BajaNomad

La Paz Malecon

Ricardo - 12-23-2017 at 08:30 AM

Anyone know how well the new construction on La Paz's Malecon is progressing, A picture would be nice.
Thanks rick

4x4abc - 12-23-2017 at 12:20 PM

looks very nice, clean and inviting

weebray - 12-23-2017 at 12:51 PM

They're plugging along. Promise to finish for Carnival. I was standing there the other day gazing at the huge cracks in the days old slab. I commented about it to an albanil. He said: "That's for the next administration to deal with in six years". Basically this is an undisguised case of corporate welfare. Follow the money. Who owns the contracting company? "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as.......................................

4x4abc - 12-23-2017 at 01:31 PM

like all concrete construction around La Paz - it is done by clueless companies and clueless workers.
Concrete and rebar live in harmony together when the rebar gets its proper place. Few know where that is.
Concrete can take tremendous pressure, but no pulling or bending force.
Steel bars (rebar) deform under pressure, but can take amazing pulling loads and bending forces.
Combined they can be a dream team.

I saw when they positioned the rebar on the Malecon and thought "Give it a week and the concrete will crack"

SunDevil - 12-24-2017 at 08:25 AM

When I was there in Nov the malecon was still pretty torn up. It was not easy to get around on foot or by car. Many businesses were behind temporary fencing and not easy to get to.

It is not easy to imagine that much has changed in one month but I haven't been there so can't say for sure.

[Edited on 12-24-2017 by SunDevil]

Fernweh - 12-24-2017 at 09:24 AM

Not finished yet completely, but open everywhere for business and/or foot traffic....looks nice

David K - 12-24-2017 at 10:24 AM

Was this construction all after my visit in August?

Ricardo - 12-24-2017 at 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
Merry Christmas everyone. Minus 23 C here.
Rick

Lee - 12-24-2017 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ricardo  
Anyone know how well the new construction on La Paz's Malecon is progressing, A picture would be nice.
Thanks rick

Construction is ongoing and has been for years. There is always something needing repair. Like the hole I skidded into when my bike hit some water. Look where you ride and walk in Mx.

weebray - 12-24-2017 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Was this construction all after my visit in August?

Si

mxracer50 - 12-26-2017 at 06:45 AM

I was there 2 weeks ago and it was still a mess, street blocked off and no parking anywhere.

Fernweh - 12-26-2017 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Not finished yet completely, but open everywhere for business and/or foot traffic....looks nice

Hmmm, I was there yesterday.....

David K - 12-26-2017 at 08:32 AM

This is where (and why) photos would be nice!

Ricardo - 12-26-2017 at 12:34 PM

I think I'll go with Fernweh's post, as noted he was there yesterday. LOL
Thanks Rick

drzura - 12-26-2017 at 05:35 PM

Is this where the police were shot and killed by the narcos?

Ricardo - 12-26-2017 at 06:00 PM

Yes some were shot in La Paz, it's happened before and will likely happen again, just like every other city. I don't feel in danger but I am careful and I love La Paz too much not to go. I'll be there Jan 6th and loving it.

Fernweh - 12-29-2017 at 07:36 AM

Ok my friends,
I picked up a tourista with a camera, and asked her to shoot along the Malecon......just pictures, while heading out for breakfast.
So please enjoy the latest ones, sorry David, no maps here.:D

TMW - 12-29-2017 at 01:26 PM

Thanks Karl, I wish I was there. In the second pixs it looks like the Los Arcos hotel, is it still closed? I miss staying there.

Ricardo - 12-29-2017 at 07:22 PM

Thank you very very much, Pictures really do tell the story best.

BajaBlanca - 12-30-2017 at 11:38 AM

Great photos! We are going to spend the month of Feb. in La Paz! those pics are so inviting.

My mom will be going for the first time - we are READY!

weebray - 12-30-2017 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Thanks Karl, I wish I was there. In the second pixs it looks like the Los Arcos hotel, is it still closed? I miss staying there.

Sadly yes. Every now and then there are rumors but nada. Strike going on 10 yrs. now. This summer a judge ruled the Cabanas were a separate business. They started cleaning up for awhile. As part of the cleanup they started to cut down all the trees on Rosales to prevent entry to the property. Fortunately a huge protest stopped the machete's. Meanwhile at GUM, the municipal pool, they did a facelift on the building and installed plastic seating and rubber mats. There were three huge old shade trees in front of the building. When the photographer showed up to take a photo of the new building he complained he could not take a photo with those trees in the way. They took a machete to them. I guess he Photoshopped the stumps out. BTW the rubber mats became landfill about 2 mo. later.

chuckie - 12-30-2017 at 05:02 PM

Es Mexico! Que no?

Ricardo - 1-8-2018 at 09:35 AM

Arrived Sat, checked out the Malecon, it's not finished but looks great