BajaNomad

Santo Tomas BCN - just far enough but not too far.

aguachico - 12-24-2017 at 08:05 AM

I stopped burning gas chasing tuna in November. I need to get my kayak fishing back on track and wanted rock fish for winter soups. So I revisited Santo Tomas 4 times over the past two months.

Sam runs a great resort right on the tip. The grounds are managed by Cesar who is extremely nice and helpful.

I like making the run leaving Tijuana around 0330. This gets me to the dirt road at grey light. Without any issues, I can be on the water by 0800-0900.

The facilities offers boat ramp launch, secure parking, showers and bathrooms. Sam has cabins and camping plots. prices ranging from $10-$55.

The 15 mile road is very rocky and the switch backs are narrow. This weeds out the faint of heart. If you go, ring the bell to alert someone you are at the gate. To make reservations, the site link s below.

http://www.puertosantotomas.com/index.html

BTW: there's no cell signal, There's a SAT wifi router that can be accessed for a fee, but I like being disconnected for a day.

Marc - 12-24-2017 at 08:21 AM

Looks good for a mid summer getaway.

David K - 12-24-2017 at 09:56 AM

Thank you for the report. I turned around at La Bocana (which was looking deserted) after taking some photos. Nice web page.

TMW - 12-24-2017 at 01:04 PM

The Squarecircle and I stayed there last Spring and the people were nice and friendly, the beds were good but the shower was a Dibble so we skipped using it. I didn't go looking for help so it may have been more our fault in not asking why. We had a great view.

redhilltown - 12-27-2017 at 12:49 AM

Thanks for the report! Just not to scare people away, the switchbacks are just tight turns and not true switchbacks and you have to be careful for traffic and buses from the farms bringing the workers back and forth. The road is usually in fair to good condition all the way to the turn off to Punta China/La Bocana and then the remainder to Sam's past the Gomez properties can get pretty rough. It is a fantastic weekend getaway spot for anyone in Southern California and some very good bottom fishing to boot!

David K - 12-27-2017 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
Thanks for the report! Just not to scare people away, the switchbacks are just tight turns and not true switchbacks and you have to be careful for traffic and buses from the farms bringing the workers back and forth. The road is usually in fair to good condition all the way to the turn off to Punta China/La Bocana and then the remainder to Sam's past the Gomez properties can get pretty rough. It is a fantastic weekend getaway spot for anyone in Southern California and some very good bottom fishing to boot!

Yes, it is an excellent graded dirt road easily driven in any vehicle. It is just the many blind curves that are the concern as the road hugs the side of the mountain, but there are no steep hill climbs. I may have been lucky last October, as the road seemed to be freshly graded:

La Bocana (de Arroyo Santo Tomás):

The beach at La Bocana:

redhilltown - 12-27-2017 at 10:42 AM

Great pics of the road David. It really is a pleasant drive down to the coast. If the attachments work, here is a pic of Sam's resort and a view from Casa Grande #1.

view santo tomas.jpg - 115kBvillagebestview2.JPG - 181kB

willardguy - 12-27-2017 at 11:02 AM

we always let ourselves in but man that chain is getting heavy! :(

bezzell - 12-27-2017 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
we always let ourselves in but man that chain is getting heavy! :(

do what the BajaNomad Offroad crew do ... carry bolt-cutters. Problem solved.

cliffh - 12-28-2017 at 04:11 PM

Great pics., could you get in with 34ft 5th wheel? thanks Cliff

BajaBlanca - 12-28-2017 at 04:28 PM

First photos I have ever seen of the "other" La Bocana! What a spot way up there on the mountain.

redhilltown - 12-28-2017 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cliffh  
Great pics., could you get in with 34ft 5th wheel? thanks Cliff

Well I think you could make it easily to La Bocana...as there are large buses for the farm workers and large trucks for the cement plant at Punta China that use this route. As to making the right hand turn and heading past the Gomez properties to Puerto Santo Tomas I am not so sure...then again, there is a fish camp that they trailer pangas in and out of.

castone001 - 1-7-2018 at 03:35 PM

will need to cheek this out

Tioloco - 1-8-2018 at 09:05 AM

cliffh-
YES. the road is easy. Just take it slow and no worries at all.

Udo - 1-8-2018 at 09:15 AM

I live fairly close to there. I have always gone North toward Santo Tomas. I'll have to try the Southern route soon! ( I have heard that there was a clandestine tequila distillery just below La Bocana).

vllnwth - 1-9-2018 at 11:40 AM

My brothers and I have been going to PST at least twice a year since 2005. We go there to play music and relax and we acquire seafood from the resident fisherman. When we first started going, there were many visitors, but by 2007 we were practically the only ones there. Sad that so many people let their fears get the better of them.

Here's a link to some still shots of PST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj1CE56siAE&t=76s

And my channel that has many scenes of PST:
https://www.youtube.com/user/vllnwth

DanO - 1-9-2018 at 02:05 PM

I was down at La Bocana over New Years and it was the quietest it's ever been during the holidays.