BajaNomad

Roku Streaming via TelMex Internet Modem in BCS?

Mula - 12-21-2017 at 04:18 AM

I have heard streaming Netflix, Amazon, etc. is possible in BCS via a land line TelMex Internet modem connected to your TV.

I find it hard to believe this is possible with the basic 399 Pesos per month package.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rogbag - 12-21-2017 at 07:47 AM

My wife watches Netflix everyday thru her Wii game on the TV and direct on her IPad. And I listen to music at the same time on my laptop. It is 389 pesos per month. Through the Telmex supplied router.
On the beach in Los Barriles, BCS.
Life is good.

mtnpop - 12-21-2017 at 07:53 AM

Not a problem in Mulege, the $389 plan has a 10mg download speed.
We used a slingbox stream for years and could still be on the computer or phone...
Hard for folks to believe that internet in Mx. is actually that good..
Several neighbors use Roku or Apple very well...

chuckie - 12-21-2017 at 07:55 AM

Worked for me in Loma Azul..

weebray - 12-21-2017 at 08:30 AM

Just remember that Telmex's dsl is a shared asset, oversubscribed by at least 20X. Streaming sucks the plug off the wall. If you are near the source (central distribution point) your service will be much better than if you are far away. Just ask the residents of La Ventana. The more people that catch on to this idea the peor the service will be. This fact is only part of a very complex network but basically you may want to keep this one in your pants.

DaliDali - 12-21-2017 at 11:29 AM

In Loreto.....basic Telmex internet...

Netflix takes a moment to load up, but once it does, it's fine.
No pixel flickers.......no blackouts.......just the program.

Chup - 12-21-2017 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Just remember that Telmex's dsl is a shared asset, oversubscribed by at least 20X. Streaming sucks the plug off the wall. If you are near the source (central distribution point) your service will be much better than if you are far away. Just ask the residents of La Ventana. The more people that catch on to this idea the peor the service will be. This fact is only part of a very complex network but basically you may want to keep this one in your pants.

Actually, DSL isn't a shared asset; cable is. DSL will degrade the further you are from the switch, while cable will degrade with more and more users sharing the same pipe.

weebray - 12-22-2017 at 09:46 AM

Mea culpa. Good point but the argument is valid.