BajaNomad

Alcohol Etilico 95%

Alm - 12-5-2017 at 09:52 AM

15 oz bottle, 14 pesos. Bought it for external use and for cleaning - less corrosive than acetone, not toxic like denaturated alcohol (and cheaper).

The label says - Do not sell to children, do not dilute, do not drink.

Jokes aside - why "do not drink"? 70% rubbing alcohol contains additives, this one doesn't - at least the label doesn't mention any.

"Do not dilute" makes some sense - not much. It does heat up a little when mixed with water, but at this volume this is hardly a danger.

carlosg - 12-5-2017 at 10:16 AM

Alcohol Etilico POTABLE:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung&...

We used to have ALCOHOL PURO DE CAÑA poured into Café de Olla (freshly ground coffee beans boiled with pieces of cinnamon and a bit of unrefined brown sugar "piloncillo") during the night around the fire at my uncle's ranch at the bottom edge of El Volcan de Colima (sugar cane country) and in the early (dark) morning we would head to the cow barn and drink Toros Prietos: warm, freshly milked cow juice directly into a big glass with previously added crushed Chocolate Ibarra, unrifend brown sugar and a modest (++) serving of Alcohol Puro de Caña... some would add a raw egg and beat it up inside the glass... that was our day breaker....!!! 😚 😁 🤣 🤓

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by carlosg]

AKgringo - 12-5-2017 at 10:29 AM

Carlos, at least one of your emojis appears to be throwing up, and another one thinking about it!

carlosg - 12-5-2017 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Carlos, at least one of your emojis appears to be throwing up, and another one thinking about it!

NOPE...!!! just salivating and and thinking about past good'ol days...

mtgoat666 - 12-5-2017 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
15 oz bottle, 14 pesos. Bought it for external use and for cleaning - less corrosive than acetone, not toxic like denaturated alcohol (and cheaper).

The label says - Do not sell to children, do not dilute, do not drink.

Jokes aside - why "do not drink"? 70% rubbing alcohol contains additives, this one doesn't - at least the label doesn't mention any.

"Do not dilute" makes some sense - not much. It does heat up a little when mixed with water, but at this volume this is hardly a danger.

Isopropyl alcohol is a poison
Ethyl alcohol is the type in drinking spirits

If you are shopping clean products aisle at supermarket for a cheap drunk, you got problems.

rdrrm8e - 12-5-2017 at 12:14 PM

Apples Ethyl Alcohol

Oranges Methyl Alcohol.

Don't consume the oranges

John Harper - 12-5-2017 at 12:41 PM

70% rubbing alcohol contains additives, this one doesn't - at least the label doesn't mention any.

Do not drink rubbing alcohol, unless you want to die or go blind.

Ethanol is grain alcohol, big difference than methyl alcohol. Big difference.

John

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by John Harper]

Alm - 12-5-2017 at 12:53 PM

Yes, it was in the cleaning products isle.
No, I was not shopping for a cheap drink, see post #1: "Bought it for external use and for cleaning".

It seems that most members responded to their own ideas on intended use of this bottle... Doesn't surprise me much after years of being here, however, the question remains: is there anything that makes this Etilico alcohol unsafe for human consumption.

Edit - PS: Wrote it before - it is not Isopropyl Alcohol, or Methyl Alcohol, or rubbing alcohol. It is Alcohol Etilico, i.e. Ethanol. From all I know, it is not different from alcohol in drinks, so the warning "No debe beber se" looks odd to me.

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by Alm]

mtgoat666 - 12-5-2017 at 01:08 PM

Yes, it was in the cleaning products isle.

No, I was not shopping for a cheap drink, see post #1: "Bought it for external use and for cleaning".

It seems that most members responded to their own ideas on how this bottle should be used... Doesn't surprise me much after years of being here, but the question remains: is there anything that makes this Etilico alcohol unsafe for human consumption.

Edit - PS: Wrote it before - it is not Isopropyl Alcohol, or Methyl Alcohol, or rubbing alcohol. It is Alcohol Etilico, i.e. Ethanol.

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by Alm]

It was not produced and sold for consumption. Do you trust the label? Do you trust the manufacturer? Why don’t you just drink it and see what happens?

willardguy - 12-5-2017 at 01:10 PM

I bet by the "not for drinking" disclaimer there is no liquor tax, a reason its so inexpensive?

Alm - 12-5-2017 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Do you trust the label? Do you trust the manufacturer?

No, I don't trust labels in Mexico. That's why I asked. My bad, sorry :)

del mar - 12-5-2017 at 01:22 PM

I don't know but...the huge liquor store in mercado hidalgo (TJ) has tons of this stuff on the shelves, someone somewhere is using the heck out of it for something!

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by del mar]

Alm - 12-5-2017 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
I don't know but...the huge liquor store in mercado hidalgo (TJ) has tons of this stuff on the shelves,

Might not be the same thing. What I bought in the cleaning isle, looks like this:.

My take on it is that it is identical - chemically - to Ethanol in whiskey, only the manufacturer doesn't comply/guarantee same standards of cleanliness, pipes, bottles etc. Like water from the tap and water from RO place. If there were any additives or different composition, I wouldn't want it for external use. Ex, you don't want Methanol to get in wounds and scratches - will disinfect but could do some harm too, it's all in the balance. In a pinch, gasoline would disinfect deep scratches too.

Marc - 12-5-2017 at 06:11 PM

I'll stay with AquaVelva.

[Edited on 12-6-2017 by Marc]

Alm - 12-7-2017 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
I'll stay with AquaVelva.

... and will smell like a perfumes store, whatever you are using it for.

The bottle was not purchased for consumption. Presence of additives and/or different chemical composition would make it less suitable for external use - still suitable for cleaning - and this was what I've been trying to find - if there is anything there making it different from potable Ethanol. I.e., if there is any reasoning behind the warning "No debe beberse". Failed attempt, wrong place I guess. Roger and out.