BajaNomad

Passport renewal

Howard - 12-29-2017 at 05:53 PM

Has anyone applied for a renewal in the last month or so? If so, what did you experience the turn around time to be?

Has anyone used the expedited services that I have heard about? Does it really work for a much shorter turn around time? If you have had a positive experience, please let me know the contact information and the approximate additional cost.

Just in case, has anyone personally experienced
crossing Northbound without your passport while your renewal is being processed? Other than probably being pulled into secondary, how much more of a hassle was it? I have a valid California D.L. and Veteran I.D. and all sorts of credit cards in my name.

Not concerned about driving Southbound as I have a Residente Residente card.

Thank you

[Edited on 12-30-2017 by Howard]

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2017 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

Has anyone used the expedited services that I have heard about? Does it really work for a much shorter turn around time? If you have had a positive experience, please let me know the contact information and the approximate additional cost.

Expedited passport is easy. 24 hours to get appt. 24 to 48 hours to get passport Yes, costs extra, but cost was reasonable.
If you want cost and instructions, go to state dept website, info is all there.

BornFisher - 12-29-2017 at 06:24 PM

Crossing NB is NO problem. Drivers license is fine, you won`t even get lectured!!!

Cliffy - 12-29-2017 at 09:02 PM

Just renewed ours Came back in 3 weeks. Faster than we expected around Christmas time.

sancho - 12-29-2017 at 09:45 PM

Cliff, Did you go thru the Post Office for a renewal?

Cliffy - 12-29-2017 at 11:33 PM

No we can't do that at our post office. We got the form on line and mailed directly to Philly.

woody with a view - 12-30-2017 at 07:40 AM

Just tell the guard the truth and show your DL.

shari - 12-30-2017 at 08:31 AM

why dont you renew it in CAbo? I got my canuck passport renewed there at the canadian embassy...just sent my birth certificate and form and money in and in a couple weeks they sent it all back to me easy peasy.

Bajaboy - 12-30-2017 at 08:33 AM

Took our kids in to get their passports yesterday. Stated time for new passports is 4-6 weeks but clerk told us most have been getting theirs in 2-3 weeks.

wilderone - 12-30-2017 at 08:47 AM

No appt. needed. Do it online. You need to print out some stuff (printing capability). I took my own photo too (but you can get one at CVS stores, other places). I'm sure with a birth cert, driver license, copy of passport (you have those, right?), northbound crossing would not be a hassle.

volcano - 12-31-2017 at 09:12 AM

the online expedited buisineses that renew passports do exactly what they say they will do...you pay according to how fast you need it...yes,,used the 1 week turn around one when I realized my passport was expiring while I would be away.

Marc - 12-31-2017 at 01:48 PM

Lost mine November 16 in AZ. Applied for renewal later in the month in person in San Fransicko. Passport came two weeks later.

[Edited on 12-31-2017 by Marc]

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2017 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by volcano  
the online expedited buisineses that renew passports do exactly what they say they will do...you pay according to how fast you need it...yes,,used the 1 week turn around one when I realized my passport was expiring while I would be away.

You don’t need to use a third party business. They just do what you can do: go get an expedited passport at state department passport office. There are offices in San Diego and LA, and many other cities...

John Harper - 12-31-2017 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
get an expedited passport at state department passport office. There are offices in San Diego and LA, and many other cities...

Hurry, while the State Department still exists.

John

TMW - 12-31-2017 at 02:43 PM

I renewed my passport the first part of Dec. and got it it in about 3 weeks. I used the on line form. Mailed it with a tracking # at the post office.

Passport Renewal fee is $110.
Expedited fee is additional $60.
New or lost Passport there is an additional Acceptance fee of $25.

Howard - 12-31-2017 at 04:56 PM

Thank you all for the information. It was quite helpful.

This information is what this web site is all about, sharing ones information on Baja and related Baja travel questions.

See how good sharing can be playing nicely in the sand box, correct? :biggrin:

[Edited on 12-31-2017 by Howard]