advrider - 1-5-2018 at 06:17 PM

Very cool, looks like some dust to glory stuff1

JZ - 1-5-2018 at 06:28 PM

Here is the video clip.

blackwolfmt - 1-5-2018 at 06:45 PM

looks like a blast for sure:bounce:

dirt-bike-smiley-emoticon.gif - 43kB

David K - 1-5-2018 at 08:03 PM

Perhaps inspired by the scene in the film On Any Sunday which showed Malcolm Smith doing the same in the 1967 Mexican 1000?

StuckSucks - 1-6-2018 at 09:36 AM

Love that shot (wish I was there)!!

AKgringo - 1-6-2018 at 09:57 AM

Probably inspired more by the fact that JZ has some pretty cool toys, and is willing to share the experience with us!

David K - 1-6-2018 at 11:49 AM

Yes indeed, and we sure enjoy the drone videos. Nice to stay on the dust cloud as it moves across the lakebed! Thank you JZ!

Drone piloting Q

caj13 - 1-6-2018 at 09:42 PM

Hey JZ,
a bit off topic, but can I ask you a drone pilot Q. So I am making educational videos for my students, nothing fancy, just giving them a taste of various natural wonders, and what our research looks like. And obviously a Drone would really make those videos jump up a notch. So I bought a tiny micro drone quad copter - just to start learning how to fly em (4 axis)

so I'm doing OK, but have the usual problem, when the drone turns around, or goes past me, the controls are essentailly flipped - up becomes down, left becomes right - you surely know what I'm talking about.

So my question is - if you go to a drone with a camera - i assume you are feeding the video back through a smart phone, and using that image to pilot the drone? And if thats the case - does that eliminate the flipped controls conundrum, because your perspective always stays the same?

[Edited on 1-7-2018 by caj13]

JZ - 1-6-2018 at 11:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Hey JZ,
a bit off topic, but can I ask you a drone pilot Q. So I am making educational videos for my students, nothing fancy, just giving them a taste of various natural wonders, and what our research looks like. And obviously a Drone would really make those videos jump up a notch. So I bought a tiny micro drone quad copter - just to start learning how to fly em (4 axis)

so I'm doing OK, but have the usual problem, when the drone turns around, or goes past me, the controls are essentailly flipped - up becomes down, left becomes right - you surely know what I'm talking about.

So my question is - if you go to a drone with a camera - i assume you are feeding the video back through a smart phone, and using that image to pilot the drone? And if thats the case - does that eliminate the flipped controls conundrum, because your perspective always stays the same?

[Edited on 1-7-2018 by caj13]

Get a DJI Mavic and you won't experience any of that. Streams straight to your phone or iPad.

You can find them new or nearly new on craigslist these day for $700 to $800. To put that in prospective, that's not much more than a decent camera lens.

They practically fly themselves.

bajaric - 1-9-2018 at 03:42 PM

Great image jizzy. inspires me to listen to 1980's hair band music.

basautter - 1-10-2018 at 06:51 PM

Awesome! I will re-create the moment in April :bounce::bounce:

David K - 1-11-2018 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Awesome! I will re-create the moment in April :bounce::bounce:

IF there isn't much rain!

BajaTed - 1-11-2018 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Perhaps inspired by the scene in the film On Any Sunday which showed Malcolm Smith doing the same in the 1967 Mexican 1000?

While spectating the 2006 Baja 1000, we ran into Malcom Smith in that same vicinity, the twinkle in his eyes as he told the story of riding Lake C. over the decades was a only in Baja moment for me.:cool:

David K - 1-11-2018 at 10:52 AM

Very very cool!:bounce::cool:

Doug/Vamonos - 1-12-2018 at 07:59 AM

My neighbors and I recently bought DJI drones and have been playing with them at the Bay. I have the Phantom 3 Standard. Neighbor has Mavic Pro. Both are awesome and SIMPLE to fly. His is much more awesome, but my Phantom is still really cool. Just doesn't fly as far or high and his camera is 4,000k. If you want to try it I say absolutely buy one. No reason whatsoever to be intimidated. They seriously fly themselves. You just steer them once in a while. Go for it! It is unbelievable how capable they are for such a small amount of money.