BajaNomad

TIP refund in Tecate?

unbob - 1-9-2018 at 09:02 AM

I purchased my TIP at the Banjercito office at km21 south of Nogales in Oct 2017. I then crossed on the ferry to La Paz.

I'm now planning to drive up the peninsula in late March to do some side trips, etc and then cross at Tecate.

Has anyone here purchased their TIP at km21 south of Nogales and then later obtained the TIP refund in Tecate? If so, when? Recently? Or years ago? Also, is the Banjercito office in Tecate easy to find?

I surely don't want to arrive in Tecate to discover I can't get my $300usd deposit refunded!!

Thx, Rob

JZ - 1-9-2018 at 12:49 PM

I've gotten one at k21 and returned it at Otay in the last couple of years.

Not sure Tecate has an office. A quick Google Maps search says they don't.

unbob - 1-13-2018 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I've gotten one at k21 and returned it at Otay in the last couple of years.

Not sure Tecate has an office. A quick Google Maps search says they don't.
This PDF lists all the Banjercito locations (as of Dec 2017) - https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/284560/modulo...

Tecate is listed. However, probably not safe to assume they all issue TIP deposit refunds! Better call to confirm.

bajaguy - 1-13-2018 at 07:25 PM

Use the Banjercito office in Ensenada. Right on Reforma (Hwy 1). Easy parking, then hit Hwy 3 north of town to Tecate

bajagrouper - 1-14-2018 at 08:47 AM

bajaguy, so you where able to get your refund at the Ensenada office? I am coming across from Mazatlan to La Paz and I called La Paz and they said only Oaty Mesa and Mexicali were able to refund the TIP deposit....

bajaguy - 1-14-2018 at 08:59 AM

I was just suggesting an office. I have never tried Ensenada. Don't know why it wouldn't work unless they want you exactly at the border

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
bajaguy, so you where able to get your refund at the Ensenada office? I am coming across from Mazatlan to La Paz and I called La Paz and they said only Oaty Mesa and Mexicali were able to refund the TIP deposit....