BajaNomad

Hanging from Bridges in BCS

Cancamo - 12-21-2017 at 10:41 AM

These guys are getting real bold. Last week Los Cabos Police chief was killed, now this. Up till this point, a terror statement used in other states, as far as I know it's a first here in BCS. Already have doubled the murder rate from last year, now over 400.
So sad, wasn't long ago people didn't even lock their doors in neighborhoods of La Paz. Now business in S.Jose Viejo, Zacatal, Santa Rosa are shuttering with the downturn of business and the anticipated future prospect of extortion. Restaurants are complaining that the vast majority of tourist are in all inclusive resorts, not dining out, much less leaving the hotels. The EMS services are complaining of all the additional work load beyond the usual road accidents, house calls, responding daily now to grisly scenes.
Need an Emilio Zapata type patriot to step up and face this, the people would be behind it, need a leader with real big cajones that can't be bought.

www.peninsulardigital.com/extra/rojo-amanacer/234325

BajaNaranja - 12-21-2017 at 11:45 AM

More from Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-violence/six-bodie...

4x4abc - 12-21-2017 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  

So sad, wasn't long ago people didn't even lock their doors in neighborhoods of La Paz.

that must have been very very long ago. I have been living in La Paz since 2003. Doors locked or not - thieves have been coming on a regular basis to "borrow" my stuff. Not even a high walls kept them away.
Only a couple of fierce dogs brought quieter times.

Rainer - 12-21-2017 at 12:04 PM

big cajones???

Cancamo - 12-21-2017 at 12:38 PM

20/30 years is not a long time ago in perspective. I remember walking all over the town and everyone had their front doors wide open, often people sat on their front porch in the evening, a city of peace it was.

Bad spelling, cojones, (balls).

measomsan - 12-21-2017 at 01:02 PM

This is truly sad indeed. I lived eight years on the cape and never worried. Sure we locked houses, built walls and kept our eyes open. But I always knew the day would come when the Costco bridge would have a body there swinging. My locals friends there are really getting hurt by these chit heads. They don't understand that visitors don't come, their business dries up

chuckie - 12-21-2017 at 01:27 PM

The number of murders is a fairly new thing, for sure..BUT getting robbed or having things stolen in Baja certainly isn't. I have been victimized in: Mulege, Cabo San lucas,, San Ignacio (twice), Hiway Check points, South end of Concepcion bay (three times),Santa Inez, and likely other places that I have forgotten about. I was held up and robbed at gunpoint in San Carlos on the "other side". Most of these incidents were reported to the Police, who generally shrugged and explained politely why they couldn't do anything about it. I paid about 100 bucks to get a police report on one of them that was big enough to file an insurance claim on. At isolated locations I stopped locking my vehicles to save the cost of glass and body damage. This occurred over the 30+ years I hung out in Baja. It got steadily worse during the last 10 or so. It is what it is, folks..and WILL get worse...OH I almost forgot being cuffed and extorted by Army guys after they planted ammo in my car...

Howard - 12-21-2017 at 01:52 PM

Jeez Chuckie, remind me not to hang out with you! :biggrin:

paranewbi - 12-21-2017 at 02:08 PM

Over 100,000 miles driving through Mex, Baja and Central America since early 70's. 50,000 with my wife. Surfed during the Reagan wars in Nicaragua and El Salvador. Had ONE bad experience when 3 guys wanted to rape my wife in the middle of the night and got stabbed through the hand when fighting them off...they ran, we kept going on. Police, locals and all other travelers met were just plain outright awesome in all places and over all time, including 3 trips on Mainland last year. Reading Chuckie's accounts tells me a lot about Chuckie.

chuckie - 12-21-2017 at 02:53 PM

Chu wan tuff hombre newbi!

LancairDriver - 12-21-2017 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Over 100,000 miles driving through Mex, Baja and Central America since early 70's. 50,000 with my wife. Surfed during the Reagan wars in Nicaragua and El Salvador. Had ONE bad experience when 3 guys wanted to rape my wife in the middle of the night and got stabbed through the hand when fighting them off...they ran, we kept going on. Police, locals and all other travelers met were just plain outright awesome in all places and over all time, including 3 trips on Mainland last year. Reading Chuckie's accounts tells me a lot about Chuckie.

So what you are saying is that you have been lucky. Chuckles accounts indicate he has been unlucky. Maybe you should make regular trips to Vegas.

TMW - 12-21-2017 at 03:02 PM

I guess I've been pretty lucky compared to Chuckie. I've had my trucks broken into a couple of times and a truck stolen. It all happened 25 years ago or more, nothing recently thank god. We did have some small garden type statues stolen from in front of our new house here in Bako last year.

From Mexico News Deily

GypsyJan - 12-21-2017 at 07:11 PM

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/bodies-of-six-found-hanging...

Lee - 12-22-2017 at 12:58 AM

Wonder if these were bad guys and had it coming? Sometimes it’s wrong place wrong time. Baja isn’t for everyone.

paranewbi - 12-22-2017 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

So what you are saying is that you have been lucky. Chuckles accounts indicate he has been unlucky. Maybe you should make regular trips to Vegas.

Never have worshiped at the altar of luck. Started 'paying it ahead' in my early teens by working in orphanages in TJ, Ensenada, Mexicali. Kept some humbleness in all my travels. Here's a thought; you get in life what you give.
Rolling the dice in ignorance and arrogance is a game of chance best not played. I'll let others relate their experiences of doing so as some have done in this thread. Unlucky? what a stupid concept, but then again 'stupid is as stupid does'.

JZ - 12-22-2017 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
The number of murders is a fairly new thing, for sure..BUT getting robbed or having things stolen in Baja certainly isn't. I have been victimized in: Mulege, Cabo San lucas,, San Ignacio (twice), Hiway Check points, South end of Concepcion bay (three times),Santa Inez, and likely other places that I have forgotten about. I was held up and robbed at gunpoint in San Carlos on the "other side". Most of these incidents were reported to the Police, who generally shrugged and explained politely why they couldn't do anything about it. I paid about 100 bucks to get a police report on one of them that was big enough to file an insurance claim on. At isolated locations I stopped locking my vehicles to save the cost of glass and body damage. This occurred over the 30+ years I hung out in Baja. It got steadily worse during the last 10 or so. It is what it is, folks..and WILL get worse...OH I almost forgot being cuffed and extorted by Army guys after they planted ammo in my car...

I don't believe a word you type on here. Just a blow hard looking for attention.

[Edited on 12-22-2017 by JZ]

chuckie - 12-22-2017 at 07:48 AM

Thank you for your input JZ!

pacificobob - 12-22-2017 at 08:06 AM

YES! very dangerous! get out while your heads are still attached! return north where violence is all but unknown in American cities.

Oh boy, violence closing in!

caj13 - 12-22-2017 at 08:13 AM

4 bodies hanging from overpasses near los cabos international, 2 more near La Paz. The fact that it is "syndicate Violence" doesn't go a long way toward alieviating my angst.

woody with a view - 12-22-2017 at 08:23 AM

old news.

btw, when you strap on your boots and walk out of the house in the morning you assume a certain amount of risk. don't let life keep you indoors!

caj13 - 12-22-2017 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
old news.

btw, when you strap on your boots and walk out of the house in the morning you assume a certain amount of risk. don't let life keep you indoors!

I fully understand accepting risk, been very aware of that for a long time, working internationally in some pretty sketchy areas for the past 30 years. had a couple of instances where we were directed out of an area turn by turn over the drivers headset, from some mysterious voice from the sky- so been there, done that!

Old meaning? this was just this morning! or just in general that the violence is closing in.

The old standard refrain was , "just drug violence not in tourist areas",
then they started killing people in cancun etc, and baja people said "not in Baja"

then they started killing people in Baja, and people said - "not in tourist areas ex Pat areas are"
then they started killing people in Cabo and La Paz - so whats the fall back excuse now?
is it going to magically stop before it spereads to Ensanada, san felipe, Mulege, Los Barilles, BOLA etc?

bajaguy - 12-22-2017 at 08:38 AM

Nope, already there. Not just about dope anymore.........

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
is it going to magically stop before it spereads to Ensanada, san felipe, Mulege, Los Barilles, BOLA etc?

DaliDali - 12-22-2017 at 09:27 AM

In the last 90 days....even in sleepy Loreto there have been a dozen or so murders/assassinations.

Cancamo - 12-22-2017 at 10:08 AM

Original post was just an effort to bring to light the growing common occurrence of violent murders brought on by the cartels battle for power in previously peaceful and laid back BCS. AND the pressing need for someone/something to face the problem sooner than later. "El Mencho", leader of El Nuevo Generacion, makes previous cartel heads look like Boy Scouts. His tactics are well documented in other states, and their desire to control the Sinaloa cartel's turf. Now that Chapo is in behind bars in the US, they are now in our previously peaceful state sowing terror. Just yesterday I heard a first hand account of extortion.

Had nothing to say about petty theft and other minor crimes. Having lived in BCS over many years and traveled most of this Republic, as well as all of Central America, and most of South America, I concur with newbi. Fortunate or karma, I've never been broken into, never been held up. Did get bag stolen in Buenos Aires bus station, it could have happened anywhere.
Anyplace where poverty is a birthright, education is limited, and corruption is the norm it breeds apathy and hopelessness, hence the attitude of take it before someone else does.

No one tolerates thievery, but to my original point, no one lives in peace when multiple murders are a daily occurrence.

Cancamo - 12-22-2017 at 10:26 AM

Seven more last night, one in a bag, El Tule bridge, S. Lucas, three in Santa Rosa, three in Zacatal. (These are the known incidents)

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Seven more last night, one in a bag, El Tule bridge, S. Lucas, three in Santa Rosa, three in Zacatal. (These are the known incidents)

It's thoughtful of them to put the bodies in bags. It doesn't frighten the children, and it makes it easier to clean up the crime scene

micah202 - 12-22-2017 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
In the last 90 days....even in sleepy Loreto there have been a dozen or so murders/assassinations.

...wowww,, that's sad to hear. :wow::o

...or are you referring to pigs and chickens!? :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 12-22-2017 by micah202]

tiotomasbcs - 12-22-2017 at 11:12 AM

I wouldn't come South of the border!? In LA 20 yrs ago I was worried for my ageing parents. Hopefully the power/control of bcs gets settled, soon. It's not like people are living in fear; just living with eyes open. :o:o Tio

micah202 - 12-22-2017 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
I wouldn't come South of the border!? In LA 20 yrs ago I was worried for my ageing parents. Hopefully the power/control of bcs gets settled, soon. It's not like people are living in fear; just living with eyes open. :o:o Tio

yah,, i'm always more scared driving through eLay than anything SOB. :wow:

elgatoloco - 12-22-2017 at 02:23 PM

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/the-brutal-ris...

chuckie - 12-22-2017 at 03:22 PM

Good read..Anyone who doesn't think this is a serious problem is a fool..

woody with a view - 12-22-2017 at 08:03 PM

Policeman puts on his uniform
Gotta have a gun just to keep him warm
Because violence here is the social norm
You gotta humanize yourself

aguachico - 12-22-2017 at 08:36 PM

blah blah blah blah blah from gringolandia.
don't worry. narcos don't bother gringos.
that don't bother narcos.

ginrgos spend way too much money in narco owned business's

nuf said. move along.

chuckie - 12-22-2017 at 08:47 PM

Lot of us have....

LancairDriver - 12-22-2017 at 09:34 PM

What’s going on with these victims hanging from the overpasses. Do they just sit around waiting to get picked off? If they are serious competitors in the business where is their defensive firepower? Maybe they need to hire the former Blackwater gang and put up a respectable battle.

chuckie - 12-23-2017 at 07:26 AM

Who is going to get the Blackwater guys out of prison? You?

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2017 at 08:38 AM

Donald trump. Blackwater guy is go-between with Putin. All the Putin crowd got blackmail on trump, trump is their marionette, our Manchurian president.

Barry A. - 12-23-2017 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Donald trump. Blackwater guy is go-between with Putin. All the Putin crowd got blackmail on trump, trump is their marionette, our Manchurian president.

That will be the day!!!! (desperate lefty rants by the Goat) LOL

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2017 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

That will be the day!!!! (desperate lefty rants by the Goat) LOL

You fools on the right have been duped. Trump is compromised, he is just a dunce puppet of nefarious special interests. John Kelly is the sole person in the admin with moral fiber, he is what keeps the puppet masters from running rampant over trump.

motoged - 12-23-2017 at 09:57 AM

[Edited on 12-24-2017 by motoged]

[Edited on 12-24-2017 by motoged]

LancairDriver - 12-23-2017 at 10:55 AM

You of all people, having been around Baja since the earth cooled,should know there are more than enough pesos floating around that business to keep everyone out of prison.

chuckie - 12-23-2017 at 11:13 AM

I think you are mostly right....What we need to do is get Chapo out, and have him be the cooler on this mess.....

LancairDriver - 12-23-2017 at 12:20 PM

El Chapo could probably restore some semblance of order. Often it is best to leave a tyrant in charge. As long as the US can’t control the domestic drug use that is the cause of this carnage in Mexico, the lucrative market will be there. Not unlike the chaos in the Middle East and Europe caused when we removed Sadam and Gaddafi.

AKgringo - 12-23-2017 at 01:06 PM

While the production and shipping of drugs to a US market has, and will be worth fighting for, I strongly suspect that the increase in violence is due to a surge in domestic addiction!

While it is possible that you could be caught in the middle of their turf wars, you are more likely to be a victim of one of their customers needing to turn your stuff into cash.

[Edited on 12-23-2017 by AKgringo]

measomsan - 12-23-2017 at 08:21 PM

In the 1800's the railroads were built in Mx as well as US. The people who built both railroads ran drugs from Mx to the US. So this drug running began with the coolies. Easy and good read out there.

Today the cartel run a lot more than drugs. But that has nothing to do with what is going on in Los Cabos. That is a turf battle for land in Mx.

Lived there eight years, two different houses. Know many families there and worry about them. Will be there after the first of the year. Hope this chit settles down at some point

chuckie - 12-23-2017 at 09:22 PM

Not for LANd, for TERRITORY....

TMW - 12-23-2017 at 09:42 PM

Well someone is killing somebody over something.

elgatoloco - 12-24-2017 at 11:04 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/mexico-s-...

:O:(

chuckie - 12-24-2017 at 12:43 PM

Another good read! BUT! Theres no problem, eh?

BajaTed - 12-24-2017 at 01:57 PM

This modus operandi is nothing new and it worked succesfully for the Arrellano brothers around the year 2005 in TJ. When the army tried to establish a base of operations in the canyon park, the cartel guys would take a poor recruit and dismember the body and hang it from the bridge for the Otay cut off. Drove past that scenario more than once with the wife curled up on the back seat floor. This is why my new truck is Sinaloa blue, cowboy up and enjoy the ride while it lasts

chuckie - 12-24-2017 at 03:26 PM

Gee It's good to hear its not a new thing!

gringorio - 12-24-2017 at 09:13 PM

Please provide a link to this assertion, some factual evidence. No alternative "facts".

[Edited on 12-25-2017 by gringorio]

joerover - 12-24-2017 at 10:18 PM

Who are those guys in TJ screaming at the top of their lungs
QUANTOS, QUANTOS, QUANTOS?

People keep handing them money, for a little tiny lump of something.

Barry A. - 12-24-2017 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  

Please provide a link to this assertion, some factual evidence. No alternative "facts".

My son and his wife actually saw 2 murder victims lying on the streets on their short walk from their Hotel in San Jose del Cabo a couple of months ago. Things are grim, and they never plan on returning to Mexico-----it's just chilling to the fun they went down for and expected.

jol - 12-26-2017 at 06:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  

hi

I too wanted to find some corroboration

this i found from jan2017 stats for the month

Quote:

The dispute that originally began in La Paz, first extended to Comondú and Mulegé, and currently lives in Loreto and Los Cabos. Only from the first to January 29, 2017 -according to a report prepared by this means, and based on a case-by-case count-49 people have been violently executed in Baja California Sur, distributed as follows: 1.- 31 in Los Cabos. 2.- 11 in La Paz. 3.- 5 in Loreto. 4.- 1 in Comondú. 5.- 1 in Mulegé.

from http://metropolimx.com/reportajes/141/nuevo-record-en-bcs-12...

Best wishes to Beautiful Baja from UK btw

[Edited on 12-26-2017 by jol]

Cancamo - 1-7-2018 at 09:08 AM

At this rate 2018 will shatter 2017 record.
Friday, three killed, one injured in Playita, (Puerto Los Cabos). Last night State Police and Marines were attacked by a group of sicarios, (assassins), in vado Santa Rosa, SJD. Although one marine was injured, the military won killing four.
Two well known local older folks were found "sin vida" in the last few days, one in SJD, one in LP. Local women are in the casualty list now. This is a change from the usual victim being a male 19-23 year old with origins in Sinaloa, Guerero, or Michoacan.
The war rages on in 2018 with an average of 3 murders a day in BCS.

You won't read about this in the Gringo Gazette or Cabo Living. These are four local sources where you can inform yourself;
El Sudcalifornio, Colectivo Pericue, BCS Noticias, Penninsular Digital
All daily online publications.

chuckie - 1-7-2018 at 10:08 AM

Need longer bridges...

Cancamo - 1-25-2018 at 10:18 AM

Good News!

Hate to speak too soon, but ever since the marines took out seven assassins, (that wore body armor and had assault rifles), the daily two or three murders a day have slowed to most days now, none.
This is assuming that all the news fit to print is in the four local newspapers I scan daily.

We can only hope these guys aren't replaced. I suspect they were causing most of the murders. Very few survived after being attacked by the hitmen.

BajaTed - 1-25-2018 at 10:45 AM

A donation to the local chamber of commerce would be appropriate for their hiring of someone from a competing cartel to do the job of the local police that didn't want to die.
Baja abounds with some many colors, but underneath the surface is some much of the color Gray.
Give me a La Salina margarita and I'll get better.