BajaNomad

crossing the border...please read!

Anonymous - 2-23-2005 at 03:45 PM

I have a friend who wants to come visit me in TJ...but she's on probation in the states. Can you tell me what happens when you cross the border back into the states? Will they run her license through a database, or will they just look at it to verify that she's a US citizen? What happens when you cross into TJ? Do they check the license there? She will bring nothing to declare, and will be staying less than 7 days.

Thanks for any advice!!

elgatoloco - 2-23-2005 at 03:52 PM

She should ask her probation officer what the rules are.

actually...

Anonymous - 2-23-2005 at 04:01 PM

We already know what the rules are...what we want to know is what happens when you cross the border, both into and out of Mexico...what is the procedure?

MrBillM - 2-23-2005 at 04:08 PM

Go for the gusto. What's life without risks ?

elgatoloco - 2-23-2005 at 04:14 PM

Going into Mexico you get a red light or a green light. If it's green keep going, if it's red pull over and show what your bringing in.

On the way out a camera takes a photo of your auto license and it is run thru a database and then the officer may want to see your picture ID and may or may not type that into the computer and it is run thru a database that shows............??? , maybe you should hook up in San Diego? You can get some package deals at the local hotels with passes to SeaWorld, Wild Animal Park, Legoland, etc. Plus the weather here has been beautiful!

Would I be wrong if I guessed that the rules are that a person on probation is NOT allowed to leave the country?

Risk vs. Reward. Kind of like golf. Only more danger.

I almost forgot, the US is now taking a photo of the auto license on the way out as well. Not REALLY sure where all this info goes. We have SENTRI passes now so we use a different lane to exit Mexico.

Be safe and have fun!

bajaloco - 2-23-2005 at 04:19 PM

Yeah...The worst that could happen is that probation is revoked and she faces the original charges...Sounds like it's worth a trip to TJ to me.:lol::lol:

You already know the rules?

DanO - 2-23-2005 at 04:23 PM

Well, based on that response, it would appear that you already know that leaving the country -- i.e., the jurisdiction of the court that issued your friend's probation order -- is a probation violation. It also appears that you don't have any intention of informing her P.O. or seeking permission. And you want the posters on this board to help you figure out whether to roll the dice, break the law and subject her to jail time? Sorry, but no. She's already broken the law once, and she should have the good judgment not to do it again.

what do if...

Anonymous - 2-23-2005 at 04:34 PM

what do they do if they cross back on foot? they aren't gonna have license plates on their butts, LOL!

DanO~
If you feel uncomfortable answering this question, then don't!

She knows the risk she's taking if she goes...she's trying to decide if she wants to take that risk or not...I just want her to know what happens at the border so that she can make an informed decision.

Is he nuts?......

Debra - 2-23-2005 at 04:35 PM

Seems like a no brainer to me....:no:

elgatoloco - 2-23-2005 at 04:39 PM

When you cross on foot they take your driver's license and they type it in a computer and.................?

I would be willing to act as her coyote...

Hook - 2-23-2005 at 04:51 PM

...for a modest fee.

I will take her out by Jacumba and let her off in the desert. She can then cross in the open desert and you can pick her up on the other side and take her to your "safehouse".

I hear this works pretty good, although MY government doesn't have any handouts teaching it and MY president doesn't actually encourage it.

We are a very backwards country in some ways. :lol:

[Edited on 2-23-2005 by Hook]

David K - 2-23-2005 at 04:58 PM

Is this a joke? The rules of her probation are known. She can certainly ask her probation officer for permission to take a trip to Baja. If the PO says no, then it is no.

To answer the question as to what happens when you cross the frontier:

Driving/walking into Mex. there is no probation check by Mexico, usually no stop either.

Returning to U.S. by car you are asked citizenship and sometimes for a photo ID, you are not asked if anyone is on probation.

Returning by foot all photo IDs are visually checked... U.S. customs probably does not care about people on probation, unless it is for terrorism!:lol:

Hello? Hello? Anyone home?

yankeeirishman - 2-23-2005 at 06:04 PM

Most people violating the law figures they never get caught. Then they are caught. Sitting in a tidy little cell with great scenery, the violator thinks: how stupid it was to break the law ?! So now on probation after staying at the big house, the ex-violator is thinking; a lovely vacation in Baja, I won?t get caught. Don?t be stupid twice! Hello? Hello? Anyone home?

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by yankeeirishman]

Dave - 2-23-2005 at 06:24 PM

Tell your friend she has a 50/50 shot of getting caught. Either she will, or won't.

If that don't do the trick then she probably doesn't deserve to be on probation.;D

This is life, not a game of Monopoly.

DanO - 2-23-2005 at 07:00 PM

Anon, it's not that I'm uncomfortable answering the question, it's that I can't understand why your friend would take on even a slight risk of revocation of her probation and time in jail, particularly when it appears you are able to visit her stateside (you haven't denied this). Maybe I'm more risk averse than most, but from the previous posts, it appears that others share my view (with varying degrees of humor). However, since you are hell bent on knowing what actually happens at the border and I'm a sucker for a Google search, here's a quote from the CBP 2004 Annual Report. Basically, they now have the technology to ID anyone whose prints are in the nationwide criminal databases (that's everybody, not just those with outstanding warrants). That would include your friend. Frankly, I think you need a week in California or a videocall setup on your computer. Over and out, and here's the quote:

"Officers made 1,451 apprehensions, over 17 percent of the national total, for outstanding state and federal warrants including individuals wanted for murder, rape, robbery and theft, up from 597 the previous year. The upward surge was due in part to full implementation of several biometric technologies such as the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS) and the Biometric Validation System (BVS). IAFIS enables CBP officers and Border Patrol agents to search fingerprint databases simultaneously using the Automated Biometric Identification System (IDENT) and the FBI fingerprint database. It provides rapid identification of individuals with outstanding criminal warrants by electronically comparing a live-scanned fingerprint with a huge nationwide database of previously captured fingerprints. BVS is useful to verify the identity of travelers using laser visa documents. The expansion of a specialized team of officers dedicated to the identification and processing of individuals with outstanding warrants or parole violations also added to the increase in total apprehensions."

and what if the computer shows a warrant or something?

BajaVida - 2-23-2005 at 10:39 PM

sometimes the computer records are wrong

she could be arrested and then have a real headache on her hands

most California felony probation terms prohibit probationers from leaving the county of probation without the WRITTEN permission of the probation officer

I wonder if they would authorize an out of country trip? probably depends on how good she has been on probation

David K - 2-23-2005 at 11:02 PM

Actually, it is probably not at all possible for an adult on probation to leave the country... I just wanted her to hear her PO laugh his head off when she asks!!!:lol::lol::lol:

JEEZ

bajadave1 - 2-24-2005 at 06:37 AM

I really hate to quote the old Robert Blake line from Baretta, but.....
"Don't do the crime, unless you can do the time"! No permission, no cross.:no:

Bruce R Leech - 2-24-2005 at 06:58 AM

can you Imagen the look on the faces of the Mexicans when they see people in enter tubes crossing the river going the wrong way?

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

say what?

Anonymous - 2-24-2005 at 08:52 AM

What's an inter tub ?

Oh...

yankeeirishman - 2-24-2005 at 01:03 PM

We all (I assume) would like to hear back from you, about the success of your happy vacation.

say what part 2 ?

Anonymous - 2-24-2005 at 01:41 PM

I guess you are trying Bruce, enter tubes???Are you trying to say inner tubes?????????????????????????

Sharksbaja - 2-24-2005 at 01:48 PM

everyone knows that inner tubes are for tires and enter tubes are for immigrating....:lol:

Crossing North

MrBillM - 2-24-2005 at 04:17 PM

As a last resort, you can always go East and climb through the fence in the Rio Grande Valley. According to a TV news article last night, the Border Patrol picks you up and takes you to the nearest Bus Station where you can go anywhere that you'd like. Because of overcrowding, they are not detaining ANY non-mexicans.