and somehow half of my points of interest are always missing by on my phones i have eeverything. Its Mike's Sky Rancho

Mike’s may be snowed-in by time you get there :lol: I thought you were coming to baja for warmth and sun.

Baja1000 Swag? It’s just a bunch of cheap advertising stickers.

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by mtgoat666]

Hook - 11-25-2017 at 07:10 AM

This is an enjoyable thread. I hope you can separate the seed from the chaff. Even the usual naysayers are making good points.

I have none, as I havent driven the highway below Santa Rosalia in many years. Even 15 years ago, the drive between Ensenada and San Quintin became a pain in the arse, and has apparently only gotten worse.

If there are persons, here, who can direct you through Calexico/Mexicali and down that side of the peninsula, I think you would be quicker getting into terrain that you would enjoy. Of course, the caravan possibilities are probably less, but this thread should have let you know that traveling alone is really not a big danger.

What US cell phone company is your Canadian cell phone allied with?

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by Hook]

wilderone - 11-25-2017 at 08:27 AM

"the "chase trucks" last week
way more expensive and way better"
These people are usually travelling in groups. Remember the highway hijacking at gunpoint after a race a few years ago? Remember the shoot-out on Hwy 1 not that long go? The "pro" element is that he is able to get to places where the bad guys aren't; the "con" element is that he will stand out and it will be noticed that he is alone.
And not to raise alarm - just be aware of possible situations and avoid them. Maybe take some wasp spray just in case; I found a heavy big-rig tire wrench on the road once that I keep under the driver seat; alarms?; remote kill switch (is there such a thing); get VG insurance. Maybe lessen the worst-case scenario effect. That being said, I predict an awesome, trouble-free trip.

Paco Facullo - 11-25-2017 at 08:38 AM

Another not to miss famous pit stop would be Coco's corner...

mtgoat666 - 11-25-2017 at 10:37 AM

Another not to miss famous pit stop would be Coco's corner...

A dirty old man that leers at women and collects soiled womens underwear.
Never have understood the off-roader’s groupy-like attraction to that dirty old man.

Paco Facullo - 11-25-2017 at 01:45 PM

Regardless of anyone's viewpoint Coco's Corner has been around for 29 years .......
Way out, living alone in the dessert.

That has to stand for something.

Heck, don't cha think that if ANY guy was living THAT sort of life he would be a little off ?????

And for heaven's sake, he ain't hurt'n anyone.....

LukeJobbins - 11-27-2017 at 03:01 AM

As someone who has run the course shortly after the races in years past, I can tell you the road is severely torn up and my lighter low geared jeep had a few troubles in some spots. With your heavy truck I would download the gps race course notes and pay attention to the silt spots and rocks they mention. A lot of the silt or sand spots cars get stuck in are traveling minimum 40mph so with your heavy truck going slower you would for sure get stuck. Usually easily bypassed with just a few yards off the side but it’s just a warning. Last time I checked the notes were free to download. And solo is always best down there in my opinion. If you have a decent knowledge of your truck, flat tire plugs and valve stems, air compressor, winch or tow rope, and a warm jacket and you like tacos, you will be just fine.

bajatrailrider - 11-27-2017 at 08:48 AM

Best is to avoid all race routes in a heavy truck as no fun at 1 mph on slit rocks woops. Seek two tracks abandoned routes the locals know these routes. We even avoid race routes on our off road bikes best to explore new routes. I know many abandon routes contact me or David K as he knows many routes. We most always find nice routes by passing race track. As far as going off road solo after living here for years not a good choice for me.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-27-2017 at 07:05 PM

EDIT:

Mike’s may be snowed-in by time you get there :lol: I thought you were coming to baja for warmth and sun.

Baja1000 Swag? It’s just a bunch of cheap advertising stickers.

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by mtgoat666]

oh thats good to know there is actually snow out there. I thought its still nice and deserty but not snow. Maybe I will scratch that out then and stick to beaches

GearIntoAdventure - 11-27-2017 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
This is an enjoyable thread. I hope you can separate the seed from the chaff. Even the usual naysayers are making good points.

I have none, as I havent driven the highway below Santa Rosalia in many years. Even 15 years ago, the drive between Ensenada and San Quintin became a pain in the arse, and has apparently only gotten worse.

If there are persons, here, who can direct you through Calexico/Mexicali and down that side of the peninsula, I think you would be quicker getting into terrain that you would enjoy. Of course, the caravan possibilities are probably less, but this thread should have let you know that traveling alone is really not a big danger.

What US cell phone company is your Canadian cell phone allied with?

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by Hook]

Yah I'm sure its not all that bad, especially checking out some vloggers on youtube lately. And chit does happen everywhere. Just gotta be a bit more vigilant. The only thing that makes this a bit tougher is the language barrier. But in all my travels to mexico before i never had a single worry and everything was fine.

I actually use a roaming company for my trips to usa and it works for mexico. Its special service for canadians with their sim card that gives canadians easy abroad access to usa and mexico but its definitely not pure verizon lets say.
It's alright but i had some places where i didn't have singnal while some people around me in states did have (their usa pure providers)

GearIntoAdventure - 11-27-2017 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"the "chase trucks" last week
way more expensive and way better"
These people are usually travelling in groups. Remember the highway hijacking at gunpoint after a race a few years ago? Remember the shoot-out on Hwy 1 not that long go? The "pro" element is that he is able to get to places where the bad guys aren't; the "con" element is that he will stand out and it will be noticed that he is alone.
And not to raise alarm - just be aware of possible situations and avoid them. Maybe take some wasp spray just in case; I found a heavy big-rig tire wrench on the road once that I keep under the driver seat; alarms?; remote kill switch (is there such a thing); get VG insurance. Maybe lessen the worst-case scenario effect. That being said, I predict an awesome, trouble-free trip.

Yes I'm planning on bringing my bear spray just in case and my knife and to have it on my belt this time around when im out there. Well hopefully usa or mexico customs dont confiscate the bear spray. Ill hide it well somewhere in truck. But on way out of mexico I will throw it out so as not to complicate possible entry to usa later as im sure i will be searched coming back from mexico. I did get searched 3 times coming from mexico in the past by plane.
Maybe my russian last name gave some ideas...
Its gonna be great. There is mild chance still that my father may change his mind and join me on trip but very small chance. I keep convincing him but he is in 65s and well needs his creature comforts. I even told him ok fine every 2-3 days lets stop in hotel not just in boonies so you can have your showers and stuff but noooo...... :)

woody with a view - 11-27-2017 at 07:19 PM

You dont need any self defense devices. As soon as you assault your attacker the rules change and you are guilty.

GearIntoAdventure - 11-27-2017 at 07:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
As someone who has run the course shortly after the races in years past, I can tell you the road is severely torn up and my lighter low geared jeep had a few troubles in some spots. With your heavy truck I would download the gps race course notes and pay attention to the silt spots and rocks they mention. A lot of the silt or sand spots cars get stuck in are traveling minimum 40mph so with your heavy truck going slower you would for sure get stuck. Usually easily bypassed with just a few yards off the side but it’s just a warning. Last time I checked the notes were free to download. And solo is always best down there in my opinion. If you have a decent knowledge of your truck, flat tire plugs and valve stems, air compressor, winch or tow rope, and a warm jacket and you like tacos, you will be just fine.

Advice taken. But there is certain charm at crawling through boonies and some obstacles challenges. There aren't many offroad places out there that can last for 100s of miles with barely any civilization around and baja is still it. Chilling at the beaches is fine but for that I didn't need to build up my truck or continue building. You can hop any stock truck and just go.
My thing is offroading. Hopefully not too much challange but just enough. When its too much it just sucks in those moments but thats the stuff you remember later for a long long time. Some lessons learned from past trip so I;ll be more cariful.

On my last trip I've gone through 3 repairable tire punctures. 1 fully reaped tire. Snapped tire carrier bolt. a bent door slightly, a bent roofrack, lots of scratches :) Offroad i dont worry about so much. Plus in a week my land anchor will arrive and new set of tires from my current worn out ones.
https://youtu.be/66q3L41OwBk

del mar - 11-27-2017 at 07:57 PM

cool video!:yes:

bajatrailrider - 11-27-2017 at 07:57 PM

On snow at Mikes I can count on one finger how many times it snowed there. Nothing to worry about as not long lasting.

BAJA TRIP LEAVING DEC. 27

WINDYNITE - 12-26-2017 at 07:53 PM

VIC,
I HAVE BEEN DOWN SEVERAL TIMES ALONE IN MY SATURN VUE WITH A POP UP TENT ON TOP. READY TO GO, AGAIN. I AM IN LONG BEACH TODAY BUT COULD LEAVE TOMORROW.

BajaBlanca - 12-26-2017 at 09:39 PM

This really is an interesting thread!

Be sure to write us a trip report when you come back.