BajaNomad

Todos Hotel California lawsuit settled

Lee - 1-19-2018 at 01:13 AM

''The Eagles have settled a lawsuit filed last year to prevent a Mexican hotel from calling itself Hotel California. The hoteliers, Hotel California Baja LLC, withdrew their application for a U.S. trademark, according to Reuters.''

Looks like a Mexican/American Standoff.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-settle-lawsui...

pauldavidmena - 1-19-2018 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Looks like a Mexican/American Standoff.

It looks like both parties decided to remain on their respective side of the wall.

willardguy - 1-19-2018 at 10:17 AM

another win, for the attorney's ;)

bajagrouper - 1-19-2018 at 11:20 AM

Funny how in the article it states:""In their response, the hoteliers denied wrongdoing. The company said it was unlikely fans would be confused.""

And just a few days ago someone on trip advisor asks:

""Hotel California
Jan 16, 2018, 2:15 AM
Thinking about booking a day tour to Todos Santos to see the famous Hotel California. Tourist trap or a must see?! Thanks!""

David K - 1-19-2018 at 11:28 AM

The hotel in Todos Santos has been called the Hotel California since before the Eagles were in high school, maybe before they were born?

California was originally the peninsula that we now call Baja California. Baja was added to the name because the Spanish began to colonize the land north of the peninsula (in 1769) and did not have a name for this new land. The referred to it as New California or Upper (Alta) California. To avoid confusion over which California, the peninsula began to be called Old California or Lower (Baja) California.

Americans simply dropped the Alta from the name California. Mexicans did not drop Baja, however, when the two Californias were separated.

Baja was California first! :light:

bajagrouper - 1-19-2018 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for the history lesson Professor DK........LOL

Udo - 1-19-2018 at 12:34 PM

:bounce:

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
another win, for the attorney's ;)

fishbuck - 1-19-2018 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The hotel in Todos Santos has been called the Hotel California since before the Eagles were in high school, maybe before they were born?

California was originally the peninsula that we now call Baja California. Baja was added to the name because the Spanish began to colonize the land north of the peninsula (in 1769) and did not have a name for this new land. The referred to it as New California or Upper (Alta) California. To avoid confusion over which California, the peninsula began to be called Old California or Lower (Baja) California.

Americans simply dropped the Alta from the name California. Mexicans did not drop Baja, however, when the two Californias were separated.

Baja was California first! :light:

I though so! That is why I always say " Baja is the California I was looking for"
I thought Southern California was what I was looking for. But after living there for 30years...
Thank God a place called Baja California exists...
"You can check out anytime you want... but you can never leave..."

BajaBlanca - 1-19-2018 at 02:30 PM

Sounds like both parties are happy now that that is settled!

Hook - 1-19-2018 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
Funny how in the article it states:""In their response, the hoteliers denied wrongdoing. The company said it was unlikely fans would be confused.""

And just a few days ago someone on trip advisor asks:

""Hotel California
Jan 16, 2018, 2:15 AM
Thinking about booking a day tour to Todos Santos to see the famous Hotel California. Tourist trap or a must see?! Thanks!""

I dont see how this indicates confusion over whether the hotel has anything to do with the Eagles. The hotel is moderately famous in its own right.

While David's history lesson is interesting and accurate to a point, the fact that Hotel California was the original name in 1950, but had been renamed something else until the current owners bought it in 2001 (and changed it back) is somewhat suspicious. That was well after the song became so famous. Couple this with the fact that they were playing the song constantly indicates to me that they were trying to monetize the connection, however small.

Anyway, I'm uncertain; is the hotel allowed to continue using the name? It seems so.

elgatoloco - 1-19-2018 at 03:04 PM

They can use the name they just will not trademark the name in the US as they were attempting to do. Eagles were in the right to protect their 'brand'.

"The hoteliers, Hotel California Baja LLC, withdrew their application for a U.S. trademark, according to Reuters."

Lee - 1-20-2018 at 01:07 PM

Doesn't matter how long the name has been used in Todos. I've read travel articles that asked the question: is this the place the Eagles wrote about? The owners are fine if that myth is kept alive.

fishbuck - 1-20-2018 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Doesn't matter how long the name has been used in Todos. I've read travel articles that asked the question: is this the place the Eagles wrote about? The owners are fine if that myth is kept alive.

That's where I am at with this. If you want to believe... believe and be happy.
I don't care if it's ckicken or egg on this.
I like my fantasies... they're all mine!
And it's very happy inside my head.

Maybe it's the colitas...

tehag - 1-20-2018 at 06:36 PM

In defense of DK's contribution I ask, "What's is wrong with some accurate historical information amidst the blather?"

Under pressure from the church next door, the Hotel changed its name to, "Hotel Misión de Todos Santos" in the 1970s.

Anyway, good for them in ending the game. Continuing the litigation would probably only have benefited the attorneys, and they surely could have dragged it on for several careers.

imlost - 1-20-2018 at 06:47 PM

Ironically, the picture on the front of the Eagles Hotel California album is not of the Hotel California - it's of the Beverly Hills Hotel. It seems the Eagles are not so innocent of borrowing an icon, either.

norte - 1-21-2018 at 06:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tehag  
In defense of DK's contribution I ask, "What's is wrong with some accurate historical information amidst the blather?"

Under pressure from the church next door, the Hotel changed its name to, "Hotel Misión de Todos Santos" in the 1970s.

Anyway, good for them in ending the game. Continuing the litigation would probably only have benefited the attorneys, and they surely could have dragged it on for several careers.

Because as usual, maybe it had nothing to do with the topic of the thread, and everything to do with him.

tehag - 1-21-2018 at 09:13 AM

DK's first sentence could not have addressed the subject any better, in my opinion.

His history lesson is certainly not out of line either.

DK gets some ill treatment on this site. I can't pretend to know why, but it usually seems rather more personal than objective.

wilderone - 1-21-2018 at 10:55 AM

"Eagles were in the right to protect their 'brand'."
But not smart enough to trademark the title (IF it could have been trademarked - which is doubtful beause song titles and common lexicon generally fall outside the uniqueness requirement of the words intended to be trademarked). The hotel failed for the same reason and abandoned their attempt. It's not illegal for a hotel to sell T-shirts with its name on them. And I'll bet that's not the only Hotel California in existence.

It's NOT Nit-Picking

MrBillM - 1-21-2018 at 11:39 AM

While the Baja hotel conflict "may" seem insignificant and criticize the Eagles for their brand protection, it is worth noting that a failure to take action in even the smaller conflicts could be used by the defense in other infringement cases of greater import.

Here in YV years back, the old Dairy Queen was reopened as "Corona's Mexican Restaurant" and, fairly quickly, found themselves in a legal action with the brewer. It soon became "Santana's."

As to David K :

Whatever your opinion of his "opinions", when it comes to Baja, he KNOWS more than anybody else here and shares his factual comprehensive (sometimes pedantic) knowledge freely.

THAT will always draw (jealous ?) fire.

Jack Swords - 1-21-2018 at 11:50 AM

Always been curious where "Todos" is located.

willardguy - 1-21-2018 at 11:52 AM

Eagles? I hope the Vikings dismantle em! David K? who gives a chit! MrBill? STFU!

:P

Tough Choice !

MrBillM - 1-21-2018 at 02:56 PM

Pour moi.

Deciding whether I care less about the musical Eagles or the NFL version.

Not having attended an NFL game since 1994 and not watched a game (sort of) since attending a neighborly get-together in Percebu back in 2010, I would have to say my indifference to the football version is secondary to my distaste for the music.

Especially THAT song.

Which, thanks to the pop station that my last ex-wife (and friends) listened to, seemed to play every few minutes.

Anyway, the STFU thought is a wish never to be attained.

Until that fateful final day.

Where else can one have so much fun so cheaply ?