BajaNomad

Money Exchange near Mexicali East (heading south)

bajarich - 12-12-2017 at 04:10 PM

Is there a money exchange at the Mexicali east crossing, or do I need to drive over to Calexico?
We will be driving from Yuma.

AKgringo - 12-12-2017 at 04:39 PM

I have an account with Wells Fargo, and for convenience, I get my first supply of Pesos there before I hit the road. Depending on how much you want to exchange, you may want to call ahead to see how much Mexican currency they have on hand.

I usually don't carry a large amount of cash, and depended on ATMs and banks to refresh my supply. Last year that got kind of dicey in Mulege and Loreto, with both plastic and greenbacks being declined!

Edit; I am pretty sure that it is not necessary to have an account to exchange money. I have also used them to get Canadian currency at the other end of my journey.

[Edited on 12-13-2017 by AKgringo]

Bob and Susan - 12-12-2017 at 06:07 PM

there is about .75 points difference between north of the border cambios and south of the border cambios

so exchange in the usa

currently DO NOT depend on ATM's for pesos from your northern bank account

if you get too many pesos you can ALWAYS exchange them back when you return to the border

bkbend - 12-12-2017 at 06:34 PM

After you get across the border you will come to a T junction. Take a left and after 1/2 mile or so you will see businesses lining the road with some casa de cambios sprinkled in.

bajarich - 12-12-2017 at 09:33 PM

Is there nothing north of the border at the east entrance?

freediverbrian - 12-12-2017 at 10:34 PM

I have not seen a cambio north of the boarder before the east entrance, it is more of a commercial entry not much for the turist .

Bob and Susan - 12-13-2017 at 05:39 AM

looks to me like there is a whole lot north of the border...

just make sure its a "no commission" exchange for the best rate

calix.jpg - 84kB

ehall - 12-13-2017 at 07:15 AM

That's the west crossing. East has none that I have seen.

bajarich - 12-13-2017 at 01:51 PM

Thanks, It looks like Calexico is our best bet as well as easiest entry to go south on Hwy 5. We will be in Algodonas for dental work and could cross there, but no money exchange. There is one on the Algodonas side, but i don't know if it has commission and what the rate is. We'll check it out.

thebajarunner - 12-13-2017 at 04:54 PM

ATM!!!

There are a group of banks on the main highway through town, about 3 miles or so south of the border.
Easy, efficient, correct exchange rate.

Money changers are in the business of making money,
why pay them when you can get it done seamlessly at the ATM???

I am talking in Mexicali, not on the Gringo side.

[Edited on 12-13-2017 by thebajarunner]

David K - 12-13-2017 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
ATM!!!

There are a group of banks on the main highway through town, about 3 miles or so south of the border.
Easy, efficient, correct exchange rate.

Money changers are in the business of making money,
why pay them when you can get it done seamlessly at the ATM???

I am talking in Mexicali, not on the Gringo side.

[Edited on 12-13-2017 by thebajarunner]

My only fear of waiting until I am in Mexico to get pesos is: The ATM won't take my card for whatever reason, or the ATM swallows my card and the bank people cannot get it out.

Maybe that's just me, but I would rather cross into Mexico all relaxed with my pesos... Can you imagine the mess it would cause to lose my card and not have enough dollars for the vacation (because dollars are still accepted) and then have to turn around and get into the border line!??