BajaNomad

Todos Santos, Pescadero/Cerritos, Loreto or Bahía concepcion for retirement - would love your opinion f

anapurna - 12-26-2017 at 08:17 AM

Hey there! This is a long post so I apologize in advance;)

I’m 44 with a three year old and my husband and I are very active (in fact we used to be climbing guides and worked in Baja as sea kayak guides out of Loreto and La Paz) - we are looking for a place to buy for current use and future retirement since right now the dollar is strong and we don’t like to work more than necessary so it seems a great time to buy.

For the life of me, despite repeated trips to various areas over 20 years, we can’t decide. Part of it is we consider that we may think right now that we’ll want to do x, y, and z when we retire but what if we are just Way off? For example we love to sea kayak, paddle board, kite surf, snorkel and camp on the beach and live really simply - so in that way Bahía Concepción seems perfect (except for kite surfing perhaps). But then I wonder if in the future those things will be less important and I’ll want to do more strolls along the beach and have a beautiful town to hang out in and be closer to medical care and shops etc and be ok with day trips for kayaking etc and not need them in town (thinking of todos Santos in that scenario)...I think it would be easier if only had to thinjnof what we wanted now vs for the future (but maybe that’s not true either)

For us here are the pros and cons of some places. If you know of someplace I’m not thinking of please do mention it (we prefer BCS). Please let me know what your thoughts are!

Todos Santos - love the town and hanging st nearby Cerritos beach for surfing and parties on the beach with friend, sunsets . don’t like that there’s only one or two nearby swimmable beaches (but how many beaches do you need?), however the beaches are gorgeous for sunsets and hanging out. can’t walk to the beach easily from town (so mostly need to drive if short on time). While the immediate town has lots of gringos we like that most of the rest of the area still has a great Mexican community. I grew up in Santa Cruz so like the hippy vibe of TS and the people I’ve met there have been great. For town hanging it’s my preferred spot. Can snorkel and kayak in a nearby bay by have to drive. Otherwise can drive to La Paz beaches for great kayaking but still a 90min drive. If there’s a spot in the area that would be a great compromise to this please let me know.

I like the Pescadero and Cerritos beach areas and their proximity to TS but feel they might be on an unplanned development rampage that will be regretful later...and you have to truck in water to Cerritos which feels weird since water will likely be the next oil. But love the beach there.

Loreto - don’t find the immediate beach sand that attractive, but the water is beautiful and warm and clean and swimmable Bahía Concepción is not too far a drive away (about Same as TS to Bahía Conce. ción). Nice that there’s a swimmable beach right there. If there’s a more groovy community like TS in the Loreto area I haven’t found it yet but t would be great...Mostly I love the sleepy vibe of Loreto and the access to Concepción and beach is right there. Don’t like the extreme Gringo factor in the areas w better beaches like Loreto Bay abd Nopolo

Bahía Concepción- my favorite beaches and activities to do there by far. Lack of access to healthcare is an issue there, and not sure if I’d want to live “remotely” in retirement age vs be closer to a bigger town and more community. Ive considered Mulegé but turned off by the floooding (maybe it’s not a big deal?) and get really bad reactions to bug bites and worry the river will make bugs worse (it’s been windy when I’ve been there so not an issue at the time)

I’ve considered Los Barillas but feels a little too “dude factor” for me with the sports fishing and kite surfing. But I suppose it’s still an option if there were a groovier part of town.

Ok thank you for the tips! (And for reading this far;)

PS we both speak fluent Spanish in case that’s a factor for anywhere. We are also in excellent health from being climbing guides for most of our adult lives. Now I’m a midwife and he’s a physician assistant.

[Edited on 12-26-2017 by anapurna]

drzura - 12-26-2017 at 08:37 AM

With all the drug violence in BCS, it may be good idea to hold off moving to Mexico full time for the time being. Just my $.02 for what its worth.....

anapurna - 12-26-2017 at 08:50 AM

drzura I thought the violence was more in the north but it does seem to be rising in the south now ... thanks for your 0.2c ;)

[Edited on 12-26-2017 by anapurna]

David K - 12-26-2017 at 08:56 AM

Punta Chivato (Shell Beach) may be a good compromise? Nice beaches in the area, near Concepción, and more importantly, near Santa Rosalia for medical needs/ hospital.

Los Barriles, "dude factor" That's pretty funny!

San Felipe is another option... great sand beaches and only 2-3 hours from the border. No clear scuba water there... but gets clear south of Puertecitos (50 miles).

anapurna - 12-26-2017 at 09:37 AM

Yes! I’ve considered Punta Chivato - I guess I’ve always considered it too far from a bigger place but seems I’m wrong. Is the community there nice?

AKgringo - 12-26-2017 at 09:39 AM

Like you, I have visited many parts of Baja and have found communities, and remote areas also that I would love to have a place of my own.

The problem I would have in making a decision right now, is that all of my visits have been between October and May. I would need to spend a summer in one of my favorite areas (mostly on the east side) before I could commit.

mtgoat666 - 12-26-2017 at 09:54 AM

Avoid the SOC side of the peninsula. The summers are really too hot, uninhabitable for 4 months of the year.

Your retirement is 20 years away. Be aware that climate warming means the area will only get warmer, and hurricane severity/frequency will increase, it appears....

I doubt RE prices will be going up much in 20 years, so consider waiting until retirement and choosing a place, buying property at that time.

bajalinda - 12-26-2017 at 10:03 AM

x2 what AKgringo says. You have considered lots of factors (which is great) except year round climate. Was your kayak guiding out of La Paz and Loreto in the summer? If so, you should know if you can tolerate the heat and humidity. If not, you need to spend time there in the summer before making any decision.

willardguy - 12-26-2017 at 10:07 AM

I think Shari and Blanca have the answer....;)

anapurna - 12-26-2017 at 10:09 AM

Excellent points! I’m so glad I asked here. Todos santos seems more appealing for summers although I know it canstil be hot and humid - I will definitely need to check out Summer there. I guided in septmerba few times and that was wicked hot but bearable. But as you said climate change will make things hotter. We live in Alaska now - maybe in 20 years it will be like Southern California;) except I hate the mosquitoes!

David K - 12-26-2017 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

It would be a great area, year-round... except she wanted to be near a hospital/medical facilities (I thought I read?). Guerrero Negro maybe has minor care available, but I think Santa Rosalia is better regarded. Naturally, neither would offer what is available north of the border, so I threw San Felipe into the idea mix, as it is 2 hours + from the border.

Climate change a concern? Well, it has been getting cooler the past 18 or so years, so the Cortez side might not be so bad for you weak Baja desert travelers! LOL We love the summer, bathing in heat and all our aches and pains vanishing as we float in the gulf waters!

If a nearby hospital is not as much an issue, take a look at Udo's place for sale, at Bahía Asunción. It is worth consideration, as Woody suggests! Year-round comfortable weather, offshore diving, fishing, desert exploring, seafood is wonderful... etc.

anapurna - 12-26-2017 at 05:10 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I don’t feel the need to be near a medical facility now since we’re so healthy and I expect good health as we age but am just trying to think of “but what would I want maybe even 30 years from now...”

Do you know if most folks start off retiring I. Mexico then move back to the states eventually?

Also, I could certainly delay buying but right now we have the cash, the dollar is strong in Mexico, and I plan to work less as time goes on, which is why I’d rather by now than later...

willardguy - 12-26-2017 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by anapurna  
Thanks for the ideas! I don’t feel the need to be near a medical facility now since we’re so healthy and I expect good health as we age but am just trying to think of “but what would I want maybe even 30 years from now...”

Do you know if most folks start off retiring I. Mexico then move back to the states eventually?

Also, I could certainly delay buying but right now we have the cash, the dollar is strong in Mexico, and I plan to work less as time goes on, which is why I’d rather by now than later...

heck, 30 years from now there'll be a Kaiser hospital in La Bocana! :lol: I'd start looking now....things are getting expensive down here!

surabi - 12-26-2017 at 07:06 PM

Todos Santos has a lovely Montessori school, which might count towards a positive as far as your 3 year old goes.

rhintransit - 12-27-2017 at 04:20 AM

20 year’s to go is a long long time, and everything changes, even in Baja. Now that I’ve joined the old timers group in Loreto, 12years, I can look back to the good old days when we walked upshill in the snow twenty miles to town to be happy to wrestle a shriveled tomato from a giant c-c-ckroach in one of the few tiendas in town. Now..., well, where do I start? I can’t even begin to imagine what another eight years will bring. I started in an off the grid palapa on the (rocky) beach of El Juncalito, moved to a small casita in Loreto and now (very happily) live in extreme gringolandia (Loreto Bay)and I currently love having electricity, not filling propane tanks, and arugula at Leys Yes, I plan to move back to the states when health becomes an issue. Infrastructure, medical services, and the activities...who can predict? Climate change, for sure...and those beautiful beaches and sunsets, too. Extreme gringo factor? Dude factor? Today’s sleepy village could be tomorrow’s hot spot. Nowhere is perfect, and nowhere will remain the same. If you want to buy now, buy for today...no place will stand still for you, and as a human it’s pretty much guaranteed your needs, wants, and desires will change over the years. Good luck,

[Edited on 12-27-2017 by rhintransit]

anapurna - 12-27-2017 at 07:10 PM

These are great tips - I have thought a lot about all your advice. I do think buying more for what we’ll use for the next 10-20 year will be a good idea, and go from there if we decide to stay even longer. I do think our needs willl change and it does appear no one place will necessarily fit all that. I’d love for my daughter to grow up knowing Baja well. I am leaning towards Bahía Concepción as a result... fingers crossed!

TMW - 12-27-2017 at 10:16 PM

Living in a hot climate can be managed. The heat on the east coast of Baja is not that much different than here in Bakersfield, except for humidity. I've lived here almost 20 years. Air conditioning is the norm for the hot times for car, home and business. If you work outside do it in the morning before noon. Remember there are people that live there year around and some without A/C.

BigBearRider - 12-27-2017 at 10:27 PM

These are great tips - I have thought a lot about all your advice. I do think buying more for what we’ll use for the next 10-20 year will be a good idea, and go from there if we decide to stay even longer. I do think our needs willl change and it does appear no one place will necessarily fit all that. I’d love for my daughter to grow up knowing Baja well. I am leaning towards Bahía Concepción as a result... fingers crossed!

Punta Chivato is similar to Bahia Concepcion in terms of natural beauty, minus the crowds and traffic noise. I love it.

Like you, I am 44. (You'll probably find that most gringos living in Baja are retired.) Our son is 4.5 years old. If it weren't for him, I would live in Baja already.

Now for some questions out of my own curiosity. Where in AK do you live now? Where have you guided? I've done some smaller climbs here and there, and I'm hoping maybe Elbrus is in store this summer.

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2017 at 10:50 PM

If you are going to buy a vacation home to enjoy while still working, then buy within 3 hours of home. If it’s further away, say 5 hours, you simply won’t use it much, you’ll just be paying to maintain a house you don’t use much.
Don’t buy a house now for retirement decades away... you got no idea what you’ll want decades from now.

And don’t invest anything in Mexico you are not willing to lose. Don’t plan on Mexican real estate appreciating. Plan as if property will be stolen from you, such happens often enough that it may happen to you,... so the advice: don’t invest anything in Mexico you are not willing to lose.

So buy a trailer today, an park it in idylwild or Mohave desert to enjoy today. When retired, tow that trailer to baja, and enjoy it there while it lasts....

anapurna - 12-28-2017 at 02:52 AM

All good thoughts!

I can work remotely for teaching so I would be able to be there for longer stretches of time

BugBearRider please do U2U me about climbing so I can answer your questions and not bore Baja folks w Alaska stories (which I have plenty of!)

How do you feel about Punta Chivato for kids vs closer to coyote beac etc? My main concern w Ojnta Chivato is there didn’t seem to be that many other kids to play with...

pauldavidmena - 12-28-2017 at 06:55 AM

I'm 58 and a few years away from retiring. About a year ago my wife and I found a house in El Pescadero that would have been perfect but we ultimately couldn't pull the proverbial trigger.

Goat's admonition about buying within three hours of home is a wise one. Living over 3000 miles away meant that we'd only be able to make the trip once or twice a year, and for only a week or two at a time. My wife owns her own business and is able to work remotely, but my job requires me in the office most of the time. All of these limitations caused us to take a more cautious approach.

It seems that you've structured your work lives a bit differently and are able to take this step now instead of later. I would heed the advice about renting before buying, even if it means a slight delay in your plans. I also agree that one needs to be very cautious purchasing property in Mexico as a foreigner and should adjust one's expectations accordingly.

If we haven't scared you away yet, go for it - and enjoy the ride!

Alm - 12-28-2017 at 04:41 PM

You don't know whether you'll live there all year round or winters only.
You are "considering" places like P. Chivato before ever going there.
You think at 44 and healthy you don't need to be close to medical facilities - I wish you all the best. There are many sudden conditions that don't ask how young you are.

If you have couple hundred grand to spare and itching to buy, - toss a coin.
I'm serious. You won't be able to make an informed decision that would hold up to the test of time 30 years down the road, and it doesn't look like you're trying hard to make one now. Go there (wherever you think is good for you). Rent something. Review your plans in a year or two.

Edit-PS: one more thing. I suggest including your husband in the decision-making process. You'll be surprised how differently he might view these things :)

[Edited on 12-28-2017 by Alm]

BajaBlanca - 12-28-2017 at 04:44 PM

boy oh boy, there is some excellent advice above.

Do you plan to homeschool? Or maybe put your child into a Mexican school? At his age he will be fluent in no time. I do recommend speaking only English at home so that he doesn't forget it.

Please heed the advice to rent rather than buy now. Trust me, we have all been around the block and have seen folks buy and one month later want to move on. You never ever really know a place until you have been there a while. I personally think 2 years isn't even enough. Rent. First. There will always be properties at a good price! People's needs change and presto presto, a great deal comes on the market.

I also recommend trying out Bahia Asuncion - so many wonderful folks and a great mix of mex and amer If your child gets hurt, YOU WANT A MEDICAL FACILITY and G Negro has it. Stay away from Santa Rosalia.

Where we live is fantastic but there are no American children, we are only 8 full timers and a handful of those who come a couple times a year. However, we have a huge supermarket which even supplies odd things like xmas trees in December! I asked for pretzels 2 weeks ago, and bingo, pretzels were on the shelf 3 days later. Priceless.

Alm - 12-28-2017 at 04:53 PM

I think both Sta Rosalia and GN have hospitals designated as "periferico". Which means - don't expect much ;)...

bezzell - 12-28-2017 at 05:09 PM

East Cape.
next

(too hot for 4 months?? omfg some folks have zero clue)

bajabuddha - 12-28-2017 at 05:13 PM

I've had a few dealings with the Sta Rosalia medical community, including the army base Dr's, and it's good for small urgent/emergent care, but I wouldn't wanna have anything serious to deal with there. Same goes with Loreto. Guerrero I dunno nuthin' about. If you're moving to Baja and have serious issues to worry about, La Paz is the place to be nearer to... or Ensenada.

Lee - 12-28-2017 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
If you're moving to Baja and have serious issues to worry about, La Paz is the place to be nearer to... or Ensenada.

If I had serious health issues I worried about, I'd be close to a US doctor and hospital. No problems with MX MD's. At least one MX hospital in Cabo is suspect. A MX neurologist treated my pneumonia in Todos last Spring -- his treatment and care was outstanding.

anapurna - 12-28-2017 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
You think at 44 and healthy you don't need to be close to medical facilities - I wish you all the best. There are many sudden conditions that don't ask how young you are.

I'm serious. You won't be able to make an informed decision that would hold up to the test of time 30 years down the road, and it doesn't look like you're trying hard to make one now. Go there (wherever you think is good for you). Rent something. Review your plans in a year or two.

Edit-PS: one more thing. I suggest including your husband in the decision-making process. You'll be surprised how differently he might view these things :)

Wow...did you even read my post in its entirety or just get the itch to be rude? I did ask about the factor of medical facilities, I HAVE been to Punta Chivato but just don't know the community well there re:kids. I work in an ER as a nurse and a nurse practitioner and have worked in refugee camps in Africa and in the bush in Alaska and as a climbing guide all voer the world involved in medical evacuations so am very well aware of "sudden conditions" at any age (sorry if I didn't send my CV to you). If I made all my decisions based purely on if I was near a medical facility I wouldn't have filled two passports in 20 years. It is one of many important issues to consider. I said I would not know what I wanted 30 years from now but you seemed to have skipped that part too. I never said I was not going to rent or that I have not spent considerable time in Bahia Concepcion where I was considering (I had guided there for years with Outward Bound). I was asking for advice on other people's experiences, not for some guy to tell me to consult my husband. I will be paying for this land myself and we have discussed here but I didn't think to mention that I consulted my husband on a forum based in America.

If you have some actual support to give to someone who loves baja and wants to spend more time here and thought this would be a great place to ask for advice, I'll read your next post. Otherwise I'll skip it.

4x4abc - 12-28-2017 at 06:58 PM

wow - some advice with life experience is rude?

Bottom line is that you can't make up your mind. We can't do that for you, but throw in a few words of wisdom. I know, that was probably rude as well.

With that in mind, try Todos Santos. Plenty of shrinks around.

Alm - 12-28-2017 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Bottom line is that you can't make up your mind.

Priorities are in disarray, requirements are unclear. Random decision will probably be made. Can't be helped, IMO.

mtgoat666 - 12-28-2017 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Wow...did you even read my post in its entirety or just get the itch to be rude? I did ask about the factor of medical facilities, I HAVE been to Punta Chivato but just don't know the community well there re:kids. I work in an ER as a nurse and a nurse practitioner and have worked in refugee camps in Africa and in the bush in Alaska and as a climbing guide all voer the world involved in medical evacuations so am very well aware of "sudden conditions" at any age (sorry if I didn't send my CV to you). If I made all my decisions based purely on if I was near a medical facility I wouldn't have filled two passports in 20 years. It is one of many important issues to consider. I said I would not know what I wanted 30 years from now but you seemed to have skipped that part too. I never said I was not going to rent or that I have not spent considerable time in Bahia Concepcion where I was considering (I had guided there for years with Outward Bound). I was asking for advice on other people's experiences, not for some guy to tell me to consult my husband. I will be paying for this land myself and we have discussed here but I didn't think to mention that I consulted my husband on a forum based in America.

If you have some actual support to give to someone who loves baja and wants to spend more time here and thought this would be a great place to ask for advice, I'll read your next post. Otherwise I'll skip it.

take a chill pill! Crikey! You want hand-holding-advice and a support group, we’ll, just say so, perhaps someone can refer you to such a website.

Alm - 12-28-2017 at 09:55 PM

... I HAVE been to Punta Chivato

People can't read your mind. No need to yell, this doesn't usually help.

pauldavidmena - 12-29-2017 at 06:10 AM

I don't think the OP is indecisive as much as in need of more information. Nomads who have made the move can fill in the gaps with their own experience, but ultimately she is going to have to gather the most pertinent data by being in Baja and experiencing it in multiple places and in all seasons.

I do think that Todos Santos strikes a balance between Mexican authenticity and the things that make American expats comfortable. That's not to say that the balance won't shift over time, which often seems to be the case.

[Edited on 12-29-2017 by pauldavidmena]

8knots - 12-29-2017 at 07:05 AM

It was an interesting discussion until the sanctimonious, all knowing trogs blessed us with their biting wisdom. It is just a discussion....no need to eviscerate a light hearted discussion. Achieves nothing.

LancairDriver - 12-29-2017 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
It was an interesting discussion until the sanctimonious, all knowing trogs blessed us with their biting wisdom. It is just a discussion....no need to eviscerate a light hearted discussion. Achieves nothing.

Well said. It is impossible to estimate how many future contributors have been turned off to this forum by the same few who always turn an honest request for information into sarcastic blathering. Good for those who share their experience in a helpful, courteous manner.

Special Ed - 12-29-2017 at 10:53 AM

^^^
this
baja gatekeeping

bajaric - 12-29-2017 at 11:45 AM

Regarding the best place to live, my experience with Baja Sur is limited. A loooong time ago spent a few days in a little rustic beach house near La Paz, in August. The snorkeling was amazing, dorado were cavorting just offshore, and the air temperature and the water temperature were both around 90 degrees F. Even laying on a cot outside with no sheets it was too hot to sleep; after a couple days the only thing we were interested in was air conditioning. Same trip stayed at Cabo, temp was better, camped on beach back when you could do that.
Regarding the rest its not clear if you intend to move there now and live there full time, or continue to work in the US. If you are thinking to buy now and retire later I don't really see any rush. Real estate is usually a much better investment if you acquire property during the depths of a recession rather than the tail end of a long economic expansion. Wait for the next crash while you are staring at snow drifts and dreaming of warm sand between your toes, if you can stand it, and maybe get a lot more for your money when the cycle turns. To maintain a vacant property that is several thousand miles away from where you live and work is problematic. You may find yourself dealing with the increasingly popular summer tradition of "stealing the solar system from the vacant rich gringo house". best of luck in whatever you decide.

BigBearRider - 12-30-2017 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Regarding the best place to live, my experience with Baja Sur is limited. A loooong time ago spent a few days in a little rustic beach house near La Paz, in August. The snorkeling was amazing, dorado were cavorting just offshore, and the air temperature and the water temperature were both around 90 degrees F. Even laying on a cot outside with no sheets it was too hot to sleep; after a couple days the only thing we were interested in was air conditioning. Same trip stayed at Cabo, temp was better, camped on beach back when you could do that.
Regarding the rest its not clear if you intend to move there now and live there full time, or continue to work in the US. If you are thinking to buy now and retire later I don't really see any rush. Real estate is usually a much better investment if you acquire property during the depths of a recession rather than the tail end of a long economic expansion. Wait for the next crash while you are staring at snow drifts and dreaming of warm sand between your toes, if you can stand it, and maybe get a lot more for your money when the cycle turns. To maintain a vacant property that is several thousand miles away from where you live and work is problematic. You may find yourself dealing with the increasingly popular summer tradition of "stealing the solar system from the vacant rich gringo house". best of luck in whatever you decide.

Excellent point about buying during crashes.

shari - 12-30-2017 at 07:57 AM

Lots of diverse advice here for you to peruse. Each person has their own vision of paradise & tolerance level for heat and dudes...hahaha.
I knew I wanted to live in latin america and looked in many countries and many parts of Mexico.

Really hard to decide but like you, I had my list of priorities which included livable year round climate, work possibilities, school for my toddler daughter, safety, pristine beaches, affordable place on the water. I found countries like Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama were too far away for people to visit so Mexico was a better choice.

I camped all over Mexico and lived in Guerrero Negro for 9 years as I had a job there. When a friend brought me out to Bahia Asuncion, I KNEW I found my paradise in the first 2 minutes I set foot on the rock at the blowhole....where I now live!

I just knew it was right...and it is. So my best advice is cover alot of ground, stay places for weeks at a time, talk to people, take your time and your paradise will reveal itself to you!

surabi - 1-2-2018 at 08:10 PM

Anapurna- yes, there seem to be a lot of bored, snarky old men on this forum who think they are clever and funny- just ignore them.

rts551 - 1-3-2018 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

These places lack the big city atmosphere and are not "cool" enough.

rts551 - 1-3-2018 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
boy oh boy, there is some excellent advice above.

Do you plan to homeschool? Or maybe put your child into a Mexican school? At his age he will be fluent in no time. I do recommend speaking only English at home so that he doesn't forget it.

Please heed the advice to rent rather than buy now. Trust me, we have all been around the block and have seen folks buy and one month later want to move on. You never ever really know a place until you have been there a while. I personally think 2 years isn't even enough. Rent. First. There will always be properties at a good price! People's needs change and presto presto, a great deal comes on the market.

I also recommend trying out Bahia Asuncion - so many wonderful folks and a great mix of mex and amer If your child gets hurt, YOU WANT A MEDICAL FACILITY and G Negro has it. Stay away from Santa Rosalia.

Where we live is fantastic but there are no American children, we are only 8 full timers and a handful of those who come a couple times a year. However, we have a huge supermarket which even supplies odd things like xmas trees in December! I asked for pretzels 2 weeks ago, and bingo, pretzels were on the shelf 3 days later. Priceless.

Blanca,"large supermarket" must be a REALTIVE TERM...Lol.

anapurna - 1-9-2018 at 09:52 AM

Hi Paul,

Yes, I am looking for more information about people's personal experience in certain areas, not for telling me where to go per se. I've gotten mostly useful information and folks have messaged me about their experiences so thanks for getting the purpose of my post;)

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I don't think the OP is indecisive as much as in need of more information. Nomads who have made the move can fill in the gaps with their own experience, but ultimately she is going to have to gather the most pertinent data by being in Baja and experiencing it in multiple places and in all seasons.

I do think that Todos Santos strikes a balance between Mexican authenticity and the things that make American expats comfortable. That's not to say that the balance won't shift over time, which often seems to be the case.

[Edited on 12-29-2017 by pauldavidmena]

anapurna - 1-9-2018 at 09:58 AM

Excellent point about the recession - right now the dollar is much stronger in mexico than it was 7-8 years ago, so when I've looked at places in being sold in pesos its much more reasonable that what people bought them for. There seems to be lots of places for sale by people who bought them for too much to begin with, so they're asking a ridiculous price. But the land being sold by people who bought before the boom seem to be more reasonable...

This is more off-topic but it seems the dollar may get weaker in Mexico in the future...but I'm no economist and certainly won't make the decision just based on that. But it's a good thought.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

anapurna - 1-9-2018 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Lots of diverse advice here for you to peruse. Each person has their own vision of paradise & tolerance level for heat and dudes...hahaha.
I knew I wanted to live in latin america and looked in many countries and many parts of Mexico.

Really hard to decide but like you, I had my list of priorities which included livable year round climate, work possibilities, school for my toddler daughter, safety, pristine beaches, affordable place on the water. I found countries like Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama were too far away for people to visit so Mexico was a better choice.

...So my best advice is cover alot of ground, stay places for weeks at a time, talk to people, take your time and your paradise will reveal itself to you!

Yes, similar priorities indeed and I will heed that advice! I tend to be impatient so it's good to remember it will reveal itself ;)