BajaNomad

Peso to the $ and price of gas AND CURRENT ATM PESO WITHDRAWAL

Howard - 12-23-2017 at 02:14 PM

Not meant as a statement, just want to pass on current information.

I filled up my boat today in Loreto and used my Chase credit card. The exchange rate came out to 19.43 pesos to the dollar. The price of Magna was 16.82 pesos per liter which comes out to 3.28 a gallon at that exchange rate. Normally I do not us my credit card but I am a frequent flyer mileage hoar (funny it automatically changes it to this spelling as I guess the proper spelling should be added to George Carlins 7 dirty words list!) and the boat took to much gas to pass on those miles! :biggrin:

By the way, diesel was listed at 17.77 a liter which would come out to $3.46 a gallon. Only Pemex's in town, no other brands yet.

[Edited on 12-23-2017 by Howard]

[Edited on 12-23-2017 by Howard]

[Edited on 12-26-2017 by Howard]

Hook - 12-23-2017 at 08:16 PM

Outside of maybe CA, that is still pretty expensive for both gas and diesel in the US. That's over a dollar a gallon more than gas in Arizona and the diesel is about 70 cents a gallon more than in AZ.

No wonder US companies are so motivated to sell their products in Mexico. So little competition, they can charge what they want. Talk about a rigged pricing structure. Fuel is supposed to be sold at market prices............yet it mimics the subsidized price of Pemex fuel.

bajaguy - 12-23-2017 at 08:21 PM

Diesel in Baja (norte) is about the same price as SoCal, $3.50 a gallon....it is $1.00 less a gallon in Az (Yuma)

surfhat - 12-24-2017 at 12:48 PM

Jerry Browns gas tax xxxxxxx, gee thanks Gov. Moonbeam.

The mounting opposition to this in the coming year should rightly demand it be repealed.

Shoot. I try to stay away from any political opinions. Please forgive my rare instance of commenting on a spectrum that I don't come here for. Ever.

Thanks to all here.

mtgoat666 - 12-24-2017 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Jerry Browns gas tax xxxxxxx, gee thanks Gov. Moonbeam.

The mounting opposition to this in the coming year should rightly demand it be repealed.

Shoot. I try to stay away from any political opinions. Please forgive my rare instance of commenting on a spectrum that I don't come here for. Ever.

Thanks to all here.

While I detest california’s High taxes, the gas tax I do support. It directly pays for road and bridge improvements, and in this case the increased tax is needed.
The anti-tax complainers are clueless complainers. The anti-tax complainers seem to think that roads and bridges grow on trees and appear in their neighborhoods for free.
It makes perfect sense that users pay according to use, and if you are paying lots of gas tax, then you are obviously a high user of roads and bridges.
Most business groups support the tax.
You whiners can all go pound sand!

If you want to fix California taxes, then what you need do is get rid of prop 13, so property tax is equally-applied tax on all property owners according to their property value, then work on decreasing the income tax rate.

[Edited on 12-24-2017 by mtgoat666]

woody with a view - 12-24-2017 at 01:19 PM

goat, you are stupid,

if prop 13 gets rolled back how much will rents increase exponentially?

the increase in gas tax is $5BILLION/YEAR which gets placed on the poor equally on the rich. all to fund a supertrain that nobody will ride to keep it solvent.

mtgoat666 - 12-24-2017 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
goat, you are stupid,

the increase in gas tax is $5BILLION/YEAR which gets placed on the poor equally on the rich. all to fund a supertrain that nobody will ride to keep it solvent.

Roads are funded by gas tax
High speed rail is not funded by gas tax
Get your facts straight

DaliDali - 12-24-2017 at 02:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
goat, you are stupid,

Get your facts straight

Wealthy people can afford the high gas prices......
The poorfolk can't.
Why do you want to screw over poor people?

aguachico - 12-24-2017 at 03:04 PM

California gas tax SB1- is designated to fix the roads.

Tax and spend Californians easily forget about the already high tax we are paying.... that was supposed to be used to fix the roads and infrastructure. As well as our high vehicle registration fee.

Ca has lost previous propositions to keep the dirty handed politicians out of the gas tax fund, but politicians are elected thieves. p i n c h e - r a t a s.

They stole the money anyways.

SB1 is the result of liberal lunatic government run amok.
The lunacy ca be seen now that diesel is high then premium, when 6 weeks ago it was lower than regular.

So commercial transport costs go up. Guess you pays for it?

mtgoat666 - 12-24-2017 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
goat, you are stupid,

Get your facts straight

The poorfolk can't.

When it comes to income tax, I am all for progressive taxation.

It is appropriate that heavy users, gas-hog (read heavier vehicles) and high-mileage users pay more for roads.
People feeling pinch of tax can drive less, or drive more gas-economical cars.
I notice the cheapest cars on market are also get super high mpg :light:

chuckie - 12-24-2017 at 03:51 PM

I don't go to California.....or Chicago

woody with a view - 12-24-2017 at 06:54 PM

Goat, you are wrong.

No time to prove it....

Merry Christmas!

gsbotanico - 12-25-2017 at 11:15 AM

I'm a native Californian. I've watched for decades as the gas tax monies have been diverted into other areas. It's why our highways and bridges are in such bad shape.

I'm not convinced that this most recent gas tax hike will be used for what has been promised. With the huge unfunded pension obligation, estimated by Stanford University at around $500 billion, there is little hope the money will be used as promised. The legislature will find a way to move the money around.

The CalPERS pension board knows the problem and is slowly raising yearly payments by cities, counties, and state. It's not fast enough, but a faster increase would bankrupt these public entities. Unless the courts step in to allow pension benefit reductions, we in California are in for a rough ride.

mtgoat666 - 12-25-2017 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
I'm a native Californian. I've watched for decades as the gas tax monies have been diverted into other areas. It's why our highways and bridges are in such bad shape.

I'm not convinced that this most recent gas tax hike will be used for what has been promised. With the huge unfunded pension obligation, estimated by Stanford University at around $500 billion, there is little hope the money will be used as promised. The legislature will find a way to move the money around.

The CalPERS pension board knows the problem and is slowly raising yearly payments by cities, counties, and state. It's not fast enough, but a faster increase would bankrupt these public entities. Unless the courts step in to allow pension benefit reductions, we in California are in for a rough ride.

Re govt pensions,.... if pvt industry can slash pensions, so can govt. Govt workers aren’t sacred cows, and they should take a bullet like everyone in pvt industry did over past 3 decades.

Put them ALL on 401ks.

DaliDali - 12-25-2017 at 12:05 PM

goat, you are stupid,

Get your facts straight

The poorfolk can't.

It is appropriate that heavy users, gas-hog (read heavier vehicles) and high-mileage users pay more for roads.

In CA...there just might be enough funds to go around for a pothole or two that can be repaired....

IF....CA could just slash HALF the $30 BILLION BUCKS a year on the care and feeding of people who jumped the fence.

AND.....a train that costs BILLIONS...tearing up farmlands

ncampion - 12-25-2017 at 04:12 PM

Good job Howard, see how a simple post about the cost of gas can turn into a political rant! And David K didn't say a thing!

David K - 12-25-2017 at 06:11 PM

A thing.

bajabuddha - 12-25-2017 at 08:23 PM

FISH ON ! ! ! ! !

(... if you bait it, it will bite... :lol: )

[Edited on 12-26-2017 by bajabuddha]

woody with a view - 12-26-2017 at 08:25 AM

goat, you are stupid,

Get your facts straight

The poorfolk can't.

In CA...there just might be enough funds to go around for a pothole or two that can be repaired....

IF....CA could just slash HALF the $30 BILLION BUCKS a year on the care and feeding of people who jumped the fence.

Goat, I see you quoted something and then realized the error of your thinking! Don't take my word for it, read up from Univ of Bing:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=ca+gas+tax+diverted&form=I...

Udo - 12-26-2017 at 09:27 AM

There has been lots of press on the California gas tax. Yes, I am in Ensenada, but one of my TVs is connected to the Los Angeles TV stations, and there are a lot of ways that Gov.Brown plans to divert the gasoline tax away from fixing roads.
I think that is why there is a movement to repeal the gas tax.

mtgoat666 - 12-26-2017 at 09:44 AM

goat, you are stupid,

Get your facts straight

The poorfolk can't.

Goat, I see you quoted something and then realized the error of your thinking! Don't take my word for it, read up from Univ of Bing:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=ca+gas+tax+diverted&form=I...

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet!

It is amusing to find someone who uses Bing :lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 12-26-2017 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
There has been lots of press on the California gas tax. Yes, I am in Ensenada, but one of my TVs is connected to the Los Angeles TV stations, and there are a lot of ways that Gov.Brown plans to divert the gasoline tax away from fixing roads.
I think that is why there is a movement to repeal the gas tax.

Why aren’t you connected to South Dakota TV stations? :?:

If you watched less Fox your brain would have less misinformation :light:

chuckie - 12-26-2017 at 10:16 AM

This pointless discussion keeps coming up...Gas prices in Mexico are what they are as is the exchange rate...Live with it...And the other? People who live in California deserve what they get...Move if you cant handle it...

bajaguy - 12-26-2017 at 10:21 AM

Thank you for cutting to the chase............

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
This pointless discussion keeps coming up...Gas prices in Mexico are what they are as is the exchange rate...Live with it...And the other? People who live in California deserve what they get...Move if you cant handle it...

willardguy - 12-26-2017 at 10:31 AM

then again as Howard said....

"Not meant as a statement, just want to pass on current information."

:rolleyes:

Howard - 12-26-2017 at 10:51 AM

I wonder what would happen if I had a new post that stated;
Water is wet
The sky is up
Does a bear poop in the woods

Wonder what would that thread turn into from the peanut gallery?

This could be a first, no maps or missions in the conversation! Come on David, give me something! :biggrin:

del mar - 12-26-2017 at 10:58 AM

so jerry brown doesn't have anything to do with the price of gasoline in mexico? :o

bajaguy - 12-26-2017 at 11:36 AM

Welcome to California..........

Water is dry
The sky is down
Bears do not poop

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I wonder what would happen if I had a new post that stated;
Water is wet
The sky is up
Does a bear poop in the woods

Wonder what would that thread turn into from the peanut gallery?

This could be a first, no maps or missions in the conversation! Come on David, give me something! :biggrin:

woody with a view - 12-26-2017 at 11:36 AM

Goat, its a work computer running IE and i cant make changes. Google will have the same articles on page one.

This should really get some of you lonely people all excited

Howard - 12-26-2017 at 04:19 PM

Here you go, something to argue about.

ATM withdrawal at the Lays market in Loreto today came to 19.38 pesos to the U.S. $.

Boy, if this isn't something to fight about, what is? :biggrin:

Go at it!

[Edited on 12-26-2017 by Howard]

chuckie - 12-26-2017 at 05:19 PM

I went to the ATM this morning and withdrew 400 dollars.

BajaMama - 12-28-2017 at 07:52 AM

I kinda see Goat's point. Prior to 2010, the house I live in had an annual assessed property tax of $800. We bought the house 2010, our property tax is more than $10K. My neighbors pay $800, I pay more than 10 times that. There has to be a better way to make it more equitable. I certainly don't get any more goods and services than my neighbors do, who have lived in the house since before prop 13.

John Harper - 12-28-2017 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I kinda see Goat's point. Prior to 2010, the house I live in had an annual assessed property tax of $800. We bought the house 2010, our property tax is more than $10K. My neighbors pay $800, I pay more than 10 times that. There has to be a better way to make it more equitable. I certainly don't get any more goods and services than my neighbors do, who have lived in the house since before prop 13.

Is it fair that your neighbors pay more taxes just because the market rates of homes sold around them is higher? They have not profited from the increased values, as they have not sold. Also, the law allows the assessed value to go up each year, just not at inflated rates due to market conditions.

When they bought their house, it was presumably at market rate for the day, as was the price you paid in 2010. How can that be reconciled?

I do believe commercial properties should have a system of upwards assessment, so corporations don't evade taxes using loopholes. Commercial property values should closely reflect current market rates IMHO.

John

[Edited on 12-28-2017 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 12-28-2017 at 08:55 AM

Would be more equitable if everyone paid same rate, same cost basis. If we got rid of prop 13, the lazy people that haven’t moved in a while would pay their fair share for funding govt, and you would be able to pay less than you do now.

Prop 13 is bad tax policy.

But old people are the biggest voting block, and old people are the prop 13 beneficiaries, so politicians won’t touch the issue

Is it right that you neighbor is using same or more govt services, and paying much lower taxes than you?
No!

woody with a view - 12-28-2017 at 09:22 AM

It’s life.
Life aint fair.
Get over it.

sancho - 12-28-2017 at 02:03 PM

The Casa Cambios at San Ysidro on 12/23 was 19.005 per
dll. to buy pesos. OP posts 19.43 at Loreto ATM, is that in the
3% + range using an ATM? That is if one has a card that reimburses ATM fee

Bob and Susan - 12-28-2017 at 02:09 PM

with atm fees today... 19.01

7000 peso limit

Hook - 12-29-2017 at 07:23 AM

It’s life.
Life aint fair.
Get over it.

Is this a Donald Trump quote?

bajaguy - 12-29-2017 at 08:04 AM

Nope, the real world............

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
It’s life.
Life aint fair.
Get over it.

Is this a Donald Trump quote?

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2017 at 08:35 AM

Peso likely to continue to lose value as long as trump is president and he continues his anti-Mexico policies and tweets.
But peso will rebound quickly as soon as it becomes clear that trump will be impeached or have to resign for his crimes, or if he has a stroke/coronary due to his obesity and poor diet.

So, don’t buy pesos yet, likely to get better exchange rate over next few months,... but as soon as tide turns against the short-fingered vulgar man-child, buy pesos quickly!

Udo - 12-29-2017 at 09:56 AM

Is prop 13 applicable to those of us who live in Mexico?

This forum is about Baja, thus the term BAJANOMAD.

Would be more equitable if everyone paid same rate, same cost basis. If we got rid of prop 13, the lazy people that haven’t moved in a while would pay their fair share for funding govt, and you would be able to pay less than you do now.

But old people are the biggest voting block, and old people are the prop 13 beneficiaries, so politicians won’t touch the issue

Is it right that you neighbor is using same or more govt services, and paying much lower taxes than you?
No!

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2017 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Is prop 13 applicable to those of us who live in Mexico?

This forum is about Baja, thus the term BAJANOMAD.

No!

Sometimes conversations drift. Started out talking peso and gasoline price, drifted to California gasoline taxes, and prop 13.
Uno, I think prop 13 affects you, as you maintain a presence in so cal, eh?

willardguy - 12-29-2017 at 10:26 AM

buzzel n bill n goat all spouting off this morning! is the OT closed on fridays? :?:

bezzell - 12-29-2017 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
buzzel n bill n goat all spouting off this morning! is the OT closed on fridays? :?:

nope, but obviously the soup kitchen is ;)

chuckie - 12-30-2017 at 07:42 AM

:lol: